AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2008-08-17, 21:27   Link #1
toru310

Moving huges files...

Hi, i got my new rig and I want to clean my harddrive by moving all the data and leaving only there the animes and musics...So all of my files are in one folder should I move them all at once or should I move them by folders...which is more efficient? Also in my harddrive per folder there are tons of files...

I don't cause I never moved huge files before...

My Files is about 18gig
And my torrent downloads is about 34.5gigs

The move is only temporary. I don't have enough money to buy another drive...
toru310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-17, 21:52   Link #2
arenine

It's best to just move all the files at once and go do something else for an hour or two. It doesn't really make a significant difference if you do it all at once or by folder although waiting for the user is probably the most inefficient part of the chain.
arenine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-18, 00:01   Link #3
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Well...if you're going to be moving data instead of anime and music, you're choosing by folders. It makes more sense to choose things to move than to move more than you should.

Is this from one hard drive to another? From a laptop? From another PC?
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-18, 01:06   Link #4
toru310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
Well...if you're going to be moving data instead of anime and music, you're choosing by folders. It makes more sense to choose things to move than to move more than you should.

Is this from one hard drive to another? From a laptop? From another PC?
Its from a drive to another...and I will be removing my old harddrive with anime to a external enclosure since my old harddrive is IDE...

So nothing will really happen if I move all the files in a folder? I mean 1 folder of mine contains thousands of files...

A little of topic..how can I install the japanese characters in my windows? I know there was a thread here before but I can't find it....I have my cd.
Old 2008-08-18, 01:47   Link #5
Tiberium Wolf

Remember that if have read-only files it will pop up a window and so the move stops till u choose an option.
BTW, I usually make a crc of all things I move. You never know if you moved without error. Make crc, copy to other side, check crc, if ok delete source.
Old 2008-08-18, 01:56   Link #6
toru310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
Remember that if have read-only files it will pop up a window and so the move stops till u choose an option.
BTW, I usually make a crc of all things I move. You never know if you moved without error. Make crc, copy to other side, check crc, if ok delete source.
Ok thanks..

Last edited by toru310; 2008-08-18 at 03:46.
Old 2008-08-19, 13:54   Link #7
cyberbeing

You may want to check out TeraCopy which is a replacement for Windows default copy mechanism. It can be handy for copying/moving large numbers of files. If you do decide to use TeraCopy you may want to install Unlocker as well considering that when TeraCopy runs into a locked file/folder it will ask you if you want to run Unlocker as long as it's installed.
Old 2008-08-21, 20:24   Link #8
Furuno
Fuwaaa~~~
*IT Support

Send a message via Yahoo to Furuno
Other alternatives that I've always did when I'm copying a huge files is by putting them to an archive first and then move that archive itself. Since most archive automatically use CRC it should also ensure that your files copied properly. Also this method is very efficient for copying a lot of small files. Don't worry about the compressing/decompressing process, just use the non-compressed setting (for storage only).

Recenly I've moved a huge deal of various files (anime, audio, application, documents, and even my virtual disk image) sized 189 GB from one HDD to another with this method...

Check my Blog / Thread / Twitter for some random stuffs...
Furuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-21, 22:12   Link #9
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

For those of you running *nix, a good method that's similar to Furuno's is to use tar and a pipe. For instance, suppose you want to copy the entire /home tree to another location, say /opt/home. You can use this technique:

# cd /
# tar cpf - home | ( cd /opt; tar xvf -)

This tars the home directories (and preserves things like permissions, timestamps, etc.) and sends the output to stdout, represented here by the hyphen. The tar file is then piped to another instance of tar that extracts the files and creates /opt/home with everything intact.

This tip comes from the book Unix Power Tools published by O'Reilly.

Another excellent tool for moving lots of files or for synchronizing directories on different drives or machines is rsync, written by Andrew Tridgell who wrote the original version of Samba, the *nix file server for Windows clients. I use rsync all the time to create backup snapshots or to keep various directories in sync. There's a version for Windows users here.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-22, 17:13   Link #10
Epyon9283
Geek

Send a message via ICQ to Epyon9283 Send a message via AIM to Epyon9283
I used tar recently with ssh to copy the entire filesystem on a couple of Linux machines I was afraid to bring down (very old) to a different system. It was neat.

ssh -C host.name "tar cf - /" > localfile.tar

Last edited by Epyon9283; 2008-08-22 at 17:59.
Epyon9283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-22, 18:02   Link #11
Strahan

I was thinking the same thing, except in Windows lingo. Open a command window and you can use xcopy. If I had a folder c:\media that had my anime, music, etc etc all in a ton of folders and stuff and I wanted to move it to d:\media, I'd go to the command prompt and type

xcopy c:\media\*.* /e/c/h/y/o d:\media

That will copy everything, including folders and hidden files to the other drive, continue on any errors, copy permissions and overwrite existing on source.
Strahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-27, 16:05   Link #12
Claes
Claes lover

Its from hard disk right? Then its no problem
I once copy a whole directory full of uncompressed manga (around 200 thousand files I think), left it and do something else.
Im not using explorer btw. Ive ditch that ages ago, and replaced it the almighty Total Commander
Old 2008-08-29, 06:36   Link #13
toru310

How about moving huge files via usb? I might first put the old HDD in a enclosure then commence with the files transfer...
Old 2008-08-29, 07:04   Link #14
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakkoii View Post
How about moving huge files via usb? I might first put the old HDD in a enclosure then commence with the files transfer...
You can do that, just be aware that USB will take a while. If you have all the time in the world, go for it. Just make sure that the enclosure dissipates heat well. If it doesn't have a fan built-in you may want to get your own fan and just point it at the enclosure.

If you have 100+ GB of files and want the transfer to be over within an hour or two, take the old hard drive and hook it up to your newer system.
Old 2008-08-29, 07:19   Link #15
Phantom-Takaya
INTJ
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via MSN to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via Yahoo to Phantom-Takaya
There is another option pertaining to hard drive enclosures. Some, more expensive, hard drive enclosures allow firewire connection. But again, hooking it up internally or externally, you're still looking at a possibly long waiting period if these files are as huge as they sound.
Phantom-Takaya is offline   Reply With Quote