AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Muv-Luv Franchise > Total Eclipse

Notices

Old 2012-07-23, 03:18   Link #1241
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Considering the series is based on an Eroge visual novel franchise........... it might happen. Or the doujin artists will handle that.
Actually there IS a doujin of the 3 of them...with Cryska trying to convince Inya that all men are out to get her and that Yuuya. Is only getting close to her for smex. Geez the world has everything...

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 03:26   Link #1242
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

I do wonder... still this has been a fun episode. I've had enough BETA trauma with Alternative. Time to see some US mechs...because yeah haven't really been into Mecha for years now. It's nice getting back in the groove.

Old 2012-07-23, 04:06   Link #1243
Destined_Fate

Well the drinking ages are pretty loose if Tarisa is allowed to get wasted like it's nothing. Than again the military doesn't care about drinking ages, if you're old enough to serve than you're old enough to drink when off duty.

Seems like they're setting her up as the crush, hate seeing those types of characters because they never have a chance when up against the female lead.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 04:49   Link #1244
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post

Seems like they're setting her up as the crush, hate seeing those types of characters because they never have a chance when up against the female lead.
In this type of series where you will get Nomnom out of no where. These type of character is the one who died first. Which is a big death flag for her.
Old 2012-07-23, 04:59   Link #1245
touge-n00b
ZC6 Eishi

Although this has probably been discussed already, there was one line in particular that Yui used that didn't sit well with me:

“I see you’re a second generation Japanese-American. As someone of the same race, I find that haughty attitude unpleasant and upsetting. You are an embarassment to the Japanese.”

As a Japanese-American myself, if I were Yuuya I would think to myself "Why should I care? I'm not a Japanese national, I'm American". I've never really considered myself Japanese nationally, just racially. I was born and raised in America, as an American. From the looks of it, the same can be said of Yuuya, although his hatred of his Japanese self seems a tad extreme to me (well, this is a different universe). Personally it wouldn't much bother me to be an embarrassment to a nation that I've never associated myself with from the start.
touge-n00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 05:15   Link #1246
Destined_Fate

It effects Yuuya because he was discriminated against because he was half-Japanese when he was a kid. So no matter what he did he couldn't become American and everyone always called him Japanese so he hates the Japanese because he grew up to hate them by his surrondings. Than he meets a real Japanese girl of much importance who he insults and than he gets called a disgrace just like the American kids called him a disgrace because he was half-japanese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
In this type of series where you will get Nomnom out of no where. These type of character is the one who died first. Which is a big death flag for her.
Yeah, I expect her to die because she's the loser with a crush. Those characters almost always end up making a heroic sacrifice for the one they love. Strangely enough the loser with the crush is almost always a short haired tomboy that's full of energy and fun.... Does the Japanese audience hate tomboys or something?
Old 2012-07-23, 05:38   Link #1247
touge-n00b
ZC6 Eishi

Quote:
It effects Yuuya because he was discriminated against because he was half-Japanese when he was a kid. So no matter what he did he couldn't become American and everyone always called him Japanese so he hates the Japanese because he grew up to hate them by his surrondings. Than he meets a real Japanese girl of much importance who he insults and than he gets called a disgrace just like the American kids called him a disgrace because he was half-japanese.

I see. I guess Yuuya's viewpoint of the world is far off of my own. Then again, EVERYTHING in Alternative is far off from our world.
touge-n00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 06:03   Link #1248
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by touge-n00b View Post
I see. I guess Yuuya's viewpoint of the world is far off of my own. Then again, EVERYTHING in Alternative is far off from our world.
To quote what I said in another thread....

"To me this whole racial tension aspect of the recent Total Eclipse episode reminds me of post-WWII mentality that people in America had of the Japanese. Considering that history took a much different route by the 1960's the changes in our timeline that promoted Multiculturalism probably wasn't as strong, as Nationalism was more favored over globalization."

Old 2012-07-23, 06:52   Link #1249
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
The ML:A universe Japan is much different from the Japan we know of today. As a result, the values it promotes ARE different. Moreover, we do not know how much the presense of BETA have influenced and affected the flow of information, technology and people on a continental, intercontinental and global level; and as a result, the possible liberalization of countries of the Warsaw Pact.

As for America vs Japan, think about it, Imperial Japan of MLAverse surrendered on much less humiliating conditions, likely when the average american was still out for Japanese blood after Pearl Harbor. And nothing had been said about Japanese war criminals.
Old 2012-07-23, 07:00   Link #1250
novalysis

Still, the divisions of humanity amaze me considering that entire nations have been destroyed, and the USSR is almost gone, reduced to just Kamchankta.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 07:18   Link #1251
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
Still, the divisions of humanity amaze me considering that entire nations have been destroyed, and the USSR is almost gone, reduced to just Kamchankta.
IIRC, only jews and arabs have managed to put their feud aside.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 07:43   Link #1252
Destined_Fate

The Chinese and Filipino's should hate the Japanese than if they never answered for their war crimes in WW2.

Well, being killed off by monsters tends to make evreyone paranoid about trusting former enemies. They aren't gathering up because they want to only because they have to for survival.
Old 2012-07-23, 08:13   Link #1253
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
The Chinese and Filipino's should hate the Japanese than if they never answered for their war crimes in WW2.
Hmmm... as the former generations die out... all that remains are generations who value life above everything else... even hate.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 08:23   Link #1254
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I think one important thing to remember is that the BETA haven't been hitting all of the Earth nations equally. If they were, I think you would see more of an united front between the world's nations.

From what I've gathered, America has largely been spared the BETA invasions. So maybe the Americans (in this universe) just don't see the BETA as *that* big a threat. That may be shortsighted of them, but it's also somewhat understandable. This sense of "humanity's very survival is at risk!" may not have really hit America yet.

At the same time, the uneven distribution of BETA destruction (it focusing heavily on Europe and northern Asia) can cause feelings of nationalism to rise, as it creates new divisions between countries. Some nations are utterly devastated, while others are almost unscathed. And this is over several decades, don't forget. That disparity can give rise to new resentments, new national superiority complexes, and broader senses of national divisions.

It makes some sense to me that Yui would perceive Yuuya as this shallow pilot who thinks he's "hot stuff" when he knows nothing about the horrors that the BETA can inflict. Yuuya meanwhile has reason to resent the Japanese side of his heritage (due to all the grief it caused him growing up), as others have pointed out on this thread.

I don't see where any of this is dumb, or silly. It's not right, of course, but it's quite understandable, imo. Honestly, I think that the anime has handled it with decent care. I don't get a sense that America is simply getting crapped on here (which, yeah, does unfortunately happen in some anime shows).
Old 2012-07-23, 08:39   Link #1255
Destined_Fate

Makes sense, Yuuya was clearly surprised during the training exercise when there was an endless stream of Beta with the others saying that's normal. Clearly the BETA haven't attacked America in anywhere near as large of a number that the effected countries have been forced to contend with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Hmmm... as the former generations die out... all that remains are generations who value life above everything else... even hate.
The Russians seem to hate the Japanese despite being allies in TE.
Old 2012-07-23, 08:41   Link #1256
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
The Russians seem to hate the Japanese despite being allies in TE.
Humiliation... its about humiliation.
Old 2012-07-23, 09:05   Link #1257
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post

I don't see where any of this is dumb, or silly. It's not right, of course, but it's quite understandable, imo. Honestly, I think that the anime has handled it with decent care. I don't get a sense that America is simply getting crapped on here (which, yeah, does unfortunately happen in some anime shows).
The anti-americanism of this anime had been blown out of proportion as far as I could observe. Most of time, we get the "BUT! It's cliche!" card.

EDIT:

Whoever thought of that old movie by Clint Eastwood and starring himself when the engineer told Yuuya to think Japanese, if he want to fly a japanese TSF right, raise your hand.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 09:21   Link #1258
Destined_Fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Humiliation... its about humiliation.
I don't think torturing someone just because they're Japanese is humiilation.
Old 2012-07-23, 09:23   Link #1259
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevierr View Post
You cannot underestimate the true power of YAMATO DAMASHII!!!
http://muvluv.wikia.com/wiki/YAMATO_DAMASHII
Oh, how I just love this wiki.
Old 2012-07-23, 09:23   Link #1260
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
I don't think torturing someone just because they're Japanese is humiilation.
Japan crushed Russia's Royal Navy. Russian was expected to win but Japan won the battle which lead to the downfall of the Romanov dynasty and start of communism

Tags
action, aliens, mecha, romance, science fiction, seinen