AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-04-04, 19:15   Link #1
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

Wrong first impressions. (POSSIBLE SPOILERS!)

It especially happened this past winter season. So the question is what shows that gave u a good and bad impression left you feeling the total opposite of how u felt at first or not as what u expected but still like it.

Madoka- I havta say that when i first saw pictures for it I just thought that it was a fan-service loli show. I still haven't watched it yet but its all i hear about now. Of course i asked what it has and i hope its not like K-ON! where its popular off moe. Its actually got an awesome story. So since i still haven't watched it i curse myself, but maybe i can catch up since its postponed.

IS- When i first saw the picture and trailer i like it since it was sci/fi with harem. Drawings were good to. Though in the end it was not that great. Sure harem moments are funny but that mainly what it had. Charlotte if anything is who saved the show. I am serious.

Dragon Crisis- Dropped it like a hot potatoe at ep 7. C'mon one of the bad guys was almost identical to Doctor octopus/sandman.

Yumekui Merry- i didn't think much of it at first. But later on it got me interested in it. Merry is a unique character her self, though idk why i stopped.

Kore wa zombie desuka- at the beginning or at least in the picture, it looked like just a fanservice show. It did have it, but not the amount where a show is labeled fanservice or is annoying with it. A very good show.

Ichiban ushiro no daimou- Even though it was labeled a fanservice show which it was, idk why i still liked it even though it was bad character design but it was definitely good.

Evangelion- It was pretty good at first with a very interesting story and concept on christian religion. But if u have seen this series then u know i don't have to mention the ending. I do like the rebuild though, i own both dubs by funi.

My bride is a mermaid- cheap character design at first made me think bleh, but the show was so funny i got a head ache after every ep and fights were well animated that it was easily looked over.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2011-04-04 at 22:11.
I_am_Kami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 21:34   Link #2
Aesthetic Shampoo

Ga Rei Zero - First episode was full of cheesy action and bad lines, but then...the episode ended. You know what I'm talking about.

Index - Don't tell me those first episodes weren't boring as hell.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2011-04-04 at 22:12. Reason: Sorry for not spotting the spoiler sooner!
Aesthetic Shampoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-04, 22:18   Link #3
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnythesun View Post
Ga Rei Zero - First episode was full of cheesy action and bad lines, but then...the episode ended. You know what I'm talking about.

Index - Don't tell me those first episodes weren't boring as hell.
Which index?
Old 2011-04-05, 06:37   Link #4
Mr.Garfield

Quote:
Madoka- I havta say that when i first saw pictures for it I just thought that it was a fan-service loli show. I still haven't watched it yet but its all i hear about now. Of course i asked what it has and i hope its not like K-ON! where its popular off moe. Its actually got an awesome story. So since i still haven't watched it i curse myself, but maybe i can catch up since its postponed.
just like me, except for i've already caught up with it lol

Quote:
second this, the first thing pop into my mind when i read the title
Mr.Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-05, 06:44   Link #5
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

Ore no Imouto: I thought it would be another incest anime like Yosuga no Sora or Aki-Sora but I was wrong. Good overall show though.

Amagami SS: I was hoping to be a classic harem show like Love Hina.

...At least the first impression which I got it right:

Yosuga no Sora: It's nothing like School Days.
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-05, 10:46   Link #6
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
I'm having a little trouble making sense of the OP, but if this is what I think it means, then...

Ore no Imouto was a prime example of how one shouldn't judge a book by its cover. Certainly, a title that translates as "My Little Sister can't be this cute" can mislead somebody into thinking it would be another fanservice show that would eventually be forgotten. It also doesn't help that my only exposure to the series prior to viewing it were gifs of Kirino being, well, cute.

It turned out to be anything but an incest-laden show. There was a prevalent sense of anticipation for the time Kirino and Kyosuke ended up in a compromising position, but surprisingly, it only happened once. What the anime was, instead, was a work that gave a passing view on otaku culture with an unexpected amount of wit. And in keeping with the title, a very endearing relationship between siblings that bridges an emotional gap. I wouldn't call it anything fantastic, but it did remind me of the things that got me into anime in the first place (Cardcaptor Sakura will attest to that).
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-05, 14:24   Link #7
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akito_Kinomoto View Post
I'm having a little trouble making sense of the OP, but if this is what I think it means, then...

Ore no Imouto was a prime example of how one shouldn't judge a book by its cover. Certainly, a title that translates as "My Little Sister can't be this cute" can mislead somebody into thinking it would be another fanservice show that would eventually be forgotten. It also doesn't help that my only exposure to the series prior to viewing it were gifs of Kirino being, well, cute.

It turned out to be anything but an incest-laden show. There was a prevalent sense of anticipation for the time Kirino and Kyosuke ended up in a compromising position, but surprisingly, it only happened once. What the anime was, instead, was a work that gave a passing view on otaku culture with an unexpected amount of wit. And in keeping with the title, a very endearing relationship between siblings that bridges an emotional gap. I wouldn't call it anything fantastic, but it did remind me of the things that got me into anime in the first place (Cardcaptor Sakura will attest to that).
^ yup this is what i mean by what you thought and what u got in the end
Old 2011-04-05, 14:29   Link #8
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

I thought the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya was just a standard slice-of-life high school anime.

Hoo boy was I mistaken...
Old 2011-04-05, 15:32   Link #9
Genten
has a custom user title

Only a few anime I've seen that didn't fit my first impression of them.

Magikano--Well, when my friend bought the series I was very skeptical. I'd seen a review that pretty much tore it apart and declared it 'the worst harem ever', basically. I was pleasently surprised when the series turned out to be an amusing comedy (with the worst ending I've ever seen but still worth the watch).

Kuroshitsuji II--This series gave me the first impression opposite of what most people have said on this thread. I thought this series would be fun at first. Even if the first series had been horribly mangled this couldn't be any worse, right? Wrong. I hated it as soon as I got five minutes into the first episode (and I was forced to watch the next one). I dropped it pretty quickly.

Like I said, only a few.
Old 2011-04-06, 07:11   Link #10
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I certainly agree about Oreimo - I had a totally different expectation of what that was going to be and was pleasantly surprised. But if you want to talk about wrong impressions after an actual episode, that would be Mitsudomoe for me. I almost hated it after the first ep - thought it was crude, mean-spirited and offensive. Well, it was all those things - but it got so much better in terms of smarts tone that it became one of my favorite comedies.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 09:58   Link #11
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Yosuga no Sora- I thought it would be a good drama... what happened (never trust eroges even if the promos look good)?
Ore no Imouto- I thought it would be incest but then it showed a gleam of smartness in tis first two episodes. Then afterwards. . . well at least there's Kuroneko.

Suzumiya Haruhi- I thought it'd be boring. . . glad I watched another episode of it.
Zero no Tsukaima- They said this was good because Rie was voicing Louise. . . what happened?
true tears- Well a lot of people who watched it were blown away so I was surprised I wasn't. Its still a decent show for me though. . . just not as good as I thought IMO.
Old 2011-04-06, 11:06   Link #12
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Big one for me is GunGRAVE. For some reason the first episode starts smack dab in the middle of the story, only to go back to the beginning on the second. I watched the first, was completely confused, dropped the series for a few months, then on a whim tried it again. It's still one of my favorites today, but they really shouldn'tve had that weird first episode.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 12:14   Link #13
mecharobot

Aria - I should probably say that I didn't have any sort of first impression. Every time I looked at the Aria posters, I just couldn't make out what it is. It seemed like a harem, but it isn't. Or maybe like a moe but it isn't. Comedy? Nah. After watching, it seems so clear now that I didn't know just what was I so confused about. Aria is just slice of life in a very pure form.

Hokuto no Ken - After watching a hefty amount of battle shounen, my impression on tackling this show wasn't good. It's going to be the same thing again right? Wrong. It had a very distinctive style and higher level of violence than you would expect from a battle shounen. Plus it's setting is a post-apocalyptic wasteland where kung-fu tyrants fight for power or their personal agenda. Fist of the North Star turned out to be remarkably free of most of the things I usually see in it's following.
mecharobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 16:09   Link #14
GreatTeacherKen

In Suzumiya Haruhi's case, I am pretty sure the show was deliberately set up to give a misleading first impression; in other words, the show was designed to appear like just a quirky high school slice of life comedy, which makes the revelation of it's true nature more of a surprise. Attentive viewers can figure out something's a bit off from the first episode though. Ga Rei Zero is also deliberately created to give a misleading first impression.

Trigun is something of a double subversion for me. When I saw the artwork and the OP I expected a serious sci-fi western and I thought Vash would be something of an anti hero along the lines of the Man with no Name. I was quite surprised when the first few episodes turned out to be quite comedic so I thought the show was going to be a sci-fi western comedy but then Legato Bluesummers was introduced and things started to get serious. I had the completely wrong impression about Vash though.

You're Under Arrest!- I initially expected the series to be more action oriented than it actually is. Ironically, the movie is closer to my initial impression.

Last edited by GreatTeacherKen; 2011-04-06 at 18:06.
GreatTeacherKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 23:19   Link #15
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I guess Star Driver in a bad way. When I first saw the show I thought it was going to be primarily about a conspiracy by the Glittering Crux brigade to take the world by storm with their mecha, and that gradually the characters were going to reveal their true selves and the show would grow more complex and reveal aspects of the characters as things went on to the eventual conclusion. I also thought it was going to put a reasonable emphasis on the mecha combat and that the combat would gradually ramp up as time went on.

However what I got instead of a slow reveal of the characters over time in a deliberate and methodical (competent?) was what amounted to ambiguous character development. Only one character had what I would call a proper development arc and she was actually a member of the supporting cast. Plot threads were consistently raised only to be dropped by the next episode, character motivations were barely clear even as the final episode was winding down, the mecha battles actually got less complex and intense as time went on (save for the final episode), the structure of the show was extremely repetitive where it probably would have benefited more from some form of continuity, the show contains almost zero tension in anything that goes on even though there's plenty of action and attempts at suspense, and lastly the show basically offers no closure for anything. Though I'm honestly not sure there was actually enough content to warrant a need for closure.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-07, 01:36   Link #16
brocko

Hanasaku Iroha - Was a little reluctant watching the first episode since i figured it was going to be another one of those sappy soap operas thanks to shitaku complex (should really stop visiting there tbh, but i wouldn't have known about Hanasaku Iroha otherwise so it guess it's not all bad lol). I'm glad the show isn't as bad as i originally thought, it's off to a great start with lots of potential down the line imo

Fractale - Watched it expecting it to be a Kannagi like show. I held onto this idea for the first two episode until the 3rd episode eventually proved otherwise lol

Eden of the East - First impressions before watching was a heavy Shoujo RomCom type show lol

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-07, 01:40   Link #17
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Haruhi-- I took one look at episode 00, and was like "wtf is this shit?" The next episode drew me in.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-07, 09:39   Link #18
sweet_kungfuman

Puella Magi Madoka Magica: It looks like a normal mahou shoujo shows ... it's not XD !!

Ore no Imouto: I thought it was about a daily life beetwen an otaku and her normal big brother (something like like Kagami and Konata in Lucky Star). It turns out to be a serious drama with complex love story ... . T___T

To Aru Kagaku no Railgun: I thought it was an action comedy anime just like in the manga ... it turns out to be a filler anime T____T
sweet_kungfuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-07, 12:57   Link #19
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

School Days made me thought it was just a generic romance. Then that kiss happened.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-07, 14:44   Link #20
Otaku Guy
Disabled By Request

Azumanga Daioh - At first I wanted to stop and never watch it again, but after some time I couldn't remember why I hated the show so I gave it another chance. It was funny as hell xD
Otaku Guy is offline   Reply With Quote