AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-06-08, 13:30   Link #21
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Cursing? Depends on where I'm talking. If I'm at college with my close friends we communicate through curses,
Yo, same for me here.

It gets seriously bad in certain places, like our local arcade where swearing/cursing is pretty much the native tongue.

I make a triple effort to not say them in front of girls, of course.
Old 2009-06-08, 13:34   Link #22
Kakashi
カカシ

Send a message via MSN to Kakashi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I'd like to not swear at all (at least the coarse words) because I feel like that's my brain failing to provide a more elegant solution in the heat of the moment.
I think swearing works well when used cleverly in a joke to add emphasis or something, there's a certain art to that, otherwise it just shows the person is either a very angry individual or has made it a habit through gratuitous use. Neither of the aforementioned are good...however, for jokes, swear words can work like a charm.
Kakashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 13:34   Link #23
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Do you hear people saying "dammit to the seven hells" or something along those lines? I overheard some tourists on the train today and I wonder what religion that came from o_0
Hmmm, Dante painted nine levels of hell.... oh, there's a game called Devil may Cry that invokes a "seven hells" (one for each of the Christian Seven Deadly Sins). Some googling doesn't provide any direct literary references but its used a lot in metal rock and such...

edit: ah here we go - ancient Mesopotamian mythology (very very pre-christian, interesting):

Quote:
In a cycle of Sumerian and Akkadian poems, the god-king Gilgamesh, despairing over the death of his companion Enkidu, travels to the world’s end, crosses the ocean of death, and endures great trials only to learn that mortality is an incurable condition. Hell, according to the Gilgamesh epic, is a house of darkness where the dead “drink dirt and eat stone.” More details of this grim realm emerge in the poems about the Sumerian shepherd and fertility god Tammuz (Akkadian: Dumuzi) and his consort Inanna (Akkadian: Ishtar), who in her various aspects is the mistress of date clusters and granaries, the patroness of prostitutes and alehouses, a goddess associated with the planet Venus and spring thunderstorms, and a deity of fertility, sexual love, and war. Inanna is also the sister of Ereshkigal, queen of the dead. An impulsive goddess, Inanna, according to some versions of the myth, is said to have threatened, in a fit of pique, to crush the gates of hell and let the dead overrun the earth. In the poem Descent of Inanna, she sets forth to visit Ereshkigal’s kingdom in splendid dress, only to be compelled, at each of the seven gates, to shed a piece of her regalia. Finally, Inanna falls naked and powerless before Ereshkigal, who hangs her up like so much meat upon a drying hook. Drought descends upon the earth as a result, but the gods help revive Inanna, who escapes by offering her husband as a replacement. This ransom secures the fecundity of the earth and the integrity of the grain stores by reinforcing the boundary between hell and earth. It is the better part of wisdom, the tradition suggests, for mortals to make the most of earthly life before they are carried off into death’s long exile.
I had a short period of trying to use Norse curses and oaths in my early twenties... but it always just sounded awkward. Wishing Cthulhu and his brethren, the Old Ones, or the Elder Gods on people at least sounds a little bizarre.

Last edited by Vexx; 2009-06-08 at 16:48.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 13:42   Link #24
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

You might want to come down to SEA to learn swear words that are like an MG on an infinite belt of ammo.

Start with one, and an insult exchange will be an infinite slew of <insert every member of the family tree> related expletives that would put 50 Cent to shame. I often try to limit myself before I go out of hand and get beaten up, but for some reason, when it starts, I have trouble stopping.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 14:54   Link #25
Mooglar

Send a message via AIM to Mooglar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamada View Post
just cursing like a sailor. :
Are you trying to stereotype sailors? cause i'm a sailor and i def don't swear at all =D
Mooglar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 15:15   Link #26
Raiga
tl;dr

If I drop something or hurt myself I'll probably swear, and if I'm really surprised or feel something deserves extra emphasis, I'll probably use strong language, and I curse a heckuva lot when I'm angry, but I try not to be one of those people who feel a sentence is incomplete without an f-bomb dropped every other word.

For me, they're just words, and like all words there's a time and a place to use them. I don't have any problem controlling myself when I'm in a situation where I shouldn't swear, a formal event or around kids or something of the sort. I swear when there's a reason for me to swear, and not just to fill up the space between words.
Old 2009-06-08, 15:42   Link #27
klowny
OH NO

I don't mind being cursed at because i like to curse to emphasize something
klowny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 15:43   Link #28
Nightbat®
Deadpan Snarker

With half of my family having it's roots in a port city, the other from the country, cursing is second nature

though I do keep serious diseases out of them

as for swearing on forums: if there's a wordfilter, I'll go all out, if there's not I prefer to use "bloody" and "damn/ed"
I consider "ass" fair game, but use "crap" instead it's other word

But using the excuse "think about the children" is useless, I'm almost 32, I have hardly learned any new cursewords
the past 20 years
Old 2009-06-08, 15:59   Link #29
Shadow Kira01

I don't like it, plain simple.
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 16:24   Link #30
LeoXiao
思想工作

I'm generally okay with some swearing as long as my family isn't around, for instance at school if my friend asks me how my test went, I might say "My grade is going to be sh*tty now," or "I'm probably f*cked." I don't swear if there isn't something that's actually frustrating going on, and I think that it lessens the impact of the words if overused.
Outside of school, I only swear among my friends, and sometimes my dad will say sh*t or damn, but it won't be emphasized. My mother, though her knowledge of English is extensive, virtually never swears, and most of the time she speaks Chinese with me anyway. The only time I know of my mom swearing was when she was in a really hellish argument with my older brother (who was kinda a dick in some ways then), and she responded in kind when my brother dropped the F-bomb a few times. I can say that it came as a great shock to me, and I didn't get over it for a couple days.
Some words, most notably F*ck, I never say it by itself, because there's almost never any reason to. The only times I ever do it is when something really dangerous happens really fast, like when my bike slipped in the middle of the street on the way to school once. In that case it's really more of an indication of fear than anything else.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 16:34   Link #31
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The first curse word my first child ever uttered was when he was three years old. He was riding with his mother (shotgun in the "carseat of protection +5") when the garbage truck in front of them lost a load of garbage cans.

When my son saw the cans go airborne towards them, he grabbed his seatbar and yelled "Shit!!!!!" at the top of his lungs.
Usually my wife goes into a volley of oaths in such situations, but she was swerving and braking through the obstacles, too busy to say a word.

My later joke to her was "you must have been so proud... "

Interestingly, a couple of years later, he and I were headed home late at night in a rainstorm when we were broadsided by an RV running a red light. A few 360s and curb hops later - his only words were "Did we just get hit?" I said, "Yes, and I should pull off the road before we get hit again" (the Z car was totaled but was good for about 20 more feet - fortunately for my son the impact was mostly near the front wheel rather than the passenger door).

Last edited by Vexx; 2009-06-08 at 16:46.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 16:41   Link #32
Yamada
Minori Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooglar View Post
Are you trying to stereotype sailors? cause i'm a sailor and i def don't swear at all =D
Haha, oh no, just using the age old idiom. In my experiences, those sailors which I have met have been quite polite in fact. Perhaps times have changed.
Yamada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 17:29   Link #33
Kylaran
A Priori Impossibility

What's funny is, I've never honestly angrily used harsh curse words in the creative, violent way I do when I'm bantering with my buds. I mean, we exchange curse words like we do music (which is quite a lot, actually). But rarely do I ever find myself angry enough to resort to cursing to carry across my anger.
Kylaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 18:40   Link #34
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Swearing huh?
As for this forum, am I the only one who has seen some extremes dotted around the GC forums?
It happens on occasion during the large debates. Methinks though because a majority of curse words would be seen via flaming or baiting and that sorta thing is instantly knocked down by the Xris Hammer of Swift Asuki Justice, the typically civil atmosphere reflects the language used and thus there's less to be seen.
(Although some of the other anime threads are pretty brutal, dunno what happens in there)

Me personally have gone through a bit of a change ironically.
The "higher levels" (F%^K, S*^T) - were words that I couldn't even make myself say voluntarily, they simply wouldn't make it past my lips, it was incredibly forbidden and felt wrong.
Probably cause I'm a wordsmith of sorts, to me each word has it's own personality, it's own power and strength and so when I hear a person curse a blue streak and pepper f-words everywhere, it instantly turns me off.
I just think 'IQ in single digits, cannot use synonyms in the English language without resorting to crass, debase terms.’

Really puts me off.
Also there comes this notion of aggression to them. Even if the person is casually tossing them in, I hear it and will sometimes jump, thinking that something is wrong (since they are expletives)
So there's feeling that vibe too.

Me personally could never swear save on extreme occasions where they pop out without conscious thought because of heightened emotion.
My situations typically involved:
Extreme fear, extreme anger or extreme shock.

The funny thing though was in my writing, I had the same mental block so couldn't implement it in there for my characters, should the occasion need it.

That was 2006, 3 years later different story in terms of my use.
The mental block has gone, I find I can swear easily if I want to and am tempted to do so, lol.
And living on IRC for 2 years has built up my resistance to twitch at every curse word that’s on there, but I do pull out the “language!” scolding line if it’s overly extreme for no good reason.
Instead if I must swear, then I tend to make my own with the "lower level" ones, like for example:

Crap, crap in hell, holy crap, dangnammit, dammit, bugger in hell, replace f%$k with 'screw'.
(And yes I am religious, the hardest thing as I hear so many people use it that I have to stop myself from naturally using it is putting ‘God’ with ‘dammit’.) Hearing 'Jesus', still makes me flinch but it’s used left, right and centre, it’s virtually imposs to make people to chill on that.
Attempted results are usually in the form of getting the ‘freedom of speech’ book thrown at me and a scoff’ *sighs*
So much for common courtesy.

Of course being British, I've noticed there are some words (even ones that aren't really swear words...) that bear little offence back home that if I utter to an American, if looks could kill, it'd be an instant bullet to the head, lol.
Saying that, varying cultures and swearing are also something that highly interests me on a linguistic geeky level.
It's kinda amusing that if we're to learn another language, the first thing we typically go for is 'how to curse'.

Miyazaki's 'Laputa'
Totally innocent in most countries... save the Spanish speaking ones perhaps

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 19:00   Link #35
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
Miyazaki's 'Laputa'
Totally innocent in most countries... save the Spanish speaking ones perhaps
I will never forget the first time I heard the full title of that movie. I was like WTF!?......... La puta!?
Old 2009-06-08, 19:17   Link #36
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Curses less commonly heard in the US that have found their way into my lexicon:

I picked up "bloody hell","bollocks" and 'codswallop' from college (many silly Brit students). A few words from the Hitchhiker's Guide ("zark", "swut"). A Scottish "Ach, away an' bile yer heid". Japanese curses randomly.... ("Zakennayo!" is the only one that rolls off naturally outside of "baka" or "bakayarou" ... but you'd better be ready for a fight or flight ... though I hear its fallen out of use. ).
Old 2009-06-08, 19:27   Link #37
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Curses less commonly heard in the US that have found their way into my lexicon:

I picked up "bloody hell","bollocks" and 'codswallop'
I like this one, and have gone as far as to use it on this forum. There was also a character in Baldur's Gate 2 that used a similar line from time to time and I always liked how it spiced up his dialogues.
Old 2009-06-08, 19:34   Link #38
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
I like this one, and have gone as far as to use it on this forum. There was also a character in Baldur's Gate 2 that used a similar line from time to time and I always liked how it spiced up his dialogues.
*is currently amused by Vexx and Daniel's mention of British versions*
Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside
I think it's a given that swear words in other languages have this 'exotic' nature to them *coughoverlyusedjapaneseonescough*

Then again, if I could track down all the funky ass Engrish t-shirts in over here where they throw in the f-word in the middle of a poorly constructed sentence, it's like

what were you smoking...?

I'm also finding and seeing on a reverse culture level how lame it must be for Japanese natives if/when they hear us go around shooting 'baka' everywhere, as much as I find it kinda lame/silly when I hear them use the f-word or s£%t on a whim.
(I gotta teach a lot, not to use that casually among English speaking natives...)

Problem with swearing in the English language is that it's also kinda an artform in itself, if using words as a 'noun' 'adjective' or 'adverb', you gotta use them correctly
Now I'm reminded of that great internet video:
"The F-word and You"

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 19:46   Link #39
Neat Hedgehog
Hack of all trades

Yeah, I typically swear / curse a fair bit in casual conversation at home. Never in public, though, even if I'm talking to someone I know.

I'll curse if I am frustrated or annoyed with something / someone.

If I'm genuinely angry (which is rare) with someone, I don't curse at all, though. I won't use any words more than are absolutely necessary to get my point across in as little time as possible.

I've picked up some strange bits of language that aren't exactly "curses / swears" as much as they are just peculiar interjections, too. Mostly from spending years watching too many "YouTube Poop" videos. Once, when I was becoming irritated with a non-responsive computer terminal, I smacked the desk and said "PINGAS!" I got a couple weird looks from that one. (If you don't already know, "pingas" is from an episode of "Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog" where Robotnik pronounced the phrase "SnooP ING AS usual, I see" in such a way that it sounded rather like a part of the male anatomy ) And then there're all the usual "geek" slang words and such.
Neat Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 23:20   Link #40
H23

I swear way too much for my own good... unfortunately.