Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2008-08-11, 12:53   Link #21
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
I admit I don't know how the BT protocol works in detail so feel free to correct me if I got something fundamentally wrong. But obviously the tracker needs to know your true IP otherwise it can't direct peers to you. So if everybody connects to the tracker via Tor the system breaks down, doesn't it. Furthermore, the tracker knowing your IP isn't the problem as long as it can be trusted. The peers are a different problem. Because everybody can join the party and make rapid fire requests for peers.

On the other hand, I'm quite sure Tor can in principle be used for the packet exchange too although exist nodes block the standard ports per default AFAIK. Seiji is right of course that in that case the Tor infrastructure would break down in no time.

What we need in the end are much more Tor nodes. If everybody would be running one ... but I'm dreaming.
Yeah, I suspect that if you used Tor to connect to the Tracker no peers would connect to you. It would be like if you didn't have your port forwarding set up correctly, so you would only be able to initiate OUTGOING connections.

Also it's not completely safe since if you happened to connect directly with the spy computer they'd find out your true IP address.

(and yes, if everyone on the tracker used tor the torrent would fail completely, but I don't think that'll really be an issue).
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-11, 22:59   Link #22
Wizel603

I received my BayTSP email within the last few days. It was for a unlicensed Aniplex series currently listed on animesuki, but it wasn't Sekirei nor something from Chihiro for that matter. My suspicions are that it has nothing to do with animesuki or any fansub group but rather that there are a handful of trackers that are being watched closely by BayTSP's automated operation.
Also, it isn't a DMCA notice, but that's probably because their client Aniplex isn't in the USA and so the DMCA possibly can't be invoked.

In the end it means nothing. Aniplex paid BayTSP to send scary but harmless emails to ISPs for any IP returned by a tracker where the torrent filename matched something in a list of titles Aniplex provided.

Hard to say but this might end up causing more fan backlash for Aniplex than MediaWorks received for their antics.
Wizel603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-11, 23:57   Link #23
EternalNite
Devil Of The Nite

Send a message via MSN to EternalNite
If anyone heard of the ODEX killing in Singapore previously, ODEX uses BayTSP to track the downloaders also.
EternalNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-12, 03:55   Link #24
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizel603 View Post
Also, it isn't a DMCA notice, but that's probably because their client Aniplex isn't in the USA and so the DMCA possibly can't be invoked.
Aniplex has a US division, Aniplex USA. The site was aniplexusa.com but that redirects to Sony (their parent) now. Also, only the receiver needs to be in the US for the DMCA. The sender does not need to be in the US as long as they are in one of the member countries of one of the international copyright agreements.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-12, 08:25   Link #25
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
In the end it means nothing. Aniplex paid BayTSP to send scary but harmless emails to ISPs for any IP returned by a tracker where the torrent filename matched something in a list of titles Aniplex provided.

Hard to say but this might end up causing more fan backlash for Aniplex than MediaWorks received for their antics.
It's only harmless if you trust your ISP to ignore them. Some ISPs will use it as an excuse to terminate your service, especially if you take up more bandwidth than they'd like you to.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-12, 17:31   Link #26
4tw

Quote:
I received my BayTSP email within the last few days. It was for a unlicensed Aniplex series currently listed on animesuki, but it wasn't Sekirei nor something from Chihiro for that matter. My suspicions are that it has nothing to do with animesuki or any fansub group but rather that there are a handful of trackers that are being watched closely by BayTSP's automated operation.

What series was it?
4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-12, 18:03   Link #27
FooSoft

Why don't we just throw up CAPTCHA that needs to be passed before you can get in on a torrent? Seems like an easy solution that would solve the crawler problem nicely.
FooSoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-12, 18:03   Link #28
Flaffer

Angry Sekirei Licensed by Aniplex?

I received a DMCA notification from my ISP for sharing Sekirei. More specifically, done by the Chihiro fansub group on the tracker http://tracker.anirena.com:81/announce. Too things stand out: First, the anime is still up and I found no licensing announcements. Second, is "Anirena" sharing IP information?
Flaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-12, 18:24   Link #29
Jigsy
I get paid to post. ^_#

I think it's only licensed in Japan, and the only way I'd assume they'd get your ip is by connecting to trackers to "download" the file.
Jigsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-12, 21:05   Link #30
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

There's a thread talking about this here.
Old 2008-08-12, 21:20   Link #31
Flaffer

Angry DMCA for Sekirei

I received a DMCA notice from my ISP for Chihiro's Sekirei using the anirena tracker. And my ISP is using the notice to put me on double-secret probation; allegedly, if I get another one they are tossing me. Since its cable that will suck as they are a monopoly.....

DMCA can piss off!
Old 2008-08-12, 21:21   Link #32
Flaffer

Talking Peer Guardian

Umm, is it me, or is peer guardian like PortSentry? And if so, who don't you have a firewall...get a firewall. Now.
Old 2008-08-12, 21:42   Link #33
4tw

What episode did they get you for?
Old 2008-08-12, 21:49   Link #34
Saleh
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tw View Post
What series was it?
You could stay away from series produced or licensed by aniplex since BayTSP might send DMCA for most aniplex series if Aniplex wants to continue its actions. DMCA reports takes time to surface so you may see more people with DMCA in a week or two.

btw is BayTSP sending it globally or in a single country this time?
Old 2008-08-12, 21:52   Link #35
4tw

Yes indeed, but I was just curious as to what series & group he downloaded that got him that notice.
Old 2008-08-12, 22:27   Link #36
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tw View Post
Yes indeed, but I was just curious as to what series & group he downloaded that got him that notice.

Series is Sekirei and the group is Chihiro.
Old 2008-08-12, 22:30   Link #37
4tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Series is Sekirei and the group is Chihiro.
I was quoted from my reply to Wizel603. So, I was actually asking what series/group that he got. Sorry for the miscommunication.
Old 2008-08-12, 23:36   Link #38
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigsy View Post
I think it's only licensed in Japan, and the only way I'd assume they'd get your ip is by connecting to trackers to "download" the file.
Aniplex funded the production of Sekirei, therefore they own the license to the entire show *everywhere in the world*. It's not just Japan.
houkoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-12, 23:36   Link #39
Jigsy
I get paid to post. ^_#

Out of interest, has anyone in the UK been warned? Or is this only applying to the Americans. (As of yet.)
Jigsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-13, 01:03   Link #40
Saleh
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigsy View Post
Out of interest, has anyone in the UK been warned? Or is this only applying to the Americans. (As of yet.)
For now, it would be better to assume that BayTSP had sent DMCA internationally and be a bit cautious (Atleast it was also send to Canada if flareknight got a DMCA, as zka had pointed out earlier).

Tags
dmca