AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > Mahouka [LN/M]

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-05-09, 00:34   Link #741
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by potchip View Post
Oh nooos, with the one child policy in China and low birthdate of Japan, India will soon rise up and dominate the world with huge amount of magicians </sarcasm>

Message is don't think too deeply about the setting. It's a LN afterall.
*Shrug*

If the setting allows for it, why not? Otherwise this would just be another romcom series to be enjoy and not to think.

Btw, did any of you bother to google the word 'Pushion' ? I can't believe this was never brought up.
Old 2012-05-09, 01:56   Link #742
Seitsuki
Onee!

The official translation is psion. Stop giving people weird ideas.

......and I didn't google it. No sir.
Old 2012-05-09, 01:57   Link #743
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitsuki View Post
The official translation is psion. Stop giving people weird ideas.

......and I didn't google it. No sir.
Actually there are two of them, one is Psion the other is Pushion.
Old 2012-05-09, 02:00   Link #744
Seitsuki
Onee!

.......oh sweet dear lord you're right.

Ok, gonna go look for an alternative ASAP.
Old 2012-05-09, 02:01   Link #745
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitsuki View Post
.......oh sweet dear lord you're right.

Ok, gonna go look for an alternative ASAP.
Why? I think it's more funny this way
Old 2012-05-09, 07:17   Link #746
NeutralZero

Haaah... oh welll...
Hope this LN have an anime... the sooner the better...
Perhaps having an anime would garner more attention and by that more translator would come and translator this novel...
It did work to some LN... according to someone that is...
Or perhaps an official English version kinda like Haruhi but that seems to be far and ain't gonna happen...
Old 2012-05-09, 07:24   Link #747
bludvein

Its definitely possible considering it seems fairly popular and has a pretty good manga adaptation going already, but its too soon. Give the LN at least a couple more volumes yet before you start worrying.
Old 2012-05-09, 07:38   Link #748
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZero View Post
Or perhaps an official English version kinda like Haruhi but that seems to be far and ain't gonna happen...
Don't bother, even the most popular Light Novels sold horribly in the western markets; they'll never do that again.
Old 2012-05-09, 09:54   Link #749
tsunade666

does that apply to all? because bungako shoujo or library girl should do good though I'm not looking at the data of it's sales or even hearing anything about it getting poor sales.
Old 2012-05-09, 12:36   Link #750
Awrya
U mad?

I know that some LN get licensed and are available in the US, but in Europe I have never seen any of those. The fact that LN are popular doesn't mean they will do well in western markets as well, after all they are foremost aimed at a Japanese audience.
Old 2012-05-09, 19:46   Link #751
blackwhite67
Banned

Besides Westerners (American) dont like reading. I mean, the whole reason we watch anime and other Japanese entertainment is to avoid reading in the first place. Reading manga doesn't count because it's more like just looking at pictures rather than reading.
Old 2012-05-09, 20:03   Link #752
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
does that apply to all? because bungako shoujo or library girl should do good though I'm not looking at the data of it's sales or even hearing anything about it getting poor sales.
Yes it applies to all, no exceptions, zero special cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awrya View Post
I know that some LN get licensed and are available in the US, but in Europe I have never seen any of those. The fact that LN are popular doesn't mean they will do well in western markets as well, after all they are foremost aimed at a Japanese audience.
There's a whole bunch of articles on the web about why LN never took off in the English-speaking market, I can't be bothered to quote all of them -_-

That's why I've been saying- If you want to get into this hobby, you better start learning a second language- Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Spanish, Russian etc. Because everything else would come faster than English.
Old 2012-05-09, 20:34   Link #753
bludvein

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwhite67 View Post
Besides Westerners (American) dont like reading. I mean, the whole reason we watch anime and other Japanese entertainment is to avoid reading in the first place. Reading manga doesn't count because it's more like just looking at pictures rather than reading.
Speak for yourself. Im American and reading is my favorite hobby.

Rather than something generalized like that, the reason LN do so poor in Western markets is because of poor marketing. They can't compete when the stuff they are releasing is so old. Most of the people interested have already read a fan translation somewhere else. Its the same reason manga does so poorly here.
Old 2012-05-09, 20:41   Link #754
Log
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Don't bother, even the most popular Light Novels sold horribly in the western markets; they'll never do that again.
By the most popular you mean Haruhi right? I personally think that the reason why it sold poorly was a combination of the fact that most American fans have already watched the anime which consists of most of the earlist volumes plot and also the fact that Americans don't get some of the humor behind Haruhi that's lost in translation.

Slice of life books are also less liked by most people in America and they prefer advanture's books more hence why Haruhi did poorly in America. I think that books like Slayer and The Legend of Legendary Heroes will sell better in America then Haruhi.
Old 2012-05-09, 20:52   Link #755
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Log View Post
By the most popular you mean Haruhi right? I personally think that the reason why it sold poorly was a combination of the fact that most American fans have already watched the anime which consists of most of the earlist volumes plot and also the fact that Americans don't get some of the humor behind Haruhi that's lost in translation.
Haruhi and Shana actually, I don't think it gets any more 'well known' than those two.

Secondly, the kind of people that would buy Light Novels are the kind of people that more or less have an understanding for that Anime style, so that reason that 'they just don't get it' just doesn't fly.

Quote:
Slice of life books are also less liked by most people in America and they prefer advanture's books more hence why Haruhi did poorly in America. I think that books like Slayer and The Legend of Legendary Heroes will sell better in America then Haruhi.
I don't know how popular Slayers is with the west, but I'm almost certain DenYuuDen has got very little recognition there.

Regardless none of that matters because in general the English community just isn't interested.

As well as a WHOLE bunch of other reasons.
Old 2012-05-09, 21:16   Link #756
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Haruhi and Shana actually, I don't think it gets any more 'well known' than those two.

Secondly, the kind of people that would buy Light Novels are the kind of people that more or less have an understanding for that Anime style, so that reason that 'they just don't get it' just doesn't fly.

I don't know how popular Slayers is with the west, but I'm almost certain DenYuuDen has got very little recognition there.

Regardless none of that matters because in general the English community just isn't interested.

As well as a WHOLE bunch of other reasons.
Despite DYD's pathetic BD/DVD sales in Japan, Fumination is releasing English dubbed and subbed BD/DVDs, which is quite shocking to me. This suggests to me it's actually garnering more attention in States than in Japan.

The problem with DYD LNs however would be that it would be quite hard to translate into proper English, because of its relatively primitive + fragmented writing. It's extremely easy to read but 'hard' to translate into something not too painful to read without some serious editing and embellishment. Mahouka, while extremely tough to translate, can be rendered into proper English sentences without the need to supplement or revise the content and sentences too much.
Old 2012-05-10, 03:31   Link #757
kfcpanda

:O oh how cultures clash!

Back to the story, is there any chance a summary for web arc 5/6 is coming soon?
I've found myself quite vested in this story now and Tatsuya and am anxiously awaiting news of what's happening.
That, and any updates on if BT is still translating it?

Oh, and have any romance flags been advanced? From what I've seen, the most there's been was the dance with Miyuki which is is kinda weak or does this change in later arcs? (Like with Honoka/Mayumi?)
Old 2012-05-10, 03:52   Link #758
whsie

I currently only have up to chapter 9 of web 5 and up to chapter 3 or so of web 6. If someone else gets it out before I finish it, great. If not, I'll work on web 5 summary when I have the whole thing.

^ Dude, there's a ton of flags.
Spoiler for have you been in a cave?:
Old 2012-05-10, 04:03   Link #759
EnigmaticAxiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsie View Post
I currently only have up to chapter 9 of web 5 and up to chapter 3 or so of web 6. If someone else gets it out before I finish it, great. If not, I'll work on web 5 summary when I have the whole thing.

^ Dude, there's a ton of flags.
Spoiler for have you been in a cave?:
I'm up to chapter 12 on web 5 and am almost done with chapter 13. I'll probably be finished with arc 5 within the next 24 hours. I'll release a summary shortly after I finish up, so if you haven't started a summary, then you can feel free to not bother typing one up.
Old 2012-05-10, 04:03   Link #760
kfcpanda

Wow that sounds awesome, thanks a bunch both of you!

Ooh crap, I must've missed it, can't believe myself. Where were all of these flags? The only ones I've seen were towards the end of web arc 2 with the dance and the invitation from Jum to marry Mayumi into the 10 families. I think there was a date with Miyuki later with something to do with an actress short story but apart from those scenes, I don't recall any. Would you mind please pointing these flags out? And that Honoka confession, when did that take place?

Yeah I realize it isn't a romance LN per se, but most of these action stories have romance subplots which I love focusing on since I love romance but actual romance stories are too peachy for me haha. Go figure.

Edit: I found one of the Mayumi flags, the one where they're studying and Tatsuya says some stuff with double entendres. Any other flags/location of Honoka flag?
Closed Thread

Tags
action, fantasy, harem, incest, mahouka, rettousei, school life, shounen, siblings