AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-11-07, 21:44   Link #61
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOGESNAKE View Post
Spoiler for Slight movie spoilers?:

What I REALLY loved was the short film that played before Wreck-It Ralph, "Paperman". The beautiful animation, the simple romantic story, and how it builds the two characters without any dialogue at all. Honestly, my #1 Disney short yet~ <3
I'll take the second part first... yes, the short at the beginning was awesome. Loved it. Definitely one of the best I've ever seen.

As for the first part...

Spoiler for references to video games in movie:

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-07, 21:57   Link #62
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
This movie looks pretty good. I'm thinking of seeing it. 3D recommended?

It just costs SO much....for 3D....I find it ridiculous; $13 and they don't even let you keep the freakin glasses!
Old 2012-11-07, 22:09   Link #63
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
I don't like 3D movies. I went to the 2D version and it was gorgeous with TI DLP.

Okay, found this article with a list of references... it's rather incomplete, probably since it was made weeks ago. But, there are a few on here I missed and I am ticked that I missed them. I also am not entirely sure that Jane Lynch's character is what they say she is, but I guess it's possible (EDIT: The more I think about it, the more it does make sense, I guess, but if they were going to make that reference, they could've done a much better job).

DON'T CLICK if you don't want to know some references before you see the movie:
http://www.gamesradar.com/wreck-it-r...rences-so-far/

They missed a bunch of characters that were in the movie. Maybe they used the trailer for that?

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-08, 00:09   Link #64
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Yeah, I can easily recommend the 2D version, had no problem enjoying that. I'll avoid 3D like the plague if I have the option. The price being higher definitely doesn't help, but I hate those glasses and it's almost painful to watch long films in 3D.
Old 2012-11-08, 17:44   Link #65
james0246

Wreck-It Ralph is a little too soul crushing and cynical for me. I am unclear why Ralph has to be such a tragic character, especially since this is supposedly a kids film. I mean the f-cking rat in Ratatouille was allowed to remake its life and the lives of those around it, but poor old Ralph literally saves everyone in multiple game universes and all he gets in return is a modicum of respect (which he should have had all along) for the role he is still forced to be in (Ralph's life does change, and for the better, but it is an unequal change compared to others; Ralph is forced to accept his life whereas others are allowed to expand their horizons). And what's worse Vanellope and Felix literally get everything, hell Vanellope even become a Disney Princess, and all because of Ralph. Ralph strives for a better lot in life, but is forced to stay in a position and role he hates all the while Felix and Vanellope (especially Vanellope) get everything their hearts desire.

Remember kids, simply accept your lot in life; at best you can only hope that people with better lots in life will acknowledge that you are at least human, otherwise just give up...unless you are Princess in disguise, in which case you will become amazing no matter what.

edit: I will say that I appreciate the fact that the director and writers were trying to create a pseudo-It's a Wonderful Life vibe in the film. That every man, no matter how small, is great (as so long as they have friends). Sadly, they didn't realize that It's a Wonderful Life is a fairly scary drama and that while George Bailey's life is something to be proud of its not really a children's story.

That being said, the technical aspects of the film were superb. Wonderful art design and colour palette, beautiful animation (slightly varied between gaming dominions), at least 2 solid acts, and very good voice acting lift this movie from its slightly overplotted and ultimately cynical storyline. But, I can't really recommend the title since, despite some fun quirks and decent acting the conclusion is a little too heartbreaking for a kids movie. 70/100.

Last edited by james0246; 2012-11-09 at 01:14.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-08, 19:11   Link #66
AnimeFan188

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
poor old Ralph literally saves everyone in multiple game universes
Spoiler for Spoilers:
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-08, 21:05   Link #67
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
Spoiler for Spoilers:
So the lesson is don't even try because you will only end up hurting everyone .
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-08, 21:19   Link #68
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
So the lesson is don't even try because you will only end up hurting everyone .
I think the lesson is avoid first person shooters . That kind of stuff is crazy .

Besides I think all this showed is how much you enjoy your job depends on the work environment. Being treated like garbage all the time would make anyone desperate to change things. In the end the guy gained co-workers (for the bonus level), a good friend, and respect from the people he's working with.

I don't think this was "It's a Wonderful Life" at all, because things did suck for him. It's better because things really did change and not because his perception changed.
Old 2012-11-09, 00:58   Link #69
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Besides I think all this showed is how much you enjoy your job depends on the work environment. Being treated like garbage all the time would make anyone desperate to change things. In the end the guy gained co-workers (for the bonus level), a good friend, and respect from the people he's working with.
Also, some people get the feeling that either luck favored them or cursed, with the latter category yearning to find a different identity, believing they have better things to do than being stuck in a rut and a butt of jokes.
Old 2012-11-10, 23:57   Link #70
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
So I just got back from seeing it (avoiding the spoilers in this thread was tough, since I usually love spoilers)... and my personal opinion was that it was AMAZING. Then again, I'm a sucker for Disney movies in general, and with all the video game references added in... can't ask for a better combination

As for the "message" of the movie... well, there appear to be more than one.

Spoiler for Movie spoilers, more or less:

This is definitely a movie I'm going to buy when it comes out on DVD/BD, and I'm probably also going to go see it again over Thanksgiving break from college

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-11, 00:25   Link #71
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
Spoiler for Spoilers:
For the record

Spoiler:
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-12, 13:44   Link #72
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
So I just got back from seeing it (avoiding the spoilers in this thread was tough, since I usually love spoilers)... and my personal opinion was that it was AMAZING. Then again, I'm a sucker for Disney movies in general, and with all the video game references added in... can't ask for a better combination

As for the "message" of the movie... well, there appear to be more than one.

Spoiler for Movie spoilers, more or less:

This is definitely a movie I'm going to buy when it comes out on DVD/BD, and I'm probably also going to go see it again over Thanksgiving break from college
Definitely a good comment on a message of the movie. I'm also with you in buying this down the road when the BD version comes out.
Old 2012-11-13, 20:17   Link #73
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
I enjoyed the movie. I also liked how Mario was mentioned or referenced two or three times (the character, not the franchise), but never appeared. Sonic on the other hand, showed up two or three times and had a small speaking role.
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-19, 05:38   Link #74
Pink Cow
This is my title.

I watched it again yesterday. Now I really want to cosplay as Vanellope.

自由を愛しちゃう女の子だけ
Instagram
Pink Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-09, 18:44   Link #75
AnimeFan188

Wreck-It Ralph Director Wants to Put Mario in Possible Sequel:

"Wreck-It Ralph film director Rich Moore told the Moviehole website that the staff
wants to put Nintendo's Mario character in the possible sequel. "We'll really come up
with something good for Mario to do [in the next film]. To be able to present him in
the sequel, would be great." Moore confirmed that Mario was absent from the
original film because Moore could not find a place for Mario in the story — and not
because Nintendo refused to allow Mario to be in the film."

See:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...ossible-sequel
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-09, 20:40   Link #76
Soverence

Went to see it Friday, overall it was a good movie but the 3D felt really unneeded, probably would have enjoyed it more in 2D since there was really very little 3D in this movie, but I digress.

I feel like it was a happy ending for Ralph, he got what he truly wanted out of all of it, so even if he deserved more, he was more then happy with what he had earned in his adventure.
Soverence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-09, 21:06   Link #77
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soverence View Post
overall it was a good movie but the 3D felt really unneeded
Welcome to EVERY 3D movie I've seen since the craze started. Tron, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, the list goes on. It's the biggest scam to extort additional funds from the moviegoer I've ever seen; you end up sticking on the glasses just so you can see the damn thing in one image, not because it comes out of the screen or anything. I remember when this shit was equivalent to childlike wonder, like with Spy Kids 3-D: Game Over. The movie was bad sure, but it was fun and the 3D was actually 3D. I had to pay $16.50 for Pirates 4 because it was in 3D and there was no other choice. No seriously.

Cinema 3D is bad. Kill the plague before it kills us. That or have the option to pick, you greedy bastards.

Ranting aside, really good flick, didn't really know what to expect of it but it was well played. I had a similar experience to this when I watched Scott Pilgrim; it was a dead crowd but I really enjoyed it. Why was nobody in the damn theatre? Don't tell me they were all next door watching Twilight or something.
Old 2012-12-09, 21:30   Link #78
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
Cinema 3D is bad. Kill the plague before it kills us. That or have the option to pick, you greedy bastards.
Most do have the option to pick. Sounds like you have a bad theatre, as I've never seen 3D only for a movie at the one I go to.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-10, 00:40   Link #79
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Most do have the option to pick. Sounds like you have a bad theatre, as I've never seen 3D only for a movie at the one I go to.
I've traveled around a 5 hour radius in each direction of my city, which even hits the well-known large cities, and had absolutely nothing. I'm sure there are a few hidden around that do give the choice, but out of 15 theatres I saw, nothing.
Old 2013-09-10, 12:00   Link #80
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

I finally got time to watch this movie and i love it!

It has a great funny and heartwarming story of what it means to be a Hero and all of the video game references was very nostalgic.