AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-29, 10:09   Link #41
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubby42 View Post
I will forever feel sorry for Mikuru, she suffers so that no one else has to.
That gives a whole new meaning to that one episode of Haruhi-chan . . .
Old 2009-08-29, 10:10   Link #42
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
We will never forget the lesson you taught us... Mikuru-chan...
Mikuru: Um... I'm standing right here...
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-08-29, 21:08   Link #43
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

I think quite a bit of flak which Mikuru receives is for the way Goto-san voiced her. Seriously, even in Haruhi-chan, there were times where I just wanted her to be silent. Imagine what watchers of the "normal" series must have felt.
Old 2009-08-30, 01:07   Link #44
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Goto is amazing... the sheer endurance of putting out that much whining, crying, and screaming. Not that it doesn't drive me nuts and wish more harm on Mikuru --- but you have to give her some credit for the incessant wailing.
Old 2009-08-30, 19:11   Link #45
Tensei
Epitome of Divinity

I've been wondering this for a while....but what will happen when Mikuru graduates from NH? I mean, she's a year ahead of the other SOS Dan members, so what will happen then? Considering Haruhi's personality, would Haruhi let her go, or do something?
Old 2009-08-30, 19:15   Link #46
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Many theories. Some say the serie would end before it. Other say she would left the school but come back, older with another code name, as a teacher(I don't believe that last theory).
Old 2009-08-30, 19:34   Link #47
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Goto is amazing... the sheer endurance of putting out that much whining, crying, and screaming. Not that it doesn't drive me nuts and wish more harm on Mikuru --- but you have to give her some credit for the incessant wailing.
Aye. If you put it that way, I guess....

I just wish that she sounds more like Hiro from Hidamari. Heck, Mikuru is Hiro in the Haruhi/Hidamari OP mix.
Old 2009-08-30, 19:34   Link #48
Tensei
Epitome of Divinity

hahaha, older Mikuru as a teacher in NH, yeah i don't see how that one would work out well
Old 2009-08-30, 20:00   Link #49
Launch
Bug Catcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatth View Post
Many theories. Some say the serie would end before it. Other say she would left the school but come back, older with another code name, as a teacher(I don't believe that last theory).
Yeah, the teacher theory seems a bit far-fetched to me.

----

I think the series will finish before Mikuru graduates. Either that, or Haruhi will force her to continue coming to Brigade meetings even after she graduates. xD

She's not going to let her just leave, in any case. That's why I think the "coming back as a teacher" thing isn't really all that probable. (To Haruhi, she'd still be a different person)
Old 2009-08-30, 20:02   Link #50
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Series could easily end with her graduation, too.
Old 2009-08-30, 23:08   Link #51
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Mikuru's mistreatment is probably one of the darkest aspects of the series. Haruhi finds it amusing, and sometimes the audience does too. And since Haruhi seems to treat the whole thing as an adventure, she might be doing it because "you" want to see it. The story's more interesting that way. Remember at first, she captured Mikuru because the story needs a helpless moeblob. I feel so bad now.

Sarcasm aside, I think what happened here is the concept of "moe" gone very very wrong. Poor Mikuru; but at least she survives the ordeal.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2009-08-30 at 23:23.
Old 2009-08-30, 23:31   Link #52
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post

Sarcasm aside, I think what happened here is the concept of "moe" gone very very wrong. Poor Mikuru; but at least she survives the ordeal.
Maybe this is the entire point of Mikuru's character - maybe this is the novel writer's way of commenting on the modern otaku love of moe characters. Maybe he's saying "So, you'd like to see a moe character come to life, eh? You'd like to see a real life girl dress up and act like this, huh? Well... fine, I'll show you what happens when a real life girl is forcefully made moe." It could be a rather biting and poignant critique on moe-love within the otaku community.

Kind of like what Neon Genesis Evangelion did by taking a few beloved anime stock character types, and putting them through the realism meat-grinder.
Old 2009-08-30, 23:35   Link #53
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Were otaku overly obsessed with moe characters back in 2003? I mean, a lot of people hadn't even heard of the term until Haruhi popularized it.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
Old 2009-08-30, 23:42   Link #54
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
Were otaku overly obsessed with moe characters back in 2003? I mean, a lot of people hadn't even heard of the term until Haruhi popularized it.
The moe term itself perhaps wasn't well-known until after Haruhi, but the basic gist behind it has been around a long time. The anime/manga fan's love of girls in maid outfits, of girls in waitress outfits, of cat-girls, of girls in cute clothes... that's been around at least as long as harem anime has been around.
Old 2009-08-31, 00:00   Link #55
ac195
Koh nara dekiru!!!

Quote:
Haha, the "moe" boom.
Spoiler:
Old 2009-08-31, 00:17   Link #56
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Must have been before that. There is a 2001 horror film that supposedly "deals" with the concept of moe and the implications on the Japanese girls and the otaku males who've gone 2D/idealized schoolgirl over adult females.

That and the first Saimoe was 2002.
Old 2009-08-31, 02:49   Link #57
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Kind of like what Neon Genesis Evangelion did by taking a few beloved anime stock character types, and putting them through the realism meat-grinder.
And everyone ignored that part and just went "ooooh, robots".
Old 2009-08-31, 02:55   Link #58
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Obviously, otherwise people would've realized that Shinji was probably the least emotionally screwed up person in the series... aside from possibly Rei.

*e* ... and Kaji... at least, I don't think he had any problems... It's been a while.
Old 2009-08-31, 03:36   Link #59
ac195
Koh nara dekiru!!!

Quote:
Obviously, otherwise people would've realized that Shinji was probably the least emotionally screwed up person in the series... aside from possibly Rei.

*e* ... and Kaji... at least, I don't think he had any problems... It's been a while.
Gendou just didn't handle Shinji the right way... he should have just slapped the fail out of him...

Old 2009-08-31, 03:45   Link #60
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

You're absolutely right. Leaving your kid behind because your wife died is certainly not the right way to handle things.

For the record, your "solution" wouldn't have been the right way, either.
Closed Thread

Tags
characters