AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-03-11, 16:24   Link #101
DingoEnderZOE2

Send a message via AIM to DingoEnderZOE2
Pfft one simple element from Dead Space isn't enough to compare it to Tomb Raider.

As for her being weak and defenseless, dude you were raised as a spoiled princess and you never been in major conflict in your life OF COURSE YOU'RE GONNA BE WEAK AND DEFENSELESS WHEN IT ACTUALLY HAPPENS TO YOU FOR THE FIRST TIME IN YOUR LIFE ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU DON'T HAVE YOUR MENTOR TO HOLD YOUR HAND LIKE YOU'RE USED TO.

Also that small spike she fell onto wasn't that long and it just passed right through her skin and it wasn't deep inside of her skin therefore her bleeding to death wasn't likely to happen so long as she just kept pressure on it. Now if the spike went directly into her skin and not in and out THEN the risk of her bleeding to death would have been higher.

Plus it's not like she forgot about her wound she held onto it the majority of the time until she was able to get out of the cave plus the game acknowledges it happens by keeping the scar there. Oh and Spoiler Alert, there's a part later in the game where she gets stabbed to the point where SHE HAD to get treatment otherwise she would bleed to death and she had to treat it with a FREAKING HOT ARROW.

As for animals, c'mon she's gotta eat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooPurePureBoy View Post
Is it a bad game? No it looks amazing and has some fun parts but 12 HOURS of storyline gameplay for a TombRaider game is unacceptable. I can't believe I payed full price for this like an idiot. This would be an excellent game for say 15-20 bucks.
Good thing I was smart and rented the game, I liked the game alot but even I know 60 bucks would have been much. I personally didn't enjoy the original Tomb Raider games because they were so complicated, I just level skipped, Tomb Raider Legends, Aniversary, and underworld were great and I was able to actually play them but they were ALL SHORT. I loved the fact that this game was longer than the others, and if you're one of those who whine and complain about lack of proper tombs relax, that's what sequels are for.
Anime evaluating:None
Manga in progress:None at the moment
DingoEnderZOE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-11, 16:24   Link #102
Dahak86
Classics never age

I've been trying a couple of the nude-mods available for the game, and while far from excellence, they're not that bad all things considered. A pity they can only be used when in dx9...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Pretty sure there're video compilations on the grisly ways Lara can die in this reboot.
It would've been strange if there weren't any:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOTW0cH9a7Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyVHV7ct4gU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qfDiULrnjI

Though one could argue the comments is actually where it's at.
Dahak86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-11, 17:08   Link #103
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingoEnderZOE2 View Post
Pfft one simple element from Dead Space isn't enough to compare it to Tomb Raider.

As for her being weak and defenseless, dude you were raised as a spoiled princess and you never been in major conflict in your life OF COURSE YOU'RE GONNA BE WEAK AND DEFENSELESS WHEN IT ACTUALLY HAPPENS TO YOU FOR THE FIRST TIME IN YOUR LIFE ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU DON'T HAVE YOUR MENTOR TO HOLD YOUR HAND LIKE YOU'RE USED TO.

Also that small spike she fell onto wasn't that long and it just passed right through her skin and it wasn't deep inside of her skin therefore her bleeding to death wasn't likely to happen so long as she just kept pressure on it. Now if the spike went directly into her skin and not in and out THEN the risk of her bleeding to death would have been higher.

Plus it's not like she forgot about her wound she held onto it the majority of the time until she was able to get out of the cave plus the game acknowledges it happens by keeping the scar there. Oh and Spoiler Alert, there's a part later in the game where she gets stabbed to the point where SHE HAD to get treatment otherwise she would bleed to death and she had to treat it with a FREAKING HOT ARROW.

As for animals, c'mon she's gotta eat.

Good thing I was smart and rented the game, I liked the game alot but even I know 60 bucks would have been much. I personally didn't enjoy the original Tomb Raider games because they were so complicated, I just level skipped, Tomb Raider Legends, Aniversary, and underworld were great and I was able to actually play them but they were ALL SHORT. I loved the fact that this game was longer than the others, and if you're one of those who whine and complain about lack of proper tombs relax, that's what sequels are for.
Relax, I was sayin her development seemed flat and rushed. Thats all. I sure hope that wound was properly covered up and cleaned so it didn't get infected.
Old 2013-03-11, 18:51   Link #104
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

I think having fun and enjoying the game is the best thing in any video game.
Old 2013-03-11, 20:28   Link #105
DingoEnderZOE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
Relax, I was sayin her development seemed flat and rushed. Thats all. I sure hope that wound was properly covered up and cleaned so it didn't get infected.
I dunno about that, what one considers flat varies from person to person so I won't comment on that, but as far as her development being rushed if the length of the game was the same as the previous Tomb Raiders of the previous generation I would have to agree with you but with how long the game is her development didn't seem that rushed to me, she didn't start getting aggressive and confident in herself until near the end of the game.......And once she got the grenade Launcher.

Don't go by only with what you're hearing, cuz it sounds like you are, just play the game and form your OWN OPINION, like you did with Bayonetta.
Old 2013-03-11, 20:49   Link #106
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

But I still ended up hating it for the same reasons.

I'll play tomb raider when I see it in the red Box at my walmart.
Old 2013-03-11, 21:02   Link #107
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The "12 hours" of story material several reviews noted has my attention. $50 for 12 hrs. I'll even be generous and triple that to 36hrs.

Whereas Dragon Age and the Elder Scroll games for $50-$60 each got me hundreds of hours of fun.

That's the primary reason I'll wait for a sale. So, I think TR looks entertaining, I just think I'll wait for a more competitive price point.
Old 2013-03-11, 21:08   Link #108
DingoEnderZOE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
But I still ended up hating it for the same reasons.

I'll play tomb raider when I see it in the red Box at my walmart.
Yeah I know you hated it you sexist person you ^_^ but you still formed YOUR OWN opinion from the experience and that's what's important. Just get used to the idea of playing as females already.

My friend Red Boxed the game but if you have it You could just gamefly it like I did.
Old 2013-03-11, 21:26   Link #109
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Yeah I know you hated it you sexist person you ^_^ but you still formed YOUR OWN opinion from the experience and that's what's important. Just get used to the idea of playing as females already.

My friend Red Boxed the game but if you have it You could just gamefly it like I did.
I Know your kidding but yea, Not sexist if I hate her because she's the very definition of the type of female leads i hate.
Old 2013-03-12, 01:06   Link #110
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

I find it somewhat amusing how the "Assault Rifle" starts as an IJA Type-100 submachinegun, and then suddenly morphs into what I assume is a StG 44 assault rifle (It looks like an AK-47, which I can believe surviving Yamatai, since AKs are nigh-on indestructible, but given the German presence I'm inclined to think it's a StG 44).

Also, the attachments and mods are for the most part obviously kitbashed, which does amuse me somewhat.

One thing I'm not keen on is that it seems only the last 5 enemy bodies remain on the ground to be looted. *shrug* So I solve this problem by immediate killing and looting, complete with combat rolls. ;p

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-12, 07:55   Link #111
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept

Ya the 12 hours of storyplay is no joke. If the Island had been the opening location to a greater adventure say like 3 more locations after it, I would have been a lot more open to calling this a great game. Just totally unambitious.

It just seems like another example of these gaming companies giving up on making great games and just following the formula of great graphics, short story arc that will be supplemented later with dlc you pay for. MAKE SURE YOU PUT IN A USELESS MULTIPLAYER FUNCTION FOR A GAME THAT NOBODY WANTS TO BE MULTIPLAYER. "Quick guys make sure this has a shoddy skill tree so we can claim to be an rpg genre as well!".

That said I should reiterate I did enjoy the actual game while playing.
Old 2013-03-12, 12:49   Link #112
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Why does a game have to be long to be a "great game"?
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-12, 13:51   Link #113
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Always something. Too long too short. Remember the MGS4 complaints got about all the cutscenes?
Old 2013-03-12, 14:17   Link #114
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept

It doesn't have to be long to be great. If it was a 20 dollar game like I said that would have been great. But if you are gonna charge full price ($50+) for a game it's gotta keep me entertained for more than 12 hours sorry.
Old 2013-03-12, 14:25   Link #115
DingoEnderZOE2

Quote:
To some people it's a way to validate whether or not a game is worth 60 bucks, To those people if a game is long they will ALWAYS think it's worth the price. But to me it's not the length that matters to me, it's how enjoyable and great an experience is to me that can determine whether or not I want to spend 60 bucks. Not to say Length isn't important, I mean we certainly don't want to spend 60 bucks on an extremely short game regardless of how fun it was right? It's all about having the right length, not too short but IN SOME CASES not too long.

Also not everyone has money all like that to spend carelessly therefore they would be hesitate on spending that much money unless they were absolutely sure it's able to keep their attention long otherwise they feel it wasn't worth the money they just lost in their eyes.

P.S. The length in this game was longer than Tomb Raider Legend and underworld and to me THAT WAS A HUGE IMPROVEMENT......Not gonna deny though that if multiplayer wasn't included in the game the game perhaps could have been longer.
Old 2013-03-12, 15:11   Link #116
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
"long" is not the simplistic solution but "entertained for a certain period of time" is. I tend to value entertainment by the $$/hr.

So a game that entertains me for 24hrs at $60 = $2.5/hr. A movie for $10 is $5/hr. A game of golf may cost $100 ($25/hr) or $20 ($5/hr) depending on the location.

A game can be 40 hours long but if it is boring tedium then no, it isn't an automatic win. Assuming Tomb Raider ($50) has the same immersion quality as, say, Borderlands2 ($60) ... 12hrs of TR = ~$4/hr whereas BD2 at 60hrs is ~$1/hr.

Therefore, it looks like TR is an entertaining game but I'm going to wait for a sale.
Old 2013-03-12, 17:01   Link #117
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

The length argument is disingenuous. Hundreds of hours in Skyrim/Dragon Age. Yea, ok. Unless you're the world's slowest reader, have dementia, and are blind with no hands, no one takes hundreds of hours to play through the story of either game.

Skyrim's story can be played through in a matter of a few hours, and my DA:O with 95% completion was done in 27 hours. If all I had cared about was the story, it obviously would have been even shorter. Now, for the record, I think Skyrim is a totally shitty game, mainly because story is the primary motivation for me to play a game, and Skyrim-like most Beth games-doesn't have much of a story to talk about, and took about five hours to complete. Lore? Tons of lore, which is why I'm semi-excited over the ES MMO, as an actual "living" world is where I think lore really has its place. I enjoyed DA:O a lot (and I even enjoyed the story of DA 2, while really, really detesting the recycled areas and lost potential with all the story threads that seemed to have been cut with such a short development time).

My point is that Tomb Raider is a cinematic, story-driven game. It's fairly short, but you do yourself no favors if you're going to try to compare spending 12 hours to play through the story with "hundreds of hours" which I can guarantee were NOT spent playing through a story, but whacking off at shooting arrows at villagers or whatever other sandboxy elements you find "fun".

If story isn't why you play video games, than obviously a cinematic, story-driven game like this isn't going to be your cup of tea, but please do not pretend story is the driving motivation when you use the "hundreds of hours" argument.

We get it. This game has a lot of hate from those who really wanted it to fail, with pre-conceived notions of Lara fatigue prior to its release (the first half of this thread is so giggle-inducing self-masturbatory in that regard), and it succeeding really hurts in that special place. Make up whatever excuses you will, but I believe it's sold enough, that any "red box" sales will be inconsequential to what presumably is a sequel already in the works.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-12, 17:19   Link #118
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Did I hurt your feelings, creb? Or do you not understand replay value (playing as different kinds of characters), side stories, nonlinear worlds, and mods? I simply was explaining how I value games. Apparently that generates butthurt and the need to insult for some. I also enjoyed DA:O ... not the sequel so much.

I've said repeatedly that TR looks like it will be entertaining, but simply not at the current price point.

Last edited by Vexx; 2013-03-12 at 17:45.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-12, 17:33   Link #119
Xagzan

Got to the first secret tomb! Man, I gotta bone up on my archaeology. Games like this always have that effect on me

And so far I have seen Lara quite a few grisly deaths. But, weirdly, I think the incredible amount of harsh shit she's being put through makes me connect with her more, and heightens the immersion factor.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-12, 17:50   Link #120
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
"long" is not the simplistic solution but "entertained for a certain period of time" is. I tend to value entertainment by the $$/hr.
Quantifying fun like this is a bit, uh... it's not something I can agree with, I'm sorry.
Quote:
I mean we certainly don't want to spend 60 bucks on an extremely short game regardless of how fun it was right?
Why not? You can beat some classic, beloved NES games in under a couple of hours and they retailed at about the same price. More than that, actually, I believe.

What matters more is how much real content a game has over the period of time it takes to complete, not the number of hours spent completing content.
If you remove the padding from some games they become far, far shorter...
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote