AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi Episode 13 Rating
Perfect 10 31 18.79%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 52 31.52%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 51 30.91%
7 out of 10 : Good 24 14.55%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.61%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.21%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.61%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.61%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.21%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-06-25, 19:22   Link #21
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A.
This chapter is really long, I know that, but the anime really left out alot of details this time. Though the most important parts, Haruhi telling her past and Itsuki's conversation with Kyon are very well presented.

A large chunk of the novel wasn't included after they went into the closed space. They skipped alot of Kyon's observations, since they didn't show how they got onto the roof of the building etc. They didn't present the silence and lifelessness of the closed space well enough. Because of this, the effects which should happen when the close space collapses didn't deliver itself. It was supposed to appear really loud and sudden because of the silence before. Also Imouto-chan is supposed to appear as well.
Think about it in reverse: would you rather have them cut out parts from Haruhi's confession or Koizumi's explanation just so they can show "Kyon and Koizumi walking to a building rooftop" or "Kyon describing an environment that we can see for ourselves"?

Same for Higurashi, it's easy to notice the parts that were left out and not notice how the episode is already packed with contents as it is.

Having said that, I think both Haruhi's confession about herself and Koizumi's long-winded theory (this IS his turn for denpa-talk, after all) were nicely done. Even through Koizumi's talk, which can either intrigue you or totally bore you, the anime was kept "moving" by various small things happening outside the car (cars passing by, potrayals of traffics).
(I'm happy to see they made Arakawa-san the driver )

=====================
Anyway, next week is the final episode, and then this festival will come to an end too.

I laughed at the preview (for those who get it):
Haruhi: "次回、涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱第6話!"
Kyon: "違う、次回涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱第14話、涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱Ⅵ。 じゃまたな"
Haruhi: "お風呂入れよ、歯磨けよー" Kyon: "私たち普通の女の子に戻ります"
Haruhi: "我がSOS団は永久に不滅でーす!" Kyon: "来週も見てくださいね(?) ジャンケンポン"
Haruhi: "バカー!" Kyon: "あ、見えねっ"
Old 2006-06-25, 19:38   Link #22
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y
Think about it in reverse: would you rather have them cut out parts from Haruhi's confession or Koizumi's explanation just so they can show "Kyon and Koizumi walking to a building rooftop" or "Kyon describing an environment that we can see for ourselves"?

Same for Higurashi, it's easy to notice the parts that were left out and not notice how the episode is already packed with contents as it is.
They need not cut any of the material shown in this episode, but if they did the same to this episode as episode 10. I'm sure by removing the OP, the extra 1 minute plus will be more than enough to show more of Kyon's observations.

Importantly they fail to show how silent the space is. Kyon mentioned that the silence made their voice sound very clear and its very uncomfortable. The inclusion of a bgm in the closed space before the shinjin appears wasn't a good choice. But I must say that the actions of the shinjin was extremely well done and its bgm was great.

Also I was actually surprised to see a car in the closed space, because its mentioned in the novel that there was no vehicles.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2006-06-25, 19:52   Link #23
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
They need not cut any of the material shown in this episode, but if they did the same to this episode as episode 10. I'm sure by removing the OP, the extra 1 minute plus will be more than enough to show more of Kyon's observations.
It's not standard practice to remove OP/EDs unless there's a very good reason for it (to give the episode a dramatic/movie feel, for example). They're not normally "expendable" segments.

Quote:
Importantly they fail to show how silent the space is. Kyon mentioned that the silence made their voice sound very clear and its very uncomfortable. The inclusion of a bgm in the closed space before the shinjin appears wasn't a good choice. But I must say that the actions of the shinjin was extremely well done and its bgm was great.
Sure, Kyon's description of the place is important in the novel, because we can't see the space for ourselves. But since the environment is presented visually in the anime, Kyoani probably deemed it to be unnessary for Kyon to be blabbing away at things (like how "the world turned gray" or "all the people are gone") that we can see for ourselves.

Of course, it'd be nice to hear what Kyon's thinking, as well as more emphasis on the "silence", but it's nothing critical. It wouldn't be fair to expect Kyoani to deliver everything all the time.

Quote:
Also I was actually surprised to see a car in the closed space, because its mentioned in the novel that there was no vehicles.
The cars are still there, they're just not moving (走り出す車も一台もなかった).
Old 2006-06-25, 20:24   Link #24
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Well, throughout the show, we already know that there's alot of material that were not shown, but this episode lacks a little more. The silence can be easily emphasized by not having a bgm while they are talking in the closed space, make their voices echo a little, the bgm can then come with the shinjin and be silent again after the battle. Then at least when Itsuki wants to show Kyon the magic, the returning of the the street sounds would at least sound more powerful.

I'm not sure, maybe its my visualisations of the closed space when I read the novel thats causing me to think in such ways.

Anyway I checked about the car:

Japanese version: There's not a single car moving.
Chinese version: There's not a single car moving on the road.
Bakatsuki English version: There's not a single vehicle on the road.

Translation errors maybe?

Old 2006-06-25, 20:41   Link #25
Kenshinyoh

noooo just one more T_T
Old 2006-06-25, 21:36   Link #26
Pakxenon
popcorn

I'll have to wait for this to be subbed before rating it. Right now it's sitting at a 7-9. ><

I thought the piano really brought out Haruhi's monologue, but Itsuki's part was disappointing, especially with the Closed Space. I also blame that it was still sunset and the streets weren't crowded.
Old 2006-06-25, 21:54   Link #27
PhantomX
Tsuruya's Lover

Send a message via AIM to PhantomX Send a message via MSN to PhantomX
The music was real nice throughout this episode excluding the part at Asakura's apartment complex.
Old 2006-06-25, 23:25   Link #28
Major Kerina

Send a message via AIM to Major Kerina Send a message via MSN to Major Kerina
I liked the music there, very Hitchcockian in theme, disharmonious.
Old 2006-06-26, 00:13   Link #29
rain...

Gave the episode an 8. For me, what made out for long conversations were the good execution of the accompanying music. Especially made the scenes with Itsuki a lot less draggy.

I noticed that Arakawa was the cab driver - I'm pretty sure that's him right?
Old 2006-06-26, 01:08   Link #30
Pakxenon
popcorn

Yeah... it was weird how the taxi driver can hear what they're saying and not comment when I was reading the translations. I guess KyoAni just solved it right there, as well as because they showed Remote Island Syndrome already, people now know. o_O
Old 2006-06-26, 01:10   Link #31
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakxenon
Yeah... it was weird how the taxi driver can hear what they're saying and not comment when I was reading the translations. I guess KyoAni just solved it right there, as well as because they showed Remote Island Syndrome already, people now know. o_O
Actually, the novel has already pointed out that the driver is working for Itsuki's organisation, when they left the cab without needing to pay for the trip.
Old 2006-06-26, 03:15   Link #32
Major Kerina

Send a message via AIM to Major Kerina Send a message via MSN to Major Kerina
Someone posted an analysis on a couple of blogs for Haruhi which I was really struck by although with episode 13 stuff I haven't watched yet but from what I've seen, it really clicks for me

Spoiler for Click Here For Spoiler:
Old 2006-06-26, 06:42   Link #33
M.D. Geist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y
It's not standard practice to remove OP/EDs unless there's a very good reason for it (to give the episode a dramatic/movie feel, for example). They're not normally "expendable" segments.

This made me wonder...
I couldn´t name any other anime which did that.

The kinda random episode order is another unique thing Haruhi has to offer...

Or I haven´t watched enough anime yet ^^
Old 2006-06-26, 07:22   Link #34
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.D. Geist
This made me wonder...
I couldn´t name any other anime which did that.

The kinda random episode order is another unique thing Haruhi has to offer...

Or I haven´t watched enough anime yet ^^
Gungrave did it, for the final episode.
Old 2006-06-26, 08:34   Link #35
Lost

Mai HiME and Otome did it too, for the last episodes.

I didnt see any indication as to this in the previous posts; so, may I ask what chapter of the novel is this episode taken from?
Old 2006-06-26, 08:37   Link #36
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
Mai HiME and Otome did it too, for the last episodes.

I didnt see any indication as to this in the previous posts; so, may I ask what chapter of the novel is this episode taken from?
Chapter 6 of novel 1, a very long chapter. So long, kyoani had to spread this chapter over 2 episodes

Old 2006-06-26, 08:43   Link #37
Lost

Thank you I see, so #13 and #14 would be from the same chapter? From what I've read on this thread, fitting that they chose to end this season with this chapter.
Old 2006-06-26, 09:19   Link #38
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
Thank you I see, so #13 and #14 would be from the same chapter? From what I've read on this thread, fitting that they chose to end this season with this chapter.
Hmmm here's a list of how the prologue and 7 chapters are spread over the 6 episodes:

prologue + chapter 1 + chapter 2 = Episode 2
chapter 2 + chapter 3 = Episode 3
chapter 2 + chapter 3 + chapter 4 = Episode 5
chapter 5 + chapter 6 = Episode 10
chapter 6 = Episode 13
chapter 7 + epilogue(most probably) = Episode 14

Old 2006-06-26, 09:35   Link #39
Lost

O.o Ah... gomen. So episode ten is really #4, and episode thirteen is really #5; both of them are linked. Makes sense now. Dang this shuffling gets to me all the time.
Old 2006-06-26, 19:26   Link #40
Biswa

Definitely need to give a lot of support to the subbers for especially a dialogue heavy anime. So far the subbing has been beautiful and well articulated, so it really matched the tone of the voice. Only a couple more episodes for them to go, but it's been crazy. Looking very forward to this episode, but can wait indefinitely.
So how many episodes exactly to go? (i.e. how long is this show)
Closed Thread