AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-01-28, 10:47   Link #5781
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoko Takeo View Post
This counts for pretty much any news service around the world. The reason for this is because first of all, the people who spread the news are out to make a profit. They make a profit by presenting us with news that they believe audiences find interesting. And it's not as if they don't know what the masses find interesting....

...In the end, politicians and reporters are out for a profit, not caring whether or not people get the full picture, and neither one is willing to allow others to make their own opinions of what is really happening.
In an age where any twit can broadcast his or her own uniquely colourful opinions to the rest of world at the touch of a button, it is profoundly flattering to note that the public still retains such high regard for the mass media's ability to control the hearts and minds of well-educated people who have vast stores superbly indexed data at their disposal to search for absolutely non-biased information.

Heartened by such support, I hereby pledge in this coming year to uphold the media's neverending effort to brainwash the people while doing the utmost to line my own pockets.
Old 2010-01-28, 11:08   Link #5782
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
The problem is Oriely masquerades as a newscaster, who bringing "truth and balanced" news to you, the same goes for all the opinion people, who are just "trying to bring the truth" to your home. It's fine to be a pundit/opinion machine but to claim a spade is not a spade is just wrong, because again the people who watch t.v. as their main source of information, and to an extent the people on the internet are extremely gullible.

The news sells when the peddle fear, and what sells better than war and the possible end to civilization of the world. That's why you see hollywood pushing the end of the world movies because humans are afraid, and once they are afraid it is easy to capitavate them because fear makes us less rational, less logical, and with fear we are addicted to knowing about our fate, that's why late night news casts always try to hook their viewers with fear mongering headlines, fear that forces you to watch.
I stopped watching news stations well over 10 years ago. Infact, even though I have cable internet, I do not have a cable box, and do not watch tv. At all. I'll go to a sports bar or hang out with my dad to watch football. That's it. There's just so much crap on TV, and I can find so much more through the internet, it's not even funny. And you're right about news selling fear. That's why 99% of the stories you here are about wars, murders in nearby cities, criminals on the loose, and anything else negative they can come up with.

Don't even get me started on the reality shows... What a waste of space.
Old 2010-01-28, 11:10   Link #5783
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
I stopped watching news stations well over 10 years ago. Infact, even though I have cable internet, I do not have a cable box, and do not watch tv. At all. I'll go to a sports bar or hang out with my dad to watch football. That's it. There's just so much crap on TV, and I can find so much more through the internet, it's not even funny. And you're right about news selling fear. That's why 99% of the stories you here are about wars, murders in nearby cities, criminals on the loose, and anything else negative they can come up with.

Reality TV destroys brain tissue. I intend to try and scientifically prove this when I graduate.

If I get funding.
Old 2010-01-28, 11:30   Link #5784
justinstrife

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Reality TV destroys brain tissue. I intend to try and scientifically prove this when I graduate.

If I get funding.
I'll campaign for you to get funding.
Old 2010-01-28, 11:33   Link #5785
Nosauz

Quote:
I'll campaign for you to get funding.
seriously just from hearing people talking about Jersey shore, I felt my brain slightly implode, I think i might be having an aneurysm right now.
Old 2010-01-28, 11:35   Link #5786
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
seriously just from hearing people talking about Jersey shore, I felt my brain slightly implode, I think i might be having an aneurysm right now.
I knew Jersey Shore was a car wreck the moment I found out there was a guy who calls himself The Situation. I mean, come on.
Old 2010-01-28, 12:00   Link #5787
justinstrife

Quote:
When you have hours and hours and hours of American Idol, Survivor, Who wants to Marry a Millionaire, etc, etc, you know Humanity as we know it, has long since peaked as a species and is on the way down.
Old 2010-01-28, 12:04   Link #5788
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
When you have hours and hours and hours of American Idol, Survivor, Who wants to Marry a Millionaire, etc, etc, you know Humanity as we know it, has long since peaked as a species and is on the way down.
You forgot The Biggest Loser.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-01-28, 12:15   Link #5789
justinstrife

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
You forgot The Biggest Loser.
touch'e.

Old 2010-01-28, 12:28   Link #5790
cors8
Kuu-chan is hungry

Quote:
touch'e.

I enjoy Top Chef and The Amazing Race though. I think these types of reality shows are good.
Old 2010-01-28, 12:33   Link #5791
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
In an age where any twit can broadcast his or her own uniquely colourful opinions to the rest of world at the touch of a button, it is profoundly flattering to note that the public still retains such high regard for the mass media's ability to control the hearts and minds of well-educated people who have vast stores superbly indexed data at their disposal to search for absolutely non-biased information.

Heartened by such support, I hereby pledge in this coming year to uphold the media's neverending effort to brainwash the people while doing the utmost to line my own pockets.
You seem to also be taking account of individuals on the internet when you mention the bolded part. I was only referring to the more massive organizations such as NBC, CNN, what have you. Thanks for your contribution though.
Old 2010-01-28, 12:45   Link #5792
james0246

Famed controversial liberal historian Howard Zinn has passed away.

Howard Zinn, historian who challenged status quo, dies at 87

Quote:
Howard Zinn, the Boston University historian and political activist who was an early opponent of US involvement in Vietnam and whose books, such as "A People's History of the United States," inspired young and old to rethink the way textbooks present the American experience, died today in Santa Monica, Calif, where he was traveling. He was 87.

His daughter, Myla Kabat-Zinn of Lexington, said he suffered a heart attack.

"He's made an amazing contribution to American intellectual and moral culture," Noam Chomsky, the left-wing activist and MIT professor, said tonight. "He's changed the conscience of America in a highly constructive way. I really can't think of anyone I can compare him to in this respect."

As he wrote in his autobiography, "You Can't Be Neutral on a Moving Train" (1994), "From the start, my teaching was infused with my own history. I would try to be fair to other points of view, but I wanted more than 'objectivity'; I wanted students to leave my classes not just better informed, but more prepared to relinquish the safety of silence, more prepared to speak up, to act against injustice wherever they saw it. This, of course, was a recipe for trouble."
Old 2010-01-28, 12:46   Link #5793
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cors8 View Post
I enjoy Top Chef and The Amazing Race though. I think these types of reality shows are good.
I'd agree with you if it were back during its first few seasons (when it was filled with more desirable stories/people/competition), now it just feels tired.

Overall reality TV is ethically and morally reprehensible. Then again that wasn't even much a bother to me in the early days of this reality TV 2000s boom. Heck I loved watching Jackass, Viva la Bam, American idol, Survivor, The Amazing Race, all of it (I still hated the Real World though). All reality TV has done now is become stale and less "realistic" than it ever has been. Lots of shows often feel contrived, as if the winner is already predetermined (in which some cases that may very well be true). Everything is copied off what has worked before, but with very poor results.

Jackass was great at what it did, but after it's success along came the copycats and they lacked (in my opinion) the quality of "over-the-top stupidity" that jackass had. These shows actually seemed less real than Jackass (which is very wierd to say the least). American Idol is a huge shell of what it used to be and I don't even bother to watch Survivor. Just none of it holds any interest to me like it used to and there is just too much of it these days.
Old 2010-01-28, 12:47   Link #5794
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:

i stop watching tv the moment suvivor came on. haven't miss it since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post

If I get funding.
on the cover of your grant application just put the word "for the children" on it.
Old 2010-01-28, 13:17   Link #5795
justsomeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Famed controversial liberal historian Howard Zinn has passed away.

Howard Zinn, historian who challenged status quo, dies at 87
My American History class back in high school used his book, as well as primary sources. There's no better way to crush rosy views of the past than to read the ugly history of the US, along with the racism and hutzpah. Of course, that's not to say that other countries have not been worse in many instances.
Old 2010-01-28, 13:17   Link #5796
karthak
Baruk Khazad

John Stewart takes the democrats to the cleaners:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_440050.html

My favorite part?: To top it off, he unveiled a new logo for the DNC: a lifeless possum. Explained Mandvi: "It says, 'You can't hurt us anymore. Because we're already dead.'"
Old 2010-01-28, 13:46   Link #5797
cors8
Kuu-chan is hungry

J.D. Salinger, author of "The Catcher in the Rye", has died at the age of 91.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_obit_salinger

His book was definitely one of the better ones that I was forced to read in high school.
Old 2010-01-28, 13:54   Link #5798
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:

His book was definitely one of the better ones that I was forced to read in high school.
didn't get it while reading it in high school but made more sense as i got older.
Old 2010-01-28, 14:40   Link #5799
james0246

Quote:

I was never a big fan of Catcher, but I certainly appreciate the impact the book had on the world (well, at least the US).

Honestly, and I hate to sound callous, but the first thought I had when I read the news, was that now Salinger would never appear on the Colbert Report...

Last edited by james0246; 2010-01-28 at 15:03.
Old 2010-01-28, 15:09   Link #5800
mg1942

More Toyota woes...

Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international