AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-01-08, 17:34   Link #41
tempco

Didn't realise how quickly Taiga warmed to Ryuuji, given her relationship with her father. Enjoyed the episode besides that though, especially how Taiga would jump between hot and cold!
Old 2011-01-09, 02:33   Link #42
Haru~
My Lovely Bunny Chie

Joining the RE-Watch. Actually I'm almost at the end last week.
Episode 1 features introduction. I'm going to describe each character the way they are shown in first Episode.
Ryuuji Takasu is a misunderstood person with a good personality and a very organized way of life. He is an average tall guy, with a single mom and poor. He always blame his unfortunate looks to his father(A Yankee) who he thinks is dead. Never had a father all his life → This part is very important in his later behaviors. Best friend with Kitamura and likes Minori Kushieda. And also he doesn't like molds.
Taiga Aisaka is a girl living in a "big mansion" alone. Bad personality, bold mouth and selfish attitude. She looks like a doll and small but with Tiger attitude and terrible→Hence the Palm top Tiger. Have family problems and friends with Minori. She has a crush on Kitamura. She is very clumsy.
Kitamura Yuusaku is best friend of Ryuuji. He is wearing glasses.
Minori Kushieda is best friend of Taiga. Energetic and easy going.
Yasuko→Ryuuji's mom who works at night in a club as Mirano.
Inko→A weird parrot. He can't say his own name.
Oh yeah forgot about the female teacher(Unknown name for now)
This pretty much sums up their descriptions. Now for the important part of the episode
Ryuuji finds an empty love letter from Taiga on his bag→Taiga ambushed him with a kendo→Ryuuji and Taiga knowing each other's crushes. →Ryuuji "agreeing" to be a dog in order to get Taiga out.→ And starts the life of Ryuuji being a maid of Taiga's mansion.
I remember this episode, I kind of disappointed when they have other crushes and pretty much annoyed with the whole slapstick. Rewatching it I kind of understand their behaviors especially Taiga. Very refreshing and enjoyed it.
The whole "father" thing with Ryuuji is very important to note and Taiga's family. Other note is that they have a crush in each other's best friend. What a connection.
Old 2011-01-11, 18:25   Link #43
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Watching this again proved to be a good bit more enjoyable than I expected already , understanding Taiga from later on makes her current actions and state sooo much more understandable xD. Also I feel bad for Ryuji too, seriously the teacher and the student reacts he gets just dam; I didn't remember it quite being so bad, especially the teacher .

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
I loved both EDs and OP2. I did not like the first OP though, never grew on me or anything.
I liked the original OP, but I have to agree the EDs and second OP are better .
MAL
Old 2011-01-12, 13:28   Link #44
JRendell
Manga Addict

Gah! I missed episode one!

I failed at the Macross Rewatch, so I hope I'll manage to keep up this time. Toradora deserves it at least (not that Macross diddn't).
Old 2011-01-12, 13:32   Link #45
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
The Light Novel seems far more sympathetic to Ryuuji's dad. Anyway, I watched the first episode. Brings back memories. Everything about it is just perfect, especially the comedy.
Knowing more about Ryuji's parents helps because of his contrast with Taiga. They contrast each other is so many ways, even their parents and upbringing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
I liked the original OP, but I have to agree the EDs and second OP are better .
The second ED is my favorite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRendell View Post
Gah! I missed episode one!

I failed at the Macross Rewatch, so I hope I'll manage to keep up this time. Toradora deserves it at least (not that Macross diddn't).
You can always catch up, no sweat.
Old 2011-01-12, 20:03   Link #46
Taufiq91

I'm rewatching ep 1 right now.

Wow, takasu Ryuuji looks like every single male Bleach character in one.
Old 2011-01-12, 23:56   Link #47
Rocksta93
Anime Assistant

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taufiq91 View Post
May the best of luck goes to you man

I'm planning to rewatch the Christmas episodes of Toradora on Christmas week alongside other Christmas episode of other animes

Ever since finishing Toradora! last Saturday, i had this beautiful feeling in my heart that i just can't describe. it's neither sad nor happy, and it's neither funny nor depressing.

It's a feeling that i do9Taiga alone in the apartment. I've never felt something so touching in my life. Thank you JC Staff for such a wonderful anime.

And i'm planning to give a DVD of Toradora as a Christmas present to one of my friends
Hey Thats a good idea, i would love to buy it but yea. i also felt the same bout the happyness and the sadness. the funny thing was that i thought he was going to get minorin through the whole story :P
Old 2011-01-13, 00:14   Link #48
JRendell
Manga Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocksta93 View Post
the funny thing was that i thought he was going to get minorin through the whole story :P
Nah. It's obvious who he's gonna end up with right from episode 1.
Old 2011-01-13, 06:29   Link #49
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRendell View Post
Nah. It's obvious who he's gonna end up with right from episode 1.
In rewatching/hindsight it really is, but my initial thoughts during the series til near the end thought either of the three were possible and thought was going to end with Minorin during the middle of the series.
MAL
Old 2011-01-13, 06:34   Link #50
JRendell
Manga Addict

Quote:
In rewatching/hindsight it really is, but my initial thoughts during the series til near the end thought either of the three were possible and thought was going to end with Minorin during the middle of the series.
Really? I guess it may have looked like that, but in the back of my mind I always knew who was for who.
Old 2011-01-13, 15:14   Link #51
demonkevy666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taufiq91 View Post
I'm rewatching ep 1 right now.

Wow, takasu Ryuuji looks like every single male Bleach character in one.
HAHAHAHAH!

so right.
Old 2011-01-13, 15:28   Link #52
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
I think Ami fell behind first but it was Minorin and Taiga for a while, at least for me. But really, right from the beginning you can see just how well Taiga and Ryuji match. We'll see even more examples in the next couple of episodes too.
Old 2011-01-13, 17:09   Link #53
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Finally i can join the Re-watch i just finished re-watching Episode one and i will post my impression, the i will edit the post after reading past commentaries(i think it's a good formula), well here we go.

Episode one is a very interesting start for the series to me, when i first watched it i wasn't know what to expect about this series. I was recently ended Zero no Tsukaima S3 at the time and i was a little tired(Princess no Rondo is a flanderization hell xP). But Toradora starts in very positive light to me, starting with the male main character, Ryuuji Takasu is in a funny situation being a really nice guy but feared by everyone because of his looks, infautuated with a cheeeful(if a bit weird) genki girl and having a good friend able to see past his delinquent appearance his situation only gets funnier when he clash against the female lead, Taiga Aisaka, wich, unlike him, is a REAL tough girl(or so she appears at first) who cement her image by punching him right into the floor, and to the poor guys luck she end up being the best friend of the girl of his dreams Minori Kushieda.

Now by this point things go very similar to Taiga's predecesors(Shana and Louise) except by one thing, the kicker is that unlike past male leads Ryuuji is already in love with a girl, a girl wich isn't a rival of the female lead but her best friend instead. That really alters the dinamics between the characters which i find really refreshing.

Also, as much as people hate her, i find Taiga to be quite a funny character right from Ep. 1, she indeed is violent but she isn't showing "togh love" to Ryuuji because he's nothing more than a nuisance to her at the time(because she's already in love with Ryuuji's best friend Yuusaku Kitamura), i find hilarious how Taiga show such a mix of rudeness and clumsiness(i find funny when she rolls out of the closet and burst off laughing when she cleans her nose with Ryuuji's clothes xD) which made me think that she's rude probably to compensate for said clumsy traits, especially notorious because as fast as Ryuuji explain her things and show some Takasu hospitality to her Taiga calms down rather easily(again, as opposed to her predecesors) and she even apologizes for the problems(something that take Shana at least 4 episodes to accomplish and Louise almost the enterity of Season 1). I feel Taiga as a more "bound to reality character than other kugimiya roles and that's why i remain interested to watch the rest of the series to see how things develop.

I can't decide for my favourite parts but if i need to decide probably can be two:

1.- Ryuuji and Taiga's second encounter at the classroom. It was hilarious and cute, Taiga was so scarred/confused/embarrased that she isn't even able to articulate phrases properly(like she's about to suffer an aneurism xD) and quickly resolves to jump on Ryuuji xDDD!!! and...

2.- The enterity of Taiga's assault to the Takasu home at night. Her attack is foiled by her own clumsy antics because she's totally ashamed, yet she's totally honest about it("i don't wanna die!, that's what i need to kill you!"), and then Ryuuji shows her tha she must have courge ...by showing how pathetic he is at managing his crush on Minorin, Taiua's reaction is very close at how normal girls react when find someone trying to pick on a close firend("do you like Minorin? how pretentious, know your place"), it's true Taiga almost during all of this chapter shows now a violent, spoiled brat she is(she even take Ryuuji's humble attempt to help her as an offering to take him as a lackey xDU) but she also shows what a mess she also is, setting the possibly things she will change over the course fo the series(which, knowed by everyone here since this is a re-watch, she does).

Well, now waiting for Next Week to watch Ep. 2

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
I loved both EDs and OP2. I did not like the first OP though, never grew on me or anything.
Curiously i find all OP's and ED's very enjoyable and i think they match the segment of the series they're covering(specially the OP's).

Pre-Parade is fast, energetic and a bit crazy just like things are going on the first half of the series, then the drama bomb kicks in and Silky Heart take the atmosphere to a bit more serious yet upbringing feeling covering the second half. Also Vanilla Salt talks about love chemistry and how indescisions and mischiefs make a relationship more funny and interesting while Orange take a more direct approach with being honest about your feelings and stuff(again matching perfectly the plot for the first and second half of the series each one).

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~

Last edited by Akiyoshi; 2011-01-13 at 17:21.
Old 2011-01-14, 06:02   Link #54
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
I'll be joining in over the weekend, blokes.

Looking forward to it. XD

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
Old 2011-01-15, 00:32   Link #55
7godeohs

Damn, I actually JUST finished watching the entire series (again). I may join anyway though.

For those who haven't re-watched it ever, there is a lot of small nuances that become more relevant once you re-watch it. I'm on my 5th (6th? - I know, it's scary) re-watch and I am still finding things I hadn't noticed before.

Toradora is a dangerous anime for me. It's the only anime that I am almost afraid to watch one episode of, because I know if I do I will have to watch all of them. Massive time sink - but worth it.

After watching the anime I am really tempted to read the novels (again) but don't think I'll tempt fate (yet).
Old 2011-01-15, 02:49   Link #56
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I still believe to this day that episode 2 is where the real Toradora started. Episode 1 was just an introduction, but it was episode 2 that firmly characterized the basis of Ryuuji and Taiga. That's where I realized Taiga was leagues apart and leagues different from the usual Kugimiya tsundere, and that Ryuuji was far different and more complex than the usual misunderstood nice guy. In that respect, I realized that the series is a far different one than the usual high school RomCom, one that can boast a far greater amount of depth and likability than those before and even after it.

The latter half of the episode was something you usually only see in the end of a run so it surprised me that they'd have it this early, and even more surprising how more stuff like it pops up as the series went on.
Old 2011-01-15, 12:26   Link #57
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

So, when the re-watching of Episode 2 will start?

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Old 2011-01-16, 12:24   Link #58
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Episode 2 - Taiga and Ryuji

Sooooo good. Plenty of humor and drama, it's a perfect blend. Taiga's braids during the basketball sequence were so cute and Minori's extra silliness is great. I loved the testimony scene too, so funny how they all got together to figure out what was going on.

Translation wise, I didn't like they used "squeal" for a "kyah" when Ryuji walked into the classroom, kinda weird and surprising that they would even do that. I also noticed they have both the Japanese and English lyrics for the OP & ED. And I love the white subtitle font, really.

Novel wise, they left some a lot out because time constraints and all. I haven't read farther enough to gauge a pace, so I can't say they did anything wrong. Plus I think they shifted some stuff that would have taken place now to later, but my memory is a little fuzzy in this regard.

Featured Excerpt:

Opening Theme
PRE-PARADE

"Scenes with the five main characters. Taiga is the main heroine, but she doesn't show a smile."

I sure didn't notice that.

Novel Excerpt:

As for this week's novel excerpt, I'm going with a little part in the family restaurant/diner they kept out. Again, I'm not sure if they show this later on, so yeah.
Spoiler for Light Novel - Vol. 1:
Now then... where's my Ami!? Agh, I can't wait!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
I still believe to this day that episode 2 is where the real Toradora started. Episode 1 was just an introduction, but it was episode 2 that firmly characterized the basis of Ryuuji and Taiga. That's where I realized Taiga was leagues apart and leagues different from the usual Kugimiya tsundere, and that Ryuuji was far different and more complex than the usual misunderstood nice guy. In that respect, I realized that the series is a far different one than the usual high school RomCom, one that can boast a far greater amount of depth and likability than those before and even after it.
I was thinking that myself, these are not two run of the mill characters. And this is definitely one of Kugimiya's better roles. Taiga isn't a beat down tsundere all of the time who sole purpose is comedy, she has a nice balance.
Quote:
The latter half of the episode was something you usually only see in the end of a run so it surprised me that they'd have it this early, and even more surprising how more stuff like it pops up as the series went on.
How many times do you have confessions in the second episode, right, haha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiyoshi View Post
So, when the re-watching of Episode 2 will start?
Yesterday. See the schedule in the opening post for more details.
Old 2011-01-16, 17:04   Link #59
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Episode 2.

I've never understood how anyone could see Taiga as an iiritating bitch. I thought it was so blatantly obvious it was all just a facade (that mostly disappeared gradually). You can really see how much Taiga genuinley appreciates Ryuuji. And the comedy is great as always too.
Old 2011-01-17, 11:49   Link #60
wistfulloner

Toradora: Cliche Done Right.

And I thought I was the only outdated fool still sporting a Toradora avatar...
Closed Thread

Tags
re-watch, toradora