AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Psycho-Pass

Notices

View Poll Results: Psycho-Pass - Episode 8 Rating
Perfect 10 25 37.31%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 21 31.34%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 14 20.90%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 5.97%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.49%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.49%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 1.49%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-11-29, 11:16   Link #1
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Psycho-Pass - Episode 8 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Psycho-Pass, Episode 8.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a useful title!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2012-11-29, 11:18   Link #2
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Spoiler for Episode 8:
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList

Last edited by MisaoFan; 2012-11-29 at 14:33.
Old 2012-11-29, 16:11   Link #3
ookamigirl

So they finally figured it was someone from the Oso Academy.
That Kagami is a really smart one.
I was surprised they figured out is was Rikako so soon.
Shibata sensei was the truly twisted one.
Guess he was just using Rikako as his puppet.

My Blog --> ookami
Old 2012-11-29, 16:44   Link #4
Kiavik

Well that was great. And that ending opens up a ton of possible scenarios. This anime got pretty grim, pretty fast!
Old 2012-11-29, 17:03   Link #5
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I'm starting to think Kogami is the only competent guy on the team. He's certainly the most gifted at the very least. Gino and the others were so focused on that other suspect they didn't even bother to investigate the girls' classmates. Having a suspect in mind doesn't allow you to neglect other leads. Why did it even take them so long to go to school? They should have moved in as soon as they realized the first victim attended it especially since their main suspect used to teach there, something I didn't realize last week. I think the anime tried too hard to make Kogami look good, and ended up making the others look like idiots instead.

This gripe aside, that was a very good episode. Oryo was discarded by Makishima, as expected. It was obvious she wouldn't last long since she didn't bother covering her tracks and her killing methods drew too much attention. She had the highest crime coefficient seen in the series so far. Can't say I'm surprised. Bitch was totally crazy.

Makishima and Kogami are now on each other's radar, with Makishima having a clear advantage. What is he planning to do to Kogami? Toy with him or turn him into another one of his pet criminals? Either way, he's definitely viewing him as a source of entertainment. Makishima is a rather fascinating character. It's hard to tell what he's thinking of.

A throwaway line I found very interesting: "Sensei... we don't have juvenile law anymore". I guess that was to be expected.
Old 2012-11-29, 17:25   Link #6
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

It's not just that Kogami is "the only competent detective". Judging from what we've seen so far, his ability to think like a criminal is almost... abnormal.
Old 2012-11-29, 17:39   Link #7
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

^That's what they're trying to get across, but there are ways to do that without making the others look incompetent. Besides Masaoka, they've all been completely useless thus far. And let's not even talk about Akane, who doesn't even know what profiling is...
Old 2012-11-29, 17:56   Link #8
Mentar
Banned

Good ep ... sets the story back on track!

I was squirming a bit, since ep7 emphasized a side of the Urobutcher that's very typical of him (delving into the mind of a psycho), but doesn't make for very enjoyable viewing - at least for me.

He's still putting more pieces on the chessboard. Looking forward to when the real game begins
Old 2012-11-29, 17:57   Link #9
Rayneing
Trombe!

My favourite episode so far, Kogami is a great detective. I'm interested to see what direction the show goes in now that he's caught the attention of Makishima. Seems like he's interested in having Kogami among his 'students', but judging from the scene at the start of episode one, I doubt Kogami will be interested.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiavik View Post
Well that was great. And that ending opens up a ton of possible scenarios. This anime got pretty grim, pretty fast!
It wasn't grim from the start?
Old 2012-11-29, 18:03   Link #10
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

^It got even more grim.
Old 2012-11-29, 19:15   Link #11
Arya

Good episode. I mostly agree with Kanon about how unbalanced the character's skills seems to be. I get the intent, but they could have handled the cases more chorally, so to speak. And I'd add that the way how Shinya rushed to the art class without a back up hasn't been very pro. Basically a schoolgirl made fun of them
If I had to guess, now the show is going toward the classic smart detective vs smart serial-killer, game that will push Shinya to his PP edge. That mean that Akane role would be more like a guidance, virgil-like, for him. But all depends on how much of a sadist our philanthropist is. Even if I would prefer a more active role for Akane. But probably we need to wait for that.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Old 2012-11-29, 19:20   Link #12
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Magnificent episode. This is such a wonderfully smart show. And it tops up that smarts with just the right amount of tense drama, awesome direction, gripping action, and smooth pacing (I didn't find this episode rushed; it was time to bring this arc to a close).

Now, to be fair, I get what Kanon is saying. Yes, it's disappointing that nobody even considered the possibility that one of the female classmates themselves could be the killer! Even Kougami only considered that after he interviewed that one criminal.

But perhaps this is supposed to say something about how people in this world trust their institutions a bit too much. This school is supposed to keep girls in good psychological health, so surely none of them is the killer, right? Why, it's clearly unthinkable!

Gino's dialogue also made it clear that he doesn't exactly hold the competency and resources of teenage girls in high esteem. It's actually refreshing to watch an anime where teenagers aren't huge societal stars that adults easily accept in lead roles (such as flying your top mecha, or leading your army, or running multi-billion dollar schools, or... well, you get the idea ).

On the flip side, though, there's no juvenile laws anymore. Which makes sense given what happened to a certain five year old in this show... Your Psycho-Pass reading is absolute, at any age.

And I think I get why Makishima was disappointed in Oryo. Her motives were clear, and understandable. But they're disappointing given the grander scheme of things in the world of Psycho-Pass. As Makishima made clear with his words, this all-girls school is not typical in this world. It's a rare throw-back; heck, Makishima might even find it somewhat quaint and comforting.

So Oryo is fighting against the lingering echoes of a world that largely no longer exists. Her vision is ultimately too small, her aim is too pedestrian, in Makishima's eyes, I suspect. Given the relatively broad vision of her father, Makishima understandably had high hopes for Oryo, but they were not to be.

In fairness to Oryo, though, I was impressed with how calmly she confronted her killer, even after being horribly wounded by a bear-trap and a vicious hunting dog robot. While there is a certain poetic justice to Oryo's death, she went to her death more calmly than most of the killed killers in this show have.

What I think Makishima sees in Kougami is a man that truly thinks outside the box. He's a man who gets what makes truly sick criminals tick. I see real potential for Makishima and Kougami to become a more anime-esque and slightly more realistic version of The Joker and Batman.

Anyway, just a wonderful and fascinating episode. Lots of style, but with plenty of substance underneath. Great sizzle, but also scrumptious steak.

I very much look forward to more Psycho-Pass!

10/10

A couple 'world-building' notes:

1. Controversial artwork is apparently not only banned, but even the names of recently-famous artists are now barely known. Chilling. Very 1984-esque.

2. However, the Psycho-Pass readings gained a bit more credibility for me in this episode. Unlike most other killers facing a Dominator, Oryo was cool as a cucumber. It's doubtful that stress contributed much, if anything, to her Psycho-Pass reading. The gun is somehow able to read criminal minds. So while I can see stress creating false positives, the idea of lack of stress causing false negatives seems much less likely to me now.
Old 2012-11-29, 20:00   Link #13
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Fantastic episode, and I really appreciate that while they're keeping the villains mysterious, we haven't ended any of the past few episodes without learning something new and tantalizing about them.

I suppose it was too much to hope that Kagami would make it out.

Maikishima had full access to those records that the bureau had. It's safe to say he left the audio recording on purpose to entice Kougami to him.

Quick notes on the Shakespearean quotations of Makishima, in case anyone is interested in the context. All of the below come from Titus Andronicus:

- On the phone he quotes Tamora, Queen of the Goths speaking to Lavinia before she is violated and dismembered by Tamora's two sons.
- After hanging up, he quotes Titus addressing his hunting party, and then segues into Tamora again, just before commanding her sons to kill.
- As the huntsman stalks Rikako, Makishima quotes Tamora's son Demetrius, asking his mother to harden her heart to Lavinia's tears like "unrelenting flint to drops of rain."
- When Rikako's hand is mutilated by the dogs, he again quotes Demetrius, taunting Lavinia to reveal his identity after -- you guessed it -- cutting off her hands.
- His final quote after Rikako's death is Lucius, Titus' son, condemning Tamora's body to be thrown to the wild animals, fitting her beastly and pitiless nature.
Old 2012-11-29, 21:44   Link #14
Allium
Keep on keeping on

Another good episode. As I'd expected, Rikako met her end, but I did not expect her calmness in the face of death, which was actually refreshing to see as the previous criminals had panicked or went insane before dying. It's ironic how Urobuchi chooses to give such a heinous person a 'honorable' death scene - with Makishima quoting Titus Andronicus in the background, which made it all the more powerful.

Like many posts have mentioned, I'm a bit thrown off by how Kougami seems to be very ahead of Gino and the others, and Gino and his team's rather slow reaction to the crimes. Imagine the team without Kougami; it's quite unsettling, Rikako might have committed more crimes or safely escaped under their noses.

Can't wait for the next episode. Now that Makishima has noticed Kougami, I guess this makes things more interesting.
Old 2012-11-29, 23:04   Link #15
Kirarakim

I am assuming that is not the last we will see of that hunter. Well that was intense. I'll miss hearing Maaya though.

Anyways I am not surprised at Kogami's brilliance. I thought the anime made it quite clear earlier what a strong detective he was. It is obviously not because of any lack of ability that he's an enforcer. As for Akane not measuring up, well I see it as Akane has book smarts but not the experience just yet...I am sure that will change though.

On another note I am not really sure I would suspect a young girl was doing those type of murders either...although I might have suspected a teacher.

And speaking of which having Makishima be a teacher who is shaping young minds was a bit brilliant too I thought.

Quote:
It's ironic how Urobuchi chooses to give such a heinous person a 'honorable' death scene
Well he did something similar with one of the main villains in Fate Zero.
Old 2012-11-29, 23:28   Link #16
Mighty_frog
Hopeless Jean fanboy

Send a message via MSN to Mighty_frog
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Did anyone else seriously get caught off guard by that face? I was so focused on what was going on then that derp face just popped up outta nowhere. Couldnt help but bust out laughing.

Pretty good episode. I like that were learning more about Makishima, hopefully soon we can get some insight into his motivations for what hes doing.

One little thing that bugged me about the episode though was when Kogami was about to 'dominate' Oryo, the headmaster guy seemed extremely surprised and panicky, and even assaulted Ko a little bit. My problem is; at this point in time, the Sibyl system should have been in place for at least 15 - 20 years(*). Everyone should be accustomed by now to how brutally indiscriminate Sibyl is. His whole line about her just being a minor and his protesting just seemed like pandering to the audience imo and also seemed out of place in a world where people have been trained to trust the system absolutely.

(*) not sure if the exact length of time has been mentioned, so i just assumed that much based on the fact that Kagari's CC was diagnosed at age 5 and he looks to be in his twenties by now
Old 2012-11-29, 23:40   Link #17
Jimmy C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
And I think I get why Makishima was disappointed in Oryo. Her motives were clear, and understandable. But they're disappointing given the grander scheme of things in the world of Psycho-Pass.
He's looking for originality. Clear and understandable would be fine, I think. As he said in ep7, "I hope she finds some meaning beyond revenge." Her "art" were but attempts to reproduce her father's work. She had no style, nor message of her own. Ultimately, she could not provide new forms of entertainment to Makishima.
And so, he tossed his toy to the other guy to play with instead.
On another note, I wonder if those sewers was where Kozaburo ended up as well.
Old 2012-11-30, 00:02   Link #18
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
He's looking for originality. Clear and understandable would be fine, I think.
Well, I found her motives against the school clear and understandable (these were stated in the early part of the episode). It was fairly conventional feminism, really ("This school produces girls to be good, little housewives that lead sad, boring lives").

And that's the problem - It's too conventional. You're right, it's not very original at all. It's not even particularly controversial.

Yes, she's motivated by personal revenge - For her father, and against the school. It is small, and it lacks an impressive message of her own.
Old 2012-11-30, 00:41   Link #19
HandofFate

Wow, brutal end. Crazy girl had the highest psycho rating so far.

Granted, Kogami was pretty much the ace this case, and he is good. But this was also the one thing he's been focused on for the past two years. It was pretty much his reason for living. So it makes sense he was the one that knew everything.

Akane disliking the cigarette smoke was cute.
Old 2012-11-30, 00:51   Link #20
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_frog View Post
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Did anyone else seriously get caught off guard by that face? I was so focused on what was going on then that derp face just popped up outta nowhere. Couldnt help but bust out laughing.

Pretty good episode. I like that were learning more about Makishima, hopefully soon we can get some insight into his motivations for what hes doing.

One little thing that bugged me about the episode though was when Kogami was about to 'dominate' Oryo, the headmaster guy seemed extremely surprised and panicky, and even assaulted Ko a little bit. My problem is; at this point in time, the Sibyl system should have been in place for at least 15 - 20 years(*). Everyone should be accustomed by now to how brutally indiscriminate Sibyl is. His whole line about her just being a minor and his protesting just seemed like pandering to the audience imo and also seemed out of place in a world where people have been trained to trust the system absolutely.
A couple points here:

1. As critical as I've been of the Sibyl System, I'm inclined to give it a big benefit of the doubt here (because it fits several plot points better that way). In other words, I think that the Sibyl System does a very good job of preventing/stopping crime. So much so, in fact, that your average person probably doesn't see crime much at all. While the Sibyl System spares no mercy for minors, such age distinctions may still be prevalent amongst the people because minors (and people in general) so rarely "get Dominated" like that, particularly in a public setting.

2. The Headmaster may have been legitimately concerned over what affect having a room absolutely splattered with the bloods and guts of a killed classmate would have on the rest of these female students...

You know, the Dominator's method of killing really is absolutely horrible for any sort of public setting. People will tend to panic at least a bit just at the sounds of gunshots, of course, but seeing someone blown apart Dominator-style must be very traumatizing to most people. You'd think that the gun would have a less gorey method of killing (instant electrocution, say). While I can see how Gen wanted to make things grittier this way, I think on the whole it's this extremely gorey killing method that seems out of place in a world so deeply concerned with psychological health.

Tags
ep 8, psycho-pass