AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-03-28, 00:42   Link #1
Nervous Venus

Sukimasuki

Wonder if anybody's reading this? It's by the author of Usagi Drops.

Synopsis: Through his hobby, which is exploring (peeping?) through the spaces in-between, Heisaku-kun ends up falling in love with his neighbor, Fumio-chan. However, it turns out that Fumio-chan has also been spying on Heisaku-kun all this time. Will this uncontrollable pair’s hidden love ever be realized?

It's being scanlated by Stiletto Heels.

Last edited by Nervous Venus; 2010-03-28 at 11:21. Reason: Additional info.
Old 2010-03-28, 01:28   Link #2
KLGChaos
The Shermain

I was enjoying this until the latest chapter when it went into Yuri territory.
Old 2010-03-28, 01:54   Link #3
Nervous Venus

Last chapter (Ch. 9) actually just came out today, and expands a bit more about the relationship between Hana and Fumio reasonably well without feeling like a total cop-out. It isn't a yuri comic, though, so that's probably as much yuri-action you'll get.
Old 2010-03-28, 02:15   Link #4
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
It goes into Yuiri territory? Dropped. Can't stand Yuri or Yaoi.

I was enjoying this manga but anything Yuri close kills manga for me.
Old 2010-03-28, 02:53   Link #5
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Not exactly sure if it's straight out Yuri, but it's definitely implied. That one girl tried to grope/kiss Fumio in her sleep and Fumio mentions something about how the girl soft and her fingers make her "feel good". Sounds like some Yuri action to me, which just isn't my thing. :/
Old 2010-03-28, 03:01   Link #6
Darknemo2000

Neither is mine. This manga looked good up till chapter 7 but since chapter 7 it went down to dust. The worst part that with so little chapters left they started to focus on some Yuri crap instead of the main pairing who do not even have had a good relationship build up at all (most is based on watching each other but no real interaction between the two). It makes it a disappointment because I doubt a last 20 pages chapter will suddenly develop their relationship much.

Very bid disappointment and disgusting (ch 8, I just read). Well its seinen so I guess I should have expected crap like this, nonetheless a big disappointment because if you like romance there is none really simply because main characters just do not interact much. The closest of skinship you'll get is not something between the main (there was that quick chastity surprise kiss in ch 9) pair but just those disgusting yuri (with tongue action) kisses.
Old 2010-03-28, 03:14   Link #7
Nervous Venus

Dude, if you've thoroughly read Ch.9, you'd know it wasn't a "quick chastity surprise kiss". Comments like this make me wonder if you've really read it or not, or you're just flipping out because of a little girl-on-girl scene that only went on for 3 pages out of over 100 pages. Anyway, Hana-chan says herself that she shouldn't be the one to hold on the keys to Fumio's apartment, implying that they belonged to someone else (read: Heisaku?). Fumio says it straight out that she loves Hana as a friend, and the only reason why she lets her get cozy is because she's afraid to push someone she cares about away. This only after she invites him up to her apartment, where she's changing in a room full of pictures she took of the guy.
Old 2010-03-28, 03:17   Link #8
KLGChaos
The Shermain

I haven't been able to read chapter 9 yet because I'm at work. I'm surprised there's only one chapter left after this. Doesn't seem like there's much time to develop a relationship between the two main characters.
Old 2010-03-28, 03:18   Link #9
Darknemo2000

It was a chastity surprise kiss - there was no tongue involved and Fumio was not really returning it and was taken by surprise. And nothing else said/shown regarding it. It makes me wonder if you read it yourself. Fumio just said - I was kissed a lot today while he about digging his own grave.

So what if the girl doesn't return the feeling. The scene already happened and it leaves a bitter taste for this whole manga. Specially when the main pair interact so little (and I do not buy the 'depth' they feel to each other as well considering that their first two talks were anything but deep).

Last edited by Darknemo2000; 2010-03-28 at 03:34.
Old 2010-03-28, 03:48   Link #10
Nervous Venus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
I haven't been able to read chapter 9 yet because I'm at work. I'm surprised there's only one chapter left after this. Doesn't seem like there's much time to develop a relationship between the two main characters.
Well, with one chapter left, I'm guessing it'll be more about exposing their secrets (or forever allowing them to continue this semi-neurotic hobby) rather than building on the relationship. The manga started with them spying on each other from afar without having any knowledge of the other person spying on them, to them meeting up outside of their homes, to Ch. 9 where Heisaku finally
Spoiler:
But then turtling again and running off because he's such a turtle!

I'm smelling a confrontation somewhere up the path, for better or worse.
Old 2010-03-28, 09:05   Link #11
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Read the chapter and it was pretty good. Will be interesting to see how it wraps up.

One thing that gets me, though, is the fact that Hana "despises men". It seems that every time I read a manga where there's a lesbian in it, they're all man-haters. Is there some unwritten manga rule that says lesbians can't be friends with guys and they have to hate them or something? I'm friends with a few in real life and they have no problems with guys. :P
Old 2010-03-29, 17:48   Link #12
Nervous Venus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos
Is there some unwritten manga rule that says lesbians can't be friends with guys and they have to hate them or something?
I'm not sure about the other mangas, but in Sukimasuki's case, I honestly think it would have made a world of difference (and not in a good way) if she wasn't a vicious man-hating lesbian. I find Hana more amusing than threatening though. Oddly enough, I like all the characters in the story. They're just so unique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000
So what if the girl doesn't return the feeling. The scene already happened and it leaves a bitter taste for this whole manga.
Heisaku's the one I'm rooting for, and I'm not a fan of yuri/yaoi, but this manga isn't yuri and that scene and the one after worked in three ways: It showed me what a really sweet person Fumio really is; that Fumio has romantic feelings for Heisaku that go a little more in-depth than I had assumed; and in a way, it cornered her into inviting Heisaku into her apartment. (Finally!)

Quote:
I do not buy the 'depth' they feel to each other as well considering that their first two talks were anything but deep
You mean in Ch. 9 when Heisaku said they've had deep conversations? Heisaku's a simple guy, and when he talks about "deep conversations", I doubt it'd be our general idea of "deep", considering he has a hard time understanding some really basic things. I just took his words with a grain of salt, and, well, at least they're past the hi/bye stuff. They were talking about more personal things throughout the latest chapters.

I think the whole story so far has been more about them hiding their true colors from one another. Fumio doesn't seem as conflicted (and I feel partly because she knows he's lied to her), but Heisaku is really beating himself up for it because he knows it's wrong but can't seem to stop. It's all about honesty (or lack thereof) more than exploring the romantic depth of their feelings. Though I do believe that there is some depth. They may not be spending time with each other physically, but they know the person outside of the facade of meeting out in public.

And who would have thunk they could do all that from their bedroom window???

Like Heisaku sees what a clumsy person she is, and she knows how goofy he can be (and has a million photos to prove it, haha).

Last edited by Nervous Venus; 2010-03-29 at 18:00.
Old 2010-04-01, 21:14   Link #13
Somnus
Eh?

Am I the only one that feels like he's missing something in the end?
Old 2010-04-01, 21:54   Link #14
aliasxn
Eye for an Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnus View Post
Am I the only one that feels like he's missing something in the end?
I agree. It's like we are missing a chapter or something...
Old 2010-04-01, 22:04   Link #15
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Yeah, it suddenly cut off abruptly and felt like it needed a few more pages to finish up.
Old 2010-04-02, 00:01   Link #16
Darknemo2000

Juts like expected - a disappointing ending. If you do one volume story romance you have to focus on main characters (the main couple) interactions more - but because other characters interactions get more light than the main couple it feels incomplete and abrupt.
Old 2010-04-05, 11:35   Link #17
Nervous Venus

I liked the way someone had pointed out that the comic is really the definition of a "slice of life", literally. It feels almost like we're also peeking through the gaps of somewhere at Heisaku and Fumio and the other characters in the story. That's not to say the ending wasn't abrupt because it was, but I'm glad it gave me a glimmer of hope for their relationship to continue once she returns from abroad.

I was hoping Yumi-sensei could have expanded more during the last scene and conversation between Heisaku and Fumio.

@Darknemo2000: I think this story is less about the romance than the voyeurism. Though they're not really voyeurs either... they're so difficult to pinpoint and define. If you go into the story expecting a oneshot tanko about romance, you've pretty much got more of something else than you've bargained for, and less of what you really want.