AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-01-09, 22:01   Link #101
leokiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by karuroso View Post
LOOOL this ep was like a homage to Onegai Teacher, the nostalgia! I did not expected that, this time we have hot senpai instead of hot teacher =D (by the way Teacher was MUCH better than Twins to me)
I simply thought they would have the character desing resembling a bit and some other minor elements from the Teacher, and just this but the extent of elements from Teacher are much more of what I thought they would use, like all the alien stuff and the living together parts, the OP even had the same clothes Mizuho used
This^.

Similarities(a few you already mentioned):
-Alien teacher, Alien Senpai.
-The guy was ill on Onegai Teacher, here his body was destroyed by the heroine herself.
-Live on the same house.
-Love triangle.

Character-wise, I believe it was already pointed out ^^

And I agree with everyone that: Onegai Teacher>Onegai Twins any time. Characters in the former were much more likeable.

Last edited by leokiko; 2012-01-09 at 22:31.
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 22:29   Link #102
Akarin

Wow, this anime is looking alot like Onegai Teacher. Welcome back, Ichigo Morino. I missed you.

Rewatching Onegai Teacher now. (Onegai Teacher > Onegai Twins in my opinion)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Mizuho -5 years -> Ichika... 160 cm, 41 kg and 91 bust
She's an alien, it doesn't matter.
Akarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 22:37   Link #103
Key Board
Carbon

you know realize that Onegai Teacher was 10 years ago
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 22:38   Link #104
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
@LostMyMusic: Not if her breast accounts for half her weight
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 22:38   Link #105
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
you know realize that Onegai Teacher was 10 years ago

So?
Old 2012-01-09, 22:40   Link #106
Key Board
Carbon

just feeling old, I guess

Imagine a time before facebook and twitter was a giant and the Ipod was still as large as a deck of cards..
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Old 2012-01-09, 22:42   Link #107
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Quote:
just feeling old, I guess

Imagine a time before facebook and twitter was a giant and the Ipod was still as large as a deck of cards..

There are a fair number of people in here in their 40's (of whom I am one), and even a few in their 50's and even 60's.

So being able to imagine such a thing is not very difficult.
Old 2012-01-09, 22:44   Link #108
Malkuth
Banned

@KeyBoard: A time without Naruto, Bleach, and Horizon... when late night shows were for adults not teenagers, and handled ephebophilia, pregnancy, incest, death, depression, drugs, suicide, and all that jazz... yeah... I am growing old too
Old 2012-01-09, 22:48   Link #109
Key Board
Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post

There are a fair number of people in here in their 40's (of whom I am one), and even a few in their 50's and even 60's.

So being able to imagine such a thing is not very difficult.
I'll be sure to remember your words when I am 40.. xd

anyway.. it's been 10 years since onegai teacher, but how many years has it really been within the timeline of the story?

Is Lemon really Ichigo?

IIRC, she had a weird aging problem like the protagonist of Onegai Teacher
Old 2012-01-09, 22:56   Link #110
Malkuth
Banned

Quote:
Is Lemon really Ichigo?
Of course... is there anyone doubting it? If you remember she also had memory lapses along with her "off" period like the MC... obviously helped both to keep their young looks, Ichigo even braided twin-tails to mislead unobservant viewers
Old 2012-01-09, 23:04   Link #111
Key Board
Carbon

well, I'm not certain because of the art-style change

but she's voiced by Tamura Yukari who also played Morino

oh, interesting trivia

Morino Ichigo = Forest Strawberry
Yamano Lemon = Mountain Lemon
Old 2012-01-09, 23:10   Link #112
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

This show is flat out terrible.

Everything from the space alien ship at the very beginning to the end was just so so wrong. Yeah, you heard me, 95% of this episode was extremely poor.

Too many cooks spoil the broth.

Who in the world thought that meshing together a romantic comedy with a sentimental melodrama and a tinge of misused sci-fi with these character was a good idea?

Everything just worked against each other, the pieces just don't fit. All the jokes and little funny things that were presented to us were dead on arrival. One reason was the execution seemed a little off, but the atmosphere of a sentimental melodrama just utterly killed the comedy... And guess what? Most of the episode consisted of things that were very romcom in nature.

And then at the end when they finally want to bring in the drama it just utterly falls flat no matter the execution because most of the episode has created a very bad cognitive dissonance.

Lets not mention the fact that for whatever reason we are going to use the plot of some alien enrolling in a school as a "cute" girl who apparently is going to try her best to act like humans. Seriously this plot line is ridiculously absurd and maybe it would've fit in with the atmosphere of a romcom, but NOoooooooo.... We had to use the atmosphere of a sentimental drama! Wait what? You want me to laugh at just how silly everything is but take it seriously at the same time?

Sorry, that is not how my brain processes things.

Worst premiere of the season. Send this back to the drawing board JC staff, 2/10.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 23:20   Link #113
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Hmm...

An opening episode that could go a lot of directions.

If it goes the typical rom-comedy plot then it will be a lackluster so-so anime.

If it does something different... the maybe it will turn out to be a decent surprise sleeper.

I think the key will be how they develop the love triangle. If it develops like a Magical Girlfriend show I think it won't be that great- but if it becomes something where the alien is a catalyst for everyone in the group instead of an actual romantic option... then maybe this could be something interesting.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 23:24   Link #114
Utsuro no Hako

Enjoyable first episode except for the last two minutes, which were so over-telegraphed that a four year old could've predicted the ending. I'll admit the sister's reaction was hilarious and well-executed, but surely they could've come up with something less cliched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Who in the world thought that meshing together a romantic comedy with a sentimental melodrama and a tinge of misused sci-fi with these character was a good idea?
I agree, Kashimashi is a horrible show. But this is the Ano Natsu thread.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 23:28   Link #115
leokiko

Wow. Such hate. I thought this was quite good, and...worst premiere of the season?

Do you seriously think this was worse the High School DxD?
Old 2012-01-09, 23:29   Link #116
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

S'okay ... folks are entitled to their opinions and tastes and all....
Old 2012-01-09, 23:45   Link #117
leokiko

I know but, i didn't expect that...
Old 2012-01-09, 23:56   Link #118
Zoel

Super 8 in anime form?
Zoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 00:12   Link #119
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
My immediate reaction after finishing this episode:

"That was pretty good. Nice atmosphere, mostly likable characters, decent balance between sentimental drama and comedy. It makes me think of Anohana evenly mixed with Toradora, with just a pinch of Tamayura ~Hitotose~, and that's a great anime recipe overall.

This sci-fi/alien twist could throw off the overall taste though. JC Staff will need to be very careful with how they handle that or it could undermine the pretty good down-to-Earth and low-key atmosphere the show has going on right now."

Then I came on this thread, and was reminded of Onegai Teacher. And, yeah, I definitely can now see how this anime is a homage to Onegai Teacher. And so, that pretty drastically changes how I perceive Ano Natsu now.

Ano Natsu could still be very good, but I won't lie: I never liked Onegai Teacher as much as I did Anohana.

My take on the characters, and the overall drama/comedy balance, remains much the same though, so I'll be cautiously optimistic going forward.

8/10 for Episode 1.
Old 2012-01-10, 00:29   Link #120
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Count me in the camp that Twins > Teacher, but that should be pretty obvious as to why.

And unfortunately for me, Ano Natsu de Matteru seems to be heading the same direction. Not that I didn't expect it, considering even the PV shouted "We're retelling Onegai Teacher!" lols.

Go Kanna! Hopefully things don't turn out the same this time around. (Though to be honest, I kinda like her better with playboy-with-heart-of-gold-whose-name-I-forget. XD)

BTW, what's the abbreviation for this show? AnoMatte?

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
romantic comedy, shounen