AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2009-08-27, 18:22   Link #3981
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Yeah. I noticed that the day the rumors started two weeks ago. I was driving (bike) through Stranglethorn after taking the griffon from Stormwind to the Rebel Camp. I could have made it to the raid instance long before that with my flying mount.

Plus driving from Rachet to just about anyplace in the Barrens......though I did give a lowbie a ride for a while (helped him try to level...but I decided to just use some BoE wand I picked up in the Wailing Caverns an hour before hand instead of by spells...or my normal wand. Made it seem more fair rather than one-shotting everything with my normal wand or any spell....or letting they get close enough for me to use a staff (no demon out...not needed).

Speaking of Rachet...I wonder what will happen to it when the Barrens goes all wonky.
Old 2009-08-28, 06:27   Link #3982
Jaden

About boosting, there has been talk of a "mentor" mode at Blizzcon, that you could use to temporarily reduce your character's level and stats to match your other party members, so you'd always be able to play with friends normally even if they're newbies. It's still uncertain if that will be in the Cataclysm release version though.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-28, 07:23   Link #3983
Gin
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
About boosting, there has been talk of a "mentor" mode at Blizzcon, that you could use to temporarily reduce your character's level and stats to match your other party members, so you'd always be able to play with friends normally even if they're newbies. It's still uncertain if that will be in the Cataclysm release version though.
That sounds completely pointless.
Old 2009-08-28, 07:26   Link #3984
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Yeah. I noticed that the day the rumors started two weeks ago. I was driving (bike) through Stranglethorn after taking the griffon from Stormwind to the Rebel Camp. I could have made it to the raid instance long before that with my flying mount.

Plus driving from Rachet to just about anyplace in the Barrens......though I did give a lowbie a ride for a while (helped him try to level...but I decided to just use some BoE wand I picked up in the Wailing Caverns an hour before hand instead of by spells...or my normal wand. Made it seem more fair rather than one-shotting everything with my normal wand or any spell....or letting they get close enough for me to use a staff (no demon out...not needed).

Speaking of Rachet...I wonder what will happen to it when the Barrens goes all wonky.
Ogrimmar is going to be partially destroyed, was said in a blue post. No idea about Ratchet. Although if it's nearby, it would probably be somewhat cactus too.
Old 2009-08-28, 13:38   Link #3985
Teshiro
What the deuce?!
*Artist

Send a message via ICQ to Teshiro
At least Desolace is now all green and stuff...unicorns all over the place and rainbows...perfect spot for warlocks xP Anyway I am so looking forward to Cataclysm, it will be a completely new game for a while. :P Well even though I haven't buyed my WotLK yet :P
Old 2009-08-29, 02:31   Link #3986
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gin View Post
That sounds completely pointless.
It allows you to have a fun, challenging game alongside a low level friend. No need to re-roll alts or the like, and your friend gets full experience too. Hardly sounds pointless to me.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-30, 10:26   Link #3987
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

A few starter zone maps for the worgen and goblins have come out of Blizzcon. The Worgen zone doesn't look right, so I'd guess that it is either just the phased starting zone and the ending zone will be larger, or it isn't complete yet. (No visable connection with Silverpine Forest and it doesn't quite look like a
peninsula). The Lost Isles looks fine.
Old 2009-08-30, 10:48   Link #3988
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Strange, because from the reports I read, Gilneas really got a big thumbs up for its current state. The type of quests they've set up really suits what happens in Gilneas. And the journey seems to draw away enough from the initial nihilism of the Death Knight path. Seems to be a dark path for the Worgen, but not one devoid of hope. The human in them isn't truly gone. Sounds like a fascinating conflict.

Goblin starter area looks about ready and has nice aesthetics. Exotic normally wins me, but for some reason, the backstory to Gilneas has so much more intrigue for me.

As for temporarily changing level...that could help to get around the problem of not being able to summon high level players to an instance with level restrictions. Because some of those ones across Axeroth can be damn annoying to get to. Although if flying is going to be opened up for Azeroth, it may not be that much of a problem anymore. I doubt the capped player would stay lowered within the instance, though. The whole point of them coming is to faceroll the instance ASAP.

Out of interest, what are uncut and cut epic gems going for on your servers? Or Titanium Ore stacks or the powder?
Old 2009-08-30, 11:17   Link #3989
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I just means the physical map looks off compared to what I'd think the end result would be...based on where it is relative to Silverpine and the general shape of the penisula as it looks on most maps now. The in game story and look seem fine.

There are some epic gems on the AH that I see sometimes. I don't looke for them usually. I've not looked to see in anyone sells stacks of Titanium Ore or powder, though I see them mentioned from time to time in Trade. I don't look for Titanium Ore since I'm more interested in gathering Titanium. For a while to make Titansteel, and now just to built up a stock of Titanium Bars, since I now have enough Titansteel to make a second Bike or a second Wormhole generator if someone wanted one...and could afford them.

I did loot a BoE epic plate helm in one of the level 58 instances while finishing up Argent Dawn rep. It sold for some nice gold.
Old 2009-08-30, 12:16   Link #3990
gummybear
MUDKIP MUD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
if they are going to copy FFXI like that then they might as well as to copy the custom generate moglins dungons, at least then we can build our own dungons and have more fun that way.
gummybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-30, 12:37   Link #3991
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by gummybear View Post
if they are going to copy FFXI like that then they might as well as to copy the custom generate moglins dungons, at least then we can build our own dungons and have more fun that way.
FFIX is hardly the first MMO to utilize this system. I believe City of Heroes had it earlier.

Any way, in my opinion this system is rather nice. It allows new players to group up with their high level friends, and still allow for a challenging experience. At the same time, if the system is not optional, it will also increase the pool of players looking for a group. With people no longer being able to call on a high level player to bust them through, they'll need to rely on other, equally leveled ones.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-30, 13:12   Link #3992
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
CoH had a similar system to FFXI's Level Sync, but it was nowhere near as powerful and flexible. In CoH a lower level character could become a Sidekick which would eliminate any possible level difference penalties but it's not the same as causing an entire party to reduce to a target member's level.

Level Sync should be in every online RPG if said game has experience levels.
Old 2009-08-30, 15:45   Link #3993
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I just tend to resort to lesser weapons when helping lowbies. use my staff or wand only. If I can find a relatively equal level weapon, equip it and use that instead. I get little out of it, but at least it feels like leveling...rather than a one shot festival of death. I do use my spells every once in a while. Like if the lowbie is suddenly in trouble or I somehow managed to pull more than he can handle...then the Shadowfury comes out.
Old 2009-08-30, 22:05   Link #3994
gummybear
MUDKIP MUD!

I just noticed that there are a lot more elementals in the old lands as I lvl my pally for the past few days, they all carry the name "________ Invader" and they were never there before. I wonder if it has anything to do with the new expansion XD
gummybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-30, 22:13   Link #3995
Xacual

Those have been there since back during Vanilla WoW. Occasionally an Elemental Invasion would spawn in Silithus, Azshara, Winterspring or Ungoro. There would be a named elite and lots of portals with Invader named elementals. Once the elite was killed the portals would disappear and the mobs would stop spawning but would still stay up until killed. Invasions used to be considered a great thing to farm because they had a higher drop rate of the elemental items needed for crafting or enchants. People that killed the named elite right when the invasion started were kind of hated by people hoping to farm...

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-31, 15:31   Link #3996
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Oddly, I'd expect them to increase over the next year. Maybe even putting in some kind of temor events from time to time in other zones that produce elementals. Not like it is easy to bust through the Crust. (*WHAM* "Earthquake!" ~'Ow! That hurt...I'll try again later went that heals'~)

Edit: Looking again at the presented map of Gilneas, and a presentation of how the land phasing system will work, I can tell that the map presented on the WoW Wiki is in fact the instanced Worgen starting area, not the final map of Gilneas. The map presents a relatively small coastal area similar to the Scarlet Enclave. The phasing presentation suggests that nearly the entire starting region will be flooded over time so that when the level 6, 10, or whatever level it is worgen gets out of the starting instanced area, they'll have a larger map of Gilneas where the starting zone is almost, if not completely destroyed by the Cataclysm. This is why the map seemed wrong to me earlier...it wasn't the whole of Gilneas...just a piece of it.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2009-08-31 at 15:55. Reason: Gilneas update
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-31, 23:01   Link #3997
Westlo
Lets be reality

Reupped about a week ago after quitting about 1 month into WotLK (I than tried Warhammer for a month before quitting that too) and I'm glad they took some stuff from Warhammer. Being able to queue anywhere for BGs and return to where you were was a great feature in Warhammer. Also loving the experience given in Alterac Valley, thanks to this AV weekend I've leveled from 75-77 and gone from 25k honor to 60k.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-31, 23:19   Link #3998
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Sadly I've returned to the game myself and yeah, AV experience is pretty amazing. My alt went from 51-58 this weekend almost entirely in there, with a few stops in Western Plaguelands and Un'Goro in-between matches. Going to cut back now that I can go to Outland though, as the money from the quests is pretty significant compared to the almost nothing you earn in AV. There's also the issue of weapon skill which doesn't go up from hitting the AV npcs.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-01, 00:11   Link #3999
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

How does the BG experience work? Could take my whittle druid in there. Is it a worthwhile alternative over normal questing?
Old 2009-09-01, 00:28   Link #4000
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
How does the BG experience work? Could take my whittle druid in there. Is it a worthwhile alternative over normal questing?
The first AV I did this AV holiday I went from 1.1% to 11.5% and this was at level 75, for someone who hates leveling like me this is bliss, especially since I want to get close to honor capped as possible as well.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blizzard, game, mmorpg, online, warcraft, windows