Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Muv-Luv Franchise

Notices

Old 2012-07-11, 09:12   Link #161
grevierr
The Lovable SuBiTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonkid11 View Post
The fact that I read about the MuvLuv series on freaking tvtrope first AND STILL cried after reading all the spoiler should say something about MuvLuv...

Also currently playing MuvLuv Extra-Sumika's route...I think...
TV trope muv luv page is still there? I remember spaming some pics of the XG-70, calling it the land GP03 Dendrobium supported by the GP02A, and linking it to the Muv Luv page i started during my university days... Then some ppl came in and updated everything, lol. Haven't been back since then. I should go back and check it out.

Do they still have the Sumika roles comparison of in ML:Extra, "Childhood friend Takeru cannot imagine being without" vs her role in MLA?
Spoiler for dark humour:
I was laughing at the irony...
grevierr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-11, 09:20   Link #162
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Well I just finished Unlimited once again. I'll start Alternative again on the weekend. XD

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-11, 09:41   Link #163
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevierr View Post
TV trope muv luv page is still there?
They probably kept it despite the sex scenes and Miki being a "loli" because the fandom is too large and vocal and the franchise is too "tropheriffic" for them to simply nuke it off the site like they did for Kodomo no Jikan and Astarotte no Omocha.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-11, 09:45   Link #164
John117xCortana

How did Takeru ended up with the Imperial Guard ?

Why is Ikaruga doing this coup ?

I thought Yuuko went with the fleet ?
John117xCortana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-11, 10:11   Link #165
Dragonkid11
A random-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
They probably kept it despite the sex scenes and Miki being a "loli" because the fandom is too large and vocal and the franchise is too "tropheriffic" for them to simply nuke it off the site like they did for Kodomo no Jikan and Astarotte no Omocha.
I thought Tvtrope have tropes on nearly all of the games,shows,films and animes as long the fandom demand

One thing that make me wonder is that the Funny page,Heartwarming page and the Crowning Moment of Awesome is so short....I mean,the series is old...right?
Dragonkid11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-11, 10:15   Link #166
grevierr
The Lovable SuBiTA

Quote:
I thought Tvtrope have tropes on nearly all of the games,shows,films and animes as long the fandom demand

One thing that make me wonder is that the Funny page,Heartwarming page and the Crowning Moment of Awesome is so short....I mean,the series is old...right?
Muv Luv didn't get Much Love since it was a Japan only VN. Now that there's an anime its getting more profile.
grevierr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-11, 13:30   Link #167
Silvance
Storm Vanguard
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevierr View Post
Ah ha ha, ok, i promise to find time to sit down and read it through. The AGTH i'm using only works for TDA00 and TDA01, have not heard anything working on TDA02 yet. Tried all the different versions too. Edit: I dled and tried
ITH but none of the versions work for rUGP v6.0. Guess i'll just have to wait for a patch to come out.

And yes, Ritsuko is great, especially after Owarinaki. You would definitely like her since she is so much like Mitsuki in attitude. I would love to have the two of them meet in the ML setting.

There's a translation? Any idea who's doing it? I only know of the German novel translation thats ongoing.
oh... sorry to hear about that. I hope an h code is found so it becomes accessible to you and the others.

Haha. I can't agree more with you on that. She's bro-tier like Mitsuki, and their overall personality overlaps with each other. lol.

Some guys in /m/ showed some screenshots that they're working on it. Problem is that we haven't heard much since then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Himmel View Post
You guys also made me stumbled upon this one :
I love that song so much. It's even named after her... *hugs knees and cries at the corner of the room*

Quote:
The fact that I read about the MuvLuv series on freaking tvtrope first AND STILL cried after reading all the spoiler should say something about MuvLuv...

Also currently playing MuvLuv Extra-Sumika's route...I think...

Wut? You haven't read the novels and you spoiled yourself by going to the tvtropes? I'm sorry to bear the bad news, but you won't get to experience the main trilogy at its best anymore. D:

ML is one of the novels that you must read without prior knowledge regarding the main events in order to fully appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grylsyjaeger View Post
Well I just finished Unlimited once again. I'll start Alternative again on the weekend. XD
I have the urge of doing that too. Maybe tonight when I get back home. lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John117xCortana View Post
How did Takeru ended up with the Imperial Guard ?

Why is Ikaruga doing this coup ?

I thought Yuuko went with the fleet ?
Spoiler for MLAC03:

Last edited by Silvance; 2012-07-11 at 13:55. Reason: why are the emoticons not showing up?
Silvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-11, 18:01   Link #168
SolarAquarion
Organic Mecha

Muv Luv Alternative is basically the original novel of starship trooper gone japanese/anime. Hell the politics of the alternative is quite controversial since it talks about politics of the emperor and what not.
SolarAquarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-11, 22:40   Link #169
Tk3997
Loveable Jerk

Send a message via ICQ to Tk3997 Send a message via AIM to Tk3997 Send a message via MSN to Tk3997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xezexal View Post
I like how Muv Luv was heavily influenced by Starship Trooper (the book, not the movie) you kind of see it in the story/the philosophy of Muv Luv.
I hear this allot, but I don't see it at all.

Looking at some of the core themes of the the novel SST is really a political piece. It's very much a discussion on Meritocracy with arguably one of the core themes of the novel being that universal democracy might well bad idea. The war is almost a secondary thing; an more excuse to talk about this point and discuss duty and social obligation, which are the other big themes of the novel. Even the characters aren't really the focus at all, personal relationships don't drive anything, the hero is just a cog in a machine ultimately unimportant to the war as a whole. The book doesn't even really end with any kind of resolution of the war.

The message and themes of the novel have virtually nothing to do with what we see in Muv-Luv. The political situation is simply glossed over or blithely assumed to function more or less like the present day despite the radically different history. If the story actually heavily focused on the changes to society as mankind completely mobilized, how unending war shaped politics, the morals of forcing service, etc maybe the comparison would be more apt, but mostly the comparison seems to amount to "they called the aliens bugs in the novel and they lived in tunnels". Even the bugs themselves aren't really the same the "bugs" in the novel were a collective of a sort but they were intelligent, tool using, and had a working society of their own. They weren't mindless animals, but they thought in a different way then humans did and focused on the good of the group over individualism. They were effectively a fairly clear allegory for communism and also an attack on it functionally saying "for this to work you need to have a completely alien mindset". There is no particular political message behind "chomp".

Muv-Luv is a functionally a straight war story hero gets dragged into war (against his will of course, another key difference), has to undergo some trials, makes some friends, storms the enemy stronghold and defeats the enemy. It's done rather well and it's somewhat bloodier then most, but at the core it's pretty much just well done genre fiction. It doesn't really have a message or address any particularly deep or controversial themes. That's not necessarily a slight against it as a story doesn't always need a deep "message" to be good, and indeed many suffer for trying, but Starship Troopers pretty clearly had one and it was a key part of the book. I don't really consider it to be in the same genre as Muv-Luv and aside from the very superficial "bug hunt" stereotypes I really don't see the connection much at all.

Last edited by Tk3997; 2012-07-11 at 23:28.
Tk3997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-11, 23:14   Link #170
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
I see it more as Gunbuster on Earth without the super robots.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-12, 00:10   Link #171
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Err, if anything, MuvLuv was directly influenced by Gun Parade March game.
It was a core hit during that generation of gamers, and when Muv-Luv first came out, that was on everyone's tongue.

The entire situation of the world (Eurasia pretty much gone, Japan is the final defense, US is the least hit, military turn to trainig kids on robots to fight off the mysterious alien creatures that are impossible to communicate, etc), the parallel world view of GPM multiverse and how the protagonist and the heroine are key to the salvation of the parallel universes.

Do these sound familiar to you? Because I'm actually describing GPM.

It was under many criticism as "WTF? This is a direct rip off of that Playstation game" when the game first came out.
Even though I love both franchise, the uncanny semblance is unarguable.
(Not to mention there are many GPM fans in the MuvLuv dev team. )

MuvLuv was most likely influenced by GPM, which was possibly influenced by Starship Troopers, although unlikely.
Old 2012-07-12, 00:20   Link #172
Silvance
Storm Vanguard
*Graphic Designer

considering that Age staff are mostly fanboys, I'm not surprised. lol. Didn't one of the tracks of Muv-Luv sounded similar to one of the themes of Starship Troopers? I guess they want to pay tribute to that one as well. XD
Old 2012-07-12, 01:38   Link #173
Dragonkid11
A random-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvance View Post
Wut? You haven't read the novels and you spoiled yourself by going to the tvtropes? I'm sorry to bear the bad news, but you won't get to experience the main trilogy at its best anymore. D:

ML is one of the novels that you must read without prior knowledge regarding the main events in order to fully appreciate it.
I'm the kind of guy who doesn't care about getting spoiled
Although it was more of because of that I have nearly zero VN experience(Only played Katawa Shoujo...and only finished two of the heroines)

It turns out that choosing the right choice is WAY WAY harder than expected...
Dragonkid11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-12, 09:03   Link #174
Candyshark

I have two questions:
Are the events of Alternative V considerd main, canon timeline and are inevintable?

And does Total Eclipse add anything meaningful having any impact on the world conflict?
Candyshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-12, 09:44   Link #175
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyshark View Post
Are the events of Alternative V considerd main, canon timeline and are inevintable?
Spoiler for Big spoilers for Muv-Luv Unlimited/Alternative:
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-12, 16:03   Link #176
Miraluka
Banned

From what I head from MLA TE about Yui's fate:
Spoiler for don't touch it:
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-12, 18:43   Link #177
Silvance
Storm Vanguard
*Graphic Designer

Are you asking us to confirm if its true? Hmmm... If it's answered, there's a possibility it will spread like wildfire in the anime thread. I'm not going to ruin the anime for you or the newcomers so I'll pass. I'll let someone else do that assuming they want to. lol.

Ah... such contradiction.

On the side note, found this nice image. I guess the only thing that was missing was the comedy, huh?

Last edited by Silvance; 2012-07-12 at 19:32.
Old 2012-07-12, 18:59   Link #178
SolarAquarion
Organic Mecha

Quote:
Are you asking us to confirm if its true? Hmmm... If it's answered, there's a possibility it will spread like wildfire in the anime thread. I'm not going to ruin the anime for you or the newcomers so I'll pass, I'll let someone else do that assuming they know the answer. lol.

On the side note, found this nice image. I guess the only thing that was missing was the comedy, huh?

I first saw that image posted on /r/anime by the user xRichard http://www.reddit.com/r/anime/commen...e_trilogy_ep2/

It was also posted on /a/ but only yesterday.
SolarAquarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-12, 20:23   Link #179
John117xCortana

When I first saw Yuuhi I had four words to describe her. Serene, majestic, elegant and beautiful.
John117xCortana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-12, 21:58   Link #180
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Are you asking us to confirm if its true? Hmmm... If it's answered, there's a possibility it will spread like wildfire in the anime thread. I'm not going to ruin the anime for you or the newcomers so I'll pass. I'll let someone else do that assuming they want to. lol.

No, I know already, what I would like to know is if the revolt got solved .
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eroge, military science fiction, yuimoto