Notices

Old 2013-05-21, 22:06   Link #301
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
Honestly, I do not like the direction this industry is taking. Game developments are getting more expensive, developers stopped focusing on creative aspect, like game play, and started to focus on other useless junks gamers don't want.
Pretty much. The gaming industry is trying too hard to get too many customers. Gaming is NOT a mainstream activity, especially not triple-A gaming. It is niche, and it should be treated as such.

This is why the Tomb Raider reboot sold 3.4 million copies and Square Enix considers it a failure, while Dark Souls sold 2 million copies and From Software is laughing all the way to the bank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KleenexGhost View Post
If this keeps up then we might have a crash on our hands.
The industry could use a bit of housecleaning. Or a lot of it. With fire.
Old 2013-05-21, 22:06   Link #302
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
Haters will always hate
and defenders will always defend, your point?
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-21, 22:12   Link #303
Xagzan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Many of the people who developed the Rare franchises that gave the company its glowing reputation are long gone.
Yeeeep. It would be great if Nintendo could just hire them instead. I don't know if they're attached to anyone at the moment, though Grant Kirkhope is obviously no longer at Big Huge Games.

Rare being bought out was one of the greatest upsets in gaming history. Still sore over it.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-21, 22:16   Link #304
Destined_Fate

I wouldn't make any predictions yet that it has worse specs than the PS4 but it is very troubling that they're being very hush hush about it compared to Sony.

Quote:
That is my main problem. My brother and I both share a Xbox 360. We both play the same games on it and play said games on it under different gamertags. But with the Xbox One, if I play Halo 5 and sometime later on he wants to play it under his account, he'll have to pay the actual price of the game just to play it.

It's not right to say the least.
At least I got a nice laugh from this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbWgUO-Rqcw

Last edited by Destined_Fate; 2013-05-21 at 22:41.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-21, 22:24   Link #305
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
That is my main problem. My brother and I both share a Xbox 360. We both play the same games on it and play said games on it under different gamertags. But with the Xbox One, if I play Halo 5 and sometime later on he wants to play it under his account, he'll have to pay the actual price of the game just to play it.

It's not right to say the least.
Don't worry. I read somewhere that you'll only need to buy a game once for one system with multiple accounts. They were talking about if a family has an XBox One with multiple accounts, different users could play a game and only pay for the game once. It'll work for multiple accounts tied to one system.

Still, do you really want an XBox One anyway?
Old 2013-05-21, 22:36   Link #306
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Pretty much. The gaming industry is trying too hard to get too many customers. Gaming is NOT a mainstream activity, especially not triple-A gaming. It is niche, and it should be treated as such.

This is why the Tomb Raider reboot sold 3.4 million copies and Square Enix considers it a failure, while Dark Souls sold 2 million copies and From Software is laughing all the way to the bank.
Wii Sports was able to grab the "mainstream" customers. But Nintendo realised too late that those customers don't come back; that they feel no need to upgrade, or to buy another game when the first game they purchased was good enough.

Gamers buy multiple games and sometimes multiple consoles. But you can't turn the majority of the population into gamers who spend their disposable income on games.
Old 2013-05-21, 22:39   Link #307
defki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
I wouldn't many any predictions yet that it has worse specs than the PS4 but it is very troubling that they're being very hush hush about it compared to Sony.
It's all but confirmed at this point. Basically everything and every number that was revealed today by XBO tech talk was the same VGleaks leaked months ago just like with the PS4 (sans 8GB ram).
defki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-21, 22:52   Link #308
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Who in the world cares about specs between these two besides pseudo-techheads without stable jobs? I'm far from the only person in the world who owns an Xbox 360, PS3, and Wii.

We all know most games won't be exclusives to either console, just like this current generation, and since both consoles-from what we've seen-are at least in the same ballpark spec-wise, and use the same chip architecture, most games will be easily ported between the two (and the PC; whether that actually means we'll see more console games also given a PC port remains to be seen), whereas the Wii-U will be the odd man out. It'll be very similar to this current gen between the PS3 and Xbox 360 and Wii. Probably worse for the Wii-U due to the different chip architecture really.

For the person who asked why you can't just use a PC in your living room, it's the same reason why just about any remotely serious PC gamer I know also owns a console: console-only games.

The sheer amount of pointless obtuseness in any thread that relates to any console of any flavor shouldn't surprise me after 20 years of watching the same tired exaggerated rants about the world ending, but I'm here for the one or two posts that might actually try to talk about something relevant to the given console.

I'll try to refrain from getting involved in the future with the pointless fluff. You guys can ignore me as well as you swim in your self-gurgitation of self-flagellation and misery.

Anyways, for the few others out there who'd like to do more than /wristing, who thinks there's going to be a Halo 5 reveal at E3? After hearing about the Spielberg Halo TV series in collaboration with CBS and 343 Industries, I had to watch Forward Unto Dawn again when I got home. And then I thought, what are the odds Spielberg signed on to just do a TV series if there's no game as well after he mentioned how he thinks video game technology has finally matured enough for him to get involved. Gah! I can't wait!
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-21, 22:54   Link #309
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Don't worry. I read somewhere that you'll only need to buy a game once for one system with multiple accounts. They were talking about if a family has an XBox One with multiple accounts, different users could play a game and only pay for the game once. It'll work for multiple accounts tied to one system.

Still, do you really want an XBox One anyway?
Not really, my brother is a "X-Bot" literally the only thing the guy could talk about was graphics, kinect, and being able to chat live. Kinda superficial to me.

Personally, I'm a big fighting game fan. The PS3 controller always felt better to me when playing fighting games than the 360 one. Plus free online Frankly speaking, I'm content with my PS3. Don't really feel like I need to upgrade.
Old 2013-05-21, 23:00   Link #310
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Quote:
For the person who asked why you can't just use a PC in your living room, it's the same reason why just about any remotely serious PC gamer I know also owns a console: console-only games.
That person is me, and if you've been keeping up to date on recent history, you'll know that exclusives are dwindling and games are becoming more multiplatform, not just between consoles but also into PCs. That's not the main reason though. You say that people who own consoles have them for console-only games. If that's so, then it should also be pointed out that consoles have certain advantages over PC, namely ease-of-use and how easy it is to just pop the disc in and get playing.

So then why is microsoft trying to make their new console behave like PCs and require lengthy installs on top of linking games to accounts? If you're taking away the advantages a console has over a PC by making the console more like the latter, then the console just becomes less and less compelling to buy.
Old 2013-05-21, 23:00   Link #311
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post

Sony, but more particularly Microsoft, don't see the console industry as a gaming mecca, they see it as a Trojan Horse by which they can control your living room. They want "media devices", not gaming devices.

This is what makes them different from Nintendo. Nintendo, like them or not, is always trying to create new ways to play games and enjoy gaming. They're a gaming company, that's their job. They don't sell operating systems, or compete with iPhones, or make televisions. They make video game hardware and software. Like every business, they do stupid things and make mistakes, but they aren't trying to be the center of your entire life. Unless that entire life happens to be playing games on their systems.

Quote:
The industry could use a bit of housecleaning. Or a lot of it. With fire.
I agree. I miss SEGA.
Old 2013-05-21, 23:16   Link #312
Destined_Fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinova View Post
That person is me, and if you've been keeping up to date on recent history, you'll know that exclusives are dwindling and games are becoming more multiplatform, not just between consoles but also into PCs. That's not the main reason though. You say that people who own consoles have them for console-only games. If that's so, then it should also be pointed out that consoles have certain advantages over PC, namely ease-of-use and how easy it is to just pop the disc in and get playing.

So then why is microsoft trying to make their new console behave like PCs and require lengthy installs on top of linking games to accounts? If you're taking away the advantages a console has over a PC by making the console more like the latter, then the console just becomes less and less compelling to buy.
Eh.

The PC will never have a SRW game so it means that I'm either gonna have to stick with a Vita or grab a PS4 for my SRW fix.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-21, 23:23   Link #313
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Well I never thought Dark Souls would go to the PC but it did. On the flipside I didn't think they were going to put visual novels on the console, but they did just that.
Old 2013-05-21, 23:36   Link #314
Angelic Cross
Soul-eating Librarian

Hmm, huge console that pretty much gives the middle finger to used games. I assume it's safe to conclude that MS has given up on Japan?
Angelic Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-21, 23:44   Link #315
defki

Quote:
meh
...oh boy way to miss the point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinova View Post
Well MS is trying to create an universal multimedia box not just a console after all. They want to create a box that includes TV, Internet, PC and console games etc. Also unlike with a PC MS has full control over the XBO. Things like linking games to accounts and always online gives them much more control over their box and the content. For a lot of people such a box is much more appealing than just a mere console or PC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelic Cross View Post
Hmm, huge console that pretty much gives the middle finger to used games. I assume it's safe to conclude that MS has given up on Japan?
MS gave up on Japan 3 or so years ago and never looked back. I doubt they will try again as hard as this gen. Their main target is the US market and they will do everything to secure it.
defki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 00:22   Link #316
Alchemist007
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
Which is why I'm unconvinced.

There's also this as well that I hate.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/05/21...erent-account/
That's definitely one nail for the coffin.

In this case they seem to be testing the audience. "How much shit can we get away with guys?"
We can tell them, will they listen?
Old 2013-05-22, 00:29   Link #317
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist007 View Post
In this case they seem to be testing the audience. "How much shit can we get away with guys?"
We can tell them, will they listen?
Microsoft is definitely getting scared by the backlash. They are back-pedalling by calling the 24 hour sign in requirement a "potential scenario" now. This means they are seriously considering dropping the requirement entirely... if the complaints are loud enough.

"Potential scenario?" That's suspicious. That's "we are doing this, but we really don't want to admit to it right now".

http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/21/435...r-offline-play
Old 2013-05-22, 00:45   Link #318
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Interesting. Call of Duty Ghosts is on the Playstation Store with an ad that says:

Is this a roundabout way of saying the Xbox One will be released then or shortly prior? COD: Ghosts was one of the very few games shown at the release today.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 00:54   Link #319
kyp275
Meh

the saddest part of all this is that you actually do see some people defending MS's ideas as "good".

Yes, even the used-game fee part.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 01:06   Link #320
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
If they'd just stop going so insane with budgets and go the Steam route of frequent sales and package deals, they'd kill Gamestop's used-game bonanza and get all the money for themselves.