Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-05-17, 06:44   Link #1
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

The odd ones in your favorite anime list

Do you have a favorite anime list?

Do you have a series that seems very out of place from that list?

For example my list would be:

Cross Game
Fullmetal Alchemist
Toradora
Bamboo Blade
Bakemonogatari

The odd one there is definitely Bamboo Blade. It's so hard to explain why I like it so much, even harder to justify it even if I recommend it wholeheartedly to anyone.

Do you have something like this?

Put your list and highlight the ones that you think is the odd one out and explain why you think it's an odd one.
Old 2011-05-17, 10:27   Link #2
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Oh jeez, I know exactly what you mean from this. Most of the anime I've seen is comprised of stuff that can be considered or is drawn in that modern moe' style. Hell, Clannad is the motif on my MAL background and there's stuff probably nobody's heard of, like Hitohira and Umi Monogatari. There's the odd show like Death Note and Paranoia Agent, but those were already well received to begin with so I'd guess you could say my bar to entry for certain works is somewhat higher. So amongst some cutesy stuff, what anime had become one of my favorites?

Maria Watches Over Us (series)
Fist of the North Star
Time of Eve

Yeah. <_<; I've gotten more than my share of "...wut" elsewhere when people saw my favorites. It's like, "Clannad, K-On!, Kanon, Nanoha, Xenoglossia, Saki, Kashimashi, Fist of the North Star, Angel B--wait, what?"
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-17, 11:08   Link #3
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Hmm, it might look odd to some people to see Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann next to Clannad and Kanon in my favorites list but I don't actually think this is all that uncommon.

My actual odd one out has to be Cromartie High School because I can't really explain why I like it. I've never been able to really get into any other really weird comedy series (dropped Nichijou after 1 episode this season for example) but for some reason I love this one. Maybe a combination of the "hardcore badass" characters, some of the jokes being more "mundane" than usual but no less ridiculous, and the main character appearing at first to be a "straight-man" type but in actuality being as weird as everyone else (the episode where the entire school is trying to figure out the song stuck in the main character's head and everyone says they know exactly what he's talking about while humming it in a completely different way is my favorite overall and a perfect example of this combination). But anyway yeah, there is no other series like this that I would call a favorite so it definitely stands out.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-17, 16:25   Link #4
GreatTeacherKen

Perfect Blue- it's the only horror anime in my favorites list though this is partially because there are relatively few horror anime. It is an immensely creepy movie and it does a good job of putting the audience into its protagonist's shoes; thanks to surreal imagery and very abrupt scene transitions, the audience is just as unsure about what's real and what isn't as the protagonist.
GreatTeacherKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-17, 17:32   Link #5
Taufiq91

Doraemon

I have a balanced list of slice of life (K-On!!, AzuDai, Lucky Star), Mecha (Nadesico, Geass, g Gundam) and shounen(Gintama, One Piece, DBZ) and Doraemon is considered an odd-choice by many in the West.

I found that weird, because most people in Asian countries watched Doraemon when they were kids, especially the Generation X and Generation Y kids. It's not only their first anime, but it's also their first slice of life anime and their first sci-fi anime. I love Doraemon. Alot.
Old 2011-05-17, 22:25   Link #6
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

All of my anime list seem out of place I got Clannad, Air and Kanon next to Naruto, DBZ and Yu Yu Hakusho as well as K-On!, Lucky Star and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Old 2011-05-17, 22:51   Link #7
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Yoma View Post
All of my anime list seem out of place I got Clannad, Air and Kanon next to Naruto, DBZ and Yu Yu Hakusho as well as K-On!, Lucky Star and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Same here. XD I'm like a fan of every color. I go from watching ridiculous moe shows like Lucky Star and Milky Holmes to hardcore shiz like Gurren Lagann and Hellsing. If you looked at my DVD collection, you'd probably think it was owned by three different people: a little girl, a teenaged boy, and perverted old man.

.........but if I HAD to choose a favorite that was 'weird' or 'out of place'...
Probably Elfen Lied. Sure, it's cute but it's insanely violent. I don't really like violence. Not only is it violent but it's also f*cked up. Not in a funny way. It's definitely not like anything else I own. I can't think of anything remotely close to it....except maybe the Battle Angel OVA and I hated that.

Yeah....Elfen Lied. It has so much I don't like: I don't like blood and guts violence, I don't like girls being raped, I don't like manslaughter left and right, and I don't like cruelty to animals.
The show has all four of these things I hate.
But I still really favor the show.

I blame Nyuu. It's all Nyuu. It's because Nyuu is moe. XD

Last edited by Chiibi; 2011-05-17 at 23:15.
Chiibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-17, 23:47   Link #8
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
angel beats
clannad + AS
gundam seed (without destiny)
death note
code geass + R2
Infinite Stratos
highschool of the dead
bakemonogatari
full metal panic + fumoffu + SR
Shiki
C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!!!!!

odd anime is odd

i'm perfectly aware it's bad, but i just...love it

definitely looks out of place on that list
Old 2011-05-18, 00:08   Link #9
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

I like this question, but seeing how varied my enjoyment for anime has been, it's honestly hard to make a choice.

If I HAD to make a choice though, I guess maybe Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt.

Series' like this I'm usually not very fond of.

Last edited by SilverSyko; 2011-05-18 at 00:25.
SilverSyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-20, 12:59   Link #10
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Neon Genesis Evangelion (and movies)
Gurren Lagann
Code Geass
RahXephon
Eureka 7

Haruhi Suzumiya
Angel Beats
Azumanga Daioh

Akira
Elfen Lied
FLCL

Samurai Champloo
Yu-gi-oh!
I've divided the list into mecha, school-time lulz (with an optional supernatural aspect), short "world-blowing-up" animes (yeah I know, lousy classification), and OTHER. I'm not sure what Samurai Champloo is, but I do know that I haven't seen any other animes where a guy with a sword runs around slashing stuff up. However, Yu-gi-oh! has to be the most unique on the list. It's 225 episodes, it's about a card game, it's more explicitly for kids than the others (at least, the version I watched), and so on. It was the first anime I watched, and it's really nothing like the others I've seen.
Old 2011-05-20, 13:03   Link #11
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
For me it is undoubtedly Saki.

I don't know why I like it so much, but I do.
Old 2011-05-20, 13:41   Link #12
zarqu
Stüldt Håjt!

Is this a "Do you have bipolar taste in anime?" thread?

You'll find stuff like K-On!!, Hidamari, Aria and Shigurui: Death Frenzy from my anime favourites list.
zarqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-20, 13:56   Link #13
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I'd like to say I prefer more sophisticated stuff like Kara no Kyoukai or 5 Centimeters Per Second and yet Summer Wars is right up there in my top five...
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-20, 17:08   Link #14
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahelo View Post
Do you have a favorite anime list?

Do you have a series that seems very out of place from that list?

Bamboo Blade

You're not alone in liking Bamboo Blade. I don't think I'd consider it one of my all-time favorites, but it was a very nice, lighthearted, and charming anime.

Of my all-time favorites (excluding movies), the one that might seem a bit out of place is El Hazard: The Magnificent World. Mainly since it's the only pre-2000 anime out of my personal Top 5 or so anime list, and is in fact from 1995. While I do think it has aged fairly well, its art style and animation would likely seem a bit weak to people who are very used to more recent anime shows.
Old 2011-05-21, 00:33   Link #15
ddwkc
Lone Wolf

Send a message via MSN to ddwkc
Dunno what is the definition of odd for my list. Everything isn't that much related to each other. Maybe for my list, it would be Twin Spica. Now for something strange in relation to what most people like, maybe Yousei Florence. Not many watched it and not many would consider it one of their favorites.
Eo tempore mortem cognovi
ddwkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-21, 02:32   Link #16
Kyuu
=^^=

I've watched each episode of Saki at least 20 times each. This doesn't mean that I've watched the whole series 20 times. But rather, after viewing in sequence the first time, I've rewatched segments or the whole series at once. That all depends on how I felt a given time of day.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-22, 01:16   Link #17
chachaboru
Banned

there isn't any odd ones in my anime list since i watch different anime genres....
chachaboru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-22, 01:43   Link #18
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
I've watched each episode of Saki at least 20 times each. This doesn't mean that I've watched the whole series 20 times. But rather, after viewing in sequence the first time, I've rewatched segments or the whole series at once. That all depends on how I felt a given time of day.

You me both Kyuu ... still not too sure why.
Old 2011-05-22, 01:50   Link #19
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Juuni Kokki/The Twelve Kingdoms maybe, my list otherwise is almost entirely made out of 2006~2011 shows, so it might seem a bit out of place since it's a bit older.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-22, 02:08   Link #20
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Higurashi
Clannad and Clannad After Story
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Akagi
Durarara!
Aoi Bungaku
Castle in the Sky
Paranoia Agent

For #10, it's a massive tie between Haruhi, Nanoha, Kanon, Yu Yu Hakusho, and Mai-HiME.

Probably Akagi, it's much about straightforward ass kicking. Not that I don't like GAR, I'm generally not too big of a fan of simplistic straight forward stories involving shounen willpower. But it worked in this case. It's also an anime devoid of moe, which is a bit odd for me too.

DRRR!!'s definitely a good show, but I don't think many people would put it down as a favorite.

I guess Castles in the Sky is a bit different, since I'm usually not a Miyazaki fan.

Nanoha's an odd one, since it contains many things I'd normally dislike usually (I'm not a lolicon, I swear!), but it remains memorable and entertaining. It's also very idealistic compared to many of the other shows I'd watch, which I find somewhat odd. I often describe it as the show containing everything I hate, but still like it anyways.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2011-05-22 at 02:36.
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote