Send a message via ICQ to duotiga Send a message via MSN to duotiga
yea a breakthrough finally.....
duotiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-26, 07:53   Link #102
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
And like I said, an oil embargo for that reason still doesn't make sense. It's like saying "I want to learn karate", going into a bar, and starting a fight. Sure, it gives you some more incentive, but it doesn't actually help you learn karate, and gets you beaten up a lot.
Empirical logic states that if that was the case, the space elevators would never get built and the oil necessary, according to you, would never be pumped into the project. But it was completed and the middle east apparently wasn't causing much external problems.

I know the show didn't reveal everything to totally prove exactly how it came to that, but that's how it ended up.

Quote:
They're changing it because oil is running out. How does an embargo factor into that?
Quicker integration? Don't ask me like I'm supposed to know. I'm just as much in the dark as you are about it. But I'm just giving the show the benefit of the doubt instead of ratting it for being unrealistic. Different world situations, that's how I equate it. Like with the national-split in the three blocs, which I disagree vastly, but what's done is done.

Quote:
And an embargo helps matters, how? In fact, it just caused more wars. Well done, the UN.
For one, there probably would be wars if there is an internal struggle for oil as much as it is partially caused by a possible embargo. Then again, if there is such a viable alternative for oil and if it's supposed to be running out, the violence is basically unavoidable.

And again, from the looks of things, there were no World War 3 or any of the sort, apparently, from an oil crisis (let's face it: no oil = crisis).

This may sound harsh, but if the middle east is the sacrificial lamb for world peace, then that could've been what happened to the 00 world. Then again, that may not be too different from the status quo right now as the region was, is, and probably will remain volatile. UN just popping up with an embargo, I doubt would be the only cause. Though I still agree with you overall in that they haven't explained the specificities or the direct reasonings of it. But I won't hold it against the writers to properly explain later.

Quote:
If they had a good, land-based way of producing enough energy to build the space elevators (you know, all that mass to send into space...), they wouldn't have needed them in the first place. At least, not as urgently, and not for energy production.
One thing I can deduce is that they were aiming for more permanent and massive system. That doesn't automatically handcuff the land-based technology.

As for the embargo, what's more confusing is how the nations such as America or China were willing to go ahead with the embargo like that. Then again, the oil crisis really must have happened or these sequence of events wouldn't have occurred.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-26, 08:11   Link #103
D a m i e n
permanentely bored

Send a message via ICQ to D a m i e n
has anyone yet found out the role of the 2 students? i mean plotwise
D a m i e n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-26, 08:24   Link #104
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
Empirical logic states that if that was the case, the space elevators would never get built and the oil necessary, according to you, would never be pumped into the project. But it was completed and the middle east apparently wasn't causing much external problems.
What empirical logic? "We haven't done it yet, so we'll never do it unless we start an embargo on the middle east?"

Besides, from my understanding, the embargo started after the completion of the space elevators. It wouldn't have made sense before - they still needed the rocket fuel.

Quote:
I know the show didn't reveal everything to totally prove exactly how it came to that, but that's how it ended up.
What the show did was add a sentence which we could have done without, that should be of great importance to the history of their middle east, but makes very little sense.

Quote:
Quicker integration?
As I said, an energy penury would only slow them down. There's nothing for them in it.

Quote:
Don't ask me like I'm supposed to know.
You're the one who came up with the answer.

Quote:
I'm just as much in the dark as you are about it. But I'm just giving the show the benefit of the doubt instead of ratting it for being unrealistic. Different world situations, that's how I equate it. Like with the national-split in the three blocs, which I disagree vastly, but what's done is done.
I'm "ratting it" for making no sense, even given the other premisces, which I accept:
- oil penury
- solution in the form of space elevators and solar panels in space
- three power blocks

Quote:
For one, there probably would be wars if there is an internal struggle for oil as much as it is partially caused by a possible embargo. Then again, if there is such a viable alternative for oil and if it's supposed to be running out, the violence is basically unavoidable.

And again, from the looks of things, there were no World War 3 or any of the sort, apparently, from an oil crisis (let's face it: no oil = crisis).

This may sound harsh, but if the middle east is the sacrificial lamb for world peace, then that could've been what happened to the 00 world. Then again, that may not be too different from the status quo right now as the region was, is, and probably will remain volatile. UN just popping up with an embargo, I doubt would be the only cause. Though I still agree with you overall in that they haven't explained the specificities or the direct reasonings of it. But I won't hold it against the writers to properly explain later.
What happened, IMO, is that whatever tensions there was there came to a boil, and nobody cared enough to stop it. Just as nobody in the rich countries today care to stop the conflicts of third world countries which have nothing we want.

An embargo, and the resulting poverty, just made it easier for violence to erupt. But it doesn't explain why they put an embargo in the first place.

Quote:
One thing I can deduce is that they were aiming for more permanent and massive system. That doesn't automatically handcuff the land-based technology.

As for the embargo, what's more confusing is how the nations such as America or China were willing to go ahead with the embargo like that. Then again, the oil crisis really must have happened or these sequence of events wouldn't have occurred.
You don't solve an oil crisis by putting an embargo on oil exporters. It's like solving starvation by going on a diet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D a m i e n View Post
No, but Louise's and her mom's comedy duo is starting to be my favorite part in the show.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-26, 08:39   Link #105
D a m i e n
permanentely bored

Quote:
No, but Louise's and her mom's comedy duo is starting to be my favorite part in the show.
doh she has a mother, i though she was living on her own like every other teenage anime character?
i stoped watching around episode 8 or 9 anyway before her mother appeared has anything noteworthy happen to make the show viewable again?

Glad Macross Frontier started i hope the new macross will be good and be a valid substitute for mecha stuff.
Old 2007-12-26, 08:46   Link #106
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

She lives alone. Her mother came to bring her home and/or steal her boyfriend.
Old 2007-12-26, 08:56   Link #107
D a m i e n
permanentely bored

you mean there is going to be student milf action ala american pie? might be worth watching again just for the kicks.
Old 2007-12-26, 09:34   Link #108
flarezard

Quote:
I don't know, but I think I'll just wait and see.

There's no need to be so rush.
flarezard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-26, 10:04   Link #109
SonicX_Zero
Kill Kira

Quote:
She lives alone. Her mother came to bring her home and/or steal her boyfriend.
and the plot thickens.... =O Who will Saji end up with? Mommy? Louise? or Setsuna?
SonicX_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-26, 10:07   Link #110
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicX_Zero View Post
and the plot thickens.... =O Who will Saji end up with? Mommy? Louise? or Setsuna?
He shouldn't have time for love, he delivers pizza's.
Old 2007-12-26, 10:38   Link #111
Tangerine

Quote:
you mean there is going to be student milf action ala american pie? might be worth watching again just for the kicks.
Louise->french
Havely->jewish
ep 5->elevator, Louise is Jamaican (but mom is from Spain...)
ep 5->Louise have an secret.

Louise and her mother have relation with CB, is obvious.
Tangerine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-26, 10:59   Link #112
D a m i e n
permanentely bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangerine View Post
Louise->french
Havely->jewish
ep 5->elevator, Louise is Jamaican (but mom is from Spain...)
ep 5->Louise have an secret.

Louise and her mother have relation with CB, is obvious.
i m confused
Old 2007-12-26, 11:10   Link #113
Terra

Trying to get ethnicity from a name is stupid. My first name is French, but I'm English with absolutely no French whatsoever in me. A lot of European names have mixed together and are used quite widespreadly amounst them.

Anyway, if any of those 2 is going to have connections to CB I feel Saji and Kinue have a better chance since we don't know what their parents did for a living, or how they died. The fact they've been a bit vague about it makes me wonder.
Old 2007-12-26, 11:36   Link #114
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
He shouldn't have time for love, he delivers pizza's.
According to a certain genre in fiction, that means he's going to end up with Louise, her mom, and their dog. OK, maybe not the dog, but definitely the neighbour.
Old 2007-12-26, 15:09   Link #115
mikyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningZERO View Post
Gundam 00 ep 12 ratings

Video Research Ltd. has Gundam 00 at #9 with a 5.7%, the highest ratings the show has received so far.

From gunota

Oh yeah!
does someone have the raitings for epi 1-8 ?
someone posted something like that with raitings of GS, GSD, terra e, blood+ and so on as a comparison.
mikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-26, 16:32   Link #116
edf91

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikyu View Post
someone posted something like that with raitings of GS, GSD, terra e, blood+ and so on as a comparison.
It's around 5% or below for the most part - think someone always posted them in each episode's thread. Someone even posted the numbers for Blood+ and Seed (not individual numbers, but overall numbers). Try doing a search - should be here somewhere.
edf91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-26, 19:45   Link #117
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikyu View Post
I posted a Eps 1-11 comparison here.
Old 2007-12-26, 21:27   Link #118
KJlost

Quote:
What empirical logic? "We haven't done it yet, so we'll never do it unless we start an embargo on the middle east?"

Besides, from my understanding, the embargo started after the completion of the space elevators. It wouldn't have made sense before - they still needed the rocket fuel.

What the show did was add a sentence which we could have done without, that should be of great importance to the history of their middle east, but makes very little sense.

As I said, an energy penury would only slow them down. There's nothing for them in it.

You're the one who came up with the answer.

I'm "ratting it" for making no sense, even given the other premisces, which I accept:
- oil penury
- solution in the form of space elevators and solar panels in space
- three power blocks

What happened, IMO, is that whatever tensions there was there came to a boil, and nobody cared enough to stop it. Just as nobody in the rich countries today care to stop the conflicts of third world countries which have nothing we want.

An embargo, and the resulting poverty, just made it easier for violence to erupt. But it doesn't explain why they put an embargo in the first place.

You don't solve an oil crisis by putting an embargo on oil exporters. It's like solving starvation by going on a diet.

I don't think rocket fuel has anything to do with fossil fuels. It' almost completely synthetic for purity and power if I understand it correctly.

The embargo might have been as simple as a check maneuver to quieten discontent from Middle East about the elevators.
KJlost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-26, 22:12   Link #119
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
You mean focus the anger on something else?
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-26, 23:33   Link #120
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Yeah I'm kinda late this week because of the holidays, but here we go....

Just another excellently woven episode that hit on so many aspects of story and battle that I'm stunned that 24 minutes could house such diversity...So when I clicked play I'm thinking we're gonna get a pretty laid-back Setsuna exposition episode but boy was I surprised to find out not only do we indeed get some Setsuna background but as the meat to the bookends of this Setsuna sandwich was a very unexpected and very visually delightful engagment...

GRAHAM ACRE

Like that hospital drip that keeps patients one step away from meeting hell-kittens, a little bit of Graham goes a looooooooong way...That small skirmish between Custom Flag and Dynames just gave us a meaningful drip-drop of what the action will be like once we move into the next level (which next episode also indicates)...But that aside, Graham Acre is by far the purest character in this story to this point...He is really what Gundam is all about to me...When he fights, his character fights, his will fights, and his passion explodes in a way no other character can compare...When he dodged that first LOCKed-ON blast only to lunge himself into a stifling G-force just to introduce himself to the new Gundam I was in awe...The sweat swirling in his face-plate, his composure 70%-30%--right there is what Gundam is to me...Easily my favorite scene (and battle) in this entire series...What do you call that?? You damn right, you just got served a Graham special!! Peep the FLAG's body movements and mannerisms...Setsuna wants to know what it's like to be the Gundam, then get some Graham file-footage...Lolickon in the seemingly superior suit is no match for Graham's skills, nor in the same universe as his passion and will to win...Only slightly above his natural excitement for embracing challenges is his loyalty to his comrades and mission...I could go on for days, but so much more made this ep rock...

This ep had so many things going on and all of the pacing felt quick but productive in all areas (Nothing was rushed or felt totally disjointed besides the Sanji parts--Which were funny with the "Mommy 3-some" ^^)...Good tangible backstory on Marina and Setsuna...Nice little scene with Setsuna visiting the area and meeting that kid....We get to see the ruff and tattered ares of Azidistan and really soak in the culture and grit of this area that's so close to what's happening in todays' times...The screaming protesters echoing a familiar sound heard within thumb-flicks of your remote control and plasma TV...And because of a two-bit conman with pretty damn good piloting skills this area will once again fall into chaos...

Ali's little plan is quite $hitty to say the least, but you can't say the man doesn't commit...He's no final boss that's for sure (With the pedestrian nature of his character), but he shall serve as a respectable mid-boss and I hope he gets Setsuna's 7th blade right thru his iron-clad heart next episode...I would definitely prefer a Custom Flag vs. Exia take2 but it seems as if the preview indicates a Shinn-Neo kind of moment between the two pilots and if they combine forces Ali will be feeding the devil's kittens in no time...

I will surely expound on more points about this ep if engaged in conversation, but for now like those kittens' lives I'll give it a 9...and I DARE TO SAY IT, LET ME INTRODUCE MYSELF: I'M GRAHAM ACRE!!! *dodges E-penis after E-penis*

Well I can dream can't I ;p...