King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

What MMO ya waiting for Warhammer
Old 2008-02-22, 21:41   Link #82
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I hooked into DOMO (a free-to-play, pay-for-special-items MMO) a few weeks ago. This alone beats the living crap out of $50-to-start-plus-$15/mth.

It is cute, has just about the same level of play as WoW... and good grief it is cute. The freaking zombies are cute.... you may die from cute overload.

It has an interesting gameplay mechanic in that you establish relationships with others (friends, lovers, sensei, etc) that when grouped gives you special attack/casting options. You can also multi-class though only one class can be really in-play at a time.

Just dropped Pirates of the Burning Sea..... ($50-down-tube). The sea battle mechanics were fabulous, the economic engine quite interesting.... but the land action was 1990s MMO at best, the quests marginal, and the roleplay virtually non-existent. The designers admit they left the land action pretty much undone so it might be worth checking out in six months again. Oh and I'd forgotten how much I loathed the whole SOE Station account bullshit (from my EQ days all the way back to Kunark Expansion).
Old 2008-02-22, 21:55   Link #83
ac3y

I'm playing Exteel (MMO3PS). Think mecha.
It's pretty fun. It's F2P, pay for unique items (not necessarily better items, though).

I also used to play War Rock (MMOFPS), Ragnarok, Gunz (ew), and a bunch of other MMO's.

I think overall, Ragnarok was the best. Maybe it's the nostalgia, though.
ac3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-23, 02:34   Link #84
shiro83

Had tried Conquer Online and disliked it. The game needs lots of time and effort to build a strong character. Sadly, I have never tried other MMOs.
shiro83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-23, 09:52   Link #85
technomo12
Wise Otaku Seeker

to tell ya the truth im really looking forword to the online game

called

RAGNAROK 2 ~THE GATE OF THE WORLD~
technomo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-23, 13:50   Link #86
Asamidori
ボカロ廃

Quote:
Originally Posted by technomo12 View Post
to tell ya the truth im really looking forword to the online game

called

RAGNAROK 2 ~THE GATE OF THE WORLD~
Ragnarok Online 2? Beta Tested earlier this year, not worth waiting if that's all there is when it's released.

Edit: Oh wait, that was last year. Why do I keep thinking we're still in 2007. >>

Last edited by Asamidori; 2008-02-23 at 14:30.
Asamidori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-23, 13:52   Link #87
_DaViD_
~(=ω=.)~

i have played Ragnarok, in a lot of private servers cus i wont pay $$ to play a game that i dont play that much, i only play sometimes only if my friends are online, cus playing by myself is so boring.

the one where i wasted like $100 was gunbound lol, but its a shooting game like worms, i spent like 2 years playing it, and now i dont know what the **** i found interesting in that game.
_DaViD_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-23, 14:52   Link #88
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Honestly.....well okay:

Create character, stand around waiting for a party, grind, level up, get a new set of equipment, stand around waiting for a party, find the next higher up level of monsters, grind, level up, get a new set of equipment, stand around waiting for a party, find the next higher up level of monsters, grind, level up, get a new set of equipment,stand around waiting for a party, find the next higher up level of monsters, grind, level up, get a new set of equipment......
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-23, 15:16   Link #89
King Lycan
*IT Support

u saying MMO's are just grind, lvl up
Old 2008-02-23, 15:52   Link #90
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Honestly.....well okay:

Create character, stand around waiting for a party, grind, level up, get a new set of equipment, stand around waiting for a party, find the next higher up level of monsters, grind, level up, get a new set of equipment, stand around waiting for a party, find the next higher up level of monsters, grind, level up, get a new set of equipment,stand around waiting for a party, find the next higher up level of monsters, grind, level up, get a new set of equipment......
That's what it boils down to. Granted, that's what most offline RPGs end up being, too, but at least there's some other draw to them.

Well, there is in online RPGs: Social play. Roleplay or not, you're sharing the experience. That's why I find it fun, and the rest of the game is just the glue to enable that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I hooked into DOMO (a free-to-play, pay-for-special-items MMO) a few weeks ago. This alone beats the living crap out of $50-to-start-plus-$15/mth.

It is cute, has just about the same level of play as WoW... and good grief it is cute. The freaking zombies are cute.... you may die from cute overload.

It has an interesting gameplay mechanic in that you establish relationships with others (friends, lovers, sensei, etc) that when grouped gives you special attack/casting options. You can also multi-class though only one class can be really in-play at a time.
Being free is a tremendous bonus. I can set it down and go do other things without feeling like I'm wasting money. Gaming shouldn't be stressful, after all.

DOMO also lets me game without feeling like I'm completely wasting time. I can do piddly-things on or near the computer as I do what would otherwise be unbearable grinding. Finally, an MMO that DOESN'T try to consume your life! (Aeria Games's most popular offering, the incredibly beautiful but strikingly boring Shaiya, actually locks the game window and local activity if you should dare give focus to another window).

The multiple job system panders to the Final Fantasy 5 through 7 fan and the micromanaging twink that sleeps inside me. It also means that I have a better chance of playing with my friends even if they've leveled beyond me, since they start new jobs at low levels.

DOMO fails for role-players as most MMOs do these days in lacking the immersion that nothing since Everquest has had (IMO). But it's free, it's cute, and has fun game mechanics. For me, that makes it a winner.

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-23, 16:53   Link #91
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

aye... I've not found *real* roleplay since EQ (I belonged to a strong roleplay dark elf guild that that actually interviewed me and had me go on test adventures before admitting me... very good stuff - lawful evil fun). In WoW, you'll get the occasional in-char (even the roleplay servers are terrible) -- but Vent has pretty much destroyed the immersion aspect for many (I keep hoping Vent will add a voice-modulator so I don't have to listen to a night-elf lass with a truckdriverguy-CB voice or a manly dwarf squeaking 13yo girlspeak)

... though the really odd improvement is that many of the idiots have now vanished off of type-chat.
Old 2008-02-24, 10:44   Link #92
technomo12
Wise Otaku Seeker

RO2 might be in beta mode it only mean it has a huge HUUGE!!!!!!!!!!! potential soo just w8

as i have jeard there is tons of thing and items to think about to keep you wasting 5-7 hrs of your day hehehehe
technomo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-24, 12:29   Link #93
Rubylight

I've played a bit of World of Warcaft, and from the time, it just didn't seem like my kind of game.
I guess I'm more of a offline RPG kind of fan then...
Rubylight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-24, 14:45   Link #94
Rookie103

Just uninstalled Guild Wars. It isn't what it used to be. There is barely anyone for Cooperative Missions, and the only good campaign is the First one. Which no one really plays.
Rookie103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-24, 14:51   Link #95
Micchi
兄さんが望むなら...

RO2 was ok. I played the Japanese beta for a while. There's just not enough content atm though. People revolted when they were told it was going P2P already. Good thing GungHo went back on its word and they might hold another beta later.

As for me, I just play RO, since I've grown attached to it. I just like the community aspect of MMOs. Not to say that I don't like offline RPGs either, but it's a different feel. Recently, I've began playing Mabinogi instead. Fun game
Old 2008-02-24, 16:03   Link #96
Quzor
It's the year 3030...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
aye... I've not found *real* roleplay since EQ (I belonged to a strong roleplay dark elf guild that that actually interviewed me and had me go on test adventures before admitting me... very good stuff - lawful evil fun). In WoW, you'll get the occasional in-char (even the roleplay servers are terrible) -- but Vent has pretty much destroyed the immersion aspect for many (I keep hoping Vent will add a voice-modulator so I don't have to listen to a night-elf lass with a truckdriverguy-CB voice or a manly dwarf squeaking 13yo girlspeak)

... though the really odd improvement is that many of the idiots have now vanished off of type-chat.
Oh man, I can totally understand where you're coming from there! In one of my old guilds, we had a female nelf priest, played by what sounded to be a 40-something man ("It's my wife's character."...yeah, right). Then, we had a human tank (that'd be warrior for you non-WoWers), played by a 12-14 year old boy and, lastly, a female nelf priest who sounded like a man, but was actually a woman ("I just have a real deep voice."...OK, I'll buy that). Seriously, Vent has opened the door to some extremely awkward incidents.

On the other hand, I agree with your last statement: Thank God the general chat isn't clogged with retarded nonsense (as much) anymore...though, I still usually turn it off.

On topic: I'm still sort of in to WoW. I haven't played much recently, but that's been because of a lack of interest in my server. Once I server transfer to my friend's server, I'll probably pick up again. And the new expansion is always a reason to keep playing. Other than that, I played EQ for a bit, AO, DAoC, and some others. I don't know, I guess I just like spending money on online video games...
Old 2008-02-24, 18:00   Link #97
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

I have to agree with Kaioshin Sama. MMOs deliver you the same amount of story content, except spread across *far* more grinding.

FFVII has a far better story than WoW and you can even beat both the LOLBOSS weapons (emerald/ruby) in a fraction of the time it would take you to beat Illidan in WoW (which was the most retarded move ever...why couldn't the end boss have been Kiljaeden with Illidan being the NPC that sides with you?!)

Recognize MMOs for what they are--time and money sinks that are no more fun than any other multiplayer game.
Old 2008-02-24, 18:16   Link #98
King Lycan
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie103 View Post
Just uninstalled Guild Wars. It isn't what it used to be. There is barely anyone for Cooperative Missions, and the only good campaign is the First one. Which no one really plays.
Noo did u try Eye Of The North or at least Nightfall
Old 2008-02-24, 19:49   Link #99
esfir
hepcat

the thing i find about MMOs is that, for me, i like the idea of other (real) people playing around me, but i don't want to play with them.

the only MMOs i've played are WoW, FFIX, talesweaver and RO, so my experiences are pretty limited--but i'll usually enjoy playing for about two weeks, grow bored, and then go a month without playing. then i'll start playing again, get bored, start a new character, play for a couple weeks, then go another month without playing.

i know this is insane, and completely against all which is normal and rational in this world, but the only MMO i really liked to play and could play for months was FFIX. the worlds were uninventive, the plotlines nonexistant, the leveling system irrational, and the party system incomparably frustrating, but i still liked it the best. it also forced me to play with other people, which i absolutely despise--but i still didn't mind. i guess there is some sort of inexplicable characteristic about it that appeals to me.

WoW had all the makings of what should be a decent MMO, but it was probably my least favourite. i think the fact that the character designs were by and large hideous and offensive to the eyes was a big factor.
esfir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-25, 02:11   Link #100
Aya Reiko
Cutengu

I used to play DoMO, but the bugs, lack of content, and a lack of an immersion factor left me bored of it.