AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Old 2007-12-26, 05:50   Link #241
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoy78 View Post
I hope ShinsenSubs can finish the entire series.

Props to them for taking on Macross Frontier.
We will as long as it remains unlicensed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
To me, the only big hurdles wit the Macross timeline is the animation crew trying to make older technology new again.

Though I think they did an AMAZING job with Macross Zero in that department. But the oldschool Macross designs really do look very antiquated and I'm sure they'll have to play that out for modern audiences. And so far, I have no major qualms about Macross Frontier's portrayal of the technology.
Not really an issue since technology as far as space travel is concerned has really gone no where in the past 25 years. All the concepts they use are still supported by theoretical science, and the original mech designs were based after a conceptual(at the time) design for a future F-16 fighter plane style that is still being developed. A fight that has the ability to change its wing orientation, which they have made a bit of progress on bit not a lot.

The space ships, uniforms, spacesuits, tactical rooms, etc... Design has not really changed at all since Macross DYRL. All they have done is used newer technology which can depict certain aspects in much greater detail than hand painted cells, i.e. the transformations, tactical displays, explosions/shotting/folds, etc... But I think that the character art is not as good as DYRL. they characters are more generic looking in this. They don't seem to have as much of contrast and uniqueness as the characters had in the original series. I'm only referring to the art mind you and it must be taken into consideration that this is common in almost all series these days since the onset of animation being done on computers. Computers help keep things consistent at the loss of design contrast threshold when the design is abstraction.
getfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-26, 06:42   Link #242
pinoy78
Yahk, DECULTURE!

Here's the video from where pictures above came from.

It's certainly a real treat for a mecha fan like myself to see Kawamori build something from scratch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0pSUdKjxTk
pinoy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-26, 07:01   Link #243
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by getfresh View Post
Not really an issue since technology as far as space travel is concerned has really gone no where in the past 25 years. All the concepts they use are still supported by theoretical science, and the original mech designs were based after a conceptual(at the time) design for a future F-16 fighter plane style that is still being developed. A fight that has the ability to change its wing orientation, which they have made a bit of progress on bit not a lot.
Well, that and they could put in some other technologies that coexist. Ala re-re-redone remakes of Star Wars in recent years with all the new technology they are injecting. Maybe a bit Star Trekkish too.

Quote:
The space ships, uniforms, spacesuits, tactical rooms, etc... Design has not really changed at all since Macross DYRL. All they have done is used newer technology which can depict certain aspects in much greater detail than hand painted cells, i.e. the transformations, tactical displays, explosions/shotting/folds, etc... But I think that the character art is not as good as DYRL. they characters are more generic looking in this. They don't seem to have as much of contrast and uniqueness as the characters had in the original series. I'm only referring to the art mind you and it must be taken into consideration that this is common in almost all series these days since the onset of animation being done on computers. Computers help keep things consistent at the loss of design contrast threshold when the design is abstraction.
I sort of agree with the character design, but maybe they're doing for the sake of easier animation. And so far it looks great in movement. As for the rest, the scale and pomp of the sci-fi reminds me of old times.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-26, 07:10   Link #244
Tenerezza

getfresh: So any chance you guys will release a HD ver of this? Specially as this anime seems to be made for HD?

If not guess I need to still wait till a group do it.
Tenerezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-26, 07:57   Link #245
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Oh boy. I finally got around to watching it (yes, a few hours wait was agonizing), and wow did it deliver.

For one, I loved seeing how free flowing the characters are in terms of animation. It has a bit of a crude quality that also lets it be more open ended in terms of how well it can transition to action scenes. Also, static and still-face moments are very detailed for the more serious characters too.

And I always wanted to see more cute fanservice in a mecha show (missing that from the early Gundam Seed panty-overdose) and this show showed some of that.

Manly men and cute, sexy girls. Amazing.

Oh, and the music could possibly be one of Yoko Kanno's best for a Macross show yet. The way it flowed with the action was probably done better than ever.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-26, 08:01   Link #246
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Oh, and the music could possibly be one of Yoko Kanno's best for a Macross show yet. The way it flowed with the action was probably done better than ever.
It was good and a massive improvement over her Darker Than Black score but it's definitely not on a Macross Plus level yet. Though this is coming from someone who thinks nothing she's done this decade comes close to her Macross Plus, Escaflowne and Brain Powered scores.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-26, 09:27   Link #247
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Loved the first episode now lets see if it can keep up the pace. Macross is never an inbetween with me, its always i love it or i hate aspects of it. But so far a pretty nice start.
Old 2007-12-26, 09:39   Link #248
ruurguy

Quote:
The VA for hikaru is dead. They have retired his character 100%. 2012 flashback is the closest thing you'll get to "closure". That basically gives you the "happily ever-after" ending for them. I have seen all the Macross Series and Movies what have you. Though I have not heard the drama CD's in which they supposedly did more with the original characters. I don't know if it was storys that were suppose to take place during the original series or after 2012. 1996 was the last drama cd done before hikarus VA died tragically/commited suicide/died in a traffic accident, or whatever other reason for his death thats floating around.

An answer the questions on is this related to other macross series.

All Macross series are related, there is no alternate universe for Macross like there is in Gundam. The only Macross series that Macross F does not use as a source is Macross II, because Macross II takes place 80years(I think) after the end of the first saga. So 40 or 50 years later from this series.

On the same point, knowing the whole background isn't needed to understand what is going on. They will explain it no doubt over the course the show. Knowing the full history will just let you know whats going on alot sooner =)
I'm pretty sure Macross II actually is not considered canon at all. It didn't involve Studio Nue who were the original creators of Macross, and a lot of its plot just can't really fit into the timeline that the other Macross series have that had Studio Nue's input.

Nice job on the sub though, leaps and bounds ahead of the other one we had to deal with so far. Thanks again!
ruurguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-26, 09:59   Link #249
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
I will agree that what we heard from her new score in the first episode was very high quality, it's easily the return of epic Yoko Kanno, though i don't think we should go ahead and say something like 'best Macross score' yet. I need to hear what else she has in-store for us.
Old 2007-12-26, 10:40   Link #250
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenerezza View Post
getfresh: So any chance you guys will release a HD ver of this? Specially as this anime seems to be made for HD?

You can't make an HD encode of something that was never broadcast in HD, so the answer is for now is no. If they happen to rebroadcast it in HD I'm sure we will release an HD version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenerezza View Post

You can't make an HD encode of something that was never broadcast in HD, so the answer is for now is no. If they happen to rebroadcast it in HD I'm sure we will release an HD version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruurguy View Post
I'm pretty sure Macross II actually is not considered canon at all. It didn't involve Studio Nue who were the original creators of Macross, and a lot of its plot just can't really fit into the timeline that the other Macross series have that had Studio Nue's input.

Nice job on the sub though, leaps and bounds ahead of the other one we had to deal with so far. Thanks again!

No it's not an alternate, it just takes place later in the time line. When it was created it was directly based off the original, not to be parallel. Yeah studio nue hand nothing to do with it but that doesn't change the fact that unlike things like the gundam universes where they create whole new background and foundations this held true to its origin. All Macross series after Macross II have yet to go forward enough in time enough to even give the possibility of Macross II's plot coming into play. I will still consider it a part of the correct universe as it was originally writen with that purpose in mind.

In the end though what does it matter what the affiliation is since it takes place 30 or 40 years after the current timeline.

Last edited by getfresh; 2007-12-26 at 11:16.
Old 2007-12-26, 10:45   Link #251
hai_san

well i am just a die hard macross, the animation and music was top, can wait to see the next episode. For now Sheryl and Ranka are my first and second most favorite character, Alto? mmm need to see how he developes for now he still needs to catch up to Hikaru...

"It's a come on dont be late"
hai_san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-26, 11:18   Link #252
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by hai_san View Post
well i am just a die hard macross, the animation and music was top, can wait to see the next episode. For now Sheryl and Ranka are my first and second most favorite character, Alto? mmm need to see how he developes for now he still needs to catch up to Hikaru...

"It's a come on dont be late"
lol... "It's a come on dont be late" <- that was a guess, to be honest until we get the official lyrics for those insert songs I wouldn't place too much weight on the engrish lines. Multiple people listen to those songs over and over and we were all hearing diff things in certain places...

Gotta love engrish...
Old 2007-12-26, 13:05   Link #253
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Just watched epi 1, I haven't been this excited since.. since...

Why does the ending song remind me of something?
Old 2007-12-26, 13:46   Link #254
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon View Post
Why does the ending song remind me of something?
Do you even need to ask?
Old 2007-12-26, 14:26   Link #255
kimchipride
Geass User

Pretty damn good episode. Doesn't beat my Geass though. I'm eagerly waiting for the next episode.
Old 2007-12-26, 14:43   Link #256
Hage-bai
Banned

Excellent first episode. One of the few releases too look forward to in '08.
Hage-bai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-26, 14:55   Link #257
Boohahaha

Quote:
lol... "It's a come on dont be late" <- that was a guess, to be honest until we get the official lyrics for those insert songs I wouldn't place too much weight on the engrish lines. Multiple people listen to those songs over and over and we were all hearing diff things in certain places...

Gotta love engrish...
lol what about the 2nd song "What about my star", that was even harder to decipher.
Boohahaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-26, 15:10   Link #258
Jerseykid

That was enjoyable and i have never seen any macross stuff. It's ashame they are destroying the colony, I like that furturistic setting and seeing how people live.
Jerseykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-26, 15:40   Link #259
Cadorna

Send a message via MSN to Cadorna
^the enemy always in the macross series hit hard on the colony and the defense force
Cadorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-26, 16:06   Link #260
hai_san

Quote:

Gotta love engrish...
well the the "Up toward the Heavens" from Michael is also a guess , but who cares about the lyric since 99% of japanese songs in anime have a mix of engrish, as long as the melody, rhythm and the voice match (eg. Lucky Star OP song). Also considering i dont know japanese who cares lyrics ....

funny thing i notice in the beginnging of song is the sequence when the Valkyrie lauches there is an air traffic controller sending hand signals (to the Pilot? even in the year 2059(?) and in space too...LOL)
hai_san is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, romance