AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

Old 2008-10-14, 13:22   Link #961
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight View Post
Yeah her whole shouting and then leaping forward into the formal bow was weird. I don't remember her coming off as that spastic in the manga/novels...
My first thought was "is this supposed to be some kind of lame Girl Who Leapt Through Time reference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy001_M1A2
Minorin is ADHD poster child, Ryuji is a OCD standard bearer, Taiga has anti-social tendencies and soon to come Ami is a histrionic hedonist princess. Kitamura has god complex.
The best kind of ensemble theatre...
Old 2008-10-14, 14:28   Link #962
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy001_M1A2 View Post
Minorin is ADHD poster child, Ryuji is a OCD standard bearer, Taiga has anti-social tendencies and soon to come Ami is a histrionic hedonist princess. Kitamura has god complex.

What is there not to love about this series?
Minori and Kitamura's idiocy is more painful (痛い痛い痛い痛い) than funny...

It's already cooled down (thankfully), but just to say, but whining about whiners isn't any better than whining about the anime not following the novel.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-14, 14:41   Link #963
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

So far, I'd say Kitamura is more on his own trajectory than idiotic. I think he has his own crush. I also believe he knows Taiga was trying to confess to him and he's telling her "everything is going to be alright, we'll be great friends" because he's going to help her realize her feelings for his friend Ryuuji.

Minori..... okay, so far she seems to be a 1-inch deep clueless ball of happy idiot. Why Ryuuji is enthralled with her is only understood by those people who have experienced that kind of person. They're fascinating... but after a while you find its hard to actually engage in meaningful dialog with them.
Obviously, that description may change as I discover more about her.

Query: Is anyone doing Toradora .sigs? I'm looking for a sig the same size as my Spice&Wolf sig .... preferably with Taiga and Ryuuji on each side rather like the S&W sig ... they can be glaring at each other. Appreciate any efforts -- just PM me so we don't clutter the thread.

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-10-14 at 17:09.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-14, 17:15   Link #964
JMvS
Rawrrr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy001_M1A2 View Post

What is there not to love about this series?
Quoted for truth.

And I don't understand why some people portray Kitamura as a jerk, for what I have seen and read he is a nice and serious guy:
Spoiler for manga/novel skipped material:
Old 2008-10-14, 18:06   Link #965
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
So far, I'd say Kitamura is more on his own trajectory than idiotic. I think he has his own crush. I also believe he knows Taiga was trying to confess to him and he's telling her "everything is going to be alright, we'll be great friends" because he's going to help her realize her feelings for his friend Ryuuji.
He does

Spoiler for crush:
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-14, 18:30   Link #966
Deadwings
Heaven's Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Minori..... okay, so far she seems to be a 1-inch deep clueless ball of happy idiot. Why Ryuuji is enthralled with her is only understood by those people who have experienced that kind of person. They're fascinating... but after a while you find its hard to actually engage in meaningful dialog with them.
Obviously, that description may change as I discover more about her.
Indeed. And because I had a similar experience, I now hate Minori really bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
He does

Spoiler for crush:
But, anime doesn't mention it, does it? I watched and re-watched trying to see anything telling something about Kitamura's crash during the confession, but nothing. Imo, that should have been adapted too.
Deadwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-14, 18:38   Link #967
typhonsentra

I think they wanted to hold back that information for a later reveal. They did something similar with a big revelation at the end of the first season of Shana (In the book series, it happened at the climax of book 1).
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-14, 18:46   Link #968
animeboy12

I must I'm not I huge fan of Tsundere but I really liking Taiga. She seems more down to earth and not as ready to snap alike most other Tsundere characters. I just hope they keeping the Tsundere level controlled so we don't have another Louise
animeboy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-14, 19:55   Link #969
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
He does

Spoiler for crush:
No, last time I checked, it was
Spoiler for novel:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-14, 20:26   Link #970
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
He does

Spoiler for crush:
Hmmm, I'd say your suggestion is past tense.... things have changed since then. Watch episode 2 very carefully. He seems to have moved on to someone else since last year.
Old 2008-10-14, 20:46   Link #971
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

... So... a painful ShanaxLouise blend of inu/kicks/punches... Why am I not surprised... Well, at least they other characters are fun, and there's an actually tsundere straight confession, as well as Ryuuji thankfully getting substituted for a pole at some point instead of continuing the routine of tsundere punchbag. A bit refreshing, that, but just that. Tsundere lolis aren't my preferred thing and seeing an actual combination of some of the worse I could think of isn't really my thing. But it has some small surprises and Ryuuji seems pretty decent. Minorin is pure moe for me sooo...

Ah well, Taiga appears to have potential to improve on the crappy tsundere attitude, so I guess I'll keep it till something drastically bad happens. Overall, for a tsundere loli focus, it's more manageable than the rest I've seen.
Old 2008-10-14, 21:07   Link #972
NakedAngelX

Announcement Annoucement!!

Old 2008-10-14, 21:08   Link #973
Midonin
Last Engage

Now we're just three steps away from Taiga and company dancing to Hare Hare Yukai. Assuming that hasn't been done already.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-14, 21:43   Link #974
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Hmmm, I'd say your suggestion is past tense.... things have changed since then. Watch episode 2 very carefully. He seems to have moved on to someone else since last year.
Not to mention his confidence when he is confronted with Taiga's confession. He sidesteps gracefully and noted that she has nice expression ever since Ryuji comes into the picture to stump her follow up after her declaration. It does seem he has someone else in his mind.

Kitamura may appear to be too full of himself to some people but he is a man of purpose and decisive. Sometimes too decisive.
Old 2008-10-14, 22:03   Link #975
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by npal View Post
... So... a painful ShanaxLouise blend of inu/kicks/punches... Why am I not surprised... ...
Actually I would have already dropped the series if it were Shana/Louise rehash. I really did not enjoy those series after it became clear the character or relationship progression would be glacial.

I think you'll be relatively pleased with this series (well, at least I am so far). Taiga shows vulnerability and more complex attitudes from pretty much the first swing of her bokken. Halfway through the attack, she's already pleading with him to forget what he saw. In the second episode, she's about half a gulp from throwing up when she was going to give Kitamura cookies. The last half of ep two (especially the panic-stricken confession) was light-years from a "Shana/Louise" character.

The character in the novel/manga has a thin shell of brassy anger and noise to begin with but its a lot different inside. Now... will the producers be able to convey that? Or will they screw up and drop back to the easy and lazy character route you (and I) don't want to happen?

We'll get a clue in ep 3 now that we've established the team relationship of Ryuuji and Taiga. At worst, I suspect it'll be a bit like Lov*Com's plot of getting each other a mate when actually they're already there. Unfortunately, with the shortness of the series and what I'm hearing of the situation in the novels -- I'm not counting on a major resolution within the anime this season.

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-10-15 at 01:35.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 00:33   Link #976
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Aww...surely I'm not the only person who likes spazzy characters?
Mirrinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 00:43   Link #977
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

I still don't get why people call Shana abusive...
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 01:14   Link #978
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Hmmm, not to derail into a Shana discussion .... but I don't think of either Louise or Shana as simply "abusive". However, I'd rank the characters as Louise -> Shana -> Taiga in terms of the pace of relationship progression from violence and anger to a more complex set of emotions.
Caveat: these are only the anime versions I'm assessing by. The manga/novels are quite a bit more complex.
Old 2008-10-15, 02:23   Link #979
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrinus View Post
Aww...surely I'm not the only person who likes spazzy characters?
Hey, I love Minorin. Along with another spazzy character that has yet to appear, she's my favorite.

And about her leaping forward... Isn't that the usual way fathers entrust their daughers to young men, in Japan?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 02:54   Link #980
rg4619

Looks like a 2-cour series is planned.....

8 DVDs are set to be released, with the first four episodes contained in Vol 1. It'll be interesting to see how they handle this adaptation project.
rg4619 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, romance, shounen