AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

Old 2007-03-19, 02:42   Link #201
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by K3cT View Post
On the topic of Clannad, a friend told that this game did not do as well as Kanon or AIR in Japan. I suspect so because there's a lack of Clannad fanarts compared to the sheer amounts that Kanon and AIR delivered to us. I'm just curious, is this because of the lack of Hentai in the game? Or is it because the game is not too markedly different (rehashed plot elements and characters) from Key's previous works? Combination of both? I would like to know about this.
If we were to simply look at the sale numbers, I wouldn't say CLANNAD did poorly at all: it sold just as well as all previous Key games, managing to sail over the 100,000 sales line. The lack of adult contents had little effects on the game in terms of sales, and I would surmise popularity as well: Key games were never commented for their ero contents.

It's true that the game didn't receive nearly as much doujin community support as Kanon or AIR did though. If you ask me, I'd attribute that to two things:
1. CLANNAD being a "completed story" with little room for freedom. The story settings were bound so tight, there's no room left for anyone to go in and add their own fan-made plots (ie. for doujinshis)
2. TYPE-MOON's "Fate/stay night" was released around the same time (Fsn in Feb 2004, CLANNAD in Apr 2004), and it absolutely washed away everything else on the scene at the time, pushing even CLANNAD out of the spotlight.

The fact that the game is so mind bogglingly long was also somewhat of an obstacle too, since it prevented many people from completing it within a reasonable amount of time.
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-19, 03:23   Link #202
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by K3cT View Post
A new season of FMP would be nice as well.
After the popularity of Haruhi and Kanon we won't being seeing anything remotely like FMP from Kyoto Animation for a long long time. Just wait until they're done all this Key stuff and then see what happens. They've got stuff they need to do for various reasons. Or maybe GONZO will Veto them and take the series back for themselves.

Uh Oh, they're onto me again.... *Steps back into the shadows*

*Steps Back For One Second*

Spoiler:

Ok time to skedaddle.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-03-19 at 03:50.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-19, 04:00   Link #203
aardvark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
After the popularity of Haruhi and Kanon we won't being seeing anything remotely like FMP from Kyoto Animation for a long long time. Just wait until they're done all this Key stuff and then see what happens. They've got stuff they need to do for various reasons. Or maybe GONZO will Veto them and take the series back for themselves.
I doubt Kodansha will EVER let Gonzo near FMP again, especially after seeing what Kyoani did with the Second Raid. It's just a matter of patience. I think 08 is realistic for another FMP installment from Kyoani...
aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-19, 04:35   Link #204
K3cT
Arcadia of My Youth

Send a message via MSN to K3cT
Well, to be fair, F/SN deserves all the praises it got because the game really delivers. Type-Moon is really good in making their games feel less like a typical VN and more like a good, intricate fantasy/mystery novel. It's just a pity that their works never got to be adapted properly. ;D Imagine if KyoAni is the one animating F/SN instead of Deen...

Quote:
Haruhi I can understand but is Kanon really that popular over there, I mean, moreso than FMP? No, please, not Gonzo. TSR was miles more superior than the first season so I would like to see a similar level of quality in the next season.

Quote:
The fact that the game is so mind bogglingly long was also somewhat of an obstacle too, since it prevented many people from completing it within a reasonable amount of time.
Is it really that much longer than your typical visual novel? Hmm... if it's done well then I see no problem with very long content. Does it get dragged out? Kanon 2006 had these moments as well in the latter parts of the series.
K3cT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-19, 04:52   Link #205
Maids! Maids! Maids!
Tsuruya Cultist

Nuked for now.

Last edited by Maids! Maids! Maids!; 2007-03-19 at 08:36. Reason: Potential spoilers.
Maids! Maids! Maids! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-19, 06:29   Link #206
cyth
Banned

I see spoilerific images. Very nice. o.ob It would help if users posting image material played the game before carelessly posting it.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-19, 06:30   Link #207
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0

i"m a fan of Kanon and just recently watched the last episode and then saw this "breaking news" as a preview for Clannad
another series created by the same guys who did Kanon and Air
i guess since its going to be animated by Kyoto animations seems like more hype is revolving around this anime when it premieres sometimes this year
and even more so theres a Clannad movie being released by Toei
hmmm i wonder if Toei is trying to compete with Kyoto for re-doing the Kanon series?!
to me i dont really feel that much hype with this show
i"m more looking forward to lucky star and Nanoha StrikerS
maybe when it finally premieres and fansubs are released
then i"ll give this show a watch!!

BTW whats up with the twitching guy in the trailer??
kinda creeped me out seeing that
Ultima_Rasengan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-19, 06:45   Link #208
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultima_Rasengan05 View Post
BTW whats up with the twitching guy in the trailer??
kinda creeped me out seeing that
That would be Sunohara, the comic relief of Clannad. Looks like he got hit by Kyou's (the girl with the long light purple hair in the trailer) infamous "dictionary of death".
houkoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-19, 07:19   Link #209
Maids! Maids! Maids!
Tsuruya Cultist

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toua View Post
I see spoilerific images. Very nice. o.ob It would help if users posting image material played the game before carelessly posting it.
Could someone tell me what the spoilers in my previous post were?

Spoiler for something that was shown in the promo:

If that's it, I think I should just untag the post. If it's something else, I'll remove the images and post them later.

Has the game been translated? If not, playing it would be problematic.

Last edited by Maids! Maids! Maids!; 2007-03-19 at 07:35.
Maids! Maids! Maids! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-19, 08:20   Link #210
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maids! Maids! Maids! View Post
Could someone tell me what the spoilers in my previous post were?
As far as I can see:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Spoiler for something that was shown in the promo:
Spoiler:
houkoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-19, 10:10   Link #211
nadare

Send a message via MSN to nadare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y View Post
If we were to simply look at the sale numbers, I wouldn't say CLANNAD did poorly at all: it sold just as well as all previous Key games, managing to sail over the 100,000 sales line. The lack of adult contents had little effects on the game in terms of sales, and I would surmise popularity as well: Key games were never commented for their ero contents.

It's true that the game didn't receive nearly as much doujin community support as Kanon or AIR did though. If you ask me, I'd attribute that to two things:
1. CLANNAD being a "completed story" with little room for freedom. The story settings were bound so tight, there's no room left for anyone to go in and add their own fan-made plots (ie. for doujinshis)
2. TYPE-MOON's "Fate/stay night" was released around the same time (Fsn in Feb 2004, CLANNAD in Apr 2004), and it absolutely washed away everything else on the scene at the time, pushing even CLANNAD out of the spotlight.

Maybe this is the other reason...

Both Air and Kanon had anime to back their popularity, while CLANNAD only had the game to boost its popularity...

Fate/stay night also had an anime backing... And I think that most of the doujin's fate/stay had was from the anime(when I was browsing danbooru before).
nadare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-19, 10:21   Link #212
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadare View Post

Both Air and Kanon had anime to back their popularity, while CLANNAD only had the game to boost its popularity...
It doesn't quite work that way, because the games came before the anime The animes are based on these games.
Old 2007-03-19, 10:56   Link #213
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadare View Post

Fate/stay night also had an anime backing... And I think that most of the doujin's fate/stay had was from the anime(when I was browsing danbooru before).
The games came out waaaay before their respective anime adaptations, and in the case of F/S Night, the anime was a disappointment to the game-fans. The fanbase for Air, Kanon and F/S N were legion long before the animes came out.

Cheers.
Old 2007-03-19, 13:54   Link #214
cyth
Banned

I think you're overreacting a bit. Fate/stay night got released early in 2004, and its anime adaptation got released in 2006. Now, call me a wee bit crazy, but 2 years after the original release is IMO a rather short turnaround time for all anime adaptations, be it printed publications or visual novels (except when we're talking eroanime). And Kanon got its first adaptation in less than 3 years after.
As far as Fate/stay night being a disappointment to game fans, that's actually to be discussed and it's not a definite answer. For one, I loved the UBW path and was rather disappointed that the anime didn't go in that direction, but all in all it was an expected production move that the story will get entwined as much as possible and that at least one story path will get sacrificed in the process. I enjoyed the anime overall.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-19, 14:32   Link #215
FireChick

YAAAAAAAAY!!! A Clannad anime!!! Coooooooool! Nagisa looks so much like Ayu to me. Oh and button (Kyo-chan's pet baby warthog) is so kawaii! Where's Yukine-chan? Kotomi is cute to me but I wanna see more kawaii Nagisa. But sometimes I wish Nagisa got a better name (no offense).
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-19, 14:49   Link #216
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0

i'm kinda surprised
alot of people know about Clannad...i only found out about Clannad the day i seen the trailer after episode 24 of Kanon.....
Quote:
That would be Sunohara, the comic relief of Clannad. Looks like he got hit by Kyou's (the girl with the long light purple hair in the trailer) infamous "dictionary of death".
i guess that explains why he was twitching....maybe he got kicked in a "certain area"
but still it looked pretty weird when i see that guy twitching on the ground....he should be really funny when the series come to premiere...since he is the comic relief of Clannad!!
Ultima_Rasengan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-19, 16:57   Link #217
Chaotic_Reign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post

Uh Oh, they're onto me again.... *Steps back into the shadows*

*Steps Back For One Second*

Spoiler:

Ok time to skedaddle.
Spoiler for spoiler for central theme of game:
Chaotic_Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-19, 17:44   Link #218
K3cT
Arcadia of My Youth

Send a message via MSN to K3cT
Quote:
As far as Fate/stay night being a disappointment to game fans, that's actually to be discussed and it's not a definite answer. For one, I loved the UBW path and was rather disappointed that the anime didn't go in that direction, but all in all it was an expected production move that the story will get entwined as much as possible and that at least one story path will get sacrificed in the process. I enjoyed the anime overall.
My main problem with the F/SN anime is the utterly horrible plot pacing after episode 14. It wasn't so bad before that particular episode but it got amplified after that.

Eh, an UBW path would be nice for the anime but it's hard to do that since no matter what, Fate route is necessary to establish the universe so omitting it will alienate people who never play the game. Besides, we would have continuity issues as well.

Quote:
Eh, now I finally understand what this fanart is all about.
K3cT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-19, 18:41   Link #219
ricerocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y View Post
this really worries me how kyoto will manage to animate clannad... controrary to many game fans of kanon, i actually think kyoto did an excellent job on mashing together the different stories or "lines" from the game... but clannad has much, much stricter plot lines for different girls that to combine them into one like kyoto did for kanon would mean to eliminate a huge chunk of elements from every plot line that make clannad so good to begin with... i really doubt even kyoto can pull it off
ricerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-19, 19:10   Link #220
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Soooo, lets see if a pattern developes. We all know it is going to have many, many sad moments. But my money is for the tragic ending in this one.

Air-Tragic ending

Kanon-Happy ending

Clannad-?(My bet is Tragic)
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bishoujo, drama, key, romance, school life, seinen