5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 4.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2016-11-20, 08:58   Link #21
Skye629

Why do I have this funny feeling all of McGillis' ambitions are stemming from a book about the Calamity War? More likely than not too one that has been romanticized to some degree?

Note that he refers to the story of Agnika as a "legend". Its based on a real person snd real events, but is not entirely true, as the actual facts have been lost, warped, or romanticized over time as the story is passed through generations

That and some personal sense of justice/duty

And as for his upbringing....what if he was adopted because of blood lineage to Agnika??? Its possible that Agnika never had a dedicated family in the 7, or the blood weakened as generations went on, while other bloodlines remained strong OUTSIDE of the 7. I can see Izanario making a move like this, as it WOULD add substantial significance to his position

If such is true, and Mcgillis was aware of it, that could explain his extended knowledge and interest in the Calamity War, and the things tied to it.
Skye629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-20, 08:59   Link #22
bryanmerel

It just felt unsetling. Mika asked Orga about how he felt relieved that Takaki left Tekadan, asking him why is aking to state that:
1. Mika unconsciously felt the inevitable blood shed of Orga's decision, and Takaki leaving means one precious life safe from it.
and,
2. A hint, that even someone as loyal as Mika felt the risk of Orga's decision. That on this path, even Mika isn't quite confident that they are cut for it.
bryanmerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-20, 09:00   Link #23
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxbox360 View Post
Don't trust chocolate man, he betray his own friends to get where he at and will probably screw over Tekkendan if things are not going his way.
One thing about McGillis is that even if the gullible people that he's tricking don't know they're being manipulated, the audience always does. I know that McGillis was manipulating Gaelio pretty much since they were first introduced. And honestly, I think we paint Gaelio and Carta as much more martyrs then they really were. Carta you knew was going to die no matter what McGillis did. She killed Biscuit. She signed her own death warrant. As for Gaelio, I felt a bit more for him, but he definitely had his issues too. And to be fair, both would have followed in their parents footsteps and continued the travesty that is the Seven Stars. Gaelio didn't like some things that he saw sure, but he reminds me a lot more of Iok. He's more of a follower than anything else. I highly doubt he would have even noticed if McGillis hadn't mentioned it first.

But anyway, we also know that McGillis is being truthful since we've seen the truth for ourselves. We've seen him give whole monologues from last season on how he admires Tekkadan and that he sees the promise of the future in them. Basically the same thing he told Orga here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
This episode is about the choices Tekkadan and Kudelia make when presented with options.

Wait McGillis' whole plan is to get rid of Gjallarhorn's corrupt element perhaps the whole 7 Stars and leave Orga holding the bag... Nope Orga that is a bad deal. You and Tekkadan taking Gjallarhorn's place means you answer to everybody!

I don't think you've got that plan quite right. McGillis is going to get rid of the 7 Stars, take over and then put Orga and Tekkadan in charge of Mars Branch Gjallarhorn. Basically giving them Mars to protect. No "holding the bag" called for. Everyone would know it was McGillis since he would be the only one of the 7 left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
With this choice, he actually came full circle as Biscuit's successor by choosing to leave Tekkadan, prioritizing the happiness of his real family and avoiding dangerous jobs that can tear apart his sister's current happiness like what Cookie & Cracker suffered.
So does this mean that Takaki will have the same change of heart that Biscuit had and come back to Tekkadan? Because, I'm hoping this isn't the last we see him, and I get the feeling that a salaryman job isn't for him.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-20, 09:04   Link #24
bryanmerel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye629 View Post
Why do I have this funny feeling all of McGillis' ambitions are stemming from a book about the Calamity War? More likely than not too one that has been romanticized to some degree?

Note that he refers to the story of Agnika as a "legend". Its based on a real person snd real events, but is not entirely true, as the actual facts have been lost, warped, or romanticized over time as the story is passed through generations

That and some personal sense of justice/duty

And as for his upbringing....what if he was adopted because of blood lineage to Agnika??? Its possible that Agnika never had a dedicated family in the 7, or the blood weakened as generations went on, while other bloodlines remained strong OUTSIDE of the 7. I can see Izanario making a move like this, as it WOULD add substantial significance to his position

If such is true, and Mcgillis was aware of it, that could explain his extended knowledge and interest in the Calamity War, and the things tied to it.
I have that exact same thought.
Old 2016-11-20, 09:04   Link #25
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Omg yes. yes yes yes. Lafter x Akihiro is a thing. I wonder if Akihiro even feels the same way, though. lol

I wasn't expecting Takaki leaving. I get it, but I wished that he stayed. There could've been so much more character development for him if he had stayed.

Every time McGillis meets up with Tekkadan, I feel so uneasy. He talks up all this good stuff with Tekkadan becoming the king of Mars, but look what he did to Gaelio and Carta to execute his master plan. Orga's gotta watch his back now more than ever.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-20, 09:05   Link #26
Tormenk

Rustal was quite considerate of McG in the flashback once he noticed his bruises. I liked that they didn't make him into a jack-ass just because he's supposed to be the current antagonist.

"Are you afraid of change? Or are you afraid to change?"

"Wheel turns, river flows and life goes on."

"Best way to kill a man, is to leave him alone."

"Until you come, until we close our eyes."

Tormenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-20, 09:06   Link #27
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanmerel View Post
It just felt unsetling. Mika asked Orga about how he felt relieved that Takaki left Tekadan, asking him why is aking to state that:
1. Mika unconsciously felt the inevitable blood shed of Orga's decision, and Takaki leaving means one precious life safe from it.
and,
2. A hint, that even someone as loyal as Mika felt the risk of Orga's decision. That on this path, even Mika isn't quite confident that they are cut for it.
I think that scene showed two things. First it reaffirms how stunted Mika's emotional growth is in that he has to ask Orga why he has this feeling, showing once again how Mika outsources a lot of his thinking processes to Orga.

But also, I think it was more so because he didn't want Takaki to turn into a person like him. Everyone has acknowledged that Takaki is one of the most kind and innocent of the Tekkadan family. He had to take some really dark turns of late, and I think that to a degree Mika realized that he didn't want that for Takaki.
I don't think it had to really deal with Orga at all, but Takaki getting away from the violence before he becomes unmoved by it all like Mika tends to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormenk View Post
Rustal was quite considerate of McG in the flashback once he noticed his bruises. I liked that they didn't make him into a jack-ass just because he's supposed to be the current antagonist.
I think that while Rustal is a psychopathic jerk who will start wars on a whim just for political maneuvers, he does have a soft spot for kids who are in trouble. I mean look at Julietta.
And because of that Rustal had no problem with how McGillis handled his abusive "father". But now he doesn't like what else McGillis is doing to Gjallarhorn.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2016-11-20, 09:14   Link #28
bryanmerel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
I think that scene showed two things. First it reaffirms how stunted Mika's emotional growth is in that he has to ask Orga why he has this feeling, showing once again how Mika outsources a lot of his thinking processes to Orga.

But also, I think it was more so because he didn't want Takaki to turn into a person like him. Everyone has acknowledged that Takaki is one of the most kind and innocent of the Tekkadan family. He had to take some really dark turns of late, and I think that to a degree Mika realized that he didn't want that for Takaki.
I don't think it had to really deal with Orga at all, but Takaki getting away from the violence before he becomes unmoved by it all like Mika tends to be.

I think that while Rustal is a psychopathic jerk who will start wars on a whim just for political maneuvers, he does have a soft spot for kids who are in trouble. I mean look at Julietta.
And because of that Rustal had no problem with how McGillis handled his abusive "father". But now he doesn't like what else McGillis is doing to Gjallarhorn.
Yeah i can see that too
Old 2016-11-20, 09:26   Link #29
Skaddix

I don't think there is ever going to be a real break between Orga and Mika.
Skaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-20, 09:44   Link #30
tdx

Quote:
We find out from a flashback that actually McGillis might not have been Iznario's child at all. So what was with that? Why did he bring in a total outsider? And if we go by the marks that Rustal caught a glimpse of, Iznario was also a child abuser on top of all the other horrible things he's done. I'm even beginning to wonder if it was only physical abuse, and there might have also been even more sinister things going on considering Iznario was hanging around another blond young boy last season that had the blank stare of someone who is being abused....

Oh, and child McGillis mentions Gundam Bael, what was up with that? And Rustal seemed to at least know what it was. Does Bael belong to one of the families? And how did kid McGillis even know about it at that age? Something interesting is going on here...
It's a pretty crazy idea, but I think I'm not the only it occured to. With McGillis being pretty much confirmed not to be related by blood to Fareeds, what if he is Agnika's descendant, which was the reason why Izanario adopted him in the first place? And Bael was the Gundam Agnika piloted, but for some reason it ended up in the Elion family's hands? Which would explain to a degree why McGillis wants to return Gjallarhorn to its original form, and why he knew the name of that Gundam even as a kid and demanded it.

Also, I have this feeling that Bael, color-wise, will be either the blackest Gundam we've seen so far, or, alternatively, the whitest one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaddix View Post
I assume Kudelia is staying on Mars though to act as a check to Orga. Considering she is the only one around with some actual Government Experience.
She has no choice now but to try and do exactly that. Or rather, based on its contents, her conversation with Makanai took place after Orga relaying McGillis' offer and expressing his desire to agree to it, so she was fully aware what she was getting into. She, like Takaki, had choices, and in her case, the other option was an excellent one: she didn't have to quit anything or even change her goals as even working as an Earth politician, she could have still been able to work on improving Mars' situation from the outside, so to speak, although only to a degree. But she chose to stick with Tekkadan, even if it leads to 'wrong results': she's not enthusiastic about the whole deal, but her conversation with Makanai shows she's resolved to do everything in her power to help and fight alongside Tekkadan. Her reasons for making such a choice is also an interesting speculation topic. I can think of two such reasons currently: it was established in season 1 that she really loves Mars and its people, so I think her wanting to take part personally in what will have a huge effect on Mars is not too much of a stretch; and second, it might be that staying on Earth and basically withdrawing from this affair is pretty much the same in her eyes as her abandoning Tekkadan in their time of dire need, even though they hadn't abandoned her back in the past, both initially on Mars and later on Earth in the course of the affair with Makanai.

Orga is being a bit unfair, btw, as he virtually left Kudelia no choice either: his bringing up the idea of Mars' independence when she tried to object was basically a declaration of 'we're jumping into your boat whether you want it or not' with no room to protest. It also doesn't help that outside her, Orga and Merribit, the total number of the Tekkadan members in the room able to process and estimate, however roughly, just what taking over a planet is and what consequences it will have is a big fat zero, which means they're very much useless in stopping Orga. Mika is the only one who could have, but alas, Kudelia simply got another confirmation that Mika doesn't like to think for himself about difficult things (this is her first time being somewhat upset about the fact though, no? it really might mean she's falling out of love with him, slowly but surely).

I wonder if Biscuit could stop Orga if he were alive... no, that's probably a no either. He couldn't stop him back on the island, he wouldn't be able to do it here either. And out of the others... Merribit can't even slow Orga down, let alone reign him in. Naze's words can probably have a lot of weight for Orga, but why do I have this feeling that Naze will rather side with him... so it really looks like that the thankless job of trying to curb Orga's recklessness and make him see reason will be on Kudelia, but I have to wonder just how willing to listen and understand he will be... Well, at least they can trust each other without the fear of being backstabbed, unlike with their other allies.
tdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-20, 09:50   Link #31
Skye629

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdx View Post
It's a pretty crazy idea, but I think I'm not the only it occured to. With McGillis being pretty much confirmed not to be related by blood to Fareeds, what if he is Agnika's descendant, which was the reason why Izanario adopted him in the first place? And Bael was the Gundam Agnika piloted, but for some reason it ended up in the Elion family's hands? Which would explain to a degree why McGillis wants to return Gjallarhorn to its original form, and why he knew the name of that Gundam even as a kid and demanded it.

Also, I have this feeling that Bael, color-wise, will be either the blackest Gundam we've seen so far, or, alternatively, the whitest one.

She has no choice now but to try and do exactly that. Or rather, based on its contents, her conversation with Makanai took place after Orga relaying McGillis' offer and expressing his desire to agree to it, so she was fully aware what she was getting into. She, like Takaki, had choices, and in her case, the other option was an excellent one: she didn't have to quit anything or even change her goals as even working as an Earth politician, she could have still been able to work on improving Mars' situation from the outside, so to speak, although only to a degree. But she chose to stick with Tekkadan, even if it leads to 'wrong results': she's not enthusiastic about the whole deal, but her conversation with Makanai shows she's resolved to do everything in her power to help and fight alongside Tekkadan. Her reasons for making such a choice is also an interesting speculation topic. I can think of two such reasons currently: it was established in season 1 that she really loves Mars and its people, so I think her wanting to take part personally in what will have a huge effect on Mars is not too much of a stretch; and second, it might be that staying on Earth and basically withdrawing from this affair is pretty much the same in her eyes as her abandoning Tekkadan in their time of dire need, even though they hadn't abandoned her back in the past, both initially on Mars and later on Earth in the course of the affair with Makanai.

Orga is being a bit unfair, btw, as he virtually left Kudelia no choice either: his bringing up the idea of Mars' independence when she tried to object was basically a declaration of 'we're jumping into your boat whether you want it or not' with no room to protest. It also doesn't help that outside her, Orga and Merribit, the total number of the Tekkadan members in the room able to process and estimate, however roughly, just what taking over a planet is and what consequences it will have is a big fat zero, which means they're very much useless in stopping Orga. Mika is the only one who could have, but alas, Kudelia simply got another confirmation that Mika doesn't like to think for himself about difficult things (this is her first time being somewhat upset about the fact though, no? it really might mean she's falling out of love with him, slowly but surely).

I wonder if Biscuit could stop Orga if he were alive... no, that's probably a no either. He couldn't stop him back on the island, he wouldn't be able to do it here either. And out of the others... Merribit can't even slow Orga down, let alone reign him in. Naze's words can probably have a lot of weight for Orga, but why do I have this feeling that Naze will rather side with him... so it really looks like that the thankless job of trying to curb Orga's recklessness and make him see reason will be on Kudelia, but I have to wonder just how willing to listen and understand he will be... Well, at least they can trust each other without the fear of being backstabbed, unlike with their other allies.
Agnika and Bael have never been officially connected, just putting it out there

And it probably wont be any blacker than Vual. Being blacker than that means completely black. Which wont happen. Im betting on some neutral color paired with gold
Skye629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-20, 09:56   Link #32
Tormenk

Quote:
Triggering the SAU-Arbrau war to ensnare and get rid of McG probably seem like a better scenario to Rustal, given he seems to have an inkling of how McG is trying to reform Gjarllarhorn through bloody revolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaddix View Post
I don't think there is ever going to be a real break between Orga and Mika.
When it happens, we'll know shit is going down in many different ways. By then Orga probably would have fucked things up so badly Mikazuki would have to make decisions for himself and those around him, something I think he's probably not that apt even with his examples of decisiveness.

"Are you afraid of change? Or are you afraid to change?"

"Wheel turns, river flows and life goes on."

"Best way to kill a man, is to leave him alone."

"Until you come, until we close our eyes."

Tormenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-20, 10:02   Link #33
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
So does this mean that Takaki will have the same change of heart that Biscuit had and come back to Tekkadan? Because, I'm hoping this isn't the last we see him, and I get the feeling that a salaryman job isn't for him.
Remember that Biscuit came back because Gjallarhorn was hot on their tails and there was no "safer place" that Biscuit could turn to at the time. Still, Biscuit's goal has always been to live a peaceful life with his sisters without the violence and bloodshed. In short: Biscuit never had a choice, Takaki does, and he took the route that Biscuit would've chosen if he's in Takaki's shoes. As for whether or not we'll be seeing him again, who knows? We just might.

Also, from this point on, the audience can practically blame Orga for any deaths of Tekkadan members due to battles in the future because now, they have a choice to just defend themselves while they manage and organize the huge mine they just got. But no. Orga chose an even (outrageusly) bigger goal this time (albeit with some others' blessings despite some vocal voices against it). If there are future battles caused by this very decision, the Tekkadan's blood will be even more on Orga's hands.
Old 2016-11-20, 10:17   Link #34
Skaddix

Meh come now there is no plot if Orga says nope McGillis I am cashing out. And the boys from Tekkadan go home to organize their mine and deal with internal Teiwaz BS. Meanwhile McGillis gets crushed.
Skaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-20, 10:23   Link #35
Twi

My episode review is up. I'm pretty satisfied with Takaki's decision. I mean, Biscuit didn't get that chance and I'd rather he be alive and away than dead and leaving someone behind.

And Orga already accepted the deaths of others were on his hands. He did that the moment he took over, with Chad mentioning that's what he must feel all the time. Anyone who doesn't like it has the chance to opt out like Takaki, showing that no one is being forced. They believe in him and he wants to aim for them to have their own place.

I wouldn't trust McGillis after what happened to his best friend, but he's the lesser of evils here.
Old 2016-11-20, 10:32   Link #36
Tenzen12

Orga IS responsible for most deaths among Tekkadan already. His job is "make battlefield his men will die on". Regardless every single member of Tekkadan has choice whether they will stick with him or not. I doubt there is much organizations (especially military like ones) with such lenient policies as Tekkadan
Old 2016-11-20, 10:35   Link #37
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormenk View Post
Triggering the SAU-Arbrau war to ensnare and get rid of McG probably seem like a better scenario to Rustal, given he seems to have an inkling of how McG is trying to reform Gjarllarhorn through bloody revolution.
I wouldn't call it a bloody revolution. That the whole reason McGillis has been doing all this plans and machinations to honestly get rid of corruption as cleanly as possible. He could have simply gotten an assassin to kill all the Seven Stars, but that would be meaningless in the long run. And consider how many missions Galan has gone on for Rustal. How many people have been killed simply for petty politics? There really is no comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdx View Post

If McGillis was that influential, then you'd have to wonder why he would treat him so horribly? I mean, Fareed practically adopted Carta too, but with how she turned out, he basically spoiled her.

And to be honest...I kind of have this weird feeling that Mika is supposed to be the descendent of Agnika. I mean, could Augus have come from Agnika at one point? And we know less about Mika's origin's prior to CGS, and definitely prior to Orga, than we do about McGillis'.

But again. just an idea...

Quote:

I think we have to decide, should she stop Orga? Even considering Biscuit, they would not even be half of what they are today if Orga had listened to much of Biscuit's advice. They would have never made the deal with Teiwaz, they would have never finished Kudelia's job. They would probably be even worse off, because they would have ran out of money as barely anyone would hire them.

Orga takes big risks, yes, but he also doesn't go into anything blindly, always asking for advice from multiple sources before making a decision. He knows that basically all of Tekkadan follows his call and he's never been one to abuse that power.
It's been established that Tekkadan has many who would wish them ill, and whether they would be big or small, they would still have enemies in some form. Someone who doesn't like what they have, someone who wants what they have, or someone who wants to simply use and abuse them. It's something that Tekkadan will always have to deal with no matter what they do. And Orga works tirelessly to always be sure that they stay above water. He even stated when dealing with Dawn Horizon, that they are always one moment away from collapse.

Part of this is because of the world they live in, the way that Mars is even crappier place to live then it was last season. It's a lawless country where the law that does exist doesn't understand Mars and looks down on Martians, constantly causing friction between the people and nothing ever getting done. What if instead the group in charge of protecting Mars were one that knew the world intimately, had grown up there, and knew it's dark nooks and crannies and its people? And if say that law-enforcement group were friends with the Mars Representative who had the Arbrau PM's ear? With such a team and even more resources behind them, could this finally change Mars for the better?

And wouldn't this also allow Tekkadan to become a legitimate group that can fight for the downtrodden people like them, and they can be true to themselves and yet not have to kill to survive?
It would be a huge gambit for Tekkadan to be sure, but it would give security and a place of belonging to his people that Orga has only ever dreamed of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Remember that Biscuit came back because Gjallarhorn was hot on their tails and there was no "safer place" that Biscuit could turn to at the time. Still, Biscuit's goal has always been to live a peaceful life with his sisters without the violence and bloodshed. In short: Biscuit never had a choice, Takaki does, and he took the route that Biscuit would've chosen if he's in Takaki's shoes. As for whether or not we'll be seeing him again, who knows? We just might.

Also, from this point on, the audience can practically blame Orga for any deaths of Tekkadan members due to battles in the future because now, they have a choice to just defend themselves while they manage and organize the huge mine they just got. But no. Orga chose an even (outrageusly) bigger goal this time (albeit with some others' blessings despite some vocal voices against it). If there are future battles caused by this very decision, the Tekkadan's blood will be even more on Orga's hands.
Actually Biscuit decided to return to Tekkaden even before Gjallarhorn was announced to be on their way. In fact he decided it practically right after he said he was going to leave in a rage. Him saying he was leaving was basically a hasty decision made in anger, guilt and grief after finding out about his brother's suicide. It was a foolish decision that Biscuit almost immediately rescinded once he got a chance to talk it out with others. It would have been foolish for him to leave then. He would have no job, no way to support his sisters, no way to do anything that he had sworn to do. At least at this point, Tekkadan is big enough and influential enough that Orga can pull some strings to get Takaki a job on Earth. Biscuit did provide some level headedness to the group, but I will argue that Orga himself has become a much more level person since he had to start wearing a suit. And as I stated above, Tekkadan wouldn't be where it is now if Orga hadn't decided some of the risks were worth it. Playing it Biscuit's way is good sometimes, but just as Biscuit balanced Orga with the slow but steady advice, Orga balanced him by pushing him to go beyond the well traveled road and that sometimes it's necessary to take a chance.

As for death of members, their blood has always been on Orga's hands. It's been that way ever since he became leader. It's part of the job requirement and something Chad brought up in the episode. His ability to shoulder this burden is one of the qualities that makes him a great leader. As to the decision he must make now, I got more into that in the response above. ^

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu

Last edited by Irenesharda; 2016-11-20 at 10:54.
Old 2016-11-20, 10:52   Link #38
asaqe
Augumented Paranoia

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
Omg yes. yes yes yes. Lafter x Akihiro is a thing. I wonder if Akihiro even feels the same way, though. lol

I wasn't expecting Takaki leaving. I get it, but I wished that he stayed. There could've been so much more character development for him if he had stayed.

Every time McGillis meets up with Tekkadan, I feel so uneasy. He talks up all this good stuff with Tekkadan becoming the king of Mars, but look what he did to Gaelio and Carta to execute his master plan. Orga's gotta watch his back now more than ever.
If Lafter spills the beans she was human debris like him, then maybe he will emphasize with her. So far a lot of the Turbine girls don't really have a backstory aside from being Naze's family and mistresses in Lafter and Eco.

The whole blood brother oath makes the issue muddier for them since to Lafter it feels like she is marrying within the family, sure they aren't related but entrusting Akihiro with this responsibility is something risky for both parties that he isn't emotionally prepared for, does he keep her in the back lines while he brazen goes off to the front? What will he do when she is pregnant with his kid? I can see a future for them both as a counter-statement to Aston's fatalistic attitude of being human debris

Akihiro should take a hint from Naze that after times of conflict the population rate booms and in this case the person they care for is a lot more attractive and Akihiro suffered the worst losses from Aston and god know how many lives during SAU/Abrau skirmishes. To him, Lafter is the emotional support he has right now in more ways than one and she knows Naze has his own plate of problems with JPT Trust basically questioning every move he makes.

Last edited by asaqe; 2016-11-20 at 11:17.
asaqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-20, 11:04   Link #39
mweloo

It's a small thing, but my favourite moment was probably when Orga thanked Takaki for his service at Tekkadan, followed by Chad saying that he was basically scouting jobs for the kid. I have a very bad feeling about the path he leading the gang down on (I seriously think his ambition, occasional thoughtlessness and penchant for risk-taking is going to bite him back in a big way someday), but that bit was oddly reassuring, at least for now.

Also- I think I've mentioned it before- Mika's lack of awareness of the impact he has on Orga's decision making skills is kind of heartbreaking to watch. I think Orga's starting to realise the fact that he may be out of his depth this time, and digging himself into he may not get out of, but is too stubborn to turn his back on the promises he's made- to McGillis, Tekkadan, and Mika most of all. I've long argued that the duo's relationship isn't healthy, and I think this episode sealed the deal- Orga's basically shielding Mika from his own emotions.

Which makes me wonder if Orga had underestimated Mika's dependence on him/ stunted emotional maturity until now. All those time he'd asked for Mika's opinion on important matters...

Last edited by mweloo; 2016-11-20 at 11:38.
mweloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-20, 11:08   Link #40
~BC~

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanmerel
and,
I'd go with both but I think Mika is confident that they can see it through. But Orga not wanting to answer the question has an interesting implication. I think he's realizing that Mika himself is starting to get tired of all the fighting and he didn't want to help Mika realize that himself. Not yet when he needs him now more than ever. And Orga probably feels like shit for it. That's my take away.

Also seems significant that the whole King of Mars convo happened without Mika present. When Orga was sitting there kind of overwhelmed with the idea I couldn't help wishing that Mika was there to snap him out of it. Being a king is kind of the direct opposite of Mika's aspiration to go back to his farm.

Quote:
And to be fair, both would have followed in their parents footsteps and continued the travesty that is the Seven Stars. Gaelio didn't like some things that he saw sure, but he reminds me a lot more of Iok. He's more of a follower than anything else. I highly doubt he would have even noticed if McGillis hadn't mentioned it first.
Had the show gone to some lengths to show us McGillis trying to bring the two on board and they'd outright refused to even consider it, I'd understand where that assessment comes from. But as it currently stands it just seems like a way to make McGillis' actions seem justified. Carta's fate basically stems from the fact that she did not want to accept the role expected of her (just a figurehead). McGillis could've used that differently than how he chose to. Gaelio was willing to follow McGillis' lead so I fail to see how him being a follower is a bad thing unless he isn't loyal (of which we had no proof). Also character development being a thing the show engages in now and then, there's nothing indicating their views couldn't possibly change.

Anyway, they weren't martyrs but they were clearly going for a sympathetic angle with both. You don't write death scenes like that otherwise.

Quote:
But anyway, we also know that McGillis is being truthful since we've seen the truth for ourselves. We've seen him give whole monologues from last season on how he admires Tekkadan and that he sees the promise of the future in them. Basically the same thing he told Orga here.
Having plans for Tekkadan and a respect for their power is all well and good but until we know what his actual endgame is and more specifically his motives (they're building up to it) we don't really know if Tekkadan can really trust him completely.

Quote:
I would very much like to see them explore Takaki having a hard time adjusting on his own. One thing that this show has yet to touch on is how difficult it is for child soldiers to assimilate back into normal society. Not just because of things like PTSD but also because of the stigma that follows them when trying to form new relationships.

But it kind of felt like they could leave it off here as the end of his story...
~BC~ is offline   Reply With Quote