AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Psycho-Pass

Notices

View Poll Results: Psycho-Pass - Episode 6 Rating
Perfect 10 17 28.33%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 19 31.67%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 21 35.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 3.33%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.67%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-11-15, 15:59   Link #1
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Psycho-Pass - Episode 6 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Psycho-Pass, Episode 6.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a useful title!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2012-11-15, 16:31   Link #2
ookamigirl

Interesting flashback right from the start
Seems like Kogami has quite a few skeletons in his closet.
Akane found out about a few of his skeletons.
She's seems to be really interested in him.
The all girls school events were intriguing.

My Blog --> ookami
Old 2012-11-15, 16:48   Link #3
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Spoiler for Episode 6:
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList

Last edited by MisaoFan; 2012-11-16 at 03:33.
Old 2012-11-15, 17:18   Link #4
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

That was a highly informative episode. We learned more about Kogami's past and what caused his downfall. It appears he was very close to an enforcer called Sasayama, who was killed gruesomely by the killer they were after at the time. This is probably part of reason Ginoza tries to distance himself from his colleagues as much as he can.

It turns out episode 3's case was also related to Makishima. I didn't see that one coming. It seems like Makishima may not be trying to overthrow the system after all. What he does is provide people with a motive to kill (whatever it might be and whoever their target is) the means to do so. His ultimate goal is unclear. What does turning people into serial killers accomplish? For now, I can't really imagine. All I'm hoping for is that he has solid motives and that he isn't doing it solely for kicks. That would be a tad disappointing. Perhaps he is attempting to point out the flaws of the system?

This week's killer is very creepy... and pretty sexy. It had been a while since I last heard Maaya Sakamoto, she sounds as amazing as ever. As you would expect from a character created by Urobuchi, she is a complete nutcase. She'd probably get along very well with Ryunosuke and Caster from Fate/Zero. What she does to her victims' corpses is extremely disturbing and grotesque. This case is obviously similar to the one from three years ago, and not just because Makishima is helping the killer. This is the one that will make or break Akane as an inspector. It's still too early for her to break down, so she'll most likely be able to overcome this trial, although I doubt she'll come out of it unscathed.

There were a few more interesting tidbits:

- Ginoza's father was apparently a (latent) criminal.
- Yayoi and the doctor chick are as good as confirmed as lovers
- Kagari can't handle alcohol...

I think that's about it.
Old 2012-11-15, 17:44   Link #5
monir
cho~ kakkoii

I've to admit that since episode 3, I've been terrified at watching these episodes. It's like watching a horror movie where the anticipation of knowing what's coming make it so horrific. The act of not only killing someone, but then to go onto cut the body in pieces and then inject with resin..... and then put it up for display.... Episode was brutal.

In light of the revelation here about this "mastermind", I couldn't help but wonder can someone be considered a killer (in our court of law) even though he/she orchestrated to bring two elements to come together which resulted one person to kill another? Then comes the burden of proving... Mind you, the mastermind doesn't do the killing. Are there even any such known precedent in human history of somebody like this "mastermind?" I wonder.
Old 2012-11-15, 17:47   Link #6
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

perfect episode, I begin to understand why Kougami are color became too dark ... revenge ...

and this man manipulated and then manipulates the people who have done the murders and that person will commit crimes ...

Quote:
- Yayoi and the doctor chick are as good as confirmed as lovers
Yes confirmed I got my rate "yuri" in this episode
Old 2012-11-15, 18:19   Link #7
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Even before they met, he knew their destinies would intertwine.

We know what that means now.

This guy is definitely a certain type of revolutionary. He gives off this vibe that doesn't like the shackles that have been put on society, and seeks to undo them, and does so by providing potential criminals with the means to carry out their crimes. Most likely he is too bored with the stagnant status quo and likes to see things moving.
Old 2012-11-15, 19:23   Link #8
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

For me, the strongest take-home point from this episode is the confession that this society hasn't yet been able to conclusively prove the link between psychology and criminal behaviour. That changes my view of the Sibyl System completely and makes me wonder more than before why and how it was adopted. It looks likely to be a case of pre-emptive crime-fighting measures taken a bit too far after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
It turns out episode 3's case was also related to Makishima. I didn't see that one coming. It seems like Makishima may not be trying to overthrow the system after all. What he does is provide people with a motive to kill (whatever it might be and whoever their target is) the means to do so. His ultimate goal is unclear. What does turning people into serial killers accomplish? For now, I can't really imagine. All I'm hoping for is that he has solid motives and that he isn't doing it solely for kicks. That would be a tad disappointing. Perhaps he is attempting to point out the flaws of the system?
I don't see Makishima's lack of a "solid" motive as disappointing. I find the possibility that he's doing just for the kicks to be far more disturbing, far more terrifying. He works on a far higher level even than the serial killer from Se7en, for example, who killed based on some warped sense of justice.

The mistake, in the first place, would be to see Makishima as some idealistic revolutionary. He isn't. Rather, he's deliberately gaming the system for his own sadistic amusement. In a way, Makishima is doing exactly what the Sibyl System is doing. Whereas the Sibyl System matches people to jobs based on their innate apptitude, Makishima matches latent criminals with the means to commit murder.

It would seem, rather, that Makishima aims to be a Superman in the Nietzchean sense, that is, "Morality is for the weak, throw off your shackles and be the maximum of what you are meant to be". And in the world of Psycho-Pass, that means defying society's attempts to curb your psychology, and to indulge in whatever you want, morality be damned.
Old 2012-11-15, 19:26   Link #9
Arya

Very good episode and very interesting new arc. Anyways, I hope to see Akane in school uniform in the next episode
The settings seems to be right to go in that direction, having her being exposed to Shinya's enemy, who will understand in a blink of an eye that she is/will be Shinya's Achilles heel.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Old 2012-11-15, 19:33   Link #10
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

The first mention of Titus Andronicus set me on edge in a way I haven't been since the last time an infamous work of fiction started getting referenced in another one of Urobuchi's works.

Titus Andronicus is probably Shakespeare's most brutally violent play, not so much for the death count as for the torturous and stomach-turning nature of the violence, particularly the fate of Titus' daughter, Lavinia. It depicts a vicious spiral of revenge mostly between the titular Roman general Titus, and the Gothic queen he captures and brings to Rome.

Some observations:

- Rikako's direct message user icon appears to be a crab

- Rikako closes her sketchpad when Yoshika enters the art room. The sketch of the girl she was working on looks similar to the fountain "art" piece, which I'm guessing is the missing Satsuki Kuzuhara

- Lavinia, Titus' daughter in Shakespeare's play is raped, has her arms cut off, and her tongue sliced out by the Goth queen's sons. Eventually, she is killed by her own father (out of "duty"), but not before he bakes her tormentors' heads into a pie, and serves it to their unsuspecting mother. At the end of Episode 6, Rikako is sketching a nude portrait of Yoshika with harsh, thick lines cutting through her upper arms and throat

- Yoshika fears her stepfather's intentions towards her. Lavinia pleads for quick death, but more for her chastity from the Goth queen before she is mutilated.

Shakespeare aside, I'd like to add that the scene that raised my eyebrows the most was the drinking scene that Akane had with Kagari. It's yet another moment showing that no matter what the stimuli, it seems like it's almost impossible to compromise Akane's mental state. I wouldn't have guessed that from a girl who shot her own enforcer on her first case, but between this and her friends marveling at her "psychological beauty" in episode 2, this show sure does like to keep giving us reminders that she's a marvel of mental stability. I'm sure this will not come into play later.

Last edited by ThereminVox; 2012-11-15 at 19:56.
Old 2012-11-15, 20:29   Link #11
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Having recently watched MariMite and Strawberry Panic, the all-girls school scenes in this episode was like the darkest inversion imaginable of shows of that type. If this was intentional on Gen's part, I really applaud his ability to take certain genres/styles of anime, and completely turn them on their head. At a metalevel, it's very impressive, and also chilling in its effectiveness.

I'm also impressed with just how much they managed to pack into this episode. So much very effective world-building and character fleshing out.

That being said, I think this episode raises a cautionary note for many of us (including myself, admittedly). Just as this episode makes clear that there's still a lot we have to learn about the Sibyl System, I think it also makes clear that we shouldn't jump to conclusion on what motivates our main antagonist.

I don't think this episode completely rules out the possibility that he's a revolutionary. Slowly causing a system to crumble by repeatedly giving it overwhelming incidents that it can't handle well is arguably a good way to gradually erode people's faith in a system, eventually culminating in that system coming crashing down.

And, indeed, we see how faith in the system was starting to crack a bit at that all-girls school, due in no small part to the actions of our antagonists.

Finally, the main protagonist cast itself has really grown on me, and I'm appreciating them more and more with each passing episode. They're a pretty well-rounded and interesting bunch as a whole.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2012-11-15 at 20:54.
Old 2012-11-15, 21:38   Link #12
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

it is true that man his way does horrible things without doing anything to encourage potential criminal and kill well.

And yes a dark version of clasique Yuri anime ... good job
Old 2012-11-15, 23:38   Link #13
Shadow5YA

I'm pleasantly surprised that Akane can hold her liquor and laughed off the notion that she has likes Shinya.
Old 2012-11-15, 23:40   Link #14
HandofFate

I wonder how the Sibyl System handles marriage. Like jobs, do they automatically match up partners it judges as most compatible to you, or are people finding love the 'old-fashioned' way.

This episode had a lot of content, and also was really fun. It was amusing watching Akane interact with other characters alone for once. I thought she looked rather cute while she was entertaining herself with the oldstyle arcade games while the younger enforcer was cooking. And also how seemingly for a first time drinker, she can handle her alcohol very well.

It was nice seeing Akane's old school friends again.

The school was creepy. Knew the school idol was trouble the first moment you saw her. Wonder if its a kind of censoring or it was on purpose or what, but I had trouble getting a clear view of the 'statue' in the water fountain. Anyone know what play it might be a reference to from the way its posed?

Looking forward to her next work. XFD.

Has there been any promotional ads for Akane figurines or Akane bodypillows yet?
Old 2012-11-15, 23:50   Link #15
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

I look long but I do not understand how she put her head and leg at this point ... this brief "statue" is "beautiful and morbidly"
Old 2012-11-16, 00:13   Link #16
Terizent
Nonsense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiaki_chan View Post
I look long but I do not understand how she put her head and leg at this point ... this brief "statue" is "beautiful and morbidly"
Well, she cut the parts off and sewed them back together according to her, ah, blueprint and put roses on top of the stitches to hide them.
Old 2012-11-16, 00:27   Link #17
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terizent View Post
Well, she cut the parts off and sewed them back together according to her, ah, blueprint and put roses on top of the stitches to hide them.
ok I see it is actually part of an art club is not for nothing
Old 2012-11-16, 00:34   Link #18
Allium
Keep on keeping on

Another very good episode; there was more backstory this time, which turns out to be related to Kogami's past - specifically, the case during which his Crime Coefficient rose to the point of no return. I didn't expect that Makishima would be the one pulling the strings of the factory murders as well.

This episode was a lot more grotesque, with the murders resembling something that Caster and Ryuunosuke from Fate/Zero would come up with. There were also references to Shakespeare's Titus Andronicus, which is his most violent play, in my opinion. It's not one of his well-known works; I heard of it from my teacher just earlier this year, and I didn't expect at all that Shakespeare would actually write out something like that...

I'd curious on how Makishima managed to manipulate Rikako into committing those atrocious murders, which I'm sure they will be brought up in the coming episodes. I got a Kara-no-Kyoukai-6 vibe upon watching the school scenes.

Other than that, it was nice to see Akane and the other team members interacting with each other. Initially, I wasn't sure of what to make of them, but at this stage they've developed a lot.
Old 2012-11-16, 00:41   Link #19
Shadow5YA

Plastination is actually a process used to preserve body parts for for display at museums. I recall going to my city's natural science museum for the Body Works display. There, they had cross sections of entire human bodies to muscle layers to organs and blood vessels.

I've got to admit that it was pretty... creative of Butch Gen to turn that into a method of murder.
Old 2012-11-16, 01:32   Link #20
U<3Anime
Boo!

Oh sweet flesh human sculptures!

I got mad Kara no Shoujo vibes from the episode.