Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2006-12-16, 11:23   Link #1
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
corrupt files?

well my computer has been acting up for w hile now and its been annoying me greatly not being able to find out whats wrong with it...

first problem:
the disk defragmenter program is not working ~ as in now even starting up...
everytime i try to open the program a black box appears and then disappeares within 0.5 secs...i couldnt even read what the error is...

i tried looking for the answer all over the net but found nothing...

so well i thought that i did something wrong so i tried as system restore back a few days...

this leads to my second problem...system restore would not work for some reason O.o everytime it reaches to the load up screen after i restart it keeps saying something like "the system cannot be found so it cannot be restored ~ select another checkpoint" (not exact words as i cant remeber how the full sentence went)

and just now when trying to use MSpaint this came up...
mspaint.exe - bad image
"the application or DLL C:\WINDOWS\system32\MFC42u.DDL is not a valid windows image. please check this against your installation diskette"

i mean wtf? just what is happening? being a total noob on how computer program works i am stumped...

will some good soul plz help me as im about "this" close to smashing my comp into pieces

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-16, 12:06   Link #2
RaistlinMajere
Now in MHD!
*Fansubber

Google that file (note, it's DLL not DDL) and replace the one you have... Might work. Or try to repair your installation using the Windows CD...
RaistlinMajere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-16, 14:07   Link #3
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
well my computer has been acting up for w hile now and its been annoying me greatly not being able to find out whats wrong with it...

first problem:
the disk defragmenter program is not working ~ as in now even starting up...
everytime i try to open the program a black box appears and then disappeares within 0.5 secs...i couldnt even read what the error is...

i tried looking for the answer all over the net but found nothing...

so well i thought that i did something wrong so i tried as system restore back a few days...

this leads to my second problem...system restore would not work for some reason O.o everytime it reaches to the load up screen after i restart it keeps saying something like "the system cannot be found so it cannot be restored ~ select another checkpoint" (not exact words as i cant remeber how the full sentence went)

and just now when trying to use MSpaint this came up...
mspaint.exe - bad image
"the application or DLL C:\WINDOWS\system32\MFC42u.DDL is not a valid windows image. please check this against your installation diskette"

i mean wtf? just what is happening? being a total noob on how computer program works i am stumped...

will some good soul plz help me as im about "this" close to smashing my comp into pieces
MFC (Microsoft Foundation Classes) is a Framework.. like AWT in Java (I suppose that information does not help you much ). Okay, this special DLL (dynamic link library) is part of said Framework. Many applications that are coded for Windows use MFC, so it is a somewhat vital file. Sometimes other programs install other versions of MFC (which in your case seems to be the troublemaker).
Okay, thats all very interesting (not realy)... But how do I get the original file back, you might ask...
On your Windows Installation CD is a folder called i386. In there should be a file with the same name as your corrupted file (but the last letter is a "_" e.g. if the corrupt file is system.dll, the actual naming of the file in the i386 folder would be system.dl_ ). That just indicates, that the file is compressed. There exists a console program called "expand". With that tool you can decompress the file and write it over the corrupt file.

wish you success
Old 2006-12-16, 15:16   Link #4
Tursiops_G
Technoid

You may also want to check for possible Bad RAM... That CAN cause all kinds of havoc...

You can get Memtest86+ from here: http://www.memtest.org

Get either the Self-Extracting Boot Floppy version, or the Bootable CD .ISO Image, and boot the affected PC from it to give your RAM a Thorough Checkup.

HTH,

-Tursiops_G.
Tursiops_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-16, 15:27   Link #5
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto Lin View Post
On your Windows Installation CD is a folder called i386. In there should be a file with the same name as your corrupted file (but the last letter is a "_" e.g. if the corrupt file is system.dll, the actual naming of the file in the i386 folder would be system.dl_ ). That just indicates, that the file is compressed. There exists a console program called "expand". With that tool you can decompress the file and write it over the corrupt file.

wish you success
where is the "expand" command or do i have to download it from somewhere?
also what do i do after i expanded the file? copy and past over the affected one?

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Old 2006-12-16, 15:33   Link #6
Epyon9283
Geek

Send a message via ICQ to Epyon9283 Send a message via AIM to Epyon9283
Put your XP cd in and run "sfc /scannow"
Epyon9283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-16, 16:31   Link #7
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

eureka!!! it works!! O.o thankyou guys for the help

Old 2006-12-16, 19:55   Link #8
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

I know you fixed it already, but I want to answer your question (just so you know).

If you start the console (run "cmd"), you can type in it the command "expand" it is a command line tool (like those in the old DOS days).

short example for usage:

X:\working_directory>expand d:\i386\somefile.dl_ c:\windows\system32\somefile.dll

(expand [souce] [destination])
Old 2006-12-17, 10:51   Link #9
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

thankies ill keep that in mind