AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-09-24, 23:06   Link #61
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatth View Post
Actually, the Organization are the only ones who have no means to know what is going to happen in the future.
That's debatable.
Spoiler for Volumes 8, 9:

Not to mention Itsuki always seems to be one of the first to find out about everything happening. Remember how in Sigh he showed up to discredit Mikuru while her own words were still ringing in Kyon's ears.
Old 2009-09-25, 18:08   Link #62
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
That's debatable.
Spoiler for Volumes 8, 9:

Not to mention Itsuki always seems to be one of the first to find out about everything happening. Remember how in Sigh he showed up to discredit Mikuru while her own words were still ringing in Kyon's ears.
Can you say any other exemple?

Spoiler for same:

For all we know, they have no means to know the future. Itsuki [/I]could[/I] be lying, obviously. However, this is just speculation.

For Itsuki knowing everything. He usually get it aftr the hing happening. I don't remember any time it seen as he, or a mate, know what is going to happen. Sighs is a good exemple, he only find about the doves in the next day.
Old 2009-09-26, 02:59   Link #63
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatth View Post
Can you say any other exemple?

Spoiler for same:

For all we know, they have no means to know the future. Itsuki [/I]could[/I] be lying, obviously. However, this is just speculation.

For Itsuki knowing everything. He usually get it aftr the hing happening. I don't remember any time it seen as he, or a mate, know what is going to happen. Sighs is a good exemple, he only find about the doves in the next day.
Of course it's speculation. That's the point. We don't know anything about the Organization, or even what constitutes an esper, much less what the Organization's "hiring requirements" are. They are by far the group we know the least about.
Old 2009-09-26, 17:19   Link #64
Heatth

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Of course it's speculation. That's the point. We don't know anything about the Organization, or even what constitutes an esper, much less what the Organization's "hiring requirements" are. They are by far the group we know the least about.
I disagree. That "honor" goes to the Time-Travelers to me. We know 'two' agents who kinda tell oposite things (and, to make it worse, they are both the same person). The one who aparently knows more don't talk too much.

Anyway, just pointing something purelly based in speculation can't really be used as an argument
Spoiler for Charmed:

For all we know, there is no different kind of power in the ESPer of the Organization. Unless Itsuki is lieing. While this is a big possibility, we can't base a discussion on it, since it is kinda pointless(he can lie about anything, after all).

Well, what I can agree is what you said might be a possibility. But discussing it is impossible, cause it has to assume our only source of information is untruthful.
Old 2009-11-22, 21:23   Link #65
Dr. Casey

Bumping this because Koizumi deserves better than a 63 post thread.

Let's discuss Itsuki Koizumi, everyone.
Old 2009-11-22, 21:31   Link #66
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

Send a message via MSN to AmyElizzabeth
I wonder, why is he always in Kyon's personal space?
I like him more than Mikuru, for unknown reasons. And I also think his smile is sexeh ;p
Old 2009-11-22, 21:32   Link #67
worldruined
power tends to corrupt

Send a message via AIM to worldruined
I blame myself. Sometime back, I had an epic pages-upon-pages reply typed up... and stupidly managed to erase it. I'm still not sure I'm over that loss.
Old 2009-11-29, 01:28   Link #68
FerrisWheel
Earl of Cookies
*Author

Itsuki is my favorite character at this point.
I'm curious though,to what his real personality is,he may see it as "less pleasing" but it's proabably awesome. I see it as being really angsty and or badass. Any other opinions?

I think gradually,he's grown to care a lot for Haruhi and I smell a future love triangle between Haruhi/Kyon/Itsuki. He did snap at Kyon when he called her "useless person who only causes trouble for everyone". Or something to that effect.

I really just want more development of him. He's such an intriguing character that has to play second fiddle.
Old 2009-11-29, 02:20   Link #69
FerrisWheel
Earl of Cookies
*Author

Quote:
We know little to nothing about Koizumi's background and family situation. In Sighs, the scene by the pond is described as being "near Koizumi-kun's place", but it's never specified whether it's his apartment alone or his family's. (And despite its close proximity, they head to Tsuruya's house afterward instead of his.)
My guess is its a small apartment or dormroom or something to that akin.

Quote:
I've seen a couple different suggestions with (as far as I know) no real support to back them up -- one, that Koizumi was orphaned at some point and has no other family, thus the Organization literally "adopting" him so to speak. Another is that the Organization kidnapped him once they realized what he was. Another possibility might be that his family became part of the Organization after that day three (four) years ago. Or maybe, if he does indeed have a family, they're completely unaware of his powers and his connection with a frighteningly powerful and manipulative secret society.
Eh,it could be either of them,though his mentioning of a family sometime in the future as a wish leads me to believe he may have lost his own. I'm guessing he was "adopted" by the organization. Or,they sort of kidnapped him with some sort of lame excuse (he's been accepted to an extremely prestegious secret boarding school! We'll take him off yer hands now kthxbai)

Quote:
What do you think? Are there other possibilities? Koizumi suggests that gaining esper powers was akin to winning the lottery -- random, with no other prerequisites. But do you suppose that Haruhi (assuming the theory that Haruhi-is-god and thus is responsible for the creation of espers) could have leaned more towards a certain type of person than another? That is, could she have preferred a tragic backstory for her chosen espers (those who became espers were orphans or had really horrible childhoods or some other heart-rending history) or a completely normal one (everyone she chose was utterly normal, with typical family and typical interests, that just happened to have bizarreness thrust upon them)?
My theory is that she didn't handpick them persay,but her powers were more likely to come to people who didn't want to be ordinary to begin with,whether consiously,or subconsiously. She in short gave the powers to people who wanted to be special,much like Haruhi herself.
Old 2009-11-29, 02:23   Link #70
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Actually, the way Koizumi talks, it sounds like he would much rather NOT be an Esper. He doesn't want to have to go out and beat up giants every night.

In some ways, he's rather a foil to Kyon...
Old 2009-11-29, 02:30   Link #71
FerrisWheel
Earl of Cookies
*Author

While fighting blue giants might not be fun,it certainly doesn't leave you bored on saturday nights.
Old 2009-12-05, 01:03   Link #72
FerrisWheel
Earl of Cookies
*Author

Does anyone else think that Koizumi and Tsuruya would make a nice off-center couple?
I mean they both have this really mysterious air to them,you can't really quite pinpoint anything on either of them. They have a lot of similarities. The fact that her family also supports Itsuki's organization also means he wouldn't have to hide himself as much with her. She'd be all like "Silly Koizumi,I see right through your facade! nyoro~n"

Sorryfortherandomshippingigetlikethiswhenimbored.
Old 2009-12-05, 02:05   Link #73
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

You know, people often like to squish the two together as a pair-the-spares reflex, but I just don't see it, personally. Certainly, to get a conclusive answer about whether or not they have the necessary chemistry, one would want to see them interacting directly much more, at least as much as Kyon and Tsuruya have. That being said, I don't see what could be drawn from those two characters that would make them click even given more contact.

I'll go a step further and say that I don't really see Itsuki being in a position to have a relationship with anyone in the near future, really. He's too deeply immersed in the character he has created for himself for a connection on that level to be viable. Between that and the fact that any person he was with would always come second to his duties concerning Haruhi and Kyon...the only person I could think of who is removed and contained enough to be okay with an arrangement like that is Kimidori Emiri, though she'd probably only do that to create an appearance if necessary, since she otherwise doesn't get involved with the Brigade members directly.
Old 2009-12-05, 02:10   Link #74
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Controversy View Post
You know, people often like to squish the two together as a pair-the-spares reflex, but I just don't see it, personally. Certainly, to get a conclusive answer about whether or not they have the necessary chemistry, one would want to see them interacting directly much more, at least as much as Kyon and Tsuruya have. That being said, I don't see what could be drawn from those two characters that would make them click even given more contact.

You can't tell me that isn't cute.
Old 2009-12-05, 02:12   Link #75
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post

You can't tell me that isn't cute.
Oh yes I can.

It isn...isn...it is noaawwwrrrrrhhnnngggggrrrrrraaaah!

*Explodes*
Old 2009-12-05, 07:44   Link #76
WordShaker
In scientific terms only.

Send a message via MSN to WordShaker
Ah, I remember that. *saves for future usage*

By the by, RC, your Protomen signature wins the day.
Old 2010-01-23, 21:10   Link #77
edkedkedk
Hare Hare Sera Fuku!

Got a question that has been bothering me for some time now. It isn't about Koizumi per se, but rather his abilities as a whole. It's said that he, like several others, are ESPers. I went along with it as well. However, when I looked at the Japanese name for ESPers, 超能人 (did I get it right), it basically means super-powered people.

This came as a surprise because I always thought ESPers were a specified group of powered-humans (Imagine my shock when I saw Koizumi flying around and shooting balls of energy). So here's my question; where did the term ESPer come from? Has it been used from the start of the series/subs, and confirmed to be the official translation?
Old 2010-01-23, 21:17   Link #78
Heatth

Quote:
Originally Posted by edkedkedk View Post
his came as a surprise because I always thought ESPers were a specified group of powered-humans (Imagine my shock when I saw Koizumi flying around and shooting balls of energy). So here's my question; where did the term ESPer come from? Has it been used from the start of the series/subs, and confirmed to be the official translation?
Pretty much (I beleive the word is 超能力者, tough). Actually, I heard the official translation used some fan translation (They should have done that with the IDE). Anyway, another common translation is to psychic, which is a somewhat better translation, from what I heard.

Also, japanese use 'ESPer' ('esupaa') as a loan word, so in the end translating chounouryokusha is kinda silly.
Old 2010-01-23, 21:21   Link #79
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by edkedkedk View Post
This came as a surprise because I always thought ESPers were a specified group of powered-humans (Imagine my shock when I saw Koizumi flying around and shooting balls of energy). So here's my question; where did the term ESPer come from? Has it been used from the start of the series/subs, and confirmed to be the official translation?
It's "Esper", not "ESPer", although the term does originate from ESP.

More here.

The term has been used since subs of the show first began circulating, and influenced the later official translations.

It's notable that the term "esper" is actually used in the original Japanese, but only once. In the beginning Melancholy VI, when Kyon is mocking Koizumi, he refers to the Organization as the "Shounen Esper Sentai", in parody of the typical title of a Power Rangers-type show.
Old 2010-01-23, 21:29   Link #80
edkedkedk
Hare Hare Sera Fuku!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
It's "Esper", not "ESPer", although the term does originate from ESP.

More here.

The term has been used since subs of the show first began circulating, and influenced the later official translations.

It's notable that the term "esper" is actually used in the original Japanese, but only once. In the beginning Melancholy VI, when Kyon is mocking Koizumi, he refers to the Organization as the "Shounen Esper Sentai", in parody of the typical title of a Power Rangers-type show.
Ah I see. No wonder, I always found it weird that people used Esper instead of ESPer. Turns out they are two different fields of powers.

So the translation is just a thing that carried on... I guess that clears up my doubts. Though now I think there are more of Koizumi's types all over the world with different powers, given the umbrella-like nature of his classification.
Closed Thread

Tags
characters