AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Suisei no Gargantia

Notices

View Poll Results: Suisei no Gargantia - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 10 10.99%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 18 19.78%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 33 36.26%
7 out of 10 : Good 20 21.98%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 5.49%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 2.20%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 3.30%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2013-05-05, 22:40   Link #81
yankky5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
I felt kinda bad for Chambers this week, no respect at all.

Otherwise a pretty decent episode. Had no problem with the fanservice, but I didn't enjoy the airing nearly as much as last week due to the lack character development or anything really substantial learned. Could have also done without the Okama part too, aside from that I don't have much to say.
Aye, a mech thats over 1,000 years ahead gargantia's current tech is used as a barbecue grill.... haha well they sure are resourceful
Old 2013-05-05, 22:42   Link #82
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeomni View Post
4) They made a big deal about collecting rain water an episode ago. Then they waste gallons of water with a giant sprinkler! I wanted to do a tsukkomi, "Why is this necessary?"
If you were paying attention you'd notice bellow the tower is a farm.
Old 2013-05-05, 22:49   Link #83
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Wtf is with crossdressing this week? Red Data girl had some this week, and so did this week's episode of Gargantia. Did someone secretly hire Mari Okada or something??! Seriously, "THAT" scene from this episode just screamed something Okada would include for shits and giggles D:.

Anyways, onwards with the episode proper. Typical "beach" episode. Lots of fanservice but it did have some lulz moments, particularily Chamber. Him nuking the meat the first time round and then getting punished by being literally used as a BBQ. I lold pretty hard. Not too mad we have a breather episode, but hopefully that would be it in terms of "filler" because this is only a 1cour series.
Old 2013-05-05, 22:50   Link #84
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
I gotta admit, it’s not my usual taste, but I was kinda smitten with Melty. There was something about her this ep that was kinda alluring to me, esp
Spoiler for ep 5 pic:

view of her, esp her eyes =03…. YEAH, I said it!

If I may take a brave guess, the indicator starts sounding off with a name like "Melty." She obviously melts when certain conditions are met in certain situations. HELLOOOO! Yeah, she is alluring!

I liked this episode a lot, especially the little aerial race. Brought the memory from couple of years back when I had a para-gliding session in Utah. Nothing can beat the sensation of your feet dangling above ground while moving at some pace.
Old 2013-05-05, 22:55   Link #85
mikeomni

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
If you were paying attention you'd notice bellow the tower is a farm.
I did, but the sprinkler appeared to cover an area larger than just the farm. Looking at about 18:00 minutes you'll see the spray goes beyond the circular base of the farm. Seems like they were wasting water with such a strong stream that didn't jive with ep4 statements that fresh water was valuable. I admit they make nice rainbows. And there wouldn't be an excuse to kite up to the pump. In the next scene change there were plants on house roofs but those didn't look wet in the animation.
Old 2013-05-05, 22:58   Link #86
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeomni View Post
I did, but the sprinkler appeared to cover an area larger than just the farm. Looking at about 18:00 minutes you'll see the spray goes beyond the circular base of the farm. Seems like they were wasting water with such a strong stream that didn't seem to jive with ep4 that fresh water was valuable. I admit they make nice rainbows. And there wouldn't be an excuse to kite up to the pump. In the next scene change there were plants on house roofs but those didn't look wet in the animation.
That entire ship is a farm: http://gargantia.jp/images/world/image/014_0.jpg
Old 2013-05-05, 23:02   Link #87
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
So it really is like Grallion.
Old 2013-05-05, 23:32   Link #88
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

This episode was nice, since I found Ledos' reactions quite natural and funny when he got stuck in the predicament to get delivery for Pinion.

To be honest I'm not that knowledgeable about the Gargantia, but if they can get the best out of both the sea and the sky to grow vegetation, do farming, and raise livestock on board the fleets, then they are able to keep things running for their population.
The only thing that makes me wonder, if there's need to expand the fleet when the High Command realizes that the population on board grows, do ships from other parts of the sea eventually join them in order to become part of their community?

Or each separate fleet is its own community?

Conclusion, a very nice breather episode yielding more about Ledo's adapting to his new lifestyle on board Gargantia and both learning and understanding the need to do a job in order to be useful; another environment outside of the battlefield, given that Bebels' words from the previous episode echoed within his mind.
Old 2013-05-05, 23:35   Link #89
U<3Anime
Boo!

Relaxing episode that gave me a few chuckles here and there. Feel like the series has been pretty slice of life so far, so this episode just fit right in.

Perhaps this will be the calm before the storm and pace will pick up right after?

By the way, seeing the gliders in action was pretty damn awesome.
Old 2013-05-05, 23:44   Link #90
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankky5 View Post
Aye, a mech thats over 1,000 years ahead gargantia's current tech is used as a barbecue grill.... haha well they sure are resourceful
Yeah, they seem like a pretty chill group most of the time. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
This really neat, thanks.
Old 2013-05-06, 00:27   Link #91
Pen3

Might i add that the professors assistant is incredibly cute and needs more air time
Old 2013-05-06, 00:33   Link #92
Eratas123

I really doubt Pinion made the party for Ledo He sends Ledo out without warning him and then tells Chamber to stay put when he says Ledo is in danger. He just wanted to gorge on meat and used Ledo as an excuse.
Old 2013-05-06, 00:45   Link #93
Kakkou
Tch.

Crimes against Pinion:

1. Putting Ledo in an aloha shirt.
2. Knowingly sending Ledo to be assaulted by okamas.
3. Abuse of Sugita-bot's rights.

Verdict: GUILTY. Execute the fool and throw him overboard!
Old 2013-05-06, 00:47   Link #94
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Fanservice aside, watching Ledo in this episode is like watching a child take even more baby steps into the world out there, a world he had never seen before and is slowly experiencing. He learns, adapts and adjusts to a new sort of life he is stuck with, perhaps for now, for better or for worse.

The episode puts into a much more lighter tone, minus the seriousness of the previous 4, the human sense of wonderment. The most relevant comparison I can make is like visiting another country for the first time, seeing it's people and it's culture and realizing that despite the wonders of technology, there are places and people out there so much more different than where you came from. Learning, seeing, experiencing, it's all part of the insatiable human curiosity.

In as much as Ledo comes from a human society so much more different and radicalized than the floating Gargantia or our own world in real life, that human wonderment and curiosity is one of those things almost inherent and genetic. Jist like him and anyone else for that matter, experiencing something new for the first time really brightens the eyes and the senses.

If anything, that's what Suisei no Gargantia masterfully accomplishes.
Old 2013-05-06, 01:01   Link #95
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Yeah, while it lacked that emotional punch of last week this was still good world building and a chance for Ledo to grow. The desire to actually get involved in the community and the pull that "being of use to others" has on him. At the end Amy's message that the party was partially for him meant something to Ledo.

He's still balancing between that and his thinking that the flutes he is building have no purpose. Despite the terror of what happened in the underground it is interesting watching him wanting to do something. He doesn't really have to do much of anything. In a sense "renting out" Chamber is taking care getting him paid. A good thing since work he has to do might not matter as much for Ledo as work he has chosen to do.
Old 2013-05-06, 01:08   Link #96
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I watched again and gained a bit better opinion of this ep. It held my interest a second time. There is plenty here to enjoy, even if the humour didn't strike my particular funny bone. I guess a world was built: this seems a version of the currently idealized post-war Showa period (plus spaceman, lol).

Afterward, I checked the staff list: script written by Tanimura Daishiro (episodes of Azazel-san, Kuroko no Basket, Shiwase no Pan). Under direction of Urobuchi Gen and Director Murata, of course.

Storyboard by Okamura Tensai (director of Wolf's Rain, Darker than Black, Ao no Exorcist).

And then directed by Ibata Yoshihide (eps. of Horizon, Total Eclipse; dir. of the hard-to-find Ashiaraiyashiki no Juunintachi).

Considering their credits, the writer and director seem as if they could be comparatively young. Storyboarder Okamura is 51.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2013-05-06, 01:29   Link #97
kakakka

I read the other day this is going to be a swimsuit episode, so I kinda expected a light episode to happen. While the episode did not gave anything meaningful info in terms of plot (like the compare/contrast of the worlds in last episode), I still find it really entertaining. Well, minus how they stretched the okama gag in the end (I expect it would only go up until Ledo's second pass to their turf. The third pass gag really stretched it out). I am not bothered with the fanservice. I don't know how to explain, but it just flowed well throughout for me. I don't even remember oggling for Ridgette(?) or Bellows or Amy or her friends (though I really liked how they looked).
Old 2013-05-06, 01:36   Link #98
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

This episode was pleasantly lighthearted and certainly the...silliest one so far. Though I also really would've preferred to learn more about Amy's background. Are she and Bebel orphans? Is the doctor perhaps their guardian?

Re. the meat; yes, I have to imagine they probably also raise some pigs as well since they require a lot less space and will eat just about anything. I'll also give them the benefit of the doubt and say banquets like that are very rare occasions, like something that's done twice or thrice a year at best.

One last thing; does tetanus not exist in this world? Using a rusty metal platform for a beach and all.
Old 2013-05-06, 01:48   Link #99
Iby
minority spirit(?)
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to Iby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Afterward, I checked the staff list: script written by Tanimura Daishiro (episodes of Azazel-san, Kuroko no Basket, Shiwase no Pan).
And the 2nd episode of Gargantia. (also he's writing novelization of series).
What's interesting is that both 3rd and a 4th were written by Nitro+ writers (the 4th was written by a former Nitro+ writer though; the 3rd was written by a writer who has transferred to Nitro+ but was working at TerraLunar company before and is responsible for the Rocket no Natsu scenario which has quite have good ratings).

Last edited by Iby; 2013-05-06 at 01:59.
Old 2013-05-06, 02:36   Link #100
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iby View Post
And the 2nd episode of Gargantia. (also he's writing novelization of series).
What's interesting is that both 3rd and a 4th were written by Nitro+ writers (the 4th was written by a former Nitro+ writer though; the 3rd was written by a writer who has transferred to Nitro+ but was working at TerraLunar company before and is responsible for the Rocket no Natsu scenario which has quite have good ratings).
There's one more Nitro+ writer involved in the project who hasn't written a script yet. Probably soon. He's the one writing the "Boy and Giant" spin off novel for Gargantia. Apparently set during Ledo's days in the military.

http://gargantia.jp/#product_23
Closed Thread