5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 5.88%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 2.94%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2017-03-26, 19:32   Link #101
Skaddix

Don't Start A Revolution When the Writers Want To Railroad You.

I am not the biggest fans of tragedies but they are fine.
However, I do have the problem with tragedies seeming to occur purely thanks to writer Fiat.
Skaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-26, 19:43   Link #102
Knight_SV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Kigu View Post
So Rustal basically won everything? Like he even managed to retrieve the Bael relatively unscathed aside from the lost/broken swords and a big hole punched in the cockpit. He even kinda winks at Julieta letting her know she's basically just a tool at this point and she doesn't seem to mind lol. So much for learning the value of life and controlling your own destiny, just resigning herself to being Rustals lackey. I think she will help Tekkedan escape.

I was hoping all the bloodshed and human drama would have left it's mark on Rustal, it showed quite a few close ups of his eyes in this episode so maybe he was moved by all the sacrifice and struggle maybe he'd turn over a new leaf and cut the world a break etc but then he says "History will remember you as the fate of someone obsessed with power".

Damn, not even a moral victory. It's kinda obscene these literally cigar smoking, bloated, old, corrupt, greedy individuals and institutions win the day and write history but I suppose that's the reality of life.
the direction was on that way. unless gaelio really had a change of heart and kill's rustal and also expose all the atrocities he has commited then everything will be on rustal's favor.
Knight_SV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-26, 19:45   Link #103
Blazer-X

So the most interesting anti-hero dies in a battle with a former friend who uses a lance in the penultimate episode, and has a heartfelt convo right before the end. Huh... am I watching Gundam Age or IBO?

Julietta, depending on what she or her special unit is piloting, might be an ass-pull near Vagan Gear's level, which would be really bad. I am SERIOUSLY hoping for Galileo heel turn at this point before that happens.
Blazer-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-26, 19:47   Link #104
DMurphy

It's worth noting that there is still a possible road to Tekkadan being victorious(ish).

Gaelio has the ear of Gjallarhorn, and Kudelia is beloved on Mars: If Iok dies in battle, and Gaelio kills Rustal and commands Gjallarhorn's forces to stand down, and then Kudelia follows it up with an inspiring broadcast, then some of the Tekkadan guys will survive, Gjallarhorn will probably collapse in on itself.

It's weird, it seems like people were expecting McGillis to survive, but that was never going to happen. You know that was never going to happen, he was marked for death the moment he appeared on screen. It's way more surprising to me that Hush died, I thought he would survive for sure.

Latest Review: Psycho-Pass 2 and Legend of Korra
DMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-26, 19:48   Link #105
Irenesharda

The tragedy has to have some kind of uplifting ending message or something behind it. And even then, I might just watch it once. My rule has always been that if I wanted to watch a sad story, I could always watch the news. I don't watch series or movies or read books for that. I've had to read Romeo and Juliet 4 times throughout my schooling and while I appreciate the writing and the romance and the overall message, I still don't really care for it.

But hey, that's just me. And I do agree that I really dislike a tragedy where it honestly didn't have to be that way, especially because the writer couldn't write. And what's weird is that I think the writing in the series was good, it was the decisions that the writers made that was bad. In order to lead to this tragic ending (IF that is what it will be) they had to purposefully weaken a bunch of characters far beyond what they should have been, and they had to give all the power to an almost magical degree at this point, to the villains.

But, if that is how it ends, that I'm not going to cry over it. I will simply acknowledge it, and then promptly ignore it and just appreciate what I loved about the first season. A bad ending can sometimes ruin an entire series, but I think I can separate the two seasons enough that whatever happens at the end, it's not going to ruin my enjoyment of the first season.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-26, 19:48   Link #106
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
If it indeed ends in complete tragedy with the good guys on the run and all the bad guys still alive and ruling, AND there is no continuation...then I can safely say that while this season had a lot of good elements, it didn't follow through and was unable to stick the landing.
At this point, that ending above and an end where the protags fall and bring the antagonists down with them is still considered a well-written ending because they still follow through on the foreshadowing delivered by Naze when he said to Orga that he seems lost in his ambition. Now that Naze's concern has turned real with Orga's gone and Tekkadan in shambles, we'll see how things go for Orga-less Tekkadan since, at the critical moment, Orga was able to snap out from his delusion of grandeur, revert to his old self and his last order was for what's left of Tekkie members to survive the best they can.

Oh and Irene, it looks like Takaki's decision is still a good decision for him and his sister as you seem to worried about them if I recall. Well, unless Nagai-kada wanted a completely bleak ending by offing them at the end

Quote:
I've never been a tragedy girl, it's just not my thing. I can appreciate them for what they are, but I own none of them because it's just not the kind of story I enjoy. I especially get frustrated at "unnnecessary tragedies". As much as people love Romeo and Juliet, it always aggravates me since both main characters died needlessly. But that's a tale for another time.
That's okay. Not everybody like tragedies. Heck, even people who love great tragedy movies like Grave of the Fireflies don't want to revisit it again.
Old 2017-03-26, 20:12   Link #107
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMurphy View Post

It's weird, it seems like people were expecting McGillis to survive, but that was never going to happen. You know that was never going to happen, he was marked for death the moment he appeared on screen. It's way more surprising to me that Hush died, I thought he would survive for sure.
McGillis became one of the most popular characters in both the East and the West for a reason. I know personally he was my favorite character and many people loved his attitude, design, and just his overall character. So its pretty understandable that there are quite a few who are upset and sad over his death. I personally didn't think he was going to die when he first appeared, but I liked what he stood for and for what he was trying to do. As the series went on, I got the feeling that he would die, or at least "die" in order to make his ultimate plan work out. Even here in this episode there were quite a few asking both on English and Japanese sites if McGillis would actually make it or not despite his name being in the title. I was thinking he would sort of end like Char did in the original Gundam, where he does his final act and kind of disappears until the next time we see him.

But I also like how he went out here too, him basically being a one man army against Rustal's forces. Honestly, Gaelio may have won his fight, but he will never gain my respect. Something McGillis will always have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
At this point, that ending above and an end where the protags fall by bringing the antagonists with them is still considered a well-written ending because it still follow through on the foreshadowing delivered by Naze when he said to Orga that he seems lost in his ambition. Now that Naze's concern has turned real with Orga's gone and Tekkadan in shambles, we'll see how things go for Orga-less Tekkadan since, at the critical moment, Orga was able to snap out from his delusion of grandeur, revert to his old self and his last order was for what's left of Tekkie members to survive the best they can.

Oh Irene, and looks like Takaki's decision is still a good decision for him and his sister as you seem to worried about them if I recall. Well, unless Nagai-kada wanted a completely bleak ending by offing them at the end

That's okay. Not everybody like tragedies. Heck, even people who love great movie like Grave of the Fireflies don't want to revisit it again.
The thing is, I feel that some parts of what you said are right, but I think many of the things that have happened didn't need to happen either. I saw nothing wrong with their desire to become Kings of Mars. I never saw it as "delusions of grandeur". I think it was actually quite doable if things hadn't fallen apart as they did in the third half. Naze himself accepted this, and even died telling Orga to become the King of Mars and take care of his family.

I'm actually wondering if the message they are trying to convey and why it doesn't fit with me, is more of a cultural clash thing between the Japanese who are more about fitting in and moderation, where the West is more about standing out and having ambition and always striving for more?

I guess it's possible, but even if that's what they wanted to do, I think they could have shown it in a better way then they did.

I'm not upset by the ending if it does go this way, it's not like A/Z which is a series that I deplore where the ending was so bad I was physically ill , but I probably won't be going back to it again either.

I would be okay if it ends with the protags and antags going down together. I just want some kind of repercussions for Rustal and his goon squad. It's if the villains totally win, then I'm really done.

And yeah, Grave of the Fireflies, I've only seen once and that's enough. It's quite powerful, but its not something I can see multiple times. Similarly to something like Schindler's List.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-26, 20:19   Link #108
Skaddix

The problem with the message being they got greedy due to overwhelming ambition. Is they only lost to Rustal thanks to everyone on their side dropping the ball while everyone on Team Rustal got plenty of plot armor.

Its not like they went head to head in a fair fight against Rustal and lost. Kudelia did nothing, Orga and McGillis had no plan and a dumb plan...Mika and Shino choked when it counted.

If you want the message to be they got greedy that is not a good execution on that.
Old 2017-03-26, 20:39   Link #109
FBF

I felt nothing for Orga because I always had the feeling that either Mikazuki or Orga will die, but Hush....I feel for his death. He started out as a character I hated, but overtime, his devotion to Mikazuki was charming....too bad it took a back seat of the OrgaxMikazuki bro relationship.

His death was also anti climatic....poor guy.
FBF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-26, 20:43   Link #110
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

I wouldn't say that. Mikazuki showed more emotion than he normally does over Hush's demise. I think that's significant, especially given how he reacted to being in danger the first time he piloted a mobile suit.
Old 2017-03-26, 20:58   Link #111
Wing Kigu

Quote:
...But I also like how he went out here too, him basically being a one man army against Rustal's forces. Honestly, Gaelio may have won his fight, but he will never gain my respect. Something McGillis will always have...
That raises the question...

Macky/Bael showed great skill holding his own against the Ein Robobrain system which was shown to be on par with a Gundam with the limiter disengaged. However, I find it odd McGillis never kicked Bael into turbo mode. Like I said, he was holding his own against Gaelio solidly, at the cost of an arm or a leg the turbo mode would have been enough to put him over the top and kill Gaelio and Rustal right then and there would it not?

If it's the final battle and win at any cost may as well sacrifice an arm or a leg for the power boost. I think he just got cocky and thought he could win without it and didnt want to sacrifice a limb but was taken by surprise when his unbreakable sword broke and he was impaled. A small heat of the moment thing changed everything.
Wing Kigu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-26, 21:01   Link #112
Skaddix

I assume for the same reason Mika didn't overclock during what he thought was the final battle.

And by that I mean because the writers don't want them to win and are hoping we forget about everything before the Civil War Arc.
Old 2017-03-26, 21:04   Link #113
Wing Kigu

Although it was required by the plot that he lose. I'll give the writers the benefit of the doubt as his eyes were quite clearly glazed and he was having delusions of grandeur during the entire battle so he forgot to go all out lol.
Wing Kigu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-26, 21:04   Link #114
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Yes, Skaddix, we get your point. You think the writers are deliberately fucking up the story. You've made that abundantly clear. Do you have any OTHER opinion to share, or are you just going to post that same anecdote in the next twenty posts of yours still?
Old 2017-03-26, 21:09   Link #115
~BC~

Wew, boy. All this bitterness over something that's been in the show since the very beginning. I guess it was easier to overlook when it was just inconveniencing the mustach-twirling/annoying villains. Not so much fun when it effects the characters you actually care about.

Anyway, McGillis got a good send off. He was a guy following his childhood dream to the end. I still maintain that he was deluded as fuck but I'm glad he made peace with himself regarding Gaelio at the end. He also didn't betray Tekkadan (well not literally) so I guess that's something.

Tekkadan, I am left feeling conflicted about at the moment. They just keep repeating the same plot beats. Tragedy strikes, they look constipated for a bit, nothing changes. Orga was the main area where they tried to do something unique but that seems to have been for the sole purpose of adding more poignancy to his departure. On the other hand, I really want some of them to make it through this outside of the main OT3 of Mika/Atra/Kudelia. Especially Eugene, Akihiro, and Nadi.

So where do they go from here plot-wise? I can't help but suspect a sequel of some sort is planned but if not then I have a hard time seeing this wrapping up cleanly. I think the least asspulling ending they could come up with is Rustal being forced to let up on Tekkadan. Nobliss seems to have the media in his pocket but maybe those few reporters that met the Tekkadan gang last season will feel compelled to report the lop-sided battle going down on Mars.
~BC~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-26, 21:14   Link #116
Skaddix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Yes, Skaddix, we get your point. You think the writers are deliberately fucking up the story. You've made that abundantly clear. Do you have any OTHER opinion to share, or are you just going to post that same anecdote in the next twenty posts of yours still?
I will not be dissuaded. IMO, I am right and have zilch to apologize for.

This show went to ****. The writers are hacks.

You want to use your MOD Powers and Ban Me go right on ahead. Assuming you can lay out why I am violating terms of services.
Last I checked complaining aint a crime.
Old 2017-03-26, 21:20   Link #117
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokiePride View Post
I knew deep down that McGillis did care about Gaelio and the rest and saw them as friends. It was sad seeing him and Gaelio at the end like that. I agree Gaelio will take Bael and kill Rustal himself. Hush is the first one to go in the fight. Who's next.
McGillis is a interesting comparison to Kylo Ren. Ben Solo had to fight the lure of the light to gain the power of the darkside fully by cutting off attachments. Idolizing his grandpa Vader.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-26, 21:21   Link #118
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaddix View Post
I will not be dissuaded. IMO, I am right and have zilch to apologize for.

This show went to ****. The writers are hacks.

You want to use your MOD Powers and Ban Me go right on ahead. Assuming you can lay out why I am violating terms of services.
Last I checked complaining aint a crime.
Adorable. Well, nice to know that we can all write your opinion off. You'd think a long-time Gundam watcher like yourself would understand the risks of liking certain characters, but I suppose there really is no law against being so disappointing. Not sure what you're trying to accomplish by repeating the same tired whine over and over again, but you do you, booboo.
Old 2017-03-26, 21:26   Link #119
Skaddix

I am mad about Orga for very specific reasons that I already laid out. Seeing as you been paying attention to me complaining, I am sure you read it already.

But my annoyance goes beyond Orga getting a raw deal at this point. Far Beyond It.

I don't even like Kudelia, for instance, and I have complained about her treatment plenty.
Old 2017-03-26, 21:34   Link #120
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

And? All you're doing now is just posting the same point over and over. "Wah I think the writers are bad wah!" We noted your displeasure the first time around. Try contributing more than just posting sarcasm and self-pity in response to everyone else for once.