AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-06-12, 18:34   Link #1
kitten320

Something similar to these...

Basicly I just want some shows similar to my favorite ones.
The names in bold are my faves and names beside are similar shows I have already watched. All I need is for you to add more shows to that list:

1) Mai HiME = Madoka Magica, Fate/Stay Night, Rozen Maiden, Mai Otome
2) Ghost Hunt = Monster, Shinrei Tantei Yakumo
3) Ga-Rei Zero = Black Rock Shooter, Elfen Lied, Claymore
4) Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom = DTB, Rainbow
5) Shiki
6) GTO
7) Baccano! = Durarara
8) Clannad = Air, Kanon 2006, Angel Beats, Chobits, Toradora, Love Hina, AnoHana
9) FMA = Busou Renkin, Soul Eater, D.Gray Man
10) Fairy Tail
11) K-ON = Working!!, Sora No Woto

Last edited by kitten320; 2011-06-13 at 09:03.
Old 2011-06-12, 19:17   Link #2
GreatTeacherKen

3) Berserk- although its primary characters are male, in terms of tone it's quite similar to those series. In fact it, especially the manga since the anime tones down some of the most brutal stuff, is even darker than those series. Both the anime/manga are worth a look. The anime only covers one lengthy story arc from the manga, but is pretty good and for the most part, works well as a stand alone with strong characterization. It takes a few episodes to pick up, but once it does it gets good.

Of course, the manga does provide a more complete story although it is not over yet and isn't going to be over any time soon.

8) ef a tale of memories- Like CLANNAD, it's also based on an utsuge visual novel, and I'd say it's just as dramatic and tear-jerking as any of the Key adaptations. The first half is relatively calm, but from episode 7 onwards, the drama gets quite intense. It also has a distinct visual style that I think enhances the drama.

10) One Piece- Fairy Tail is often compared to this series due to its similar art style and this predates Fairy Tail by nearly a decade, though apparently the resemblance is a coincidence. It's a fun adventure series with a likable cast of characters and like Fairy Tail has a strong emphasis on friendship. It's a long runner, and won't end any time soon. I'd recommend that you at least watch until the Arlong Arc, which is where the series finds its footing and is the first really good story arc.

It's also the most popular anime/manga in Japan for the past decade or so, no other series comes close.

11) Azumanga Daioh- This is probably the series that popularized the slice of life comedy genre, which K-On! is a part of. It's very funny and has lot of memorable quotes and scenes, many of which have become memes.
Old 2011-06-12, 20:17   Link #3
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

11) A Channel for sure the feel of the show couldn't possible be more like K-On completely with Insert Songs despite there being no band and, Lucky Star or Sora no Woto might also fit for what you'd enjoy? Also MM! for Yuuno being a bit like Mahiru with her androphobia issues .
MAL
Old 2011-06-12, 20:31   Link #4
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
As disconnected as they might seem, I believe The Skull Man has that same stylistic flair present in Baccano! and Durarara!! It's darker to be sure, but you'll probably see what I mean. I'll also second everything mentioned for K-On!, as well as recommend Hidamari Sketch, Hyakko!, and Best Student Council. The first is a somewhat known-yet-pushed-to-the-sidelines 4-koma adaptation that's aware of its own simplicity, the next one will basically work for anyone who's into over-reactive comedy, and the final one, I find, has a surprising amount of story and is quite heartwarming. Finally, as you have My-HiME on the OP, the obligatory response with Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha and A's is in order.
GANBARIMASU
Old 2011-06-12, 23:08   Link #5
Elegance

If i remember correctly, There Mai-Otome. Basically Mai hime but different characters? I dropped Mai Hime so not sure. Hmmm since you like FMA, you can maybe try D. gray man. But instead of Alchemy, its Excorcism. Also Fairy Tail is like One piece like GreatTeacherKen Said. Maybe you can also try Gantz (18+) since Elfen Lied is on there but its not really ur fav but I like Gantz better. Also I see Clannad and the other Romance animes so Please Teacher! is good. Its one of my fav of romance but Maison Ikkoku(old anime) is. Sorry couldnt been much help because i haveant seen most of those.
Old 2011-06-13, 02:55   Link #6
Kleo Scanti
Urd Fangirl

What I was going to recommend is on your ToWatch list, so I guess it would be safe to mention these series:

Read or Die OVA (and then, if you like it, the TV) - action, guns and superpowers.
Revolutionary Girl Utena - fencing, surrealistic environment, would nicely fit into the first category (better than those titles you mentioned, IMHO, and I consider all those series to be very good). The art might seem a bit strange, but if you're used to the older series it won't be a problem.
Ah! My Goddess! - if you liked Chobits, it's a Must-see.
Old 2011-06-13, 03:20   Link #7
Rahan

Gokusen is the closest thing from GTO.
Female weirdo yakuza teacher instead of Onizuka ...
Old 2011-06-13, 09:03   Link #8
kitten320

Thanks everyone! I will take a look at them
Also have updated the list by including some of the recommended shows that I have seen already

Elegance
Yeh I saw Mai Otome, it is the alternative version of Mai HiME series and not really good one

That's sad, I think you might have liked some of them
Well as long as you like mysteries, drama and suspence that is, since that's mostly the type of series I have on the list

But still thanks for trying
Old 2011-06-13, 15:43   Link #9
sadisticlust

Try giving Sora no Otoshimono a chance. We have a similar taste in anime so you might enjoy this anime.
Old 2011-06-14, 07:28   Link #10
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

1) Legend of the Legendary Heroes, Sacred Blacksmith, Star Driver, Tales of Vesperia
2) Denpa Teki na Kanojo, Mnemosyne, Tehxnolyze,
3) Kara no Kyoukai, Tsukihime
4) Casshern SINS, Senkou no Night Raid, House of Five Leaves
5)
6)
7)
8) Hana Saku Iroha, Bungaku Shojo, Honey & Clover, Kannagi, Yosuga no Sora
9) Fractale
10)
11) Kuragehime, Denpa Onna, Welcome to the NHK
Old 2011-06-14, 13:19   Link #11
Kotohono