Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2015-01-04, 02:29   Link #1
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Search Feature

Something needs to be done about the search feature on these forums, since as I keep finding, if I want to make a new thread about something, even when I use the exact name to make sure another thread isn't already in existence... well, the short version is that the item already existed, but didn't show up until three pages back.

Is this just because of how the forum is hosted or whatnot? It gets rather embarrassing when I'm trying to make sure a thread doesn't exist, and the search item doesn't show up on the first page (and lead me to thinking that the thread therefore didn't exist)

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-04, 07:23   Link #2
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

The search does leave a lot to be desired. One of the "quick search" forms uses SphinxSearch, but it is only configured for one of the "styles". It was enabled a long time ago, but we never integrated it into the other styles.

Won't know for sure if it would have given you better results until I try it myself. Exactly how did you perform the search?

The built-in search depends heavily on what parameters you used. The "quick search" gives you very few options. However, the optimistically named "advanced search" lets you limit the search space to thread titles only and specific forums, in addition to giving results as threads rather than posts; doing that puts the thread you were looking on the first page. About 5 results down when I tried it.

Edit: I've added a form to access the Sphinx search via the advanced search page, from all of the forum styles. If there are no issues using it, we'll look at enabling it as the default search mode. We may need to announce the addition to the advanced search first, to get feedback, as many people are used to the quirks of the old search.

Last edited by NightWish; 2015-01-04 at 10:28.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-04, 22:50   Link #3
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
You already found my error, but basically, I stumbled across the manga last night, and to make sure I wasn't creating a duplicate thread, I used the "search this forum" feature. The best part is, in addition to the thread already existing and not showing up until the third page of results, I'd input the name exactly as it was here on the forum.

Basically, I'm just irritated that if someone says to use the search function because a thread already exists... well, it doesn't help that the search function is practically broken, at least at the simple level.

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-21, 15:31   Link #4
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

what stuff you searching ? if I may ask?

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote