AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2007-10-23, 09:03   Link #21
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

actually SF EX on ye olde Playstation one was a solid game. after that, just like all series they try to spice things up for new casual players and end up taking a step backwards. but true, I dont want to see another 3D SF unless its revolutionary like the first two were in the arcade.
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-18, 03:17   Link #22
Tornix
The Evil Twin

Send a message via ICQ to Tornix Send a message via AIM to Tornix Send a message via Yahoo to Tornix
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Slasher View Post
oswald cheap? kula and gato are far worse in kof xi.
I totally agree. Kula, Gato, and Oswald are the three top tiers in XI, but at least Oswald is fairly difficult to use compared to the other two. That's probably why I don't mind it when I get beat by an Oswald player. Heh, either way, at least Elisabeth is returning in XII. Can't wait for it!

Like V-Slasher, I'm anticipating KoF XII more than SF4. I'm not too sure on how great SF4 will be considering that Capcom USA is in charge of development.
Old 2007-11-18, 08:31   Link #23
Js2756
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornix View Post
Like V-Slasher, I'm anticipating KoF XII more than SF4. I'm not too sure on how great SF4 will be considering that Capcom USA is in charge of development.
No, they're not. Capcom Japan is heading up SF4 development.
Old 2007-11-18, 10:03   Link #24
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Send a message via AIM to minhtam1638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Js2756 View Post
No, they're not. Capcom Japan is heading up SF4 development.
Now we're more unsure than ever.
minhtam1638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-18, 15:15   Link #25
Tornix
The Evil Twin

Send a message via ICQ to Tornix Send a message via AIM to Tornix Send a message via Yahoo to Tornix
I thought Capcom USA has the rights to the series? Even then, I wouldn't be surprised if they got another company to work on it considering how bad some of their recent fighters ::coughCFJcough:: have been.

Last edited by Tornix; 2007-11-18 at 15:32.
Tornix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-18, 15:46   Link #26
rg4619

Quote:
I thought Capcom USA has the rights to the series?
Yes, but nothing's stopping them from "outsourcing" development back to the parent company.

At any rate, the core developers from before are probably long gone, so it's impossible to predict how a new fighting game might turn out (SNK Playmore had to deal with the same situation, mind you).
rg4619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-18, 16:48   Link #27
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papaya View Post
There are plenty of *generally* balanced fighters though.
SF3: 3rd Strike is one of them.
I would say Melty Blood Act Cadenza Ver. B comes close too.
Sety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-18, 23:02   Link #28
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber

Melty Blood is one of the more balanced fighters due to its technicality in hitboxes and no infinite combo strings.
Haven't played much SF3 Third Strike though.

KoF 2003 was unbalanced? Really? I thought most KoF games are a lot more balanced due to the rolling aspect, but that's just me.

AIR 2005! Kanon 2006! CLANNAD 2007-2008! Planetarian OAV/Movie 2010?
Maceart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-19, 03:05   Link #29
kujoe
from head to heel

Well now...

Not exactly about Street Fighter itself, but am I the only one who thinks that the style that Capcom used in this teaser would really work for an Okami sequel?
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-19, 12:41   Link #30
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
About KOF2003: I only played when it came out, so I guess things are a bit more even now.

Quote:
Not exactly about Street Fighter itself, but am I the only one who thinks that the style that Capcom used in this teaser would really work for an Okami sequel?
It would be nice, but I doubt Okami would get a sequel from Capcom. For all its hype and critical acclaim, its sales were pretty terrible. That's why Clover got dissolved, after all.

EDIT:
Uh, I just realized, throughout this entire thread, I was mistaking KOF2003 for KOF XI.

Last edited by Papaya; 2007-11-20 at 00:21.
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-20, 18:27   Link #31
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I'm game for talking about games that I think are balanced fighters and unbalanced fighters. I hope for SFIV to be like any of these games:

Guilty Gear X: Before they overpowered Sol Badguy and made Johnny utterly useless like in X2.

Street Fighter Alpha 3: In my opinion the most balanced game of all the Street Fighters tied with Street Fighter 3 Third Strike. Used right, any of the 30 or so characters can be exceptionally useful. Shin Vega is also tough, but fair. He doesn't do overwhelming damage with each attack, but has a teleport and super you have to really watch out for.

Street Fighter 3 Third Strike: I would go so far as to say the boss of this game, Gill, is a shining example of how to make a boss tough, but reasonably fair. As long as you know how to deal with his resurrection (tapping him will knock him out of it) then all you have to deal with is his good range. He also actually has a super bar he has to obey for his ultimate move, and it can be blocked.

King of Fighters 97: Even the final boss in this game is kind of reasonable for a change in an SNK game and you have options to make the games super and cancel system more suitable to your tastes. Heidern is gone if I recall, and it just feels more playable and balanced overall. This is also the last game to be released on before they introduced the wretched Ratio System that broke 2000-2001 (I'd say 99 was still reasonably spared from it).

Garou Mark Of The Wolves: Finally SNK releases a game where the final boss isn't an overwhelming god. You can even use Kain in versus and it will feel balanced. No character is especially overpowered compared to the next (a rarity for SNK) and it let's you toggle the super system to points in a match where your game is best (called the TOP IN system). Very well done game that is now arguably a classic.

and games I feel are unbalanced. If SFIV is like any of these, I'll take a pass:

Art of Fighting 3: Pop in a quarter and watch the awkard fighting mechanics and extremely cheap super system suck it away. There is a 2 player mode, but it's hardly worth playing.

King of Fighters 2001: Most broken final boss I've ever seen in a game period. Igniz will take almost no damage, has instant cancels into supers that he can spam over and over and also cancel easily (due to not having a super bar he has to use) and one of the cheapest game killing super desperations I've ever seen in a game, that is unblockable, can come out at any time and will take away all your life. The only way to avoid it is to get lucky and jump over him, but since the collision box for the move is so huge it's all but impossible. The only real way to beat Igniz is to use the ratio system to your advantage in order to actually be able to damage him in any way that isn't negligable and that will just be healed on the next round, to time him out by playing a defensive game (much much harder then it sounds) or to exploit the Bao glitch and just cheese your way to a time out. Great job SNK on making a boring ass final boss. In the versus mode there's also some characters who are clearly more useful then others:

Athena: Speed, Power, Range, and a perfect Hit and Run game
Chang: Power and Massive Massive Range and Priority with the Ball and Chain leaving little room to even get near him to attack.
Clark Steel: His throws seem to have a range of like half the screen and are unblockable, damaging and extremely long and disorienting. Going anywhere near him is a death sentence and so is staying far away too.
Heidern: Massive range and the ability to drain health make this guy a cheapo.
Iori Yagamai: Range, Priority and Comboability up the wazoo. This guy has always been kind of cheap though.
Lin: Range, Poison Ability, Speed up the wazoo.

and those who are utterly useless:

May Lee: I don't even know what the heck she's supposed to do as a playing style other then to be a punching bag even on the highest difficulty setting.
Xiang Fei: See May Lee
Hinako: Slow, Easy To Combo On, Not Very Powerful Either
Angel: Never could figure out her Chain Circle Cancel System and if all she's got going for her is a complicated system to even make her playable, then she's not very useful even in the hands of an expert.
Chin: This slow old man should have been removed from the series a long time ago. His range move is so slow that it's actually possible to close the gap before it even comes out.

Tekken Tag Tournament: That's right, I'm trashing on Tekken Tag. I suppose the fact that all I ever saw anybody playing as at my university arcade were Jin, Kazuya, Heihachi, Paul and Law stood for something. Indeed all 4 of these characters have overwhelming speed, power and range. I've seen people I know are good players get utterly destroyed in 8 seconds because they accidentally picked somebody like Kunimitsu by accident when they meant to pick Jin. I've even seen people walk away from a game when they've done this is as well and give someone else a turn.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-21, 05:45   Link #32
Tone

SFA3 isnt as balanced as you would think, considering V-Ism > everything in that game.

SF3, ok, but Yun, Chun-Li and Ken are still ridiculous.

GGX iunno, but I'd say slash and AC are alright in terms of balance

MOTW is good, except Kevin whos really stupid.

KOF 2001 makes me want to punch things.

For the list of "Broken shit" add in KOF2003 and MvC2..
Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-21, 18:46   Link #33
Js2756
Thread Killer

V-ism is definitely by far the most dominating ism in Alpha 3, but there are some A-ism characters that can still compete well, like Sim, Gief, Chun, Guy, Gen, and M. Bison. Even a crummy character like A-Rog isn't terrible in the game.

KoF 97 was glitchy with BS infinites for some characters. KoF 98 was a better, more balanced game. Btw, KoF 97 is still my favourite KoF though, despite the flaws.
Old 2007-11-22, 00:19   Link #34
Tornix
The Evil Twin

After spending a lot of time playing Street Fighter Alpha 2 on GGPO I'd have to say it's one of the most balanced Street Fighter games. Although still recognizable, the tiers on Alpha 2 aren't nearly as distinct as Alpha 3.

I'll admit Garou is definitely a well balanced game and one of my favorites. But, is there a game where Gato isn't a beast? Oh yeah, forgot Kevin=too good.

MvC 1 can also be added to the broken list. So many infinites in that game....
Old 2007-11-22, 02:07   Link #35
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
And don't forget Garou also has Hotaru Futaba, the Loli Rapist. She's the guilty party in this case with her special move, see if you can spot the suggestive motion (Hint: It's really obvious):

Spoiler for Hotaru Super Move:

Somebody in SNK must have had something on there mind. Speaking of schoolgirls, I hope they bring back Sakura and Karin, though I guess they'd be in there 20's by now. Ryu and Ken are probably already pushing late 40's by this point.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-11-22 at 02:20.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-22, 05:57   Link #36
kujoe
from head to heel

We don't even know how many years have passed in this game. For all we know, with the SF being so convoluted at this point at this point I won't be surprised if it's "not much".

Ryu and Ken in their 40's? I'm pretty sure it'll still be the usual "The fight is all" for Ryu while Ken will probably be raising a family.

I do wish they'd add in the older characters though. When SFIII came out, it had too many new faces.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-22, 08:28   Link #37
Westlo
Lets be reality

Chun Li's alt outfit is made of win.

http://gamechariot.com/08movie_SF4.html
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-22, 09:47   Link #38
Amray

This is another game that I am anticipating a lot. I think that it is released in the UK in February 2009. Playing Street Fighter online is sure to be epic and amazing.
Amray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-22, 10:16   Link #39
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Finally a Thread of my All time favorite fighting game!

PS3 Cover

Xbox Cover

Anime Cut Scenes

Spoiler for Dan Returns!:

Spoiler for Sakura Vs Zangief:
Old 2008-10-22, 13:19   Link #40
Tornix
The Evil Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amray View Post
This is another game that I am anticipating a lot. I think that it is released in the UK in February 2009. Playing Street Fighter online is sure to be epic and amazing.
Well, it may not be SFIV, but you can play Street Fighter (and other fighters) online with 2DF or GGPO. In fact, they're actually using GGPO's netcode for SFIV. I prefer 2DF, though, due to the larger library.

Hmm, the covers don't seem to stand out to me as much as other games. I'm also kind of put off by the amount of shoto type characters they've added recently, but I'll still play. I can't wait to use Gief and Cammy.

Tags
capcom, fighting, ps3, recycling, windows, xbox360