AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > sola

Notices

Old 2007-04-06, 20:05   Link #81
cyth
Banned

Watched ep 01...

Spoiler:
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 20:17   Link #82
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

I loved the OP animation for ef-the first tale. The church in ef-the first tale looked a lot better to me (Shinkai and CG of course). Now that you mention it, the 2 girls do look similar to me.
Old 2007-04-06, 20:43   Link #83
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

This one works for me through one episode. Character design is good. Backgrounds are good. Animation is...okay. Voice acting is excellent. Best I've heard (and most I've heard) Honda Youko since Uta~Kata. Story is intriguing. Direction/storyboards seems crisp. Romantic moments work great. Plot could be interesting. Human relations make sense, and are sensitive. Transcends its cliches. A professional job all round, in my opinion. I'll certainly be back for episode two, anyway. Still waiting for Yahagi Sayuri to appear.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2007-04-06 at 21:46.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 20:50   Link #84
mouhitori

Watched episode 1 as well. I think the graphics, songs and atmosphere are the strengths of the series.

A slice-of life with no harem and an extra dimension added is how I would describe it.

Spoiler:

short summary of episode 1 and some screencaps of the sky
mouhitori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 21:04   Link #85
Srin Tuar
無謀

I agree completely with the last two posts, couldnt have said it better.

I didnt come expecting much, so this was a pleasant surprise.
The twist at the end hooked me too, I hope they don't cop out the second half of that scene in ep2. I want to see what happens.
Srin Tuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 21:49   Link #86
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Screenshot for episdoe 1:

When an episode doesn't override the sound effect of the element with the background music, i.e. the sound of the falling rain, then it's a very good start for a series for me. When the bgm does come into play it is appropriate and soothing. I liked it very much. This is the kind of atmosphere I was hoping for from the show Hitohira, and Sola delivers. The way the characters were introduced in the episode has also allowed focus on each segment that plays out in the episode without crowding those scenes with bunch of characters. And yet there were seven characters introduced in the episode!? I'll be very much looking forward to the 2nd episode to confirm the show will maitain this kind of pacing demonstrated in the first episode.

One question: Is Sola the Japanese way of spelling "Sora" as in sky? Or does Sola has a separate meaning altogether?
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 21:55   Link #87
flou
That's no lady

Hmm...I think Sola is just a weird way of romanizing "sora" in Japanese, but sola also is the feminine form of "alone" in Spanish, so it could have a dual meaning
flou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 21:57   Link #88
Asrialys

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
One question: Is Sola the Japanese way of spelling "Sora" as in sky? Or does Sola has a separate meaning altogether?
That, or they may be referring to light (solar? lol). Or both? Maybe even loneliness?
Old 2007-04-06, 22:53   Link #89
Srin Tuar
無謀

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
"r" and "l" are utterly interchangeable in Japanese.
Some people I know will even waver inconsistently between using l's or r's when roomajizing words, even within a single sentence.

Don't think too much of it
Srin Tuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 23:07   Link #90
Asrialys

Are they interchangeable in actual Japanese words? "Sora" isn't a borrowed word. Although, I sometimes see "zu" as "dzu" or "du" for some reason.
Old 2007-04-06, 23:22   Link #91
orion

I hoping that the dual meaning was intentional. "Sky" and "alone" are 2 themes represented in ep. 1.
Old 2007-04-06, 23:25   Link #92
mouhitori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asrialys View Post
Are they interchangeable in actual Japanese words? "Sora" isn't a borrowed word. Although, I sometimes see "zu" as "dzu" or "du" for some reason.
Well, "l" does not exist in Japanese (romaji), so "r" is usually used as a substitute.
So for example, a foreign word "luis" becomes "ruisu"
Maybe this is the same principle applied in reverse.
I think a good precedent is "lamune" the anime which comes from "ramune" the drink.

So I do think sola here means sora, especially because it is consistent with the theme presented.

However, if most characters got killed and only one character is left , I would accept the other double meaning, that of "alone"
Old 2007-04-06, 23:31   Link #93
orion

But....

Spoiler:
Old 2007-04-06, 23:40   Link #94
mouhitori

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
But....

Spoiler:
I admit that's true, I guess I was just over-dramatizing my condition for the dual-meaning

Spoiler:
Old 2007-04-06, 23:44   Link #95
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Didn't we already have this discussion about the title?

Anyway... glad to hear about the atmospherics -- precisely what I was looking for. I stripped the audio out of the drama CD and listen to the musical track too often for my own good (what can I say, I moved to Oregon because I love the rain... now it doesn't rain much anymore ).
Old 2007-04-06, 23:46   Link #96
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Here's hoping for someone to sub this. After I've burnt all my completed anime to DVD, I'm going to watch a lot of first episodes of this season. Sola's among my top priorities.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-07, 00:01   Link #97
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

I want to watch this ASAP, but I am not in the mood to watch another RAW right now.
Old 2007-04-07, 00:55   Link #98
Asrialys

I can't explain it, but I've never wanted an anime subbed more than this one (of the new stuff)...

Maybe it's because I miss shows like Canvas2, Da Capo, and Da Capo Second Season. *shrug*

Anyway, I somewhat fear for the animation. It reminded me of the TV broadcast version of YoakeNa during sola's first scene in the hospital. Fortunately, that wasn't seen much throughout the episode.

Last edited by Asrialys; 2007-04-07 at 01:46.
Asrialys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-07, 01:38   Link #99
Omniscient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asrialys View Post
Maybe it's because I miss shows like Canvas2, Da Capo, and Da Capo Second Season. *shrug*
This season has a relative lack of shows that can be compared to those you listed, and after seeing this first episode, I think that sola came out being one of the better ones of that type that are airing. There's a lot of interesting elements here, so I'm looking forward to how the story develops.
Omniscient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-07, 03:20   Link #100
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Tsukihime with AIR sorta vibe.
Least that's my initial impression from episode 1.

I think the guy's sister is also another vampire? Her room is totally devoid of sunlight and when he tried to push open the curtain, she tells him no.

Tags
bishoujo, drama, nomad, romance, seinen, supernatural