5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2016-11-29, 01:23   Link #81
tdx

@Rising Dragon: thank for the info about the other Gundam shows!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye629 View Post
And Orga.......does your Shiden have the NTD? Just curious rofl
Haha, how cool would it be if it had, eh. But jokes aside, I wonder if his Shinden at least has the AV. I seriously hope they installed it on it, like with Shino's custom, because he will need all the helpful systems he can get when piloting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
With McGillis and his talks with Almiria, its open for interpretation,but I took it more as him humoring her, but also telling her that one can be taken seriously in his world, even if one is a child.
Because really, that Almiria's real grip, that everyone considers her a child and because of that her status as a person really doesn't matter. They pass over her as if she's not really there. It's a mix of the aristocratic upbringing she has, plus the normal desire to grow up as fast as she can, that most little girls go through, that gives way to this.
Not being taken seriously because of age, is also a problem that all of out protagonists have had to and still do face. All of Tekkadan is still underestimated and talked down to by almost everyone, even people inside their own group of Teiwaz. Kudelia even at times isn't taken seriously because of her age and sex.

I think McGillis is just acknowledging this and putting it in a way for a girl like Almiria to understand.
Such an interpretation, that Macky simply played along, is certainly possible, but I guess it's just the combined effect of his sitting Almiria down on his lap, his suggestion of free love for all and the forehead to forehead contact that left me creeped out. He made no slightest attempt to correct her rather disturbing interpretation on the matter of basically consumating child marriage (I think he could have interjected something like 'in a few years' or 'once you're a bit older', or, as a smooth talker that he is, he could have changed the subject a little, to make it less creepy and correct her a little, yet he chose not to), and I'm inclined to believe that it might have been intentional on his part. I think it shows, almost better than anything we've seen from him to date, just how sad and lonely a human being McGillis is.

In my interpretation, by playing along, he roped Almiria into sincerely supporting him and his ideas, and it shows how much he longs deep down to be understood and wants simple support and comfort from a fellow human being and is desperate for someone to talk to (talking about suicide with a kid? wtf, unless he's that desperate to have someone listen to him). He wants all of that even if it's from only a child who doesn't understand even a hundredth of what stands behind his words. It's tragic, really.

All in all, besides the lolicon creepeness approaching dangerous levels, this was my impression of the scene, and it didn't change after a couple of rewatches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBG View Post
Sooo what was the deal with them talking about contracts for the farm and orphanage? Didn't really understand that scene.
From what I understood from the talk between Dexter and Cucubita, besides the threat of being targeted by Tekkadan's enemies that Tenzen12 mentioned, Tekkadan's members also helped a lot with the farm as farm hands (seeing as Hush came to get them, and it was at least two trucks of the members there), but now that Tekkadan is preparing for a full-scale war, it can't afford to outsource its members to any other task, as it needs its every fighting member on the frontlines, thus cutting off its civilian business (the farm) and anything that can be a liability to their war (orphanage on said farm) so they can focus only on fighting. They still have the mine business though, but I suspect they're going to either put it on hold for the time being or have Kudelia's company do most of the management work temporary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMurphy View Post
The thing that makes me headtilt a little about Shino piloting Flauros -- because he is definitely going to be piloting it, bar it turning out to not be AV compatible or something -- is that it's apparently a long range unit when Shino is decidedly not a long range fighter.
Even Akihiro seems fine doing both long and close range (he usually goes into close combat when he's done sniping or out of ammo), and on the Makanai island Shino armed himself with two rifles by his own choice (nevermind that he got no chance to use one of them as it was destroyed right off the bat), so I believe he should be able to expand his style and handle it just fine - at least better than any of the other prospective candidates we have atm.

A couple of other random thoughts from me.

With how flabbergusted we all were, along with Chad , at the Nadi/Merribit reveal, I only now realized that it's not just Naze and his girls (Lafter in particular) who will have to make a difficult choice in the not very distant future when Tekkadan and Teiwaz come into some sort of conflict, but Merribit as well, since even if she's a more or less Tekkadan member in spirit now, she's still an overseer from Teiwaz in position, and I wouldn't be surprised if the fur coat sexist clown tried to make her spy on the boys for him (not that she would agree, but it wouldn't stop a piece of trash like Donomikols)

Another thing I've just realized: Isuguri set up meetings for Orga with the representatives of every economic block's colony on Mars, right? That means there's a meeting with Kudelia's Scumbag Dad, too! Oh how I wish they could show us that.
tdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-29, 03:13   Link #82
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkone45 View Post
Dose anyone here have a Neo Gaf account ? because it seems Toonami neogaf doesn't seem to understand the the plot of season 1 and none of them have Figured out that kudelia is going to Edmonton to meet for Mars Independence. and its kinda annoying I wish I could go there and explain things but I'm not one of the chosen ones
I'm just going to repeat again what Kudelia was aiming for is not Chryse region's independence from Abrau. Three of the four colonial settlements on Mars with exception of SAU territory has autonomous governments. What Kudelia wants is economic independence as the settlements cannot economically grow due to mineral rights being strangled through political interference. The autonomy of Chryse and the other settlements became a farce because of Gjallarhorn interference both on Earth and Mars.

It was implied that Half-Metal was an important component for the manufacturing of Ahab reactors which Gjallarhorn has exclusive rights after the Calamity War. As shown by Rustal Elion the Airanhod fleet will do anything to prevent any faction from arming themselves. So Mars can't use their resource wealth even if it is mutually beneficial for trade between Earth power blocs and Mars settlements.

Gordon Nobliss propped up Kudelia as figurehead so when she was killed it would spark various independence movements into war as they see see her as a martyr thus he can profit from the conflict.

Also seen with the Dort colonies Gjallarhorn's Airanhod fleet would interfere in Earth power bloc and space colony relationships. Workers wanted more rights and benefits and the power blocs are willing to negotiate to raise the standard of living but Gjallarhorn wanted to flex their military muscle in showing they are still relevant in peace time manufacturing a conflict of their own design.

Is it any wonder everybody hates Gallarhorn as it causes problems more than it is worth.

While Gjallarhorn losing cred and influence thanks to McGllis's scheme with Tekkadan and Kudelia the organization is still needed to maintain law and order.

Gjallarhorn is doing stuff unrelated to their original job and Rustal's faction is making things worse by causing conflict.

Thus McGillis who is a Agnika fan wants to make Gjallarhorn great again by taking command of the Earth fleet and taking out the Rustal and other Seven Stars from power.

Last edited by ReddyRedWolf; 2016-11-29 at 07:37.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-29, 04:41   Link #83
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdx View Post
Such an interpretation, that Macky simply played along, is certainly possible, but I guess it's just the combined effect of his sitting Almiria down on his lap, his suggestion of free love for all and the forehead to forehead contact that left me creeped out. He made no slightest attempt to correct her rather disturbing interpretation on the matter of basically consumating child marriage (I think he could have interjected something like 'in a few years' or 'once you're a bit older', or, as a smooth talker that he is, he could have changed the subject a little, to make it less creepy and correct her a little, yet he chose not to), and I'm inclined to believe that it might have been intentional on his part. I think it shows, almost better than anything we've seen from him to date, just how sad and lonely a human being McGillis is.

In my interpretation, by playing along, he roped Almiria into sincerely supporting him and his ideas, and it shows how much he longs deep down to be understood and wants simple support and comfort from a fellow human being and is desperate for someone to talk to (talking about suicide with a kid? wtf, unless he's that desperate to have someone listen to him). He wants all of that even if it's from only a child who doesn't understand even a hundredth of what stands behind his words. It's tragic, really.

All in all, besides the lolicon creepeness approaching dangerous levels, this was my impression of the scene, and it didn't change after a couple of rewatches.

Well, their arranged marriage is normal in their level of the world and its what Almiria expects and has basically been trained since birth for. Her world has revolved around this truth that she is to be his wife since she probably could talk, so its not something that he could easily say no to.

Also, remember the fact that this marriage is still about politics. If he even suggested anything about "waiting" or " until your older" do you know how crushing that would be to her? She already feels that no one takes her seriously because of her age, and it could make her feel that the only person that is supposed to want her, doesn't. (again, rememeber her mindset is that of a child bride that has been trained all her life for her duties as said bride. Being his wife IS her life)

A little girl's emotions are mercurial, especially one dealing with low self esteem as it is. Him saying anything like that, would cause her to feel unwanted and shatter her. And who do you think she's going to complain too?

Daddy Bauduin, that's who!
And then he's going to have to face the whole annoyance of cleaning up that mess. So, sure he could have tried to tell her to wait till she is of age, but that would have caused a lot more political problems than he probably wants to deal with. Especially as he's about to take on Rustal.

Though despite all that, McGillis is really at his most genuine and relaxed when he's with her. Probably a mixture of knowing she can't hurt him and that she's similar to him in terms of having grown up under the thumb of family duty.
You can really see it in his eyes, that he isn't as stressed then.
Some people are accusing him of manipulating her to accept his ideals, but I never really saw it that way. One, I don't think he needs too. He really didn't have to tell her anything of his thoughts at all. And also, it really just reminds me of a way an adult will talk to a kid about their complex ideas, but dumb it down in a way a kid can understand and accept, even if it's not completely right.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-29, 05:06   Link #84
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Naze Turbine sure gave Orga Itsuka a warning on not to get ahead of themselves, especially when dealing with Montag/McGills Fareed. I mean, Teiwaz supported Tekkadan and they don't want to have a bad relationship.

Meanwhile, loved how Gundam Vidar isn't just for show! Of course, I feel that Vidar is most likely be a familiar face from the first half...

Spoiler for Vidar:
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-29, 07:03   Link #85
darkone45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
I'm just gong to repeat again what Kudelia was aiming for is not Chryse region's independence from Abrau. Three of the four colonial settlements on Mars with exception of SAU territory has autonomous governments. What Kudelia wants is economic independence as the settlements cannot economically grow due to mineral rights being strangled through political interference. The autonomy of Chryse and the other settlements became a farce because of Gjallarhorn interference both on Earth and Mars.

It was implied that Half-Metal was an important component for the manufacturing of Ahab reactors which Gjallarhorn has exclusive rights after the Calamity War. As shown by Rustal Elion the Airanhod fleet will do anything to prevent any faction from arming themselves. So Mars can't use their resource wealth even if it s mutually beneficial for trade between Earth power blocs and Mars settlements.

Gordon Nobliss propped up Kudelia as figurehead so when she was killed it would spark various independence movements into war as they see see her as a martyr thus he can profit from the conflict.

Also seen with the Dort colonies Gjallarhorn's Airanhod fleet would interfere in Earth power bloc and space colony relationships. Workers wanted more rights and benefits and the power blocs are willing to negotiate to raise the standard of living but Gjallarhorn wanted to flex their military muscle in showing they are still relevant in peace time manufacturing a conflict of their own design.

Is it any wonder everybody hates Gallarhorn as it causes problems more than it is worth.

While Gjallarhorn losing cred and influence thanks to McGllis's scheme with Tekkadan and Kudelia the organization is still needed to maintain law and order.

Gjallarhorn is doing stuff unrelated to their original job and Rustal's faction is making things worse by causing conflict.

Thus McGillis who is a Agnika fan wants to make Gjallarhorn great again by taking command of the Earth fleet and taking out the Rustal and other Seven Stars from power.
This perfect Thank you if you have an account on Neogaf it would be very awesome of you to post it over there there are some people who do enjoy the show but are having a hard time understating whats going,which is causing issue over there.
darkone45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-29, 07:41   Link #86
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkone45 View Post
This perfect Thank you if you have an account on Neogaf it would be very awesome of you to post it over there there are some people who do enjoy the show but are having a hard time understating whats going,which is causing issue over there.
I don't but you can post the edited spell checked version there just quote me on it okay?
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-29, 07:47   Link #87
darkone45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
I don't but you can post the edited spell checked version there just quote me on it okay?
I would but I don't have an account and I try to make one but I need a paid email address which I don't have.

But if anyone in this thread dose pls post ReddyRedWolf comment here

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1286087

You will help lots of people understand IBO like we do
darkone45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-29, 09:31   Link #88
~BC~

Quote:
A little girl's emotions are mercurial, especially one dealing with low self esteem as it is. Him saying anything like that, would cause her to feel unwanted and shatter her. And who do you think she's going to complain too?

Daddy Bauduin, that's who!
And then he's going to have to face the whole annoyance of cleaning up that mess. So, sure he could have tried to tell her to wait till she is of age, but that would have caused a lot more political problems than he probably wants to deal with. Especially as he's about to take on Rustal.
It's all well and good to be concerned about Almiria's feelings and how that might effect McGillis' grand political aspirations but there was no reason for that level of physical contact (that he initiated and she seemed encouraged by). She's not a toddler or in kindergarten. If it wasn't the writer's intention to squick people out then boy did they drop the ball on that scene.

Maybe he's a perv, maybe he's lonely, maybe he's a manipulative bastard. He might even be all three.
~BC~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-29, 11:07   Link #89
Faux Mecha
robot looks impractical

has Gaelio's fighting style back in season 1 was even considered elegant by someone witnessing it both when he still piloted a Graze to upon using the Kimaris?
Faux Mecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-29, 12:22   Link #90
Tenzen12

And was there any reason avoid that level of physical contact? There weren't any sexual undertones as far as I could see and no-one around who would misunderstans either.
Old 2016-11-29, 14:31   Link #91
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Wow, I wasn't expecting my ship to sail. xD
Old 2016-11-29, 17:20   Link #92
DMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
And was there any reason avoid that level of physical contact? There weren't any sexual undertones as far as I could see and no-one around who would misunderstans either.
There are pretty distinct sexual undertones to dragging someone so that they're effectively straddling you -- and Almiria is well past the age when it's appropriate for a child to sit on an adult's lap.

Like BC said, if the writers didn't want viewers to be squicked out by that scene, then they miscalculated. But, I mean, we'll see -- if they intended it to be creepy, then we can be sure that it'll be revisited.

It's worth keeping in mind, though, that this is a series about the exploitation and abuse of children. That's always been one of its major themes, so while it'll be surprising on a character level if McG really is a creepster, it would tie in to the show's themes and tone pretty well.

Latest Review: Psycho-Pass 2 and Legend of Korra
DMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-01, 07:06   Link #93
tdx

A couple more things I want to mention after a rewatch.

The scene in the dining hall: Kudelia asks Mika to confirm that having a farm is his dream, he does and Kudelia starts, "In that case..." but thinks better of it and says something else, about how she will take care of the farm. So what did she try to say the first time? I can only think of one possibility, that she wanted to present him the farm (now officially hers) as a gift, but realized that the time hadn't come yet, because him getting his dream farm (regardless of how he gets it) would have to meaningfully coincide with him quitting fighting, with the implication of them having found their place and the need to fight eliminated. Which is obviously a far off dream, especially right now when Tekkadan is about to start fighting a war that will be life-defining to them.

And then the scene on the Ares, where Orga laments that thanks to Isurugi, his schedule is packed tight with introductory meetings with all kinds of Martian big wigs and then asks if it's possible to make some time to allow him to go back to Mars for a bit. I'm thinking he requested that not because he was being a homesick child, but, perhaps, because, seeing as Isaribi was on its way back from Saisei, it might've carried new Shidens and, what's more, restored Flauros.

Quote:
Though despite all that, McGillis is really at his most genuine and relaxed when he's with her. Probably a mixture of knowing she can't hurt him and that she's similar to him in terms of having grown up under the thumb of family duty.
You can really see it in his eyes, that he isn't as stressed then.
If that's true, then I'd say it's definitely mostly that she, as only a powerless child herself obeying the whims of her family, is about the only one among the GH execs who he doesn't need to think of as a thread to himself and his position. If he himself said that emotions like friendly affection and love don't reach him (even from his childhood friends), then I have a hard time seeing how a little girl's affection for him can evoke feelings in his heart.

Another something I'd like to note regarding McGillis, is that his perception of Tekkadan is becoming heavily romanticized thanks to him starting to see Agnika in them. It might be dangerous in that if they do something that doesn't conform to his image of them as the new generation of Agnikas, there's no telling how he might react.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudedmind View Post
Wow, I wasn't expecting my ship to sail. xD
You really shipped Yukinojou x Merribit before they became official? If so, then wow, props to you. I only thought that Yukinojou might help her to understand why these kids make the choices they do and be an example for her of a sensible adult who is doing everything he can to help the Tekkadan kids but is firmly grounded in reality when doing so (unlike Merribit who sort of had trouble adjusting and bringing her isolated ideals and convictions down to earth last season). Like, he showed an understanding of her and of Tekkadan at the same time, so him being the bridge she needed to connect to Tekkadan was plausible (with a little comfort from him on the side, as a bonus)
tdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-01, 16:58   Link #94
Skye629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benigmatica View Post
Meanwhile, loved how Gundam Vidar isn't just for show! Of course, I feel that Vidar is most likely be a familiar face from the first half...

Spoiler for Vidar:
No offense but.....it took you this long????
Skye629 is offline   Reply With Quote