AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-01-03, 01:28   Link #1
fukarming

what makes good open/ambiguous ending?

Ambiguous ending always left fans debate after the series is over. What do you make is necessary to make good ambiguous ending?

To me, ambiguous ending should only be used if the whole show is ambiguous to begin with, like Utena, SE lain, Penguindrum...etc. All these shows fill with symbolism in almost every episode, they might as well use ambiguous ending since that is what they are doing in ep1. It will feel weird if all of a sudden they tell you exactly what happen in the end.

I dislike ambiguous ending in other animes, like Code geass or Requiem of a phantom. To me

Spoiler for spoiler, in case you haven't watch these two series:

It seems to me, in the case of code geass or requiem of a phantom, the director have a certain ending in mind, but afraid to anger the fans they choose the ambiguous route.
Then they came for me and force me to be a vegan by that time no one was left to speak up.
fukarming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-03, 01:33   Link #2
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
If I'm not mistaking, the director may want the sequel be followed in the manga or light novel. It if end if they could something from it...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-03, 01:36   Link #3
Insane
Banned

Ambiguous/Open endings, in my opinion, are probably the best type of endings simply because they allow you to reminiscent in what could have been and also let you speculate in what will and could happen. They are that good friend you haven’t talked to in awhile, but think of fondly and take a trip down memory lane for fun.

That’s also the reason why ambiguous endings aren’t common, because many author want to close out a story and end it for real. If people are that attached to the tale, the author can be just as bad or worse. Which can then lead to sequels that aren’t as good or just out right suck. Or if its an ongoing story, it can lead to the author continuing it long after it should’ve ended
Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-03, 05:32   Link #4
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Spoiler for requiem for the phantom:
Old 2013-01-03, 05:53   Link #5
fukarming

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Spoiler for requiem for the phantom:
You watch gungrave? another well known gang/triad/hitman anime. That I would say is the ending done right. Do you find that ending silly? The only way to defeat some sort of supernatural skills/equipment is by unlimited numbers. Gundam00 show that to us very well.

Reiji's ending is ambiguous in the way that we don't know what he is thinking.
Then they came for me and force me to be a vegan by that time no one was left to speak up.
fukarming is offline   Reply With Quote