Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2012-10-29, 16:35   Link #1
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Hurricane Sandy Discussion

Surprised there's not a thread on this considering it's been making headline news for the better part of a week, but basically it's this huge hurricane (apparently with more destructive potential than Katrina considering where it's hitting and how) that's about to make landfall around an hour or so from now around the North-East coast of the United States and parts of Canada and here in the Greater Toronto Area my family and I have been preparing for the worst this afternoon. Everybody on my street has basically already taken in everything that isn't bolted down (and believe me it already looks very windy) or really heavy and are anticipating a blackout rather soon and have been preparing our phones and laptops and not to mention some flashlights for what seems inevitable. There's a very good chance I won't be making able to make many more posts today regarding this, but if my phones wireless network holds up and god forbid the power actually stays on (unlikely) I should be able to leave some updates. Just hoping it's not going to be as bad as they're saying, but from the sounds of it it probably is.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-29, 16:42   Link #2
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Central Pennsylvania has been getting rained on for the last 24 hours, but it's not bad. The wind is moderate right now. Apparently gusting up to 30 MPH at the airport. They canceled class this afternoon at Penn State, which ticks me off because we'll have to make this crap up at the end of the semester...

It's really been just like any other rainy autumn day in State College/University Park.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-29, 16:46   Link #3
DorkingtonPugsly

I'm on my last few minutes of power... I was hoping I could watch Sakurasou ep 4 before I lost internet but no such luck, oh well.
This reminds me of last summer when I was in the Turks and Caicos Islands, with Hurricane Irene was it? I'm in CT so we're getting hit hard.
Anyways, looks like the wind is picking up a lot of speed, and so trees are going to fall. Stay safe, dry and warm everybody! Good luck.
Old 2012-10-29, 16:50   Link #4
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

I've been watching the live feed from the top to Rockefeller Tower all day. It started out as a general view of the city, then it panned over to view the fallen crane. It's a gray blob now as the clouds have moved in.

Live feed from Rockefeller Tower

Hang tight east coasters!

Endless "Hoping for the best, preparing for the worst" Soul
Old 2012-10-29, 17:02   Link #5
JagdPanther

We've had a few brown-outs throughout the afternoon, but power never actually went down. Most importantly, Internet has not gone out. I don't care about lights; I just want Internet connection.

EDIT: Had another brown-out just a minute ago. My one big worry, actually, is that the several brown-outs trip my battery back-up system. It's brand new as of late August. I'd be really irked if it blew out from so many off-on cycles in a short period.

Old 2012-10-29, 17:06   Link #6
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

so are we talking about Japan 2011 Tsunami scale sans nuclear stuff?

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-29, 17:16   Link #7
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
No, the winds and rain are strong, but not THAT strong. The area covered is immense in scale however and cold northern winds are bringing ice and snow. I'm in Toronto and we're getting wind and storm warnings with 90-100km/h winds due to hit us tonight .. (running out to grab dinner now .. hope I don't get swept away )

I have friends in New York and the suburbs here and down south with trees and powerlines are in more danger than I am up in my high-rise condo. Everyone stay safe here as well.. best wishes to all in the affected area!
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-29, 17:16   Link #8
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
Whoa...no. I wouldn't even say anything close to Katrina, either. I'm thinking more like "The Perfect Storm" redux. Or maybe another Irene amount of damage.
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-29, 17:30   Link #9
JagdPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilla View Post
Whoa...no. I wouldn't even say anything close to Katrina, either. I'm thinking more like "The Perfect Storm" redux. Or maybe another Irene amount of damage.
Speaking of Irene...

Old 2012-10-29, 17:38   Link #10
Xefi
癸亥 (guǐhài)
*Graphic Designer

one of my co-worker's son is in Brooklyn right now. he and his seven friends
were going a trip there to have fun. but now, his plane trip back is delay and they
are stuck over there. i hope nothing bad happens.

lucky for them, one of his relative lives near Brooklyn, so they are using her house to stay
for the time being.

anyways, hoping everyone on the east coast be safe from this craziness.

updates on Sandy:
Frankenstorm
Old 2012-10-29, 18:58   Link #11
jdennis007

I am in Brooklyn and so far so good for me. I am in zone C so I am safe from floods, I live on the 5th floor of a fireproof building so as long as power holds I am fine.
jdennis007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-29, 19:31   Link #12
Megacrash Gr
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Send a message via AIM to Megacrash Gr
The winds are just crazy, a couple of hours ago a crane collapsed, good thing no one got hurt. I like me having no school, but hopefully no one gets hurt.
Old 2012-10-29, 20:07   Link #13
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Connecticut is fine so far, seen some traffic signals without power though.
Old 2012-10-29, 20:21   Link #14
solomon

In DC worst stuff is at the shore and peeps near the Chessy Bay. Beaches are HAMMERED

I still have power but wind is just starting to get its strongest.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-29, 20:24   Link #15
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Maybe it will sweep out the trash in Washington? Or is the hot air from Congress defending the Capitol Building?
Old 2012-10-29, 21:08   Link #16
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The hurricane is sucking in a winter system with all the extra wet resulting in a blizzard on the Appalachians. Even more of the power grid is going down.
http://www.oregonlive.com/today/inde...plows_app.html

Super storms are the new normal. I particularly like the pictures of sharks swimming down 142nd in New York or the pods of sharks circling in front of houses in suburbs.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...m_hp_ref=media

I suspect we'll find the power grid and cellphone tower damage to take weeks to completely fix simply because of the "no reserve" staffing of power and telco companies.
Old 2012-10-29, 21:13   Link #17
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Super storms are the new normal. I particularly like the pictures of sharks swimming down 142nd in New York or the pods of sharks circling in front of houses in suburbs.
Here's the "sharks on bay street" picture from the flood here a couple of months back

willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-29, 21:15   Link #18
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Well now you guys are getting a taste of what we in SEA get on a nearly monthly basis.

Even then, we're always poorly prepared for typhoons/hurricanes.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-29, 21:27   Link #19
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Well now you guys are getting a taste of what we in SEA get on a nearly monthly basis.

Even then, we're always poorly prepared for typhoons/hurricanes.
I was raised in Southeast Texas (though I live in the Pacific Northwest now). Hurricanes are "normal" for the Gulf of Mexico -- those with extra clues build on stilts or just keep ground floor cheap. But these storms are a few power levels up just in sheer water volume, size, and energy - no matter where they hit.

I'm trying to imagine Sandy getting into the Gulf of Mexico and stalling for a week. :P
Old 2012-10-29, 21:33   Link #20
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I'm trying to imagine Sandy getting into the Gulf of Mexico and stalling for a week. :P
It would probably weaken due to upwelling.
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frankenstorm, hurricane, sandy