AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-04-14, 14:44   Link #1
daliinn

Van Hellsing

I was just curious, is the new movie "Van Hellsing" any bit related to the anime or is it merely coincidence?
daliinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-14, 14:48   Link #2
Thyrz
Laidback Luke

It's just coincidence, unfortunately.
Old 2004-04-14, 14:54   Link #3
AnimeFangirl

Err, no it's not a coincidence. Both movie and anime take the name Van Helsing from the hunter Dr. Abraham Van Helsing in the original Dracula novel by Bram Stoker. Well I say "original" but Sto;ker didn't exactly come up with the legend either. And so on, and so forth, blah blah blah. No time for a history/literature lession today, kids, mommy's busy.
Old 2004-04-14, 14:55   Link #4
Kaoru27Umi
Jounin

Send a message via AIM to Kaoru27Umi
I can't wait to see that movie it looks really good

~~~>Kaoru
Kaoru27Umi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-14, 15:21   Link #5
Rhia
shush! I was only helping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thyrz
It's just coincidence, unfortunately.
are u sure its just coincidence or is there a reason behind it???

hehehe..
Rhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-14, 15:27   Link #6
MasafumiGotoh

Van Helsing was said to be started as a legend. Then written to a book. Then borrowed it, made a slight alteration to the name and made to an anime. And Now a guy makes a movie outta it based on the legend or the book? who knows.

So anyone heard of that Work by Shakespere that is being auctioned out? Its like 400 years old and it was sold before for 2.1 million dollars now its being.......awww who the hell would care LOL. its Hamlet!

edit
Oh and in reply to whoever thats on top of me

Its no coincidence. I guess the makers of the anime didnt want to get sued or something else. The creators of Helsing probaly knew about the book and probaly read it too. They probaly wanted the idea of Helsing but didnt wanna copy the whole book or something like that.

I guess every one missed the smiley face.....
MasafumiGotoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-14, 16:01   Link #7
Thyrz
Laidback Luke

I asked someone the very same question the other day, I haven't seen the anime myself >< I'ma kill that bastard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhia
are u sure its just coincidence or is there a reason behind it???

hehehe..
Heh good one
Old 2004-04-14, 16:41   Link #8
daliinn

alright so the Van Hellsing is NOT a live-action movie of Hellsing right?
daliinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-14, 16:43   Link #9
AnimeFangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxNarutoFanxX
Van Helsing was said to be started as a legend. Then written to a book. Then borrowed it, made a slight alteration to the name and made to an anime.
Except, of course, the legend I'm referring to is NOT the legend of Van Helsing but rather the legend of Dracula. Ever heard of him? <--- smiley face for you. Van Helsing is not a figure in the ORIGINAL legend about Dracula but is rather a figure created by Bram Stoker for his novel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daliinn
Not as far as I know, no. I've only seen the trailer once but I'm pretty sure it's not.
Old 2004-04-14, 16:56   Link #10
MwyC

Send a message via AIM to MwyC Send a message via MSN to MwyC
although there isnt really any direct relation between the movie and the anime
Hellsing (the person) is mentioned in the anime a few times
MwyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-14, 18:58   Link #11
Lst2touchdasky

Send a message via AIM to Lst2touchdasky
How does The Impaler relate to hellsing? was there actually character in history related to the impaler which was Dracula's model?
Lst2touchdasky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-14, 19:13   Link #12
dbzgundam
A-Blitz Founder/Encoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lst2touchdasky
How does The Impaler relate to hellsing? was there actually character in history related to the impaler which was Dracula's model?
Supposedly the impaler IS dracula.
dbzgundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-14, 19:34   Link #13
MasafumiGotoh

Name is Vlad I think? Vlad the Impaler. Any way you can search for that. There was a real Dracula. I guess the vampire stuff was based on his doing or soemthing like that.

Edit
Wait a minute Vlad III Dracula was his name. Guess people liked his reputation for Impaling.

Strange thing is that when he died, some years later his coffin was missing. I guess that was what made a certain person write a book of vampires? That could also explain that you had to impale his heart so he can die.

Double edit
Ok they dug up the the place he was buried in 1931 but the book was written in 1800s
MasafumiGotoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-14, 23:25   Link #14
MwyC

Send a message via AIM to MwyC Send a message via MSN to MwyC
vladdie was given his nickname cause he impaled his enemies, from the ass to the mouth on huge spikes which he mounted around his dining table
the end of hellsing hints at arucard's identity this way

whether this is legend or truth, who knows?
MwyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-15, 21:10   Link #15
Lst2touchdasky

Send a message via AIM to Lst2touchdasky
I know- dracula is the impaler, but how does hellsing have a spot in history- or was he just completely fictional?
Lst2touchdasky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-16, 00:58   Link #16
momojigari
Great I-Jin

Van Helsing looks more like the guy in Vampire Hunter D (anime).
momojigari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-16, 11:30   Link #17
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Okay! I've had about enough of this... Coincidentally, I'm now under the impression that people don't like read books or do a little research before they post.

Quote:
I was just curious, is the new movie "Van Hellsing" any bit related to the anime or is it merely coincidence?
Quote:
I'll give you the truth, straight up... No it is not. The movie Van Hellsing's only connection to the anime called Hellsing is that both are derivitive works of Bram Stoker's Dracula. Hellsing, the anime, more or less makes a mockery of the book. Van Hellsing on the other hand in based on the novel Lord of the Vampires by Jeanne Kalogridis and is, by far, one of the best sequel/prequel stories for Dracula that I have ever had the pleasure reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lst2touchdasky
I know- dracula is the impaler, but how does hellsing have a spot in history- or was he just completely fictional?
Abraham Van Hellsing is, for the most part, a legend. Vlad's half brother, yes it's true, he was charged with finding and slaying him after his body went missing. The Hellsing family is/was an off shoot of the Dracul family (Dracul is the family name, Dracula implies Son of Dracul) and for such reasons was given the task of killing Vlad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McwY
vladdie was given his nickname cause he impaled his enemies, from the ass to the mouth on huge spikes which he mounted around his dining table
the end of hellsing hints at arucard's identity this way

whether this is legend or truth, who knows?
It is historical fact. Not only did he impale his enemies but men, women, children, gypsies and vagrants from the peasant town he was lord over were also impaled. I don't know about him placing them around his dining room table, but the hill, atop his castle sat, was covered in spikes and corpses. The legendary part is that he placed a bowl under each spike, collected the dripping blood then drank it as wine with his meals.

Within the novel, Lord of Vampires, there is some information that implies Alucard might actually be Vlad III Dracula. One of the topics covered in the novel is the vampire Elisabeth Bathory's (A real person... A 15th century countess from Romania, doomed to death in a small cell after having murdered roughly 650 virgins in order to bath in their blood or for her own consumption) quest to find the magic parchment that makes Vlad immortal. Thanks to this parchment, no matter what happens to him, he cannot be killed. This strongly supports why everyone in the anime Hellsing called Alucard "Alucard the Immortal."

Quote:
Name is Vlad I think? Vlad the Impaler. Any way you can search for that. There was a real Dracula. I guess the vampire stuff was based on his doing or soemthing like that.

Edit
Wait a minute Vlad III Dracula was his name. Guess people liked his reputation for Impaling.
His full name is: Vlad III Dracula, Son of Dracul, Prince of Wallachia Bucharest, Curtea Domneasca.

The "The Impaler" part is only his reputation.

Quote:
That could also explain that you had to impale his heart so he can die.
You're supposed to drive a spike throught the person's chest when they are burried, doesn't have to be the heart, so that even if they come back to life after being burried they will not be able to rise. Basically you are supposed to use the spike to pin them to the ground. The reasoning is, with them pinned down, they won't be able to feed and eventually die of starvation.

In any event, the movie is not related to the anime nor is it a live-action version of the series. Given the book it's based on it should be very good...

/me wonders if they left all the sex in it...
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-16, 11:40   Link #18
Thyrz
Laidback Luke

I just noticed that it's Van Helsing, not Van Hellsing...