AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-04-22, 17:24   Link #341
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

pretty sure in 70 years time someone can make lightning to be efficient enough to use for normal firebender.

but say if you compare triple triad leader vs Azula. pretty sure Azula will win

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 18:20   Link #342
Rennir
Quietly Lurking
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
pretty sure in 70 years time someone can make lightning to be efficient enough to use for normal firebender.

but say if you compare triple triad leader vs Azula. pretty sure Azula will win
Not sure what exactly you mean by efficient. A watered down version of what Azula could do? What would be the point of learning a weaker version of an existing technique?

But assuming that you are right, the mere act of generating lightning requires a certain frame of mind that in the first series, only Iroh, Ozai, and Azula could achieve. It doesn't matter what the strength of the technique is, because in order to even initiate the technique a firebender has to be pretty advanced and train themselves mentally. Unless you're suggesting that the entire population of firebenders, or a big portion of them, are mentally at the same level as Ozai, Iroh, and Azula, I just don't see how lightning bending is plausible.
Old 2012-04-22, 19:38   Link #343
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennir View Post
Not sure what exactly you mean by efficient. A watered down version of what Azula could do? What would be the point of learning a weaker version of an existing technique?
by simplifying the method of colliding ying and yang. this may result weaker lightning but you dont have to be "very" skilled (as in Royal family level skill) to generate lighning.

also probably a reason why only Royal family can do it is because "lightning generation technique" is kept secret unleash you are royal family. say if someone expert in firebender like Jeong knew secret of this technique. he probably can do this as well

Zuko possibly released "lightning generation technique" to public and create a school for it like Toph do with metal bending.

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 19:51   Link #344
morbosfist
Spinning Lotus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
The problem is if lightning is difficult to use then it won't matter how many years the information is out there. If these people are skilled enough to use it they should be further up the ladder than being in a power factory. Besides what's the point of throwing Zuko into that pattern when we never saw him be able to use lightning? Learning how to re-direct it and actually creating it are two completely different things.
Being able to perform a difficult skill doesn't necessarily mean that skill is in high demand. The power plant pays well, sure, but overall lightning isn't going to see much everyday use compared to ordinary firebending.

Also, while Zuko may not have been able to do it himself, he was taught how. It was his emotional issues that kept him from doing that. It's fair to say ending the war probably gave him the peace of mind he needed to pull it off.
Old 2012-04-22, 21:07   Link #345
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

...oh boy, the Mako/Korra vibes...is this the answer to the Zutara of yester-season...?
Old 2012-04-22, 21:19   Link #346
ellifeedn
Thinker

I know it's really early to be thinking about this, but I just find this idea funny. If the Avatar-verse (did the fans give this series' universe a name yet?) is following a similar pattern to our world, then the Avatar after Korra would be living in roughly the same time period we are currently living in right now. Can anyone imagine what it would be like for that Avatar to try and balance Avatar duties (mastering the elements and protecting the world) and living a normal life in a modern world (going to school, electronic devices, socializing with friends)?
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 23:12   Link #347
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Hmm, thinking a little more about the lightening bending (after rewatching the episode and catching that part) I have a theory to add on about why more people can do it. In the original they were at the end of a hundred year war, ie, 100 years of probably training fire bending soldiers as quickly as possible so they could be sent out as fast as possible and not devoting the time to higher level techniques such as lighting bending. Thus, not only has there been a 70 year gap between series there's been a 70 year peace where people can actually take the time to train up. Plus, I'm betting at the power plant they probably have at least quick training/testing to make sure all the firebenders can lighting bend properly and probably turn away plenty of people who can't do it.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-23, 08:59   Link #348
Neki Ecko
Dancing with the Sky

Send a message via Yahoo to Neki Ecko
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
Hmm, thinking a little more about the lightening bending (after rewatching the episode and catching that part) I have a theory to add on about why more people can do it. In the original they were at the end of a hundred year war, ie, 100 years of probably training fire bending soldiers as quickly as possible so they could be sent out as fast as possible and not devoting the time to higher level techniques such as lighting bending. Thus, not only has there been a 70 year gap between series there's been a 70 year peace where people can actually take the time to train up. Plus, I'm betting at the power plant they probably have at least quick training/testing to make sure all the firebenders can lighting bend properly and probably turn away plenty of people who can't do it.
They probably added those type of training during those years, like Metalbending and Lightning to core of the new and older benders. Now I am waiting to see if Korra knows alittle bit about other bending styles like swamp bending and bloodbending. Besides is it me, but her personally mind yall of her being a Fire bender then Water bender, or its just me?
Old 2012-04-23, 10:31   Link #349
Kirarakim

Just a note, I haven't seen anything about lightning specifically but in the comic "the Promise" which takes place inbetween the first series & Korra; we learn Toph started a metal bending school.

I wouldnt be surprised if Zuko found some firebenders who knew lightning to pass down the technique as well.

Clearly a lot can change in 70 years & I just see that bending has evolved.
Old 2012-04-23, 10:41   Link #350
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
The problem is if lightning is difficult to use then it won't matter how many years the information is out there. If these people are skilled enough to use it they should be further up the ladder than being in a power factory. Besides what's the point of throwing Zuko into that pattern when we never saw him be able to use lightning? Learning how to re-direct it and actually creating it are two completely different things.
Still it wasn't like we were seeing every random fire bender using it only a hand full of people.

Think about it Mako wouldn't be getting "good pay" to shoot lightning at a generator of it's something any old fire bender could do, so probably not. Also have you thought that they're good enough to use it in a factory setting, but I highly doubt they're good enough to use it in full fledged combat.

I thought I'd take the time to turn my thoughts to Bolin's lack of Earth skill for now.

This is possibly the best analyst I've read about Bolin's fighting style....

Quote:
okay so a lot of people are saying that everyone who thinks bolin is a bad bender are picking on him and he’s only bent in two episodes to which i say

that’s totally probending style. small bricks of earth, keeping flexible, mainly on the defensive. he follows through waaaay too much and he’s too light on his feet. being an earthbender [traditionally] is about being stubborn, holding your ground- which instills a sense of pride which is a BIG EARTHBENDER THING that he’s… not really doing.

i seriously doubt bolin ever got the chance to train properly as anything other than a probender because he never had to, whereas mako is incredibly focused and stubborn no matter what he chooses to do and could probably master traditional firebending reasonably quickly.

when he’s backed into a corner and panicking he constructs a wall but it takes a great deal of force, because (as i’m assuming) using pure power is not something he’s used to. he takes his feet off the ground almost every time he moves which is a big no no in earthbending- rooted stances is the entire basis of the art. it’s worth noting that as they run away, this wall crumbles easily.

earthbending is about listening and waiting- a perfect mix of offensive and defensive, hard power and soft power- and bolin seems far too flighty for that. earthbending is about being decisive and stubborn and that is not a bolin quality. he tries to cajole and evade his way around his problems (getting korra into the ring, not working with the gang, getting away from amon) instead of being tough enough to hold his ground. he’s flighty and fun-loving and quick on his feet for such a big guy and he’s got the qualities of an airbender more than anything else (which is why i love bolin and korra, because they can learn from each other so much, but that’s beside the point).

he follows through with his whole arm and back in more of a firebending movement. earthbending involves straight striking.

earthbending is the element of substance and pride and bolin doesn’t seem to have much of either, being the easy-going, fun-loving and naive goofball that we’ve seen so far. learning how to bend outside the ring is probably going to be something that’s difficult for bolin, both mentally and physically, because he’s had someone taking care of him his whole life and never had to rely on his own bending abilities. it’s also going to be difficult for him to realize that because of his association with korra people will be coming at him outside the bending ring, and that in real life, you can’t always just lose and come back and fight another day.

bolin has to learn to protect his brother and be as stubborn as the element he was born into.
Now this brings up a good point about the whole shift into the modern era in the new series. It's just yet another example of the breakdown of tradition. In the original series, the personality of the elements and the traditions behind them were so important, and the separate cultures were distinct and predictable. But in Legend of Korra, everyone's off-kilter and mixed up.

Bolin is a born earth bender, but he moves and acts like an air bender.
Korra is a born water bender, but fire is her go-to element and matches her personality best.
I don't think we've seen enough of Mako to make a call on how traditional he is, but even so - the guy can bend lightning, one of the most skillful and deadly forms of bending there is...and he shoots it into a generator for money.

What's more, before the original series, the four nations were separate but harmonious. Now that they're all living among each other in the new peace-time, what's the closes thing to harmony between the elements we've seen? The Triple-Threat Triad...

Last edited by Dark Wing; 2012-04-24 at 11:19.
Dark Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 20:26   Link #351
~BC~

New sneak peek for episode 4 (this is a mirror): http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=JnEt6tSwrOw

Non-mirrored: http://inspredwood.tumblr.com/post/2...a-gets-briefed

Last edited by ~BC~; 2012-04-24 at 20:39.
~BC~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 20:33   Link #352
Kirarakim

Ooh a new character....but I am still hoping Mako & Bolin will have a part in the next episode. I don't remember seeing them in the preview either.

I am probably most interested in seeing how the relationship between Korra and the 2 brothers grow. That is one of the reasons I liked the 3rd ep so much because I felt we got a little more insight into Mako & Bolin. Plus I enjoyed Korra working together with Mako.
Old 2012-04-25, 11:17   Link #353
Tom Bombadil

I had this weird idea that Amon has meet the face collecting spirit and exchanged his face for power to remove bending. That will be interesting.

Design of two new characters. Apologize if repost.

Link to a gif of dejected Korra (post 13).
Old 2012-04-25, 13:32   Link #354
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
I had this weird idea that Amon has meet the face collecting spirit and exchanged his face for power to remove bending. That will be interesting.
I actually thought the same thing, especially when he went on about talking to the spirits after his attack. (I also thought that maybe Amon is actually a spirit in human form.)
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-25, 15:20   Link #355
kitten320

First metal bending and now lighting bending? Things sure have degradated in 80 years. If Azula and Ozai were alive, they would eat alive those who made lighting benders work in some mine. Such great power and such lame way to use it... and they barely earn any money!

I truthfully am disappointed with this world so far =/ If benders didn't come up with anything new then there isn't much to look forward to power wise.

The main trio isn't that interesting either and power wise they suck, two brothers got totally dominated. Just how on earth are they fighting in matches?

And it really irritates me that fans are saying that Mako/Korra are incarnated Zutara. So lame and so not true! Katara and Korra stand miles away character wise. Even Mako and Zuko are very different despite being moody.

Seriously Zutara fans get over it! There was never any romance between those two so stop dreaming!
Old 2012-04-25, 15:50   Link #356
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
The main trio isn't that interesting either and power wise they suck, two brothers got totally dominated. Just how on earth are they fighting in matches?
That actually makes sense, they are used to the sport way of bending, not combat. It's just like how in the real world being a good athlete doesn't necessarily mean you will be good in a street fight, especially when their sport is non-contact anyway. Also, the power set being generally weaker also makes sense - back then the pressure is high to get as strong as possible to survive in the war, but in a time of peace practicality is more important.
Old 2012-04-25, 16:05   Link #357
james0246

Quote:
First metal bending and now lighting bending? Things sure have degradated in 80 years. If Azula and Ozai were alive, they would eat alive those who made lighting benders work in some mine. Such great power and such lame way to use it... and they barely earn any money!
I am unclear why Lightening Bending being used for practical purposes is bad. Back in the day (in the first series), Fire Bending was used to keep Balloons and Zeppelins afloat, and Water Benders and Earth Benders both used their abilities to power various types of ships. So, why is using Lightning to power an entire city bad?

Quote:
I truthfully am disappointed with this world so far =/ If benders didn't come up with anything new then there isn't much to look forward to power wise.
I think that is the point of Series 2. Benders now live in a world in which technology is quickly equaling, if not surpassing, the various Bending abilities.

The very fact that Bending has been turned into a professional game is a strong indicator that the world views Bending differently than during the time of Aang and friends. Consequently, Korra's job as the Avatar, is to figure out just how Bending (Spirituality) can coexist with a more technologically driven world that is growing beyond the current boundaries of Bending.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-25, 16:26   Link #358
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
And it really irritates me that fans are saying that Mako/Korra are incarnated Zutara. So lame and so not true! Katara and Korra stand miles away character wise. Even Mako and Zuko are very different despite being moody.

Seriously Zutara fans get over it! There was never any romance between those two so stop dreaming!
Well Zutara fans didn't get what they wanted last time and now they have Makorra. At least this ship looks promising.
Old 2012-04-25, 17:02   Link #359
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Beaver View Post
That actually makes sense, they are used to the sport way of bending, not combat. It's just like how in the real world being a good athlete doesn't necessarily mean you will be good in a street fight, especially when their sport is non-contact anyway. Also, the power set being generally weaker also makes sense - back then the pressure is high to get as strong as possible to survive in the war, but in a time of peace practicality is more important.

Exactly, if they were so powerful at the start I would find them boring characters. I think their fighting strengths should grow just as we should see them grow and develop as characters.

I do think Korra, Mako, & Bolin are going to have to learn to defend themselves because they are up against some powerful fighters. But of course I think their character growth should not just be about fighting.

The one thing that does worry me though is there seems to be a lot of characters being introduced. The series is only going to be 26 episodes in total I believe (at least for now) so I hope they aren't over-extending themselves. I would rather the series focus on a core set & really develop them.
Old 2012-04-25, 17:09   Link #360
BonBon
Rabu-rabu-zura?

It's more worrying to me that this series just won't have a satisfying sense of scale. I'd rather they tried to do too much and fell a little short than keep things unambitious and end up derivative and boring.
BonBon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avatar the last airbender, korra