AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2009-06-04, 22:37   Link #1
Soda Pop

What kind of Internet is recommended for viewing anime?

Um, well, whenever I watch anime, I always have to do an Internet booking at a library so I can use broadband internet. But I can only use the internet for an hour ='(.

But i really like anime, and I want to be able watch anime on my computer (My computer has dial-up internet, so it takes forever to load anime)

So I was thinking I might get braodband, but what kind of broadband plan should i get?

also: can i change the program i use to download anime episodes? because whenever i download episodes using megavideo or something, it uses up like 200mb.
Soda Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-04, 22:48   Link #2
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Dear Lord, 56k?
(Sorry, I kinda left that back in 2002 or so and was reminded of the days when 56k was fast, lol)

One: there's a tech/playback forum, so it'll most likely be moved there.
Two: Depends on where you live (you sound UK to me, don't ask why i feel like that)
Three: It depends on who's paying, you or your parents?
And if it is your parents, shouldn't you be discussing it with them, instead of strangers on the net? :\
Four: (tangent point) - you remind me of the tens and tens of teenagers who did the same thing over the years I worked at the library, you're the lot who sometimes tries to get double time and I had to be double wary of. xD
Five:
Quote:
also: can i change the program i use to download anime episodes? because whenever i download episodes using megavideo or something, it uses up like 200mb.
I ask for help from others in the forum, is there a
'Basic guide to anime downloading?' around please?

Megavideo is a website (or mega upload)
It does not affect the file size of the anime which is 200mb.

It you download it from the website or download it from IRC, or download it from BitTorrent, if a fansub group (the fans add the subs and upload to the internet for you all) decide to make it 200mb, then it'll be 200mb.

Typically 4MB-8MB is fine for broadband and anime downloading. Depends on how much you want to download.
The only thing you need to be aware off is if an ISP (the company) limit you per month.
This is called a 'cap' - most have limits of about 10GB or 1GB or something, depends on the company.
Sometimes there are set times when you download that'll add to this cap.
My old ISP only used to allow 0.00-16.00 = download as I like, but even then when they decided to scrap that, I gave them the finger, told them exactly why i was leaving and killed my contract.

So the research if for you to read on the ISP website and ask friends around where you are for advice to find a package that suits your needs.

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia

Last edited by Mystique; 2009-06-04 at 23:30.
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-04, 23:25   Link #3
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda Pop View Post
Um, well, whenever I watch anime, I always have to do an Internet booking at a library so I can use broadband internet. But I can only use the internet for an hour ='(.

But i really like anime, and I want to be able watch anime on my computer (My computer has dial-up internet, so it takes forever to load anime)

So I was thinking I might get braodband, but what kind of broadband plan should i get?

1) See what companies offer broadband at your address. Sometimes they'll say "in your area" but not really to your house.

2) A fansubbed anime video file is large - it can run from 160MB-300MB and even bigger. 200MB is pretty typical for a file size. What program you use to acquire files is totally irrelevant.

For comparison, a DVD disk can hold about 4500MB of files.

3) Most plans - the more you pay the faster you go and the more gigabytes per month the broadband provider will tolerate.

Note: Depending on what country you're in, direct downloading (like using the megavideo website or other websites like it ... or learning to use mIRC) is safer than using a file-sharing system like Limewire or a torrent software where "copyright bounty hunters" can occasionally lurk.

If you're talking to your parents about a broadband subscription.... don't talk about the anime... talk about getting access to the BBC website and other news sources for class assignments, all the science websites. You know... the legitimate stuff

You could also point out that many television networks stream their series so the parents can catch up on that episode of Survive-a-Idol or whatever they watch.
Old 2009-06-05, 01:46   Link #4
Soda Pop

-_-.........

well, my parents wont pay, so i thought about buying broadband myself, but if 200mb is the average size for an episode.......wow that sounds expenisve.

btw, i live in australia lol.

-_- does that mean buying unlimited broadband be the best deal for a person who wants to download heaps of anime?
Soda Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-05, 02:00   Link #5
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

If you live in AUS, then I'd DEFINITELY think twice about using any torrent/fileshare/limewire ... only do what you've been doing (web direct download or IRC).

And yeah, unlimited would be your best option But I usually down 4 or 5 series a season, play games, and watch a smattering of streaming crud and still manage to use less than 50GB a month.
Old 2009-06-05, 12:37   Link #6
cyberbeing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
But I usually down 4 or 5 series a season, play games, and watch a smattering of streaming crud and still manage to use less than 50GB a month.
I agree on the 50GB number. If downloading currently airing fansubs alone (no DVD/Blu-ray rips or old stuff), you would be hard pressed to go over 50GB.

I just did a quick calculation of the 128 fansubs I downloaded last month, and it only came to ~33.8GB, which gives an avg file size of 258.2MB. This was an exceptionally busy month though.

The previous month I only had 69 fansubs downloaded, which came to ~21GB, with an avg file size of 298.6MB.

The month before that it seems like releases were few and far between with only 35 fansubs downloaded, which came to ~9.7GB, with an avg file size of 272.3MB.

My median fansub size for the past 3 months ends up being 276.37MB.

With 50GB allotment, this tells me you could download around 188 fansubs each month (assuming you use your connection for nothing else). That would allow you to on avg watch 2.5 hours of fansubs per day, every single day of a 30 day month. You would have to be really obsessive to watch that much each day.

Edit: To stay on topic, a 3Mbit+ internet connection is decent, anything less then that is a bit lacking. As for the cap you need, to be on the safe side you could think of it like the following:
10GB = 1 download/day, 20GB = 2 downloads/day, 30GB = 3 downloads/day, 40GB = 4 downloads/day, 50GB = 5 downloads/day.
You could probably download a bit more then that depending on file sizes (use something like NetMeter to keep track), but you should never go over each of those cap sizes by sticking to those guidelines. I'm assuming overages are pretty harsh in Australia, and you would be charged greatly for going over.

Last edited by cyberbeing; 2009-06-05 at 13:24.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 09:48   Link #7
TubZzz
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to TubZzz
omg tell me about it... how inferior can Aussie internet get :P

i'd say go with ADSL2+ which is the best your gonna get in Aus

TPG has a pretty good deal where you get 50gb for $50... check it out
TubZzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 13:40   Link #8
PurpleLightning

i was just thinking about how crappy my broadband was but wow thats bad... i say this having downloaded at one point over 50 gigs in a week i couldnt imagine being limited to 50 gigs in a month... looks like no hd content for you... save space and time and dl those low-res eps.
PurpleLightning is offline   Reply With Quote