AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-05-17, 08:52   Link #1
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

Anime that you like as a kid/preteen but not so much as an adult

As a Gen-Y forumer, I still remember how start to take anime seriously. That first anime was Cardcaptor Sakura and I was 15 back then.I can't forget how pretty it is compared to most non-anime cartoons in that time. At least 7 years later I managed to see it again as an adult. I discovered how childish(in script writing sense) the romantic relationship between Sakura and Syaoran and how yaoi-ish relationship between Touya and Yukito. I never thought it had many gay undertones until I learned that it was authored by women(CLAMP is made up of four women).

Another anime that I loved as a teenager is Gensomaden Saiyuki. I never forgot how cool it was since no other anime came close. Today its nothing but a yaoi-bait show that spawned even more annoying yaoi-bait shows like Black Butler(I don't know its Japanese title) and 07-Ghost. I just pretend I never saw it before.

I will post more if I able to rewatch other old anime.
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-17, 08:59   Link #2
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameruka View Post
Black Butler(I don't know its Japanese title) and 07-Ghost.
The original Japanese title of Black Butler is Kuroshitsuji.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-17, 10:49   Link #3
Gault
inc_mplete

Tekkaman Blade and Sailormoon I'll never outgrow being the 1st 2 series I ever got to watch on TV here since 1994

however other anime while growing up, I look at now and think its just crap are

Gundam series ( mostly the non UC ones )
Dragonball series ( 30 minutes watching Gohan lift his arm up against Cell? 30 minutes of my life gone )
Gault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-17, 10:50   Link #4
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
I remember really liking DBZ back in the day but I don't think too favorably of it now, what with all of its glacial pacing issues. I might give Kai a proper run, but I doubt it would change my opinion. Speaking of Kai, are they still on Namek?

A strange one: I enjoyed Lucky Star when I first watched it, then changed my mind because there was nothing to the show, and now I'm rewatching it and actually find it to be quite humorous. But I think it's only because I've gathered years of experience as an otaku...that's a bad sign, isn't it?
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-17, 11:15   Link #5
Ichuki
┌(^o^)┘モリ!┌(^o^)┘モリ!

Doraemon it's plot got too repeatitive for me.
Ichuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-17, 11:58   Link #6
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Just to provide some context, I was a kid in the 1960s so my only choices were Astroboy, Gigantor, Speedracer. I can't stand to watch more than a few minutes of any these days but they were fascinating then because they were so unusual to me (I had no idea what "Japanimation" was then).
Old 2011-05-17, 13:33   Link #7
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gault View Post
Dragonball series ( 30 minutes watching Gohan lift his arm up against Cell? 30 minutes of my life gone )
This for sure .

Also Yu-Gi-Oh! mostly due to the fact of plot being so absurd in addition to the writers apparently not being able to understand how the rules work , seriously I like the kind of game it is, but the random rule creation/ignoring makes it far too stupid for me to enjoy [which is probably why I still find the abridged version to amusing ]
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-17, 13:53   Link #8
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Fushigi Yuugi......>_____>
Marmalade Boy......<___<

LOL

Yeah, the romance is great when you're 15 and stupid just like the main character. XD
(I'm not insulting 15-year-olds but when I was 15, I didn't have half a brain. XD)

And the norms: Pokemon, DBZ.....BUT I WILL ALWAYS LOVE SAILORMOON!! DX
Old 2011-05-17, 14:33   Link #9
RandySyler
Onee-Chan Power~!

When I was a kid I loved Yu gi oh...now all I watch of it is the Abridged version by LittleKuriboh.
Old 2011-05-17, 15:08   Link #10
Ragna92

Dragonball z
Ragna92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-17, 16:28   Link #11
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Doraemon

maybe an episode every few months is nostalgic and everything, but I would go mad if I actually watched it like I did as a kid.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-17, 19:39   Link #12
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Probably a standard list of:

Pokemon
Dragonball Z
Yugioh
Digimon

I hated Sailormoon back when I was a kid with a passion and I still kind of dislike it now
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-17, 20:54   Link #13
Haladflire65
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichuki View Post
Doraemon it's plot got too repeatitive for me.
I think Doraemon's the one show I watched as a kid and still enjoy now, perhaps even more actually. I find it pretty nice and quite hilarious at times, still I did tune into it every Thursday night when I lived in Tokyo! It was lovely.

But yeah, same for me as everyone else - only Pokemon and Digimon really, I didn't watch much anime as a kid. However, there are shows that I look back at and wonder why I liked it so much - Soul Eater, for instance - it was my first serious anime and perhaps that's why I went so crazy over it...
Old 2011-05-17, 22:08   Link #14
Mnemosyne
Ruler of the Universe

Pokemon. My gosh, yes. I can't even sit through one episode anymore.

The only other show I was crazy about back then was Sailor Moon and I vowed not to watch it for ten years. I'll get back to you on that one... in 2014.
Old 2011-05-18, 17:28   Link #15
TurkeyPotPie
fushigi ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Just to provide some context, I was a kid in the 1960s so my only choices were Astroboy, Gigantor, Speedracer. I can't stand to watch more than a few minutes of any these days but they were fascinating then because they were so unusual to me (I had no idea what "Japanimation" was then).
That's the boat I'm in as well: I was a kid of the late 70s/early 80s well before we got unaltered anime in the US. I grew up on Battle of the Planets (Gatchaman), Speed Racer, Voltron, and Tranzor Z (Mazinger). I loved those shows as a kid, but they're pretty much unwatchable to me now, in either original or adapted form. A few minutes of intros or clips on Youtube is enough to sate my nostalgia. I can't make it through a full episode of any of them now.
TurkeyPotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-19, 15:30   Link #16
Midnight Bliss
Radiant as the sun;
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Midnight Bliss
Pokemon. And if you count Winx Club and W.I.T.C.H as anime, yeah.

Last edited by Midnight Bliss; 2011-05-19 at 16:21.
Midnight Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-19, 15:38   Link #17
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Well, if we want to talk about anime that was running when I was a kid and is still running now, then Pokemon and Yu-gi-oh! both fit the bill. I couldn't care less about the Pokemon episodes being broadcast these days, and any Yu-gi-oh! series after the first never really appealed to me.

If instead we're talking about looking back on anime that I watched as a kid, I'll cite those two again, but for the opposite reason. It's a lot of fun watching the classic episodes of those two shows, though that's probably because now I can fast-forward when people get too long-winded.
Old 2011-05-19, 19:05   Link #18
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

I could have sworn I posted int this topic yesterday mentioning that I liked DBZ before school, yet.. its gone... Anyways, it was a great way to waste the morning before getting into the monotony of the school day.
Old 2011-05-20, 05:50   Link #19
ddwkc
Lone Wolf

Send a message via MSN to ddwkc
Strangely enough nostalgia is something very strong on me. I was rewatching some old stuff I watched when I was a kid and still holds up pretty well with me. It just bring back memories and I still think they are good (for the time). Animes like Marco, Peter Pan, Robin Hood, Little Prince, Mock & Sweet, Honey Honey, Dragon Ball, Ranma 1/2, and so on. When I watched Saint Seiya and DBZ for the first time I already thought most of fight/drama were too overstretched.
Eo tempore mortem cognovi
ddwkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-20, 07:20   Link #20
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Dragon Ball, for the reasons stated above.

I used to like Sailor Moon on the first few episodes, but Usagi was so unsympathetic and the sight of her staring at her pendant thingie that plays Moonlight Densetsu while she was going into a stupor as if she was a Nam veteran was so narmtastic that all the sympathy I could have harbored for her was gone. It did not help but the Moon Kingdom was portrayed in a way that made me laugh (I was big into Tolkien geekdom at that time, I want my fantasy to have some pretense of being "kinda real" and not looking like My Little Ponyland where we shit sparkles and rainbows while snorting fairy dust).

Ranma 1/2? So-so. Now, I absolutely hate it and could not understand how veterans see that as the greatest comedy ever. In my opinion, Highschool Kimengumi is a superior comedy.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote