AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-07-21, 14:49   Link #1
Sin of Memories
あなたが忘れられない

Send a message via AIM to Sin of Memories Send a message via MSN to Sin of Memories Send a message via Yahoo to Sin of Memories
Oi, I am having a problem with finding anime that keeps my attention....

So far after watching Clannad, all anime after it seem to be mind numbing to me. I am currently trying to watch Toaru Majutsu no Index but I lost interest after episode 6 when I found it so interesting. @_@ I have also watched Air, but completely lost all interest after episode 11 I think.

Kanon kept my interest and I enjoyed.

What is going on here? Suggestions? Maybe I need to take a break for a while from anime and manga in general? My mind just seems numb to it all...

I am not looking for an anime. I am looking for a suggestion as to what to do about being numbed. I think I need to take a break.

Last edited by Sin of Memories; 2010-07-21 at 15:45.
Old 2010-07-21, 15:05   Link #2
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Have you watched Seto no Hanayome?
FMP: fumoffu?
Old 2010-07-21, 15:46   Link #3
Sin of Memories
あなたが忘れられない

Send a message via AIM to Sin of Memories Send a message via MSN to Sin of Memories Send a message via Yahoo to Sin of Memories
Not what I am asking for
Old 2010-07-21, 15:51   Link #4
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Well could you just be a bit more specific. Why exactly do you have this mind numbing problem? What was it about Clannad that made you lose interest in other anime? If it's not Clannad then it's either some external factor or you just picked the wrong anime. Considering you had no problem with Kanon it must simply be the anime and you just need an anime that'll keep your interest all the way through (which could pretty much be just about any anime. It's impossible to recommend any one.) You're not exactly the first to lose interest in To Aru after episode 6.
Old 2010-07-21, 15:58   Link #5
Sin of Memories
あなたが忘れられない

Hm... Well lately I have even lost interest in D.Gray-man I love it. Same for a lot of my manga that I read. @_@ I think I just need to take a break because I all have done for the past week is watch anime XD
Old 2010-07-21, 16:03   Link #6
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Well, I tend to view Clannad as being the best in its particular category of anime, which is an emotionally impacting romantic comedy with strong slice-of-life and harem elements.

So I can see where you're coming from.

Kanon 2006 is probably the closet anime in genre, feel, and mood to it, but you've already watched that...

If you don't care about losing the harem aspect you could try out Kimi ni Todoke.

If you don't mind a lot of added action, you could try out Angel Beats!

Aside from them, I already recommended True Tears.

Oh, and I know that a lot of Clannad fans also like Cross Game.

Clannad really is a tough anime to find a good follow-up to, though.
Old 2010-07-21, 16:30   Link #7
Samurai dono
Anti-Manga Squad

Location: Anti-manga Corps Headquarters - Assassination Division
Time's a good healer.

Just as Triple_R pointed out, Clannad is probably the best in its genre and by LIGHT years ! So it's only natural that if the genre appealed to you the series should have quite an impact on you, that not even an equivalently good anime can do anything about. What you need right now is more of Nagisa and (what was the guy's name ?!), or that tough student council girl. And since I'm assuming you've already watched After Story and the OVA (there was one, right ?), I suggest that you take a break now. Coz you're only gonna spoil any good animes you try to use to get out of this phase.

I remember going through this phase after watching Clannad, FMA, and I'm sorry to admit, Bleach .. I'm sure a few others as well, but those are the ones that pop to mind

Patience my good friend, time's a good healer ..
Old 2010-07-21, 16:45   Link #8
JRendell
Manga Addict

^ Time is a good healer indeed. Stick with some anime, particularly To Aru and D.Gray Man, simply because they are brilliant.

Don't be afraid to try out anime with different genres to that of Clannad.
Old 2010-07-21, 17:05   Link #9
Nightt
☠ Lord of the Things ☠
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Nightt
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRendell View Post
Agreed and seconded. Try out some anime with comedy, like Gintama and/or One Piece. If you watch anime of other genres, you'll be sure to forget about the whole romance/slice-of-life thing, and in a while, you'll watch any genre that comes your way.
Old 2010-07-21, 17:05   Link #10
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai dono View Post
Time's a good healer.

Just as Triple_R pointed out, Clannad is probably the best in its genre and by LIGHT years !
Agreed.

For folks who like romantic comedies best of all, Clannad is as good as it gets. If I liked romantic comedies more than action-oriented animes, Clannad would be my favorite anime of all-time. Even as is, I'd put Clannad in my Top 10, and I'm a guy who loves action.

Quote:
So it's only natural that if the genre appealed to you the series should have quite an impact on you, that not even an equivalently good anime can do anything about. What you need right now is more of Nagisa and (what was the guy's name ?!), or that tough student council girl. And since I'm assuming you've already watched After Story and the OVA (there was one, right ?),
Tomoyo After, I think it was called. It was an AU OVA for Clannad. It is pretty good. If you like Clannad, it's definitely worth checking out (especially if Tomoyo is one of your favorite Clannad characers).

Quote:
I suggest that you take a break now. Coz you're only gonna spoil any good animes you try to use to get out of this phase.

I remember going through this phase after watching Clannad, FMA, and I'm sorry to admit, Bleach .. I'm sure a few others as well, but those are the ones that pop to mind
Don't feel bad about Bleach. For sheer visual appeal, Bleach is the best of the long-running shonen titles, imo.

SofM, I agree with Samurai dono that it might be best to take a break from romantic comedy animes, since watching them so soon after Clannad might make it harder to appreciate them for their own strengths.

However, I agree with J Rendell about keeping up with D.Gray Man and To Aru. Maybe just an episode or two of each a day.
Old 2010-07-21, 17:12   Link #11
Sin of Memories
あなたが忘れられない

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRendell View Post
^ Time is a good healer indeed. Stick with some anime, particularly To Aru and D.Gray Man, simply because they are brilliant.

That is something there is not a problem with. I think it is more along the fact I need a break like everyone else is saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Agreed.

For folks who like romantic comedies best of all, Clannad is as good as it gets. If I liked romantic comedies more than action-oriented animes, Clannad would be my favorite anime of all-time. Even as is, I'd put Clannad in my Top 10, and I'm a guy who loves action.

Tomoyo After, I think it was called. It was an AU OVA for Clannad. It is pretty good. If you like Clannad, it's definitely worth checking out (especially if Tomoyo is one of your favorite Clannad characers).

Don't feel bad about Bleach. For sheer visual appeal, Bleach is the best of the long-running shonen titles, imo.

SofM, I agree with Samurai dono that it might be best to take a break from romantic comedy animes, since watching them so soon after Clannad might make it harder to appreciate them for their own strengths.

However, I agree with J Rendell about keeping up with D.Gray Man and To Aru. Maybe just an episode or two of each a day.

Thank you. You pretty much summed up the conclusion that I came to as well. +rep to all of you for the help.
Old 2010-07-21, 20:51   Link #12
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
I would suggest either taking a break or switching to a very different genre of anime.

That way you can watch some high quality anime without comparing it to Clannad.

Some possibilities:

Les Miserables - Shoujo Cosette

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2010-07-21, 21:27   Link #13
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin of Memories View Post
So far after watching Clannad, all anime after it seem to be mind numbing to me. I am currently trying to watch Toaru Majutsu no Index but I lost interest after episode 6 when I found it so interesting. @_@ I have also watched Air, but completely lost all interest after episode 11 I think.

Kanon kept my interest and I enjoyed.
While I agree with the general consensus you probably need a break, I must note that I enjoyed the two "Air in Summer" OVAs far more than the TV series itself (they're more comedic), and you only need to watch one more episode of the TV series to finish it since episode 13 is a recap.

I don't think Clannad is going to ruin your anime appetite in the long term, although I should mention that unlike many others I don't consider Clannad to be the best in its genre. Most likely you just tried to binge too much anime in a short period of time... I know I had to take a break after trying to watch a ton of anime in one week the one time I tried it

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
Old 2010-07-21, 21:54   Link #14
Sin of Memories
あなたが忘れられない

I thought clannad was great ^_^ But yeah I need a break because I am basically bored of anime and manga right now.
Old 2010-07-21, 22:56   Link #15
NoLongerSane

Quote:
I thought clannad was great ^_^ But yeah I need a break because I am basically bored of anime and manga right now.
Well, when you come back from your break I could recommend to you the spastic antics of Excel Saga.
Old 2010-07-21, 23:02   Link #16
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Clannad is great, I just happen to be part of the camp that disputes its "best in genre" status.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
Old 2010-07-21, 23:22   Link #17
Sin of Memories
あなたが忘れられない

<.< I say it is really good but I am not going to say that it is best in its genre because I have not seen a bunch to fully state that.
Old 2010-07-22, 06:47   Link #18
Samurai dono
Anti-Manga Squad

Location: Anti-manga Corps Headquarters - Assassination Division
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Clannad is great, I just happen to be part of the camp that disputes its "best in genre" status.
Oh how I would LOVE to respond to you from that other camp on the opposite bank, except that I've only seen like 4 romantic comedies in my entire anime life, and I have nothing to argue with
Old 2010-07-22, 13:29   Link #19
Sin of Memories
あなたが忘れられない

<.< I have seen a few, but I am not good with words so....
Old 2010-07-22, 22:20   Link #20
Seiryuu

Nothing wrong with being bored with anime/manga (heretic). Read a book. Watch a movie. Spend a week actively avoiding everything Japanese.

If that doesn't work, one thing I found sometimes helps in its own bizarre way is to watch an anime that's not just outside my genre, but either so simple yet oddly amusing that there's no room for thought, allowing one to veg and spend half an hour just forgetting about comparing shows or seeking interest, or find a show that's so bad that you want to laugh until you cry at the very fact that someone actually wrote it. For these, best to choose shows that are short and relatively episode-independent.
I love interesting works, but sometimes I just get tired of thinking about things, and then I can enjoy watching a pointless, over-the-top slapstick or a show that reaches epic levels of head-banging absurd stupidity. First recommendation: Cosmopolitan Prayers. You can't get dumber, more pointless, shorter, or less mentally stimulating than that, unless you go on to its sequels (esp. LoveLove). Completely pointless parodies also work if you're up for it, things like Eiken (though you should know that that show can lead almost anyone to find a new appreciation of the Pettanko).

One other thing that can work is watching with a club or even just a friend. A friend's viewpoints, and their reactions to the things that happen, can make things more fun. Not to mention it's generally pleasant to enjoy interests with kindred spirits who you know through more than just text.
Closed Thread