AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-04-01, 23:06   Link #841
brocko

I don't really care which airs first as long as we get both. But being left in the dark and having to speculate which comes first annoys me somewhat... damn their viral marketing! ><

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
Old 2008-04-02, 15:32   Link #842
thirdlc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
It's already been written.
Really? I thought there's no news after Tanigawa said, as an apology for the delays in 2007 October issue of the Sneaker, that the characters ignored him and did their own things, and that he couldn't help it and that's why he couldn't write what he was trying to write.
Old 2008-04-02, 15:37   Link #843
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

As far as I know, the book is still being serialized, meaning that at least a portion of it is probably already finalized by the time they announce a release date of the bound volume. How much of it is written is hard to gauge, and disregarding whether or not Tanigawa is indeed having difficulty or the publisher is waiting to simultaneously release it with the second anime season to maximize hype (or a combination of the two), I can certainly see from the perspective of a fellow writer how Tanigawa could have become stuck after volume nine.
Old 2008-04-02, 15:50   Link #844
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdlc View Post
Really? I thought there's no news after Tanigawa said, as an apology for the delays in 2007 October issue of the Sneaker, that the characters ignored him and did their own things, and that he couldn't help it and that's why he couldn't write what he was trying to write.
Then why was Vol. 10 set to be released a mere two months after 9? He can't write all that in two months.

Well, if that's true, then, I think that means either he's going to end it prematurely just to end it, or that we're never going to see Vol. 10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
As far as I know, the book is still being serialized, meaning that at least a portion of it is probably already finalized by the time they announce a release date of the bound volume. How much of it is written is hard to gauge, and disregarding whether or not Tanigawa is indeed having difficulty or the publisher is waiting to simultaneously release it with the second anime season to maximize hype (or a combination of the two), I can certainly see from the perspective of a fellow writer how Tanigawa could have become stuck after volume nine.
Vol. 9 wasn't serialized, to my knowledge.

And, as I've said, Vol. 10 was probably already written, given that Vol. 9 feels like the first half of one book.
Old 2008-04-02, 15:54   Link #845
Kristen
*Author

Quote:
Then why was Vol. 10 set to be released a mere two months after 9? He can't write all that in two months.

Well, if that's true, then, I think that means either he's going to end it prematurely just to end it, or that we're never going to see Vol. 10.
Was that what you were basing the "Volume 10 wasn't because of writer's block" on? I thought there was an announcement or something.

Because if so, he really could write all that in two months. 50,000 words takes about a month to write if you are going to write in your free time. As a job, he could finish it in two weeks, if he had the ideas.
Old 2008-04-02, 15:59   Link #846
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissieXD View Post
Was that what you were basing the "Volume 10 wasn't because of writer's block" on? I thought there was an announcement or something.

Because if so, he really could write all that in two months. 50,000 words takes about a month to write if you are going to write in your free time. As a job, he could finish it in two weeks, if he had the ideas.
Well, there was a lot of other stuff, if you actually read my posts in this topic...

But all I heard was that it was delayed for "various circumstances".

If it is indeed writer's block, Vol. 10 will be the last volume and have a FAIL ending, however.
Old 2008-04-02, 19:36   Link #847
lastchance

Delays happen, writers get stuck, etc. Better to wait and be patient than force something. (see: Starcraft, for possibly the best example of this evar)

And if you're going to announce a June 1st date, you're not going to delay it if the book is written by then. -_-. Clearly, he doesn't have Surprise written by June 1st, and assuming thirdlc is right (source ftw, plz?), he doesn't have it written by October, either. So, gotta be patient, I guess. And this affects (or should affect, I should say) what KyoAni tries to do.

If Tanigawa was just cranking out novels, KyoAni should be more inclined to go ahead and run 24 eps. As of right now, I think easing back makes sense.

Neway, the above is all weak speculation, and not a very good reason to discount the likelihood of 24 episodes. However, consider the December promotion. It was a very volume 4 centric promotion which did not even hint at Volume 7. If they were planning to do Volume 7, I think they would promote it. Obv, plans change, etc, etc, but I think this makes it more likely for a 14 ep season.
Old 2008-04-02, 19:39   Link #848
IHaveCrayons

I hope there's a bit more action, I know it's not really about action but I liked the way some of it was animated in the first season.
Old 2008-04-02, 20:09   Link #849
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastchance View Post
Delays happen, writers get stuck, etc. Better to wait and be patient than force something. (see: Starcraft, for possibly the best example of this evar)

And if you're going to announce a June 1st date, you're not going to delay it if the book is written by then. -_-. Clearly, he doesn't have Surprise written by June 1st, and assuming thirdlc is right (source ftw, plz?), he doesn't have it written by October, either. So, gotta be patient, I guess. And this affects (or should affect, I should say) what KyoAni tries to do.
You don't announce a June release date if the book isn't going to be ready by then.

There's usually six-month break between novels, not two.
Old 2008-04-02, 21:08   Link #850
lastchance

Quote:
You don't announce a June release date if you think the book isn't going to be ready by then.

You see how these two things are different?
Old 2008-04-02, 21:10   Link #851
Kristen
*Author

Quote:
You don't announce a June release date if the book isn't going to be ready by then.

My personal guess is that he was writing the novel, and thought from the start to make it a two part story. So he set the date of April, which was like 10 months from the release of book 8, with plans to announce June later. He was making progress with book 9, so he announced the June release. I'm thinking he probably did this around the end of chapter 1. But, as he wrote chapter 2 and 3, he got into more and more jams, AKA, writer's block. As with lots of writers I know (Myself included), you don't cancel a deadline until you're positive a miracle can't happen. And when it came to like May, he didn't have much of anything on book 10, and delayed its release. I mean, even if he had nothing, as I said before, it's possible to write a book in like 2 weeks if you have the ideas. Hence why it was delayed then.

In other words, he was allotting 6 months to each, but 9 took more out of him than he expected. Hence why I am expecting novel 10 to be the last one, and also resulting in season 2 to be 14 episodes long and include everything except Melancholy of Mikuru and Books 7-9. Considering that you can do any light novel in 6 episodes or less, this would allow for a 22-24 episode season 3, which would be concentrating on ideas just introduced in that season.
Old 2008-04-02, 21:43   Link #852
Hedd
Random Object

Quote:
My personal guess is that he was writing the novel, and thought from the start to make it a two part story. So he set the date of April, which was like 10 months from the release of book 8, with plans to announce June later. He was making progress with book 9, so he announced the June release. I'm thinking he probably did this around the end of chapter 1. But, as he wrote chapter 2 and 3, he got into more and more jams, AKA, writer's block. As with lots of writers I know (Myself included), you don't cancel a deadline until you're positive a miracle can't happen. And when it came to like May, he didn't have much of anything on book 10, and delayed its release. I mean, even if he had nothing, as I said before, it's possible to write a book in like 2 weeks if you have the ideas. Hence why it was delayed then.

In other words, he was allotting 6 months to each, but 9 took more out of him than he expected. Hence why I am expecting novel 10 to be the last one, and also resulting in season 2 to be 14 episodes long and include everything except Melancholy of Mikuru and Books 7-9. Considering that you can do any light novel in 6 episodes or less, this would allow for a 22-24 episode season 3, which would be concentrating on ideas just introduced in that season.
It's overthinking at it's finest although theories always make interesting conversation in the very least. I personally feel the theory that it's all marketing ploy is probably the most realistic, there's /is/ a possability for what you stated or as a different angle on the same theory, he just wanted a vacation for a bit. In the end everything from the books to 2nd season are speculation at best, aggressive opinion at worst. Nothing will be announced or admitted until they want you to buy/watch it.
Old 2008-04-02, 21:48   Link #853
kaura117
Word Moe

Marketing Ploys are always the best bet.

Never, ever, underestimate the cunning of a decent marketing team. Tying the novel release to the second season is pretty much guaranteed money all the way.
Old 2008-04-02, 21:52   Link #854
lastchance

I would not be surprised if the 10th novel is released (and announced) on the same date as the second season.

I would be very surprised if the initial delay (see: a year ago) was due to a marketing ploy.
Old 2008-04-02, 21:53   Link #855
kaura117
Word Moe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastchance View Post
I would not be surprised if the 10th novel is released (and announced) on the same date as the second season.

I would be very surprised if the initial delay (see: a year ago) was due to a marketing ploy.
Why? Studios do plot out seasons farther in advance than that, and releasing novels in conjunction with series makes sense.
Old 2008-04-02, 22:01   Link #856
Kristen
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaura117 View Post
Why? Studios do plot out seasons farther in advance than that, and releasing novels in conjunction with series makes sense.
However, to delay it for at least a year for marketing purposes instead of releasing 2 more books in that time is just stupid. You lose out on a lot of money that way.
Old 2008-04-02, 22:08   Link #857
kaura117
Word Moe

Quote:
However, to delay it for at least a year for marketing purposes instead of releasing 2 more books in that time is just stupid. You lose out on a lot of money that way.
...he's one author. The usual developmental (ie: writing, then editing, then editing, then editing, then editing...) lifespan of a published book is one year anyhow, and sales of a hot property are always, always best during its first week. Holding it back a year isn't going to harm the property at all- if anything, it probably guarantees a Book 12 and more, given that he's since had that year to plot out the rest of the story, without the pressure of a deadline.
Old 2008-04-02, 22:33   Link #858
Kristen
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaura117 View Post
...he's one author. The usual developmental (ie: writing, then editing, then editing, then editing, then editing...) lifespan of a published book is one year anyhow, and sales of a hot property are always, always best during its first week. Holding it back a year isn't going to harm the property at all- if anything, it probably guarantees a Book 12 and more, given that he's since had that year to plot out the rest of the story, without the pressure of a deadline.
Heh, I know that from writing myself. But the thing is that he had previously released 2-3 books in a year. And if Kaisos's theory that he has lots of ideas left is true, then he would have been more than capable to release 2 more books by this June. And 3 released books will always get more money than 1 book that was stalled to eat on fandom.
Old 2008-04-02, 22:36   Link #859
kaura117
Word Moe

Quote:
Heh, I know that from writing myself. But the thing is that he had previously released 2-3 books in a year. And if Kaisos's theory that he has lots of ideas left is true, then he would have been more than capable to release 2 more books by this June. And 3 released books will always get more money than 1 book that was stalled to eat on fandom.
There's a good chance his output might've slowed down. Or, rather, it was going to slow down. Light novels may be "light," but that doesn't mean they're easy to churn out- not at his going rate.

There's also another option: the studio and publishing execs flummoxed the math. Which, cynically, is a theory I'm not hesitant to favor...
Old 2008-04-02, 22:44   Link #860
lastchance

Because you don't cancel a book two weeks before the deadline unless it's not ready? The date is announced. Money was spent promoting the book (ok, this is an assumption, mebbe they didn't spend any money at all promoting the book, I don't live in Japan). You've committed to this due date. If the book is ready, it's going to be released.

You generally don't want to piss your fanbase off at that point by delaying the book for a marketing stunt. And if you want a book to be announced with the new season, you don't delay the release of the book you're working on by 12 months (and have already announced a release date for) two weeks before it's due just because of a marketing ploy. It is possible (and easy?) to write a new book within this time to cash in. I don't see how this ploy makes sense. This is why I'm saying what I'm saying.

It's not that difficult to figure out. Guy ran into trouble while writing book. Coming to another conclusion requires Isiah-like levels of willful blindness.
Closed Thread

Tags
comedy, kadokawa, school life, science fiction, shounen