AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

View Poll Results: Code Geass Episode 7 Rating
Perfect 10 12 24.49%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 15 30.61%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 14 28.57%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 8.16%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 2.04%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 4.08%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 2.04%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2006-11-29, 03:08   Link #61
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenta View Post
I've checked the Shinsen's version of this and they used Geas instead of Geass. Geass is the official spelling, I wonder how they can make such an important mistake.
It's probably a "translation", in the same way "The third Children" was changed to "The third Child" in Evangelion. The original spelling was intentional, but the translator made the choice to alter it.

Geas is the Irish word for the mystical curse that forces someone to do/not do something at the pain of death.

It's only one syllable; I would personally accept their decision, since my computer can handle avi's better and as such the Shinsen subs are a welcoming sight.
Old 2006-11-29, 23:09   Link #62
Psychodragon
Inactive Member

I'm finally watching a subbing group's version of this episode. I also took notice of the many references to Vincent as an orange.

And then it hit me. I was once a sailor in the Navy, and those sailors who had committed immoral acts, such as getting into scuffles, DUI, etc., were ordered into "detention." They were also ordered to wear orange jumpsuits, to indicate that they were denied permissions to leave the ship under any circumstances (and perhaps humiliation).

So that's probably why Vincent was referred to as an "orange." Just wanted to get this off my chest.

-PD
Psychodragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-30, 00:07   Link #63
Cal-Reflector

Quote:
I've checked the Shinsen's version of this and they used Geas instead of Geass. Geass is the official spelling, I wonder how they can make such an important mistake.
Off topic: Can I borrow that sig? Few people like Eclair, but I do, she has that exotic Frenchness that I so seldom see in anime.
Old 2006-11-30, 04:56   Link #64
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

Spoiler:

http://sining83.blogspot.com
evil|plushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-30, 05:38   Link #65
CronuZ

Send a message via MSN to CronuZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by evil|plushie View Post
Spoiler:
Hes drunk wif his victorious and newly given powers for bringing down Brittania. He underestimate his opponent thus result of his defeat against a well-experienced general/tactician aka Cornelia.

Jeremiah's subordinate? u mean Villetta? I dont get u

About CC conversing wif someone... I think that maybe her split personality or something coz if u pay attention to her voice and contents, she sound very different.... at 1st he warns her otherself about Lulu's identity and helping him is very dangerous.... then she answered to herself that she knows that. This clearly shows that she might have a split personality hence C.C(C- two, 2 personality? 2 names?)
CronuZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-30, 05:44   Link #66
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil|plushie View Post
Spoiler:

i think lelouch thaught it was coernlia who was overconfident. since she invited him to a "second shijuku guetto" incident, i guess he accepted the challenge and chose the same tactic on purpose. (not that it would work perfectly, but if he succeed in it, he would kill cornelia (which is a perfect oppoortunity) and would deal to the empire a huge humiliation)

as for viletta, she doesn't know. she barely remembered about the uniform, nothing else. (she is probably one of the few lelouch's flaws)
Old 2006-12-02, 16:39   Link #67
Blue_Mage
Editor and QCer of d00m
*Fansubber

Quote:
I'll just point out that there's a note at the end of episode 1 of SHS-ureshii's release that explains why we chose to go with Geas. There's a very specific reason behind it. That, and the English spelling for the word is highly misleading. Personally, I think the Japanese just can't spell it.
Blue_Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-03, 09:52   Link #68
melange
Reset, reset, reset...

I didn't see anyone comment on this before (maybe elsewhere, if so apologies)...

The textbook Suzaku was reading when he was studying with Cecile had this passage...

"While other European Countries Stagnated by [blank]
of people's revolutions and parliamentarization, England [blank]
fast to absolue monarchy,
and saw continued development through the reigns of
King Henry X and Edward VI thanks to the wealth produ [blank]
by the New World."

Which basically more or less confirms the suspicion that has been bandied around that in the world of Code Geass, Britannia = England and the American colonies lost the Revolutionary War.

Of the 'Kings' mentioned in the article Henry IX and Henry X seem to be fictional... As far as I can tell there was only up to Henry VIII (1509–1547, Elizabeth I's father). There was a Edward VI (1547–1553) of the House of Tudor.

"Every man has two countries, his own and France" - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson
melange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-03, 14:23   Link #69
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Mage View Post
I'll just point out that there's a note at the end of episode 1 of SHS-ureshii's release that explains why we chose to go with Geas. There's a very specific reason behind it. That, and the English spelling for the word is highly misleading. Personally, I think the Japanese just can't spell it.
I haven't watched SHS-ureshii's sub but did you go with 'geas' because of the Celtic origins of the word?
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-03, 21:23   Link #70
Blue_Mage
Editor and QCer of d00m
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex View Post
I haven't watched SHS-ureshii's sub but did you go with 'geas' because of the Celtic origins of the word?
Pretty much. Half the note is an explanation of Cuchulainn.
Old 2006-12-04, 07:41   Link #71
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

The connection to the name is superficial though. Sure there are similarities between the power of Geass and the geasa but the emphasis has been changed significantly. Same with Ragnarok and the other mythological elements I guess. Geasa in mythology are quite odd and fascinating, more symbolic than simple tasks. Like Cú Chulainn's dog meat/free dinner geasa

But Geass is the official name, appears in the logo and is what Sunrise have elected to call it. Spelling mistake or not, it's their decision. When the R1 dvds are released do you think Geass will be changed to Geas in the licensed subs? Somehow I doubt it.
Old 2006-12-04, 08:01   Link #72
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

It's time like this I remember the fact that ADV wanted to rename Utawarerumono into Shadows Warrior Chronicles and Tokyo Mew Mew almost became Hollywood Mew Mew and then became Mew Mew power.

Makes the changing of geass into geas seem so trivial.

http://sining83.blogspot.com
evil|plushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-04, 10:55   Link #73
Clarste
Human

If I remember correctly, Lelouch named his power. It makes much more sense for him to name it after some mythological concept (which it does resemble) than to pull a made up word out of nowhere. I'd be more willing to believe it was actually Geass if the name had some history behind it, but it doesn't seem to.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-05, 02:04   Link #74
Blue_Mage
Editor and QCer of d00m
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex View Post
But Geass is the official name, appears in the logo and is what Sunrise have elected to call it. Spelling mistake or not, it's their decision. When the R1 dvds are released do you think Geass will be changed to Geas in the licensed subs? Somehow I doubt it.
I guess it's a good thing I have absolutely no responsibility to the show's creator, isn't it? Not that that's meant to be quite as crass as it sounds...

To be frank, both the translator and I agreed that we had a greater responsibility to translate the concept into English than we did to maintain an inexplicable difference in spelling. Spelling mistake or no, our translations are our choice. If this show ever gets licensed (and the licensing market hasn't been exactly great or predictable lately), I will be absolutely fascinated to see what they decide to do with it.

P.S.
Just be thankful I didn't decide to spell it "geis". :P
Old 2006-12-05, 07:10   Link #75
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
I guess it's a good thing I have absolutely no responsibility to the show's creator, isn't it?
If you say so. Other fans (and fansubs) don't seem to have a problem respecting such creative choices even if they don't agree with them.

Quote:
To be frank, both the translator and I agreed that we had a greater responsibility to translate the concept into English than we did to maintain an inexplicable difference in spelling. Spelling mistake or no, our translations are our choice. If this show ever gets licensed (and the licensing market hasn't been exactly great or predictable lately), I will be absolutely fascinated to see what they decide to do with it.

P.S.
Just be thankful I didn't decide to spell it "geis". :P
IMHO there is no phantom 'inexplicable difference in spelling' at all. Geass is an original idea which appears to be based very loosely on the Gaelic concept of geasa. Aside from fans identifying the similiarities between the names there's no official evidence that there is any connection.
Old 2006-12-05, 07:59   Link #76
Retsoor

>> Geass is an original idea which appears to be based very loosely

I don't agree with Blue_Mage's words, my cynicism does not run that deep, but to say Geass only appears to be very loosely based on geas is misleading.

The fictional power Geass was derived from geas in both name and usage, with an added 's' to differentiate it from the pre-existing mythical power to better suit the needs of the series. Geass is original, but it has its roots.
Retsoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-05, 12:41   Link #77
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retsoor View Post
>> Geass is an original idea which appears to be based very loosely

I don't agree with Blue_Mage's words, my cynicism does not run that deep, but to say Geass only appears to be very loosely based on geas is misleading.

The fictional power Geass was derived from geas in both name and usage, with an added 's' to differentiate it from the pre-existing mythical power to better suit the needs of the series. Geass is original, but it has its roots.
I agree with your last statement, but really Geass and geasa have little in common beside the name and the fact it can used to impose a task on an individual. Geasa are more akin to a social obligation or even a personal prohibition performed under pain of a severe punishment or death. The punishment is the key aspect of geasa, absent in Lelouch's power.

I think writers of Code Geass just skimmed off the basic elements of the geasa tradition, merged it with the concept of the Evil Eye and hey presto - Geass.
Old 2006-12-17, 02:54   Link #78
Pakxenon
popcorn

Action-packed episode with awesome flashbacks and back-conflicts. CODE GEASS =! DEATH NOTE. 9/10.
Pakxenon is offline   Reply With Quote