AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-09-16, 18:26   Link #101
xyrrus

I think FMA could be dubbed nicely due to the nature of the character names, the historical settings and such. However the main problem I think with many animes when dubbing is the voice acting in changing situations such as comedy relief. If the entire anime were serious the whole time, following in a nice seam of emotional expression it could be perfectly dubbed. But you know there are times when Ed goes out of a tangent in his attitude when made fun of about his height for example. Japanense voice acted animes make it seem natural to go from one situation to another because it's part of their animated culture, you see these situations in all animes, Kenshin, Naruto, etc. But in American-English acted cartoons, you don't see things like this often which makes a dubbed anime seem out of place when you hear a dub of these changing situations.
Old 2004-09-17, 19:05   Link #102
Kouji
StrykerX

Oh yeah, I remember how the townspeople in the early episodes used to make fun him about his height and he'd always get this weird face on and say "don't say I'm small" or something like that. Even Maison got into the act lol.
Old 2004-09-18, 03:22   Link #103
avmoghe

I've yet to see a single dub that I would call decent.

I wouldn't be very surprised if they took out all references to religion.. which would hurt the show tremendously.
Old 2004-09-21, 11:19   Link #104
michiru

We'll notice lots of edited scenes. Nobody can help this.
But what I am worried about is the story.
FMA treats the talk of God here and there.
Are they going to change this?
FMA is not a story of magicians....
Old 2004-09-21, 15:24   Link #105
Divine Crescent Moon

Stop complaining!

You really can't say anything about Japanese VAs being more emotional because Japan's culture is different from Western Culture so while Japanese VA may read it off one one Western VAs will read it off a little different because of the cultural differences. If you hate that fact and want it to be the exact same as you saw it in Japanese, move to Japan because you can never get it exactly the same as it was.

I don't think Funimation will screw this up with people like Square, and bones who will be making money off of this as well behind them. Square USA will not doubt have some say in the dubbing.

Personnally I wish ADV had gotten their hands on this one cause most of the ADV dubs are really good.

Also, think about this for a second. All good dubs have been done in Canada, all the super crappy dubs have been done in America, but that was in the past. THe more money that's put into bringing it over the more effort they have to put into the dub.
Old 2004-09-21, 17:10   Link #106
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divine Crescent Moon
Also, think about this for a second. All good dubs have been done in Canada, all the super crappy dubs have been done in America, but that was in the past. THe more money that's put into bringing it over the more effort they have to put into the dub.
Ahem...

The best dubs still come from Ocean Studios in Vancouver.

[/Canadian Pride]

Seriously, people need to stop whining and complaining about everything. If you're adiment that the dub will be crap and that there is no way you will ever like it or watch it, then shutup and quit posting about it. If you don't want to hear/see the dubbed version on television then don't watch it and wait until the DVDs are released. The reality is that the vast majority of anime viewers are dub exclusive (+90%), hardcore sub-only elistist are an insignificant minority that have no real influence over anything.
Old 2004-09-22, 06:16   Link #107
Tautou

Why should people refrain from posting their opinion simply because it can be considered a complaint? People aren't always going to be happy about everything, get over it. Complaining about people that complain is just as lame as people who complain about something such as their favorite anime being dubbed.

Anyway... I'm looking forward to this. It should be interesting to see what's new with Funimation, see if they've improved some. They've been doing a good job lately, I think. I'm mainly looking forward to it because of the DVD's, though.
Old 2004-09-22, 13:17   Link #108
Dev Gun
The Yokohama Killer!

Send a message via AIM to Dev Gun
bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch

thats all some of you guys do when it comes to dubbing.
Animes like Naruto and FMA will soon be Mainstream here in America so deal with it.
Soon alot of people will be wearing Naruto T shirts, and talk about it at school.
Buy the DVD's and watch them in japanese you girly men.
Old 2004-09-23, 00:51   Link #109
devilpim
Galvanic Alchemist

It's just funny when japanese Anime are dubbed.
The voice of american actresses just don't fit! The voice is too big!
Also the way they speak. Japanese tone are way softer.
It's just can't help. It's the difference from the culture.

but i'm glad that more people is going to know about FMA.
Old 2004-09-26, 23:21   Link #110
michiru

Stuff interview from nikkei characters.

Maybe fans are worried about edit,because FMA has some cruel scenes.
But the time zone we plan doesn't has big regulations.
There is no schedule of edit AT THE MOMEMT.
In fact, the country which we are worried is the region of Asia.
Especially Singapore has strong regulation and
has many people who have a feeling of dislike in Ep.7
"Night a chimera barks" a girl and a dog are compounded.
Old 2004-09-27, 01:21   Link #111
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiru
Stuff interview from nikkei characters.

Maybe fans are worried about edit,because FMA has some cruel scenes.
But the time zone we plan doesn't has big regulations.
There is no schedule of edit AT THE MOMEMT.
In fact, the country which we are worried is the region of Asia.
Especially Singapore has strong regulation and
has many people who have a feeling of dislike in Ep.7
"Night a chimera barks" a girl and a dog are compounded.
What is this? Is this an article? From where?

The English seems crude and the piece does not seem to make much sense...
Old 2004-09-29, 11:58   Link #112
Kouji
StrykerX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dev_Gun
bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch

thats all some of you guys do when it comes to dubbing.
Animes like Naruto and FMA will soon be Mainstream here in America so deal with it.
Soon alot of people will be wearing Naruto T shirts, and talk about it at school.
Buy the DVD's and watch them in japanese you girly men.
Why even bother with the posters. Because all they do is whine like little children (which btw; gets kinda annoying). And they'll never be satisfied until they get what they want.
Old 2004-09-29, 17:50   Link #113
crazyXsunshine

eh.

we all know that most dubs suck.
so due to the trend. did we REALLY expect fma to be dubber superbly?

eh.

it could be far worse.
far worse.

for know, let's just mourn the ending of FMA. instead of hating funimation for trying.
Old 2004-09-30, 01:46   Link #114
Gravi-T
Rockin' Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyXsunshine
for know, let's just mourn the ending of FMA. instead of hating funimation for trying.
Not yet! There's a movie coming out 2005 (like almost everyone knows by now), so FMA isn't over!
Old 2004-10-01, 22:13   Link #115
Arcion
(Anime Indepth)

Send a message via MSN to Arcion
Anyone know when dub comes out?

I was wondering what day and time Fma airs on CN. I think i read it somewhere on these board before but I have forgotten were it was.
Old 2004-10-01, 22:45   Link #116
Lunas
Enraged elf lover

Send a message via ICQ to Lunas Send a message via AIM to Lunas Send a message via MSN to Lunas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcion
I was wondering what day and time Fma airs on CN. I think i read it somewhere on these board before but I have forgotten were it was.
it hasnt begun yet I believe the air date was to be sometime in October or november
Old 2004-10-01, 23:07   Link #117
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

I heard it was November 8th or some date near there.
Old 2004-11-21, 21:33   Link #118
jo_jo14_6
jo_jo14_6

I've seen it dubbed already

I've already seen it dubbed and it's ok i guess. Like the jap version, the english version has its own qualities i guess. In the dubbed version, Ed's voice got deeper but he sounds a little more of laid back person than in jap and for Al, his voice isn't as high as the jap version either, but he's also pretty good. So basically, i think it's kinda satisfactory...but u won't really get the same thrill feeling you get when you watch the jap vesion because i think that the person who played Ed in english is a little monotoned during the parts where he's supposed to scream, and stuff.
Old 2004-11-24, 10:01   Link #119
nh1
KAWAIII-III!!!! >^_^ >

Hmm...

"My mother has become a despicable monster, let's kill it!"
"Let's kill lots of people to get eternal life!"
"Hey yeah! Or just do it for no reason!"
"I'm going to smash every state alchemist's brains out, and I'm also a good guy!"
"Rip my arm off, rip my leg off, then show it to the kids!"

Then again, there might be some things that the kids-who-should-not-watch-it, also don't understand. Like how being a chim(a)era / making chim(a)eras is a bad thing.
Old 2004-11-24, 10:12   Link #120
Kayoubi
Togame's Sword

There is something really wrong with NA VA's for Japanese animes. Somehow they find a way to totally kill off all emotions in the script. Every time i watch DBZ, i crinch when i hear vegeta sounding like hulk hogan.

I know that the translated text should match the mouth animations and thus would compromise the full vocabulary in our english language, ... it seems something went totally wrong in the process and left us with cheesy anime that lost the original meaning. (yu-gi-oh, digimon, pokemon, hamtaro, gundam seed included). when i watch the japanese version of gundam seed i loved it! but what a turn off it was after dubbing...

So for FMA, which is one of my favorite animes also, i hope they either get it right, or please leave it alone
Closed Thread