I have notice on nearly all fansub I download and try to convert
over to dvd that the subtitles are are nearly always below the screen
making the fansub useless to those who dont have a computer
I know that it is hard to believe but not everyone has a computer
Methen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-17, 08:35   Link #2
SomeName
~ notoriously off topic ~

I think you have the wrong idea about what the suggestion forum is used for. Here, people give anime recommendations to others.

I can try to address your first comment though. There's usually only one screen size - it's the same resolution at which the anime is originally captured in. If it's a recent movie it'll more than likely be widescreen, and if it's a TV series, it'll more than likely be full screen.

Regarding your second comment, this wouldn't be the place to voice that concern since this isn't a forum where fansubbers are likely to frequent. If you really want to be heard by a particular fansub group, you might want to try each their IRC channel or their own forums. I don't think what you're asking for is in very high demand though.
SomeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-17, 08:45   Link #3
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

(Edit: Looks like xris moved it just as I was about to )...

While I hesitate to preempt GHDpro (who has final say on site developments, as he is the only one writing the site software at the moment) I doubt we will be able to implement/help with your suggestions.

Here is why:

1. As all torrents listed on the site are added by hand (to tightly control the links we list) adding this sort of information would require us to download all of the videos(!) We simply don't have the time or capacity to do that. Even if it were automated, we would need the fansubbers to provide this information on their torrent pages OR have a script download the videos. The first is unlikely to happen and even if it did would result in gaps in the listing -- making it pretty useless. The other would also suffer from bandwidth capacity problems (only worse as the server would be the only one downloading). Basically it isn't practical.

2. You can fix this yourself with a suitable encoding/burning process -- many people do -- so the motivation to change current practice isn't there... nothing in it for the fansubbers. Ignoring that for a moment... the staff here have no official influence over fansubbers and this probably isn't the best place to post to get their attention with such a suggestion. Though they may visit and may take your suggestion on board. No harm in trying I guess...
(Edit2: What SomeName said...)
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-17, 10:02   Link #4
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

1) NightWish already explained it pretty much. It's basically to much work to download
and check each episode. While most shows are either broadcast in widescreen or "fullscreen"
formats, some shows (like REC or Rozen Maiden) aired fullscreen (4:3) on some stations
and widescreen (16:9) on other stations, so whether a fansub is FS or WS can differ even
for the same episode of the same series.

2) Most encoders will probably tell you to #$#$%#$. At least based on the comments
of a few encoders, they are proud of their work so their primary intention is that the
fansubs are watched untouched on the medium they intend it to be viewed on: the PC.
They're not likely to give help you if you want to re-encode it to some other format.

Now I'm personally also encoding everything over to DVD -- the trick is to add borders
during the encoding process, so that those borders are cut off by your TV and the full
picture (including subtitles) of the fansub remains visible. For an explaination + scripts etc
of how I encode fansubs to DVD see the sticky thread in the "Tech Support" forum.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote