AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-04-16, 08:25   Link #1
Lyreleaf
Inactive Member

Breakfast Recommendations?

OK, my diet is severely restriced due to a few health problems. Because of this, my food intake mainly consists of a ton of soy and nothing but organic food. Because of my limited diet, I don't have much of an option when it comes to breakfast. These days my breakfast consists of eggs and soy pancakes, nothing else. My problem is I'm really,really sick of eggs and pancakes! I want to eat something else for breakfast. I'd love some cereal or toast, even grapefruit ...but those foods are off-limits for me, unfortunately. Can anyone recommend anything to me? What do you guys have for breakfast?
Lyreleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-16, 08:41   Link #2
Funnylink

Send a message via AIM to Funnylink
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyBones104
OK, my diet is severely restriced due to a few health problems. Because of this, my food intake mainly consists of a ton of soy and nothing but organic food. Because of my limited diet, I don't have much of an option when it comes to breakfast. These days my breakfast consists of eggs and soy pancakes, nothing else. My problem is I'm really,really sick of eggs and pancakes! I want to eat something else for breakfast. I'd love some cereal or toast, even grapefruit ...but those foods are off-limits for me, unfortunately. Can anyone recommend anything to me? What do you guys have for breakfast?
Try eating bacon bits
Funnylink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-16, 09:02   Link #3
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

How about granola?
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-16, 09:12   Link #4
Melazoma

Send a message via AIM to Melazoma
Quote:
Without knowing exactly what food limitations you have... it's next to impossible to suggest a proper recipe or food.

Soy-based breakfast... I would actually suggest soy-milk, not the grocery store-bought kind, but the kind home-brewed or bought from authentic Chinese restaurants (the kind that serves breakfast). There must be more then a few authentic Chinese places in NYC As far as tastes are concerned, trust me, an authentic-brew beats the hell outta the store-bought anytime of the day.

Although I'm not really familiar with the Vegan diet, I do know that they are very soy-based. Some of their stuff doesn't look as bad as they've been made to look like on "The Simpsons."--Maybe there's a solution there, too.

Like I said though... without knowing your exact physical limitations on foods, it's either good nor responsible for me to give you recipes or food recommendations. I wish you the best of luck!

P.S. I've just PM'd Bun-kun, an exective chef who's given really good recipes (general recipes) on this forum before. He hasn't posted in a week or so, here's hoping that he drops by^^
Melazoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-16, 09:15   Link #5
7thMethuselah

Go for a light soup and a few different types fruits that's what I usually have for breakfast. It looks healthy to me
7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-16, 09:18   Link #6
Melazoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thMethuselah
Go for a light soup and a few different types fruits that's what I usually have for breakfast. It looks healthy to me
lazybones did say that he/she cannot eat grapefruit--I'm not sure variety of fruits is the problem here...
Old 2004-04-16, 09:43   Link #7
dragonz20
Cantonese Dimples

Send a message via AIM to dragonz20
well u could make some omelettes.. add some veggies and meat to it (all organic), maybe a wee bit of cheese.

somebody mentioned soup... you could do w/ some tomato soup.

but really, you need to tell us what is the cause for this limitation (medical, diet,etc...) so we can give you some better suggestions...
dragonz20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-16, 11:01   Link #8
Lyreleaf
Inactive Member

Yeah, should've been more specific about my diet. Sorry about that. Basically, I'm hypoglycemic/diabetic, and I have major chemical sensitivies and allergies, so anything from the supermarket and certain brands of packaged food will make me really ill, and I cannot tolerate dairy, fruit, or grains (as much as I'd love some granola... ^^). I mainly chow down on meat and veggies all day. I can't even have little bacon bits because of the sugar! That's how bad this is. I also drink nothing but soy milk and lemon water.

Soup sounds like it might be good idea,though. Maybe I could make a light chicken broth in the morning and see how that turns out. Thanks for all your ideas so far.
Old 2004-04-16, 11:49   Link #9
Melazoma

Wow... I can sympathize on the Hypoglycemia--me = Hypoglycemic, with a family history of Diabetes But am not Diabetic yet

In any case I still stand by the "Authentic Chinese Soy-Milk" suggestion--it is infinitely better than store-bought.

There is a "salty"--for the lack of a better word-- version of Chinese soy milk that serve quite well for breakfast. I'm not sure of the exact recipe (that is, the process of making it) but I do know the primary ingredient is nothing more than Soy, and of course appropriate seasoning like salt and such. The "Salty Soy-milk" is almost flan-like and is much more filling than your regular soy milk.

It would be good if you can find a recipe and make it yourself from soy-milk (again, authentic), because the restaurants typically serve their "Salty Soy Milk" with deep fried gluton--whihc is all carb and fat, not good.

Of course, I still say consult your doctor before trying anything new^^
Old 2004-04-16, 11:55   Link #10
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

My breakfast is an orange and I don't get sick of it : p. Add an orange to the breakfast menu to spice things up.
Lexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-16, 12:23   Link #11
Cammie
Smooth and Curvy...

I agree with some of the comments here concerning your medical condition. So its kinda hard to suggest meals. but if its veggie diet heres a few breakfast meals.

1 c. oatmeal w/ one packet of splenda (sugar) and whole wheat toast

whole wheat burito w/ scrambled egg white and a table spoon of salsa ( if you can have sour cream put a dash in.)
** I know it sounds gross but its actually Ok.**

Not sure but I'm going to suggest Cheerios w/natural soy milk and a packet of splenda
Cammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-16, 17:26   Link #12
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
i eat whatever i feel like

today: apple

yesterday: ham on toast

day before: oatmeal w/ vanilla extrack
hobobaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-16, 17:29   Link #13
Rhia
shush! I was only helping

Quote:

I know it sounds stupid but egg and bacon and fish is very good for you but ditch corn flakes, bread,potatos and stuff to many carborhydrates..
i ussually yeat one bananna an orange and an apple, cos i love fruits or scrambled eggs..
Rhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-16, 18:31   Link #14
mantidor
the Iniquitous

Send a message via Yahoo to mantidor
i have eaten for breakfast a cup of coffee, eggs and bread every single day of my life since i remember.

A diet of fruits like orange sound good to me, you should try papaya too.
mantidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-16, 18:49   Link #15
Melazoma

Here's the thing--Diabetes. It's a tricky condition, and differs almost from person to person. A regimented diet is usually prescribed by the doctor--and that diet also differs from doctor to doctor. My mom started with a no-sugar diet--not even fruits--when she was diagnosed more than a decade ago. She's managed to find a balance for herself now--bless her heart. My brother, recently diagnosed, is living on a no-Sugars diet--meaning anything with a Nutrition Facts label that says "Sugars" in Grams is off-limits. He can, however eat fruit in moderation. Still, excessive fruit or carb intake can threaten his well-being--I'm happy he's managing well Now God forbid I should join the club...

I'm just worried, Lazybones, that all of our dietary suggestions here may or may not suit your limitations. I do, however wish that you find the most variety within you and your body's likings
Old 2004-04-16, 19:04   Link #16
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

My breakfast usually consists any of the following:

Menu A: white rice with egg (raw, over-easy, scrambled, or boiled) and miso soup
Menu B: white toast (with peanut cream, chocolate cream, fruit-jam, or margarine) with egg (raw, over-easy, scrambled, or boiled) and small salad
Menu C: yesterday's leftover from dinner
Menu D: if I am in a hurry, some 100yen bread from the local Lawson's or Seven-Eleven.

Except for Menu B or if Menu C happened to be a Westerner's food, I usually drink green tea. Otherwise, I drink coffee.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-16, 19:14   Link #17
RichMan
????

This is my usual breakfast:

-Centrum multivitamin
-bottle of water

Yeah, it isn't much, but that's all I can do with the 1 or 2 minutes before I have to run out the door to catch a ride to school.

On the weekends or days off school. I always sleep till 11am-noon, so I never eat a normal breakfast.
RichMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-16, 19:17   Link #18
JOJOS'STAR
*Artist

Paté de foie de canard on bread ^^ hmmmm

With coffee and cheese of course. The french breakfast are the best seriously with a Canadian touch you'ld fall for it
^______________^

Oh yeah sorry this is no diet breakfast..
Old 2004-04-16, 19:24   Link #19
Lina Inverse
SL Aki fanclub president

I generally just have a cereal bar in the mornings, since I'm not really hungry at that time, and it's a good start in the day.

Nutrition values Corny Apfel free:
per 100g
1482 kJ
353 kcal
5.7g protein
73.0g carbon hydrates
of which 9.0g sugar (fructose)
of which 27g maltit
9.0g fat
6.6g saturated fatty acid
1.7g fiber
0.03g sodium

per bar (25g)
1482 kJ
353 kcal
1.4g protein
18.3g carbon hydrates
of which 2.3g sugar (fructose)
of which 6.8g maltit
2.3g fat
1.7g saturated fatty acid
0.4g fiber
0.01g sodium

Concerning the soy stuff, just visit an Asia Food store, they have plenty things made from soy there (even fake meat ).
Lina Inverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-16, 19:37   Link #20
Lyreleaf
Inactive Member

Melazoma - glad to finally come across someone in the same boat as me. Thanks for all your suggestions so far.

And as much as I find everyone's suggestions quite appealing (some of them sound really good!) all of them seem to involve some kind of grain or fruit. Trust me, the littlest bit of wheat, gluten, or fruit will send me crashing down. Not even cereal bars are healthy for me.