AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2006-12-17, 14:29   Link #1
asgiov

HD playback for Playstation 3?

So is there anyway to get HD fansubs to playback on the PS3?
Since the system supports MPEG 4 and all is there a way to convert the different file types to Mpeg 4?
Old 2006-12-17, 15:45   Link #2
Nicholi
King of Hosers

Someone already came into the #cccp channel wondering about this... err wait actually it was #darkhold. But same difference.

You should be able to play any DivX/XviD encodes if you mux them to MP4. They usually only contain MP3 audio and I can't foresee any problems unless other weird formats are used.

The problem of course will come about when you try to play H.264/AVC videos. This poor chap that came into #darkhold was trying to remux an H.264 VFR MKV with SSA softsubs to MP4. After a few prodding tips he essentially made the entire conversion on the computer so in the end he had an H.264 VFR MP4 with TTXT subtitles with LC-AAC also. But in the end we found out that PS3 only supports Main Profile H.264 and only LC-AAC. The file he was trying to play on the PS3 was High Profile . Not even sure still if it does support TTXT subtitles, but I would assume it does. Assuming the HD files you are talking about are H.264 you can only play them if they are Main Profile (or lower) encodes, also you won't be able to play anything with HE-AAC obviously. Otherwise just read your PS3 manual for the specifications on what can be played, thats where he found them.

I believe most H.264 encodes are High Profile, so you won't be able to play any of those on your PS3 without re-encoding. Easiest way to see what the video is besides asking the hosers in said channel is open the file in a Hex Editor. If it was encoded with x264 the exact commandline parameters are written into the file. Look for '8x8dct=1'. Nero's AVC encoder also supports High Profile encoding but I don't think there is any simple way to determine if the files are High Profile or not, not that any fansub encoders use it.

Last edited by Nicholi; 2006-12-17 at 15:59.
Old 2006-12-18, 00:15   Link #3
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Send a message via AIM to Komataguri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholi View Post
Someone already came into the #cccp channel wondering about this... err wait actually it was #darkhold. But same difference.

You should be able to play any DivX/XviD encodes if you mux them to MP4. They usually only contain MP3 audio and I can't foresee any problems unless other weird formats are used.

The problem of course will come about when you try to play H.264/AVC videos. This poor chap that came into #darkhold was trying to remux an H.264 VFR MKV with SSA softsubs to MP4. After a few prodding tips he essentially made the entire conversion on the computer so in the end he had an H.264 VFR MP4 with TTXT subtitles with LC-AAC also. But in the end we found out that PS3 only supports Main Profile H.264 and only LC-AAC. The file he was trying to play on the PS3 was High Profile . Not even sure still if it does support TTXT subtitles, but I would assume it does. Assuming the HD files you are talking about are H.264 you can only play them if they are Main Profile (or lower) encodes, also you won't be able to play anything with HE-AAC obviously. Otherwise just read your PS3 manual for the specifications on what can be played, thats where he found them.

I believe most H.264 encodes are High Profile, so you won't be able to play any of those on your PS3 without re-encoding. Easiest way to see what the video is besides asking the hosers in said channel is open the file in a Hex Editor. If it was encoded with x264 the exact commandline parameters are written into the file. Look for '8x8dct=1'. Nero's AVC encoder also supports High Profile encoding but I don't think there is any simple way to determine if the files are High Profile or not, not that any fansub encoders use it.

I don't have a PS3...but if you install linux, Shouldn't you be able to set up the codecs in linux so you don't have to worry about recoding the files at all

heck, with linux on it, you should be able to set up file sharing, and just stream the videos straight from your computer without doing anything more than mounting the network drive and double clicking the file [ once you have the codecs/media player of choice installed ]
Old 2006-12-18, 07:40   Link #4
Nicholi
King of Hosers

Huh what? Ok yeah do what he said...install linux on your PS3.
Old 2006-12-18, 13:41   Link #5
martino
makes no files now

Install linux. I think that someone managed to get Fedore Core 5 working straight off the box and then just use mplayer. Of course that you'll have to compile it first, but I think that there was a guide somewhere around here...
Old 2006-12-18, 15:41   Link #6
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Quote:
Originally Posted by martino View Post
Install linux. I think that someone managed to get Fedore Core 5 working straight off the box and then just use mplayer. Of course that you'll have to compile it first, but I think that there was a guide somewhere around here...
Isn't YellowDog Linux the unofficial official linux distro for PS3?

But yeah...world would be alot simplier for the OP if he installed linux and got a media solution compiled and installed. Steam the video right from his PC [ as long as he puts it on a non-NTFS network drive ]
Old 2006-12-18, 16:52   Link #7
martino
makes no files now

Yellow Dog Linux... I don't think that the PS3 version has been released yet.
Old 2006-12-18, 21:02   Link #8
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Quote:
Originally Posted by martino View Post
Yellow Dog Linux... I don't think that the PS3 version has been released yet.
yes it has