Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-10-29, 19:06   Link #261
turok
[TTZ] Moderate Encoder
*Fansubber

Location: In the Turokzone. Next door are heaven, hell, and 4chan.org (purgatory)
I like both yuri and yaoi so as long as there is a good story or cuteness to it. normally for me Yuri >Yaoi although if traps become involved then its a tie.
Old 2010-10-29, 19:47   Link #262
Abashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku Emperor View Post
Only a Sith deals with Absolutes.
I'm a very dark side person. I like to mentally move objects as a form of combat and form demonic creations.
Old 2010-10-30, 01:54   Link #263
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
In my country, not a single YURI or YAOI anime have been shown on television, its probably because of the Moral issue involve.
Old 2010-10-30, 02:05   Link #264
Abashi

This highlights one reason there is no acceptance for yuri among anime fans here:

If you been to California, you know that there are a lot of people that would be offended by that, and you'll know the double standard behind it also. Around here, anime people look at is limited to what is put on television and yaoi. There is nobody in this state besides me that explores anime outside those two categories. People here have a tendency to think that people should not discuss their unpopular interests on the internet and only focus on what is socially acceptable and fashionable to our society. However, almost everywhere else, people like to use the internet for creative purposes and to talk about subjects that aren't of interest to the mainstream populace. California culture has an obsession with not offending the mainstream populace, while elsewhere this isn't such an absolute limitation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by genjichan View Post
In my country, not a single YURI or YAOI anime have been shown on television, its probably because of the Moral issue involve.
They used to show it on Anime on Demand with Cox, but i don't think they do that anymore. It has been tried, but nobody here can accept it really. America and California are different cultures, and in America its okay to have unusual interests in private and among those whom you know, but in California there is no acceptance for that, besides are few accepted and tolerated groups (such as misogynists). In America, people accept you as you are if you are different and unusual, in California there isn't such a thing and it is not acceptable to be different from everybody else. California also has very extreme gender roles which are universal and incapable of getting around, while in America equality is embraced and perspectives about sex are more mixed and tolerant.

Last edited by Abashi; 2010-10-30 at 02:17.
Old 2010-10-30, 03:32   Link #265
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abashi View Post
This highlights one reason there is no acceptance for yuri among anime fans here:

Beautiful picture, what is the source of it? ( I hope the next screen will be "slap slap kiss")

But back to the topic, i don't get it, is it because of the dramatic "forbidden relationship" in yuri anime or something?

I don't know and i doubt if anyone around here(my street/ university) like yuri the way i do. Of course i keep the sharing of my habit strictly online so do not worry much about general opinion from people around me. Basically try my best to adapt.
Old 2010-10-30, 03:38   Link #266
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by genjichan View Post
In France, back in the 1990s, Onii-sama e had been aired and it raised a controversy that worsened to the point that the one who had brought it on french TV network HAD TO APOLOGIZE IN PUBLIC on the french tv news.

In hindsight, there was more to that controversy than plain homophobia. There was also the rampant japanophobia of the more reactionary part of the parents in France (think real life french Marge Simpson (plural)) who clinged onto the cliche of the innocent france of the Third Republic, or beginning of the Fifth Republic, and the ideals of cartoons = kiddy stuff.

Today, displays of homosexuality are more acceptable and anime are fully accepted as part of the culture of the french youth.
But will the broadcasters show yuri and yaoi anime on TV? NO
Why? Because this is NOT what they (the mainstream anime fan) want to watch. As much as it sucks for the yaoi and yuri fans, the mainstream fans would rather see Naruto, Bleach and One Piece on TV when they come back home from school.

Like it or not but yaoi and yuri ARE niche. Homophobia have NOTHING to do with it. Guys airing anime on TV want to cater to the majority (Bleach, Naruto and One Piece) and not a minority (yaoi, yuri fans).

It sucks for you guys but the sooner you come in terms with it, the easier you will take it.

Now try to port what is happening in France to USA in despite of the huge difference in expectations and tastes (stuff like why mecha does better in USA than France, etc).

Why would the yaoi and yuri anime do poorly on TV? Because they cannot compete in rating against Naruto, Bleach and One Piece.

And what do the guys airing anime on TV want? Ratings.

Yuri and yaoi does not cater to the tastes of the mainstream american anime fan! Naruto, Bleach and One Piece does. There is nothing about rampant homophobia here.
Old 2010-10-30, 03:46   Link #267
Abashi

I hate how feminists on the west coast (at least California) will mislabel me as misogynist, yet they are the ones who tolerate misogyny. I like softer nurturing physically affectionate girls (like in yuri), and that makes me a misogynist? And i know that what the views of women here are wrong because i have met those both in real life and mostly on the internet enough of them to know that the characteristics of the female gender here do not even come close to representing women and girls across the world.

Oh, back on topic, more images:

Last edited by Abashi; 2010-10-30 at 04:05.
Old 2010-10-30, 04:19   Link #268
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
I don't know and i doubt if anyone around here(my street/ university) like yuri the way i do. Of course i keep the sharing of my habit strictly online so do not worry much about general opinion from people around me. Basically try my best to adapt.
I actually know my anime club's secretary[girl] and president[guy] do like yuri, since I found they were responsible for Aoi Hana and Sasameki Koto showing up on our list to vote on, I fortunately found out without asking after secretary had said she was disappointed that one of them didn't make the vote one meeting earlier this year , and I know of two other girls that like yuri in the group and one guy I believe if I recall right.
MAL
Old 2010-10-30, 04:28   Link #269
Abashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
I actually know my anime club's secretary[girl] and president[guy] do like yuri, since I found they were responsible for Aoi Hana and Sasameki Koto showing up on our list to vote on, I fortunately found out without asking after secretary had said she was disappointed that one of them didn't make the vote one meeting earlier this year , and I know of two other girls that like yuri in the group and one guy I believe if I recall right.
I wished i lived in Florida.

Only mainstream (US) anime and yaoi are accepted among anime clubs here. There isn't a single club that likes yuri in this entire freaking state! I just fucking hate California! Its so closed minded with its obsession with being a stereotype, that i can't have any friends (especially girlfriends) around here.

Can anybody on here hook up with me on Facebook and help me out of the state? California is an extremely ignorant society where everybody thinks the same about gender roles, where differing views about fashion do not exist. It has the worst gender roles and values in the world and i rather live anywhere in America but here!

Last edited by Abashi; 2010-10-30 at 05:53.
Old 2010-10-30, 08:18   Link #270
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

I always think that real life is overrated anyway, 2D ftw an online community should be enough for me to discuss out my hobby (in gaming, sport, history, anime and yuri for more specifically). I have to admit that, sometime i really have the urge to show such and such anime to my (older) brother through...

Anyway back to the topic, i always wonder how did everyone start to interest in yuri (or yaoi)? Because mine was a long road. Started with Kashimashi which i didn't acknowledge at first, and end with pretty much everything that have lily emblem on top (abstract concept btw)

Just like anime and manga, i like my yuri to have beautiful development/ending and minus those nonsense "realism" (which should not be real in 1st place). In another word, to me platonic love should be the core for yuri relationship. The funny thing is many of the yuri fan may find it offensive that i don't acknowledge the more realistic side of lesbianism (and it's more complex than just sex). Mind you that, i don't like the heterosexual main character in normal anime act like an ass as well (even when guys most likely will do so "in real life").

Last edited by risingstar3110; 2010-10-30 at 08:30.
Old 2010-10-30, 14:12   Link #271
Abashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
Anime clubs here would ban someone for talking about that kind of anime on their forums. There isn't a single anime club that has acceptance for yuri, or even anything other than shounen and yaoi. I tried making a club that would have acceptance for yuri and other kinds of anime that don't have acceptance at California anime clubs, and nobody would participate in it.

Can somebody take me to an anime club in another state? (i can't drive).
Old 2010-10-30, 15:37   Link #272
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Anime clubs here would ban someone for talking about that kind of anime on their forums. There isn't a single anime club that has acceptance for yuri, or even anything other than shounen and yaoi. I tried making a club that would have acceptance for yuri and other kinds of anime that don't have acceptance at California anime clubs, and nobody would participate in it.

Can somebody take me to an anime club in another state? (i can't drive).
I would help... But I cant drive as of yet (just getting driver's permit)

My anime club is sorta biased on both Yaoi and Yuri, its basically just a quarrel between the two fans of each. But its a fun experience to have atleast Yaoi vs Yuri fans... California would have just creeped me out Yaoi only is not a good thing... Even if its good to other people, it would be better if some people liked Yuri. Not much of a Yaoi fan here, so I joined the Yuri side of my anime club, which I joined only.... 10 days ago.
Old 2010-10-30, 16:17   Link #273
Mairsile
Athletic girls are sugoi!

I've only watched one Yaoi series, and it was inadvertent since I did not know what it was about. As a straight male, I can honestly say girl-on-girl action does nothing for me. Regarding Yaoi, from what I've been told, most of it is directed towards the female audience and feature extremely effeminate males (uke). Perhaps that's because some girls can identify with those kind of guys.
Old 2010-10-30, 17:34   Link #274
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
I like softer nurturing physically affectionate girls (like in yuri), and that makes me a misogynist?
This is very much an aside, but I think you succinctly sum up much of the popularity behind both moe, and yuri.

I think that some people long for that softer sort of lovey-dovey romance, but it's far from what is seen as "cool" in North America right now, in part because it is easy to confuse it with genuine misogyny (the difference, imo, is that the person sincerely looking for a softer, nurturing, affectionate relationship desires to give that to their partner as well as receive that, while genuine misogynists simply want to take that while being dominant over a submissive partner).
Old 2010-10-30, 19:12   Link #275
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

No offense to all posters at this thread but I wonder how and why this silly thread just keep on living in this forums while most of the other forums that I went no longer discuss this issue anymore.

One more thing. Real gays and lesbians are never hate each other but fans of both did.
Old 2010-10-30, 20:58   Link #276
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

As for me, I don't specifically go looking for yuri or yaoi but if the storyline is good (meaning it isn't focused on "OMIGOD!!! LOOK!!! girl-girl or guy-guy!!!" but rather is a *story* firstly), it wouldn't especially bother me. I don't view it as a "versus" at all... just one of many possible elements in a story.
Old 2010-10-31, 00:11   Link #277
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameruka View Post
One more thing. Real gays and lesbians are never hate each other but fans of both did.
Yes, that's something I have noticed, having gay friends who also happen to have lesbians and bisexuals as acquaintances. Also the title of the topic really does not help.

@ Abashi:

You need to stop with the whole persecution complex already. I don't know about others who read you, but my patience with it is wearing thin.
Old 2010-10-31, 03:19   Link #278
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
There was one anime that like... Its the ending that l "only" like... Simoun..\

Morinas decides to remain a female..... Wapōrif would have regretted if he choose to be become a female then meets up with Morinas.....CRISIS!!!!... or else they wouldn't have any child of their own...
Old 2010-10-31, 13:22   Link #279
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Considering the original poster made ONE post (this thread starter) and then never participated in it (in fact never posted again anywhere), and considering the misleading title, and considering the derailing ... I'm proposing locking it and perhaps someone with more clues could start a discussion thread that is better defined?
Old 2010-10-31, 16:06   Link #280
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I'm proposing locking ...
Quote:
Considering the original poster made ONE post (this thread starter) and then never participated in it (in fact never posted again anywhere)
That only really demonstrates the obvious: the owner of the account never really participated. It doesn't mean the topic is necessarily bad or unworthy, given the community embraced it and did something with it regardless of the original poster.
Quote:
and considering the misleading title
That is a bigger drawback, but could be fixed with rename.
Quote:
and considering the derailing ...
That is something we should have handled by moderating some of the posts differently.

Never-the-less, I'm actually going to action your proposal and close the thread. I think the topic has run its course. If anyone disagrees they are welcome to PM me and say so. If you think you can come up with a better topic that will produce new and interesting discussion around the wider subject of LGBT elements in anime, knock yourselves out.
Closed Thread

Tags
yaoi, yuri