AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-11-21, 09:50   Link #1441
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post

That's why in most engagements where you have the inferior tanks, the goal is generally to sneak a tank into the enemy's flank and shoot at the weaker armor there. Ironically, this is what the Germans had to do more than the Allies did. The main reason we don't hear about this is that too much of the World War II story is told from the Western Ally point of view.
I think its more of delaying tactic or act of desperation.... Anyway, I doubt those tanks would try to sneak without infantry support. They'll be easy target for mines and C4
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-21, 10:18   Link #1442
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

I really like Naomi. Calm and cool, and focused on the job... but when it's all done she can lean back and rest her head in a set of soft pillows and appreciate a good match.

Also, this episode was exceedingly fun. Ep 4 was pretty fun, what with urban warfare and all, but this episode was really entertaining and had more humour.

Wonder what that song that kicked in at 07:15 was, but it sounded typically American.

And yes, using The Army Goes Rolling Along as the entrance for Kay, bringing the Cavalry with her, was appropriately win.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-21, 10:38   Link #1443
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturia Polaris View Post
It's a martial art/game. Of course, but that doesn't mean you can't take it seriously?
Martial arts tournaments are taken to a level of serious business that's very high. It doesn't mean that tournament martial arts are completely applicable to real life.

There is a very good reason why militaries teach combative systems like MCMAP and Krav Maga.

As for your suggestion, having neither the time or inclination to post a wall of text, I will simply put that Oarai was outnumbered and outgunned, and their only hope of winning was to kill the Saunders flag tank before they were all defeated. They had no chance of going up against those Shermans and surviving long enough to kill all of them.

Being in a position where they could choose between the Easy Eight flag tank and the Firefly, the fastest way of securing a win would be to kill the Easy Eight.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2012-11-21, 10:43   Link #1444
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Martial arts tournaments are taken to a level of serious business that's very high. It doesn't mean that tournament martial arts are completely applicable to real life.

There is a very good reason why militaries teach combative systems like MCMAP and Krav Maga.

As for your suggestion, having neither the time or inclination to post a wall of text, I will simply put that Oarai was outnumbered and outgunned, and their only hope of winning was to kill the Saunders flag tank before they were all defeated. They had no chance of going up against those Shermans and surviving long enough to kill all of them.

Being in a position where they could choose between the Easy Eight flag tank and the Firefly, the fastest way of securing a win would be to kill the Easy Eight.
By the way.. does the Panzer team have a match against the Shermans if this is real? That includes the terrain? I thinbk it'll ne sided in favor of the Shermans, right? Unless the Panzer got them 88s.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-21, 11:31   Link #1445
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Correction: The flag tank isn't an Easy Eight, it's an M4A1(76)W, as explicitly mentioned in episode 5.

Images
Darjeeling onee-sama
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-21, 11:51   Link #1446
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
By the way.. does the Panzer team have a match against the Shermans if this is real? That includes the terrain? I thinbk it'll ne sided in favor of the Shermans, right? Unless the Panzer got them 88s.
On a 1 to 1 basis, the Shermans were able to fight III & IVs on even grounds with no significant advantages, but were gradually outgunned by the upgraded IVs, such as the Ausf G, which was armed with a 75mm high-velocity. In my opinion, they were certainly outmatched by 1943. Upgrade to the Shermans was slow and controversial. Bureaucratic intervention also played a role in delaying the deployment of the Pershing, which was allegedly to be sooner than 1945.

The 76mm did not come into mass production until 1944, and even then, it had power that was only comparable to the German 75mm KwK 40.

They were definitely outclassed by the Panther, let alone the Tiger. Still, for every German tank, there were about 5 Shermans. Pretty good odds.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.

Last edited by Tak; 2012-11-21 at 12:16.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-21, 12:22   Link #1447
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Correction: The flag tank isn't an Easy Eight, it's an M4A1(76)W, as explicitly mentioned in episode 5.
That's weird, this Wikipedia page has them as being the same thing... unless Wiki is wrong again

*EDIT: Nevermind, I was being derp. I forgot that the Easy Eight is the M4A3E8/M4A3(76)W. -__-

Quote:
Images
Darjeeling onee-sama
Do WANT.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2012-11-21, 12:26   Link #1448
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
That's weird, this Wikipedia page has them as being the same thing... unless Wiki is wrong again
AFAIK, while you could also apply the term "Easy Eight" to any E8 variant Sherman, the term is more associated with the M4A3E8, as I've hardly seen anywhere else describe the 76mm A1 Shermans as "Easy Eights". Hence the confusion.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2012-11-21, 12:29   Link #1449
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Yeah, you're right, the Easy Eight is the A3E8; Arisa's got the A1E8... ah well, ya know what they say: If you're going to be derp, better do it early and get it outta the way.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2012-11-21, 12:52   Link #1450
4Tran

Quote:
I think its more of delaying tactic or act of desperation.... Anyway, I doubt those tanks would try to sneak without infantry support. They'll be easy target for mines and C4
It's pretty common since uneven combat shows up all the time. If you're on the defensive, you can either retreat or pull back to an ambush position, but if you're on the offensive, you have to either engage or choose an alternate path of advance. Since the latter is not always feasible, a lot of those uneven fights have to be pursued. It was probably most common in 1941, but the Germans had to do it whenever they launched limited offensives in the East during 1944-45 as well.

Quote:
They would have a chance if Ooarai was defending and the Shermans had to attack. The three big AFVs have a chance of penetrating a Sherman from any angle at closer ranges (<500m), and the 38(t) can do so against sides and rears. What they would have to do is perform ambushes, and then consistently withdraw to alternate ambush positions to the rear. The key is to never be spotted for very long, maybe just firing 2-3 shots from any one position. If they had more lighter support units like infantry and AT guns, this scenario would be pretty similar to what the German army had to face in 1944-45 on the Eastern Front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
On a 1 to 1 basis, the Shermans were able to fight III & IVs on even grounds with no significant advantages, but were gradually outgunned by the upgraded IVs, such as the Ausf G, which was armed with a 75mm high-velocity. In my opinion, they were certainly outmatched by 1943. Upgrade to the Shermans was slow and controversial. Bureaucratic intervention also played a role in delaying the deployment of the Pershing, which was allegedly to be sooner than 1945.

The 76mm did not come into mass production until 1944, and even then, it had power that was only comparable to the German 75mm KwK 40.
Regular Shermans are quite a bit better than the best Pz. III, and it's as good as a Pz. IV with a L43 gun. The 76mm versions are about equivalent to the L48 gun, and they'll have better penetration if they use HVAP ammunition. Sure, they're not as good as Panthers and Tigers, but those were relatively rare vehicles that were predominantly deployed on the Eastern Front.
Old 2012-11-21, 14:20   Link #1451
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
This is easily becoming my top show of the season surpassing all other shows I picked up.
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-21, 14:26   Link #1452
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Samples of the tracks from the Miho and Saori Character CD's are available on Amazon. Just scroll down until you can see the track titles, then click on the links beside them to bring up the player.

Miho CD

Saori CD

Old 2012-11-21, 19:09   Link #1453
PzIVf3

Quote:
If the commander studied the map and familiar the terrain, elevation of the hills, routes, trees, soft muddy ground, complicated roads there is a significant advantage to place the tank for better firing and conceal position.

I forgot what exact place location from Normandy, France.

-Just like a squadron of Canadian Sherman tanks knockout to just 3 MkIV.

-A tank of british tank approaching at the top of the ridge blasted by a stug from below hilly position.
PzIVf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-21, 22:26   Link #1454
SatelliteCannon

So I was a little amused (and a bit frustrated) that Steel Panthers won't allow me to make a proper scenario that matches the St. Gloriana and Saunders battles. The reason is that the PzKpfw IV D is no longer available after 1942 for some reason, while both the Churchill Mk VIII and the Sherman Firefly can only be in a 1944 or later battle. I would have to mess with the game's OOB files to make it "historically correct" or make do with the IV F or H variants.

Also: that British armor....

Images
Ooari Campaign Scenario 2 - Scrimmage vs St. Gloriana
SatelliteCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-21, 23:40   Link #1455
Midonin
Last Engage

Girls & Tanks 06 - The Two-Week Long Match and the Two-Second Long Matches

If Kei is the more benevolent kind of American stereotype, then Arisa/Alisa is definitely the flip side of that. A bit one-dimensional in that almost every line out of her was an egotistical rant, but Aya Hirano clearly had a lot of fun playing the role. (And Kei is kind of the spokesman for the team anyway.) The surprising charity that Maho showed at the end hints that I don't think this feud runs as deep as Saki and Teru's. She's obviously not in "I have no sister" mode, what with acknowledging her sister multiple times.

I'm actually sort of looking forward to seeing what happened with Mako. She's normally so deadpan and disinterested that to have something break that is intriguing, but a desperate situation in the family is much more personal and serious than the sport, though I think the show's writers will be able to find a balance such that Mako won't lose her grandmother or her school. I can't see Team the Main Characters advancing with just three people. They need everyone there.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-21, 23:54   Link #1456
Sumeragi
Banned

Images
Shoujo Erwin
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-22, 00:13   Link #1457
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Unrelated, but who the heck has been tagging all the series with Nihonmaru.com? What the heck?
Old 2012-11-22, 01:02   Link #1458
Gravitas Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Unrelated, but who the heck has been tagging all the series with Nihonmaru.com? What the heck?
Really clumsy spam?

Finally saw Episode 6. Enjoyed it all.

The random thought that occurred to me was that the first-year team did a lot better in this match than they did in both the "learn as you go" school match (where they tried to run away and threw a track) and in the friendly match with St. Gloriana (where they bailed out). This time they held up under fire and got in a few shots of their own. But they still got knocked out. I wonder if they're going to be the goat of a running gag of somehow being disabled in every match, or if they'll manage to get better as they go.
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-22, 01:08   Link #1459
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Woohoo!

Ep 6 was great! Even though it ended the way I figured it would it was exciting.
Old 2012-11-22, 01:19   Link #1460
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Really, the Firefly was a tank that the Americans were offered and explicitly refused to accept. Saunders fielding the one is a bit of a stretch, and they could have easily substituted it for another 76mm. But I think the creators found the Firefly too sexy to not include, and we wouldn't have had that bit about how the 17-pounder sounds different from the other guns.

I also don't think the creators are that interested in showing off all the best murder machines. If they were, they sure wouldn't have saddled Ooarai with such a mixed bag of weaker tanks.
Narratively, the script writers can't afford to let the Brits fight on screen again as they already got their own episode in the Friendly. So it is clear they shoehorned in the Firefly for Saunders in order to give it screentime.

The firefly was too powerful for the friendly match when the protagonists were even less skilled than they are now.

Tags
comedy, gup, original anime, slice of life, sports, tanks